Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Blank minifigures

hsolohsolo Member Posts: 1
can anybody tell me where I can acquire blank minifigures 

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,725
    You cannot buy them as blank minifigures. You can buy blank minifigure parts though, from bricklink, some parts direct from lego, ebay, brickowl, etc.

Take a look here ...

http://bricksetforum.com/discussion/17570/monochrome-minifigures-how-to-start-collecting/p1

madforLEGO
  • rolyateelrolyateel Member Posts: 42
    I think there are 29 possible monochrome figures in all...and yes, you have to either cannibalise your collection for parts, or buy parts on BL or Torso's / Legs etc and gradually assemble the figures

TyresOFlahertyDiggydoessnowhitietallblocktooJohnnyfinlandiaNatebw
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,079
    rolyateel said:
    I think there are 29 possible monochrome figures in all...and yes, you have to either cannibalise your collection for parts, or buy parts on BL or Torso's / Legs etc and gradually assemble the figures

That Pic makes me so jealous :(
    rolyateelLordmoral
  • GothamConstructionCoGothamConstructionCo Colchester UKMember Posts: 741
    @rolyateel, I'm assuming that many of those parts required wiping. 

I have started piecing monochromies together myself slowly. but am too much of a purist to wipe parts myself. 
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,742

I have started piecing monochromies together myself slowly. but am too much of a purist to wipe parts myself. 
    Wouldn't it be easier to turn the torso around...? It's not like you are displaying the back side of the minifig, usually.
    GothamConstructionCo
  • GothamConstructionCoGothamConstructionCo Colchester UKMember Posts: 741
    edited April 2016
    ^ I'd know it's there ;o)
    madforLEGObandit778
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    I love the monochrome figs! Very hard to collect this many, and I have been at it for 8 years. (I do cheat and turn heads and torsos around if necessary.) They look wonderful together. Thanks for the pic!

• GIR3691GIR3691 Member Posts: 665
    It's more frustrating to do than you'd think. Especially sand blue. Everything is common except the hands, which are quite rare and expensive.
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 571
    GIR3691 said:
    It's more frustrating to do than you'd think. Especially sand blue. Everything is common except the hands, which are quite rare and expensive.
    Yet the complete Lady Cyclops fig can be found for less than the cost of just the hands, and it looks like that fig would also give you the arms and head.
    andhe

only the lime green torso...all others are blank.
    It's taken me nearly 2 years of gradually finding the parts
    GothamConstructionCo
    SirBen said:
    GIR3691 said:
    Yet the complete Lady Cyclops fig can be found for less than the cost of just the hands, and it looks like that fig would also give you the arms and head.
    This is correct, sand blue is quite easy due to this common figure. The difficult blue is medium blue (BL name), coming only in an old Waldo minifig. There are a number of pinks that have come out recently too that appear in only one figure, btu hopefully now they are making those colours they will start to appear in more figures.
    77ncaachamps
    This guy has a great collection including colour coded accessories ...and also one of parts that can't make a full monochrome figures (yet)
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/schlectus/sets/72157649595215137
    GothamConstructionCo
    Has anyone got the Disney minifigs yet? If so, what colour is Stitch. He might be medium blue, probably not, but great if he is.
    CCC said:
    Has anyone got the Disney minifigs yet? If so, what colour is Stitch. He might be medium blue, probably not, but great if he is.
    I have my eye on a few of the Disney MF's as I think they may be good for monochrome parts...Stitch was one of them!
    Johnnyfinlandia
  • mpfirnhabermpfirnhaber Member Posts: 65
    I have 21 complete monochrome figs that need a good home. Message me and we'll talk.
    CCC said:
    SirBen said:
    GIR3691 said:
    This is correct, sand blue is quite easy due to this common figure. The difficult blue is medium blue (BL name), coming only in an old Waldo minifig. There are a number of pinks that have come out recently too that appear in only one figure, btu hopefully now they are making those colours they will start to appear in more figures.
    Woops. I meant medium blue.
    andhe
  • CurvedRoadPlateCurvedRoadPlate Member Posts: 257
    Has anyone put together a guide of what parts come from what figs? I have started making some of these using parts from Bricks and Pieces
    Yes, there are a few spreadsheets detailing this. Search in the BL forum, there is usually one there.
    77ncaachamps
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,562
    http://www.bricklink.com/message.asp?ID=975318

Not my work, the original poster must have put a lot of effort into this spreadsheet. It has links that do lookups in bricklink to find the parts

77ncaachampsBrickfan50
    FigBits of Canada has a link to monochromatic figs on his Bricklink Splash page. He offers many of the parts. (Be prepared to rob a bank first!)

I already had most of the torsos and had to place over 20 BL orders this week to pick up most of the ones not in my collection. I am building a couple of spare copies, too. Afraid to total the cost to date! And there are many more colors than are shown in the wonderful photo above! Good Luck!!!
    rolyateel said:

Did you wipe the micro figs, and if so, how? It is frustrating finding them in many colors, and too expensive for ones in black and blue. 
    legogal said:
    rolyateel said:

Did you wipe the micro figs, and if so, how? It is frustrating finding them in many colors, and too expensive for ones in black and blue. 
    I just bought them as plain on BL
    They may well be wiped then. There have been a number of outings of sellers of plain parts over the years where it turns out they've wiped parts and sold them as new.

