Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Pick a Brick Wall Value

Tufted_duckTufted_duck Edinburgh Member Posts: 77
I'm based in Edinburgh so my nearest Lego store is in Glasgow. Not far but would cost about £13 on the train (I don't have a car) which is sort of the baseline cost for my trip.

With that in mind is the Pick a Brick Wall value any better than i would find on Bricklink?

Never had a chance to PAB so will likely do it one day for the novelty but wondered if it was worth it economically. 

I'm aware that it depends on what is on offer and what I'm after (Bricklink is likely better when it comes to choice of parts) but i dont even know what size the PAB cups are so have no basis for comparison. 

Any help greatly appreciated

Comments

• paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,947
    edited April 2016
    It's been a few years since I've used a PaB wall myself, but you can get a good idea of what's available on them by looking at http://wallofbricks.com/.

My general impression was that it's cheaper than Bricklink (I think you can fit about a thousand 1x2 plates in a large cup?), but obviously there is far, far less variety, so it's probably only worth if if they have what you need.

The bulkier parts can be frustrating if you want to try and maximize the use of your cups. I used to fill the gaps with random 1x1 pieces that I never really needed in the first place :D

Generally, though, if I were going to buy 5 or more cups, I wouldn't let £13 of travel costs put me off.
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    edited April 2016
    ^essentially - don't bother going specially.
    That sounds a bit harsh but the PAB wall in my experience is never worth going for on it's own, given it'll cost you £13 to get there.  Don't forget that appearing in a PAB wall will reduce the price of the elements on bricklink too.
    The PAB is nice if you are there though (and the odd occasion it has the exact thing you are looking for), and depending on the elements works out pretty good value.  If you were making the trip anyway then go nuts!
  • brumeybrumey AustriaMember Posts: 994
    save those 13 and order from bricklink. better selection to choose from! with the 13 pounds alone you get a shitload of bricks!

for instance 50cents gets you around 150 brick 2x4 with random color
    brumey said:

Wow, where's that?
    MattsWhat said:
    That sounds a bit harsh but the PAB wall in my experience is never worth going for on it's own, given it'll cost you £13 to get there.  Don't forget that appearing in a PAB wall will reduce the price of the elements on bricklink too.
    The PAB is nice if you are there though (and the odd occasion it has the exact thing you are looking for), and depending on the elements works out pretty good value.  If you were making the trip anyway then go nuts!
    But if you've never ever been to a PaB wall before, I'd say it's certainly worth it just for the novelty!
    Kevin_Hyatt
  • Tufted_duckTufted_duck Edinburgh Member Posts: 77
    Thanks guys. Think i will pop along at some point just for the experience. 

Now we're just waiting for @brumey to reveal his amazing Bricklink connections...

edited April 2016
    ^^I guess, but I find that once you have seen a load of sorted bricks (for me I just have to look inside the sofa storage) it's not all that much more exciting going to the PAB.  To be fair though, I would write the £13 off to see the lastest sets built up and have a chat with the amazing staff in my store - filling the PAB cups is then just a bonus if I fancy something there.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,565
    brumey said:

For that price I can only assume you mean for heavily used / filler bricks and excluding postage though. For new in any quantity, you are looking at at least 5p per brick (nearer 10p in UK), more for specific colours.

Thanks guys. Think i will pop along at some point just for the experience. 

I think you have to look at it that way. Everyone should do it at least once. More if they have parts that you find useful. I dread to think how many I fill every time they have LBG 1x4 bricks.

edited April 2016
    yea.  used.  filler bricks

http://alpha.bricklink.com/pages/clone/catalogitem.page?id=264#T=S&O={}

yellow brick 2x4    0.003 cent each
    catwrangler
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,732
    I find Bricklink a bit overwhelming, but am slowly finding my way around it, and I was reassured recently to discover just how incredibly cheap some stuff is on there - if you want 2 x 3 red slopes for roofing, they're a penny, or a Euro cent, each from a lot of French stores on there - at that rate of going, I could roof an entire village for a few quid, and the postage wouldn't be a deterrent! 

http://alpha.bricklink.com/pages/clone/catalogitem.page?P=3298&idColor=5&name=Red Slope 33 3 x 2&category=[Slope]#T=S&C=5&O={"color":5}

It does make up a little for the fact that there isn't a Lego store/PaB wall on this entire island! I do plan to try and visit a PaB wall next time I'm in a town with a Lego store in GB though, just for the experience...
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,918
    @Tufted_duck
    I have the same issue of not having a Lego store nearby so usually wait until a promotion that I want is available then plan a trip accordingly to buy sets. This way the PAB cups are a bonus while I am there and not the reason for going.
    Also, don't forget that you get money off a PAB cup for reusing it on future visits.
    edited April 2016
    you dont get money for re-using.  they just dont charge for the cup if you bring your own with the barcode still on!

and yes. bricklink is very overwhelming. took me half a year to get the hang of it somehow.  still learning ... sometimes bricklink sucks me in for hours! so much items and everything categorized to the fullest!
    CCC said:
     I dread to think how many I fill every time they have LBG 1x4 bricks.

Are you building a wall to keep the Mexicans out?
    MattsWhat said:
    CCC said:

Told you that was going to happen
    brumey said:

But then look at the extras ... it's 330g or so, so 9.50 Euro postage within France (their home country), more for abroad. Then plus an extra 25c lot fee, then an extra paypal fee of 54c plus another 4% of the order.

