Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

71040 "Minifigures" D2C speculation

Comments

• tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,965
    I still think Disney is the most logical choice and honestly is what I have been assuming they would do. Simpson mini figures came out and there was a large set. Disney mini figures come out and I could easily see a large set also coming out.

Remember Disneyland is Sleeping Beauty's castle... 

In addition they could do a train, parade, etc. 
    LostInTranslationdougtskiki180703Amanda1983
  • iso3200iso3200 97 miles from Brickset TowersMember Posts: 2,050

Obviously not since you edited your comment Chris! :-) 
    Sorry - crossed posts. Was getting ahead of myself!
    LostInTranslationkiki180703
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,122
    Speculated rather than mentioned.
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 1,363
    It's either Big Ben or The Village.
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,577
    Oh.  Grrr. Got to wait some more then :-(
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,291
    Big Ben I think.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,267
    It would be very entertaining if it is a Technic set or a Mindstorms set..
  • William_TownsleyWilliam_Townsley Perth, Scotland Member Posts: 880
    Big Ben would be nice. 
  • maniacmaniac Yorkshire, UKMember Posts: 826
    Big Ben with #40220 London Bus as a sweetener in June? 
    LostInTranslationkiki180703Lego_Star
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    I think it is likely something Disney related. The previous two D2C sets in this number sequence were the Simpson's House and Kwik-E-Mart, and both were released to coincide with a wave of CMF minifigures.  It seems logical to me that the D2C set being released would also coincide with the upcoming licensed CMF minifigures.  And of course these are Disney, so there you go.

Honestly, I would be shocked if it were anything else.
    Amanda1983
  • flordflord CanadaMember Posts: 745
    My money is on it being the Android's Dungeon. Any chance though of Rio Olympics-related minifigs?
    bgl_84kiki180703
  • Werewolf_pooWerewolf_poo Bonnie ScotlandMember Posts: 71
    Please be a big minifigure set. That would be a great one for the collection 
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,562
    flord said:
    My money is on it being the Android's Dungeon. Any chance though of Rio Olympics-related minifigs?
    No Olympic figures this time. Just German Football/Soccer CMFs for Euro 2016.
    The Rio Olympics are getting 2 brick built versions of the mascots or whatever, they were posted a long time ago.
    edited April 2016
    Ooooooooh! Yes please! 
    Thanks @CM4S!  I've been patiently (not really) waiting for news of this D2C set - being uninterested in Assault on Hoth,  Big Ben, Minecraft Village or VW Beetle - and a Cinderella Castle would be perfect for me! 
    Amanda1983kiki180703
  • Legopassion8Legopassion8 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,181
    Yes. Perfect. Exactly!
  • bricktuarybricktuary Krakozhia (temporarily stuck in London)Member Posts: 549
    Sounds plausible.  Also sounds expensive and I REALLY want Big Ben and a Millenium Falcon this year. 

And the new Technics obviously. 

I need to start saving.....
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    CM4S said:
    Spread the word - 71040 is the Disneyworld Cinderella Castle - Tinker Bell minifigure possibly included.
    I was rather hoping Tinkerbell would be in a second Disney CMF series.
    (Needless to say hoping we got a second series, as it also needs Jasmine to go with Aladdin... And Frozone... And Mr Smee... And Aurora... And Lilo... Etc etc) :0)
    Amanda1983
    Frozone!  Frozone!

He's a bad motha'*****
    pharmjodMynattAmanda1983kiki180703
  • lego187lego187 United StatesMember Posts: 16
    Lego better not ruin this set!
    pharmjodJern92Amanda1983kiki180703
    Yeah, a Disney set is what I have been presuming. If this set is done right, it will be an instant buy for me. 
    pharmjoddougtsJern92Amanda1983kiki180703
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,912
    edited April 2016
    If they go full Monty and do death star treatment on it, well that would be epic. And would still sell out in hours. I'm kinda hoping its a full $400. I'd like to see LEGO pull out all the stops and make this a statement piece.
    dougtsAmanda1983kiki180703
  • LegoPegasister2015LegoPegasister2015 New YorkMember Posts: 139

Amanda1983kiki180703
    ^ Sharing the exact same info posted above.
    Amanda1983
  • goshe7goshe7 Columbus, Ohio, USAMember Posts: 515
    ^ Yes, but you can see a full 2:04 minutes of text telling the same info and showing no pictures.  Thanks, I guess. :|