Wiping microfigs is not so hard. Use a piece of kitchen roll with a little brasso or dilute acetone and wrap it round a wooden lolly stick. Then rub the microfig on the stick.
  • xwingpilotxwingpilot UKMember Posts: 797
    ^ Po'lish Remover of Na'il surely?
    bricktuarySumoLegoBumblepantschuckpandheRainstorm26
    Speaking of medium blue, the hands are available in Genie and Stitch from the Disney CMFs. A purple head is also available for the first time with Buzz Lightyear.
    bobabricks
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,419
    Don't forget to collect monochrome droids to accompany the figs where possible.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,912
    Collecting these would drive me insane.  You'd have to monitor literally every released minifigure.

What is the consensus if say, one of the SDCC figures had translucent purple hands - an exclusive piece.  Is it worth 'discarding' the rest of that figure for the hands?
    brumey
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,419
    ^^ Personally, no.

Just picked up #41111 for the yellow bike, it also contains a lime green headpiece as a balloon. 
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    edited April 2016
    SumoLego said:
    Collecting these would drive me insane.  You'd have to monitor literally every released minifigure.

What is the consensus if say, one of the SDCC figures had translucent purple hands - an exclusive piece.  Is it worth 'discarding' the rest of that figure for the hands?
    What if it was a part that needed wiping?
    At least if it didn't need wiping you could put it back together in the future.  Wiping expensive parts must be tough - or are they worth more after, as they become monochrome gold.
    SumoLego said:

Has an SDCC minifig ever had an exclusive part? I don't recall one. They seem to print on existing parts.

The medium blue hands from Watto have been the worst, but it looks like that shortage will soon be resolved.
    @CCC The recent comments have been really helpful. So glad to see the shortage of medium blue hands ease up. Have not yet tried wiping, and don't think I would try that  on an expensive printed part. 

It has been fun collecting many of the blank parts not in my collection, but some of these are just too pricey or too rare or nonexistent. I have to admit that seeing the first photos on here of a monochrome collection really made me salivate to own them!

There is a bit of a Zen aura around the monochromes....maybe going back to a time before figs were printed. A simpler time in minifigville for sure. Peace!
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,840
    CCC said:
    SumoLego said:

Has an SDCC minifig ever had an exclusive part? I don't recall one. They seem to print on existing parts.

The Batman from last year's con had a purple cowl.
    CCC
  • NatebwNatebw Tampa BayMember Posts: 339
    Oh man, I hadn't thought of using the microfigs as monochrome "babies."

I keep my monochrome minifigs in an colorworld where each minifigs "power" is proportional to the area of the bricks of the same color... Fluctuates over time.

catwranglerAllBrickTheMaker37
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,144
    Whenever I visited relatives in Germany in the 1980s, I would go to toy stores looking for rare or old LEGO sets... among them one set I always would buy when I found it was the 277 Fireplace set... a Homemaker set.

The reason I liked it so much was because it came out the year before minifigs (1977), and there were 5 solid stud red (plain) heads, and 4 black ones....

There were only 4 colors... yellow (early Minifig "stiffs"), red, black and trans-clear, although 2 BL stores claim to have them in white.

Among the ones in sets back in the 1970s... the red ones were the most rare.

catwranglerbobabricksSumoLegoAllBrick
    Gary, do those heads match the early minifig torso and leg pieces? The ones without moving limbs... I wanted to make monochrome figs with those parts, but modern blank heads don't match very well.
    Wow! Nice find, Gary!

I have always collected pastel heads to serve as flower planters for my pastel houses. Too bad I didn't pick up all the matching arms, legs, hands and torsos!

Gary, do those heads match the early minifig torso and leg pieces? The ones without moving limbs... I wanted to make monochrome figs with those parts, but modern blank heads don't match very well.

When you say "don't match"... do you mean color, attachment fitting, or something else??

By the way... the last usage of the the solid stud head with Minifig "stiffs" was the 1980-83 1592 Town Square set (known in UK and Dutch versions).... it had a black statue made of those parts....

Also... thanks @legogal !!

catwranglerbobabricks
    I mean color - particularly the red and blue
    Ah yes, the modern red and blue are a brighter color than they were in the 1970s.

I'm curious to know if those 2 Bricklink sellers actually have solid stud white heads for sale?  One is a zero sales seller, so that makes it doubtful, but the other is not.  Usually when you order something of an exotic color for that part... it turns out not to be the right part.
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,840
    @Istokg You could always ask for pictures from the seller.
    Yes, but photos do not always show problems. Like printed torsos that have been wiped. There can be very fine lines that do not show up in photos, but you can still see them. And rare colors can be a real problem because they are often listed under the wrong color. Many similar colors show up poorly in photos depending on the light.