Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Ridiculous eBay Auctions

Comments

• oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,623
    If you buy the photo, scan it and turn it into a digital file, that's the same. 
  • LuLegoLuLego UKMember Posts: 1,010
    Similarly, there is a guy selling the instructions to the unreleased Lego ironman laboratory. The instructions are freely available online as a PDF, which was from the Lego club magazine. He's selling the link for £2 a go! I reported this to eBay ages ago (not interested) as he's not actually selling something that he owns. The instructions aren't his property (intellectual or otherwise) to sell to others. The instructions, as they aren't in the printed form, belong to Lego.
     Maybe the only way to beat him is to list my own version of his auction for 1p to rival his £2.
    Amanda1983kiki180703
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,445
    ^Can't you post questions about anyone's listing so everyone can see?
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,623
    ^ If I remember correctly, the seller has to post the question to their own listing.
    oldtodd33 said:
    ^ If I remember correctly, the seller has to post the question to their own listing.
    I couldn't remember. I wish it was like Amazon where one can post questions about the product openly and have them answered by the lister.
    Amanda1983kiki180703
    ^I think they accidentally put an extra "8" in the listing.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,196
    MattsWhat said:
    Hey, don't knock it.  I just used right click/save as to save myself $75 (what they charge for a digital version of the image).  I'm going to use those savings to buy an actual gun mounting system, making it a freebie. Woo!
    (If anyone else wants to save some money too, here you go:httpiebayimgcomimagesgBtYAAOSwhh5Tm2kqs-l1600jpg)
    If I take a photo of your photo then I can sell it on mugs and T-shirts, and maybe even on a decal to put on a minifigure torso (and a fake one at that).
    MattsWhatcatwranglerPitfall69Amanda1983DeMonteskiki180703
  • brumeybrumey AustriaMember Posts: 1,002

market street for 80,- ... i just love this listing !  so much creativity
  • brumeybrumey AustriaMember Posts: 1,002
    or this for 130,-

from local fleamarket internet site 
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    ^It certainly is colorful.
    brumey said:
    or this for 130,-

from local fleamarket internet site 
    Renny said:
    ^It certainly is colorful.

I am more concerned if somebody buys this; will they own the sets? ;)
    BobflipMattsWhatdavetheoxygenmanAmanda1983bandit778kiki180703bobabricks
  • RecceRecce Tiny Little Red DotMember Posts: 923
    bandit778 said:
    All the hair pieces are being used in next year's modular -  Wig Shop.
    Did someone mention about hair? :-)

Amanda198377ncaachampstallblocktookiki180703Ayliffe
  • chrisalddinchrisalddin UKMember Posts: 3,024
    hair today, gone tomorrow.

chuckpGothamConstructionCokiki180703
  • chuckpchuckp NYMember Posts: 684
    edited April 2016
    With the recent discussion of the Chinese knock-offs in the secondary market thread, I thought this was fitting:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/lot-of-20-sets-building-toys-City-Priates-with-20-Minifigures-fit-lego-in-bag/381591972582

This listing features some of your favorite themes like Racers, Pirates, Space and soon-to-be new favorites Brick, Girls, Work and Pigboat!

Bumblepantskiki180703AllBrick
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 14,892
    I'd like to see the Rosetta Stone genius that got 'Pigboat' from whatever the original word was...
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,196
    A pigboat is a submarine.
    chuckpkiki180703
  • Legopassion8Legopassion8 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,181
  • Legopassion8Legopassion8 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,181
    edited April 2016
    Apparently my name is Catherine May today :)
  • GentlyBenevolentGentlyBenevolent Member Posts: 338

Done know if anyone else has seen this Chinese copy seller...........

"Rough & Tumbler" anyone ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172135477398?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Check out lego-toy's 100% feedback & his other listed items

http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/lego-toy?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

I'm going to bed now to cry myself to sleep :(........... 

chuckpkiki180703
    CCC said:
    Huh, never heard that before. I guess you do learn something new everyday. 

Done know if anyone else has seen this Chinese copy seller...........

"Rough & Tumbler" anyone ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172135477398?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Check out lego-toy's 100% feedback & his other listed items

http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/lego-toy?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

I'm going to bed now to cry myself to sleep :(........... 

^ I've seen that Tumbler before. It's popped up on those "People were also interested in" at the bottom of pages for me before when I've searched for the UCS Tumbler. I truly feel bad for any kid who receives one of those. 
    VorpalRyukiki180703
    edited April 2016
    CCC said:
    Hmm.  Now I'm even more confused.  So, that seems to be a pretty specialized brand.  Or is that the collection theme name... just for submarine-related knock-offs.

Such questions.  Things to ponder.
    VorpalRyuchuckpkiki180703
    edited April 2016
    ^ I believe the brand is ironically titled Enlighten and Pigboat was their Atlantis-style theme. If they actually were enlightened maybe they would come up with their own box art designs, fonts, etc. :)

I also forgot to mention in the first post that one of the themes was appropriately called "Shifty". They could also swap an "f" for a "t" and be even closer to the mark!