(And a sincere thanks for the confirmation.  Very excited to see the pics when they actually get out).
    Amanda1983
  • wayneggwaynegg Texas,USAMember Posts: 394
    edited April 2016
    gmonkey76 said:
    ^ but we all know that's a LEGO no no
    And I don't really get that. The Mini Cooper, the Waiter from Series 9(?), the Parisian Restaurant and many others feature wine. Is it all about the "class" of the spirits featured in a LEGO set because the no alcohol schtick has been breached far too many times for that rule to hold water. Similarly, the no modern weapons schtick when we have the DC line full of revolvers, semi auto pistols, and tommy guns and Star Wars and the various plasma blasters now that those actually exist. The Dark Knight movies contain soooo much content which violates the spirit of LEGO yet there have been plenty of sets based on the series. But Game of Thrones is off limits because boobs. LEGO omits the extreme violence in the Batman movies, I'm sure it could avoid a nude Daenerys just as easily. 
    Amanda1983
  • LuLegoLuLego UKMember Posts: 994
    So it's Cinderella's castle.
    i thought the big castle in Disneyland was sleeping beauty's castle. Possibly the one in euro Disney (I was there last week) belongs to sleeping beauty and the Disneyland in America is Cinderella. 

Either castle, it'll be a certain purchase... If the rumour really is true.
    Amanda1983
    waynegg said:
    But Game of Thrones is off limits because boobs.
    Love this quote.  And for the record, nobody is drinking wine - it's all grape juice.

And one could argue the comic-book type of violence in Batman and Marvel movies is a bit different than the rampant blood-letting of GoT.  (Although, I would be hard pressed to distinguish the more barbaric violence between LotR and GoT.)

I think Lego is deliberately inconsistent with the weapons/war/violence stuff because it is primarily viewed as a child's toy and despite them making parts (guns, etc) for older audiences, they can issue a press release citing a long-standing policy not to make 'those' types of toys.  Thus, the family safety crowd can feel better about the toys they buy.

Like half of the Indiana Jones sets don't include actual military vehicles and actual troops with actual guns?
    catwranglerwaynegggmonkey76MattDawsonAmanda1983kiki180703
  • magrimagri UKMember Posts: 157
    @LuLego
    Disneyland Anaheim and Disneyland Paris are both versions of Sleeping Beauty castle.
    Disney World's Magic Kingdom is Cinderella castle.

I'm surprised they've gone with the Disney World castle. I would have thought they'd have gone with the original Sleeping Beauty castle from Anaheim, though I guess Cinderella castle is more recognisable to most people now.

MooreFX
    Thanks for clearing that up!

We've just come back from Euro Disney - I know a six year old girl who will want this castle, regardless of who it belongs to.

we were already budgeting on buying the full cmf collection... This one is going to take some saving up!
    Do you take credit cards?!

magri said:
    @LuLego
    Disneyland Anaheim and Disneyland Paris are both versions of Sleeping Beauty castle.
    Disney World's Magic Kingdom is Cinderella castle.

I'm surprised they've gone with the Disney World castle. I would have thought they'd have gone with the original Sleeping Beauty castle from Anaheim, though I guess Cinderella castle is more recognisable to most people now.

The Disney World castle is far bigger than the Disneyland castle. I would be more surprised if they went with the DisneyLand castle.
  • dragon114dragon114 United StatesMember Posts: 636
    People on facebook complaining they stole some one else idea from years ago.
  • dragon114dragon114 United StatesMember Posts: 636
    ^ apprenty they had the idea 20 years ago
  • sklambsklamb speaker of American EnglishMember Posts: 497
    Probably submitted the idea to Cuusoo/Lego Ideas, too!
    I just came up with the idea that Ferrari should make black cars in 2018.

They better not steal it!
    andhekiki180703
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    Sounds like they've got a case of the Taylorswifts, I understand she owns the copyright on any two words she strings together in a sentence. ;oP
    SumoLegomr.pigglespharmjodkiki180703
  • wayneggwaynegg Texas,USAMember Posts: 394
    SumoLego said:
    And for the record, nobody is drinking wine - it's all grape juice.
    In that vein, and in respect to Moe's Tavern, couldn't they serve cream soda and rootbeer? There's a way around everything, even violence. The Joker did blow up a couple of police cruisers with an RPG, not to mention a warehouse with a lady chained to the explosives and LEGO worked around that. And that bank robbery scene was every bit as graphic as the pool of blood around Jon Snow.