So you are up at about 11.50-12.00 Euros for just under one cup full of bricks, which are probably very dirty and or broken filler only at the cheap price they are listed.

I'd travel to the PAB wall if reasonably close.

The good thing about Glasgow (and Leeds) is that the stores are very close to major train stations so easy to access if travelling through the city. So if you have an appointment in Glasgow, chances are you are very close anyway (Queen St is really close). Just allow yourself two hours for maximal packing efficiency for a couple of cups :-)

MattsWhat said:
    CCC said:

No, wrong era. For me it is mainly Visigoths, Carthaginians, Huns and sometimes Trojans or Greeks that I am trying to keep out depending on what side I am playing.
    bandit778BumblepantsGothamConstructionCo
    Thanks all! Good points made and i think more reason to give it a go then not. One thing though- anyone confirm the current UK price per cup?
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,918
    I think it is £11.99 for a large cup and £6.99 for a small cup.
    I have 2 large cups that I always use and I think you get 75p refund per cup for re-using them.
    Tufted_duck
    edited April 2016
    CCC said:
    brumey said:

But then look at the extras ... it's 330g or so, so 9.50 Euro postage within France (their home country), more for abroad. Then plus an extra 25c lot fee, then an extra paypal fee of 54c plus another 4% of the order.

So you are up at about 11.50-12.00 Euros for just under one cup full of bricks, which are probably very dirty and or broken filler only at the cheap price they are listed.

I'd travel to the PAB wall if reasonably close.

The good thing about Glasgow (and Leeds) is that the stores are very close to major train stations so easy to access if travelling through the city. So if you have an appointment in Glasgow, chances are you are very close anyway (Queen St is really close). Just allow yourself two hours for maximal packing efficiency for a couple of cups :-)

i see your point now! bricklink also definitely is more timeconsuming. in the end it comes down to how often and at which quantities you are buying bricks! and surely what kind of bricks!
    Bricklink is also portable and addictive.

Oh just a little order... ah theres a minimum.. I'll get that too... now i need this from someone else...Terrifying
    JennibrumeySquirrelArmy
    ^ And that is before the six week wait for your order to be posted (according to some feedback).

That is a particularly bad BL seller. They are massively inflating postage costs to offer cheap prices on bricks. Fortunately not all are like that.

I place many more BL orders than PAB cups, mainly for the variety but also the price. It can be cheaper to get parts from BL. But sought after bricks tend to be pricey still.

• koshkakoshka UK/SwedenMember Posts: 193
    It feels like the wall is gives less value than it used to e.g. 2x2 tiles were very good a year ago. I did think that Stratford was more interesting than in recent months when I was there last week. If I was more in to creative building and MOCs then there were plenty of bricks with side studs. I ended up buying a cup on the off chance that it would increase my creativity.

It's occasionally worth asking if you want a specific common brick. I needed a lot of 1x4 white plates last year and they got a box from the back so that I could fill a cup up. It depends a bit on how busy they are and possibly the individual member of staff.

Word of warning on Bricklink. There's a French seller at the top of a lot of the price guides at the moment. Delve in to their feedback and there's been some nasty delivery charge surprises. I've found the Czech Republic and Hungary to be good for used parts.
    catwranglerbrumey
    I've not had too many issues with BL so far but yeah certainly have been bitten by a bad seller. Had to rely on the paypal claim system, which worked out alright. 

Defo see what you mean about the PAB vs BL pricing so hopefully it'll have something worthwhile when i go across. 

Aside from wall of bricks any way of predicting what might be there- Or is it shop by shop? 

Cheers @koshka havent used too many sellers outside of the uk but will start taking a look
  • koshkakoshka UK/SwedenMember Posts: 193
    There seems to be less and less difference these days. Stockholm and Stratford had a similar selection the last time I went to the stores during a two week period. Kevin_Hyatt's regular videos of the Sheffield wall give a good idea of what you might find elsewhere - see the Pick a Brick thread in Shopping UK. Having just moaned about the lack of 2x2 tiles it looks like Sheffield has tan coloured ones.
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,392
    I'd love to see dark red 1x2 and 1x1 plates in PaB. Maybe I would Bricklink the Robie House.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,302
    MattsWhat said:
    I think you are right when it comes to distance and cost to get to the store. If it costs a lot then maybe you do not want to do it (then again you can get more than 1 BaP cup and there is the build a minifigure as well). Unless there is a rare-ish part in the PaB wall (or just a lot of a part you need, like 1x4 brick).  I think even with prices 'dropping' from some sellers on BL (lets face it most there know what the parts are worth and they are not selling to lose money or break even), I think it is still worth it to hit the LEGO store for parts. Especially if you are buying bulk or they happen to get a rare-ish part in stock (like 2x2 tile -which case be costly on BL in large quantities-, or 1x2 Masonry brick-though I'm not sure if those have been seen since LEGO's policy change with stores ordering brick). Plus you also have to pay shipping as well with the sellers and insurance or hope the parts arrive OK (and again bulk parts cost more to ship as well). . Finally there is the whole 'I would rather give my money to LEGO than resellers' argument. In my case I occasionally run up to the mall with the LEGO store in it but the store has a higher sales tax than where I live, so I definitely do not go there to buy a large set. Most times I hit up my LEGO store for a PaB cup, lately the BaM section (especially if there are rare-ish parts like the bottle with the grape label on it, or animals like the seasgull or cat), and if there is a promo going on.

yea. BaM worth a visit