VorpalRyuGoldchainssnowhitiekiki180703andhe
    Shifty is basically the City sub-theme?  This nomenclature is very confusing.
    VorpalRyukiki180703
    ^ I would agree. I have no idea what the heck they were doing with their branding, but from the look of sets, I don't think they do either. 
    VorpalRyuSumoLegokiki180703
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,758
    SumoLego said:
    Shifty is basically the City sub-theme?  This nomenclature is very confusing.
    "Shifty". You can certainly say that again.
    chuckpVorpalRyuflordSumoLegocatwranglereanairkiki180703bobabricks
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,756
    Enlighten has shown up on the forum before...

http://brickset.com/article/7722/reviews-of-chinese-clone-brands
    http://www.1000steine.com/brickset/miscellaneous/clonebrands.pdf

Enlighten – The trade name of the Zhongyue Industry Company that makes many blatant LEGO copies and is the major brand in China. Currently they market under the name Concord Toys. They make a full range of LEGO themes, and also a lot of military sets with camouflage patterned bricks (although they can be a rather startling green colour). Some more recent sets have begun to diverge from duplicates, although mostly the kit design is not as good as LEGO and is rather blocky. They sell their non-motorised train sets as separate kits, so whole rakes of trucks and carriages can be purchased. Enlighten minifigs are direct copies of LEGO. Rather more unique is their kit of a worryingly realistic full scale working handgun that fires 3x1 technic rods (set ‘407’ is well worth a web search).  

My important question - is there a font where the letters are deliberately not lined up, inconsistent outlines and of slightly different sizes?

I would say they are doing it on purpose, but I think that is significantly more work.
  • Jackad7Jackad7 Wisconsin Member Posts: 555
    You know, it's like the same thing. Just like buying stuff from the cheap chinese resellers at flea markets, they basically sell name brand stuff.
    AllBrick
    Basically the same thing? Cubic Zirconia is basically the same thing as a diamond right?
    gmonkey76Jackad7catwranglerkiki180703AllBrick
    Kinda like if you just add some pressure to a lump of coal, it's just like a diamond.
    Jackad7catwranglerkiki180703andhe
    http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=262379550247&alt=web 
    I've lost faith in the legitimacy of any expensive mini figures.
    ^I would just deal with people on Brickset when it comes to Minifigures.
    Jackad7SumoLegokiki180703
    Pitfall69 said:
    Normally I don't buy individual figures on ebay, but I saw this and pressed buy it now right away, the multiple of them sent a red flag and when I saw it was a zero feedback seller from the Asian region (I don't know what it said) I realized it was fake 
    Jackad7 said:
    Pitfall69 said:
    Normally I don't buy individual figures on ebay, but I saw this and pressed buy it now right away, the multiple of them sent a red flag and when I saw it was a zero feedback seller from the Asian region (I don't know what it said) I realized it was fake 
    Well, at least you will get your money back from ebay.
    Jackad7
    Jackad7 said:
    http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=262379550247&alt=web 
    I've lost faith in the legitimacy of any expensive mini figures.
    Well that sucks. It was one thing when the knock-offs were loose figures, but now they are copying the packaging too. We start messaging the counterfeiters and tell them there's more money in Shopkins fakes. 
    Jackad7kiki180703
    I think that photo was appropriated as well.  I don't doubt the actual photos of what you are bidding on would look very different.
    ^ I hope that was the case, because I compared the fake listing to the ones currently listed and it looked the same. Right down to the bag size / type and card size. 
  • NickF22NickF22 United KingdomMember Posts: 480
    http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/141956895563
    #10181 Eiffel Tower starting at £750.... but the seller has just 2 feedback, as a buyer, and weirdly they are from different sellers but have exactly the same text (maybe it's a standard positive feedback text?)
  • sdetskysdetsky Member Posts: 35
    NickF22 said:
    #10181 Eiffel Tower starting at £750.... but the seller has just 2 feedback, as a buyer, and weirdly they are from different sellers but have exactly the same text (maybe it's a standard positive feedback text?)
    Not that I am an expert in eBay, but considering the starting price is reasonable, the photo looks to be authentic (because why else would someone use a photo where the box is so beat up), the seller admits the box condition in the listing and welcomes all inspections, this seems to pass the smell test.
    NickF22 said:
    The member since 2016 with both feedback in the past month is definitely a red flag. It says free shipping collect in person for me, maybe because I'm in the US? Seems like a second red flag for me. Easier to scam someone by free pickup than a tracked package. Message him asking very specific details about it, and keep a conversation running (how long he's had it, where he got it) I've found it usually flushes out bad sellers.
  • SuperTrampSuperTramp City 17Member Posts: 1,021
    edited April 2016
    Think you look into things to much.

Your also forgetting if you pay with paypal the seller's funds will be held until the buyer leaves feedback because he's a new seller.  

He also tried to sell a Tower Bridge which looks to to be the same red carpet has the one in the Eiffel tower pictures.

Seems legit to me.
  • DeMontesDeMontes North YorkshireMember Posts: 740
    I'm not sure how it's easier to scam someone with local pickup... I would go and pay cash only if I was happy on inspecting it or pay with paypal and go through the 'not as described' route for refund if I found parts missing.
  • SuperTrampSuperTramp City 17Member Posts: 1,021
    Ive just asked and received a reply almost instantly 

I asked 

''Hi,

Could i see this built if i collected it? or have you dismantled it?''

He replied

''Of course you could. I would only sell it built. That way you can be 100% sure''

DeMontes
    http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=252362227600&alt=web 
    This guy is going all in on the expensive Lego sets scam
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,756
    ^Built once, never disassembled, and no picture of the assembled Falcon in the auction, but it still sold for $3001. Wow.
    Wow!!!
    edited April 2016
    looking at the Bid history.
    you can see that some one bid up the item Price. on a new account.
    12 time's!
    andhekiki180703
    They better be happy with the picture of the box and manual, because they're never going to see that Falcon...
    Jackad7kiki180703
    edited April 2016
    oh and it is in Malaysia. that is a red flag right there.