It just raises my cockles every time I hear 'a set based on "X" can't be done because alcohol/violence, yet when it serves their purpose LEGO flies in the face of their own policy. I'm looking forward to Cinderella's Castle; it just disappoints that some of the coolest possibilities for sets will never see the light of day as a result of a stance which is all too often sidestepped. 
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,562
    Will be interesting to see if it is a facade like arkham breakout or opens up like haunted house.
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,854
    edited April 2016
    waynegg said:
    SumoLego said:
    And for the record, nobody is drinking wine - it's all grape juice.
    In that vein, and in respect to Moe's Tavern, couldn't they serve cream soda and rootbeer? There's a way around everything, even violence. The Joker did blow up a couple of police cruisers with an RPG, not to mention a warehouse with a lady chained to the explosives and LEGO worked around that. And that bank robbery scene was every bit as graphic as the pool of blood around Jon Snow.

It just raises my cockles every time I hear 'a set based on "X" can't be done because alcohol/violence, yet when it serves their purpose LEGO flies in the face of their own policy. I'm looking forward to Cinderella's Castle; it just disappoints that some of the coolest possibilities for sets will never see the light of day as a result of a stance which is all too often sidestepped. 
    I think a more honest explanation of TLG's policy as it's actually enacted would be, "We don't make themes based on stuff that isn't already marketed to children." Sure, you could argue that GoT has toys, badges, etc., but it says a lot that you find those in Forbidden Planet and other places selling merch from geek-friendly shows to adult collectors, rather than in TRU etc. I'd guess that GoT doesn't slot its trailers into kids' TV shows or its print ads into comics aimed specifically at kids, though obviously older kids will also be watching/reading media where GoT advertising is present.

Marvel and DC, on the other hand, have always produced a lot of media, toys, stickers, fast food kids' meal tie-ins and whathaveyou aimed either at a family audience or at children specifically. So there's some cognitive dissonance in playing with Lego Joker and Batgirl minifigs with scenes from The Killing Joke running through your head, yeah, but in a world where half the kids I see going to school are running around with mini superhero backpacks, there's some deniability on the "Who? Us? Making adult stuff into kids' stuff?" front. 

Is it hypocritical how TLG walks the line of "we don't do sex/violence/alcohol/religion/[whatever else]"? Probably. Surprising, though? Not a bit...
    RogerKirk
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,122
    ^ Which is kind of what happened with LOTR and The Hobbit. It was never really marketed towards 8 year olds and lego sets didn't sell so well to that demographic either.
    It is Disney Cinderella one. So I was right on that!
    @CM4S - Any more information on piece count, minifigs or price? I'm hoping this set is going to be huge!
    catwrangler said: 
    I think a more honest explanation of TLG's policy as it's actually enacted would be, "We don't make themes based on stuff that isn't already marketed to children."

Is it hypocritical how TLG walks the line of "we don't do sex/violence/alcohol/religion/[whatever else]"? Probably.
    The more accurate statement would be something along the line of:  

"We arbitrarily pick and choose certain themes based on marketability and projected sales.  As TLG has built up an excellent brand reputation with a wide variety of parents, certain themes are not worth sacrificing our wholesome image without short-term and long-term gains.  Thus we do not make 'adult' themes unless the marketing and licensing fees justify it, and patronize the most conservative consumer so they feel better about their toy selection.  And hope they don't notice that we made Nazi minifigures in our Indiana Jones theme, provide a wide variety of toy small firearms, promote costumed vigilantes, and that the Lego Movie was really a non-stop film of wanton violence and chaos."

But that's a bit wordy.

A good example is the severing of the relationship with Shell.  Am I the only one that finds it stupid that Lego decided to disassociate with a petroleum company due to 'public' pressure?  Lego is friggin' made from petroleum!  
    catwranglerJern92
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    Jørgen gotta eat.
    SumoLegobobabrickspharmjodMynattkiki180703
    Back on topic - this set can't be released soon enough.

I would presume we'll get a Cinderella minifigure.  I think the mice would be weird.  

Probably a Fairy Godmother, Stepmother and Prince Charming as well?