Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Any Tips/Advice?

terfstenterfsten West VirginiaMember Posts: 296
Well my dark ages didn't last long! Not even a full two years and I'm back at it! Just couldn't stay away! Mind you college life limits me quite a bit on what I do/spend with Lego lol. This is partly why i'm wondering. How do you all regulate your hobby? What do you do with your Lego once you've bought it? Is there any criteria you go by to decide if a set is worth buying or not? Do you buy pieces in bulk? Do you look to buy retired sets? How? What is your advice for a first time MOC builder who doesnt know much but has a desire to build their own creations? Do you buy sets to keep together? Do you tear them all apart for pieces after youve built them once? Both?Just looking for general advice on whatever topics you all can come up with for controlling my lego collecting smartly!

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,003
    Budget and play with and enjoy what you've got. Maybe sell off minifigs from sets if you prefer building.
    bricks_on_brickskiki180703
  • terfstenterfsten West VirginiaMember Posts: 296
    Actually minifigs are one of my favorite parts! To me they add life to a model! thanks for commenting @CCC definitely keep your advice in mind! :)
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,574
    Welcome back terfsten. I see you sold off and gave away all your LEGO. I started back up in 2014, and have accumulated quite a pile mainly via local thrift shops.

My advice would be do not go into debt to buy LEGO. Sure, use Target Red Card to save 5%, use Toy r Us Credit to save there, etc. - but pay it off immediately. Don't even wait for the billing statement, pay it NOW!! All those discounts get wiped out if you carry a balance on the cards, and interest accumulates fast. And don't spend that money that your buddy is going to pay you back until you have it in your hand.

SumoLegosnowhitiekiki180703
  • xwingpilotxwingpilot UKMember Posts: 797
    I think we all have our own priorities when it comes to collecting.

For inspiration take a look at this thread: http://bricksetforum.com/discussion/21738/what-type-of-collector-are-you/

Some (like me) regulate their collecting by sticking to a particular sub-theme and only buy specific current sets. Others, err, don't ;)
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,743

For inspiration take a look at this thread: http://bricksetforum.com/discussion/21738/what-type-of-collector-are-you/

Some (like me) regulate their collecting by sticking to a particular sub-theme and only buy specific current sets. Others, err, don't ;)
    What is "regulate"... ? ;)
    xwingpilotkiki180703
    Definitely have to budget and be careful about my spending! Like I said being a college student limits me a bit! But thanks for the advice! @datsunrobbie and that thread did help some! Thanks! :) @xwingpilot
  • DedgeckoDedgecko Seattle, WAMember Posts: 800

What is "regulate"... ? ;)
    18 in the clip and one in the hole...
    SumoLegodavetheoxygenmaneggshenAllBrickBrickDancerrichlricecakekiki180703
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,148
    ...the rhythm is the bass and the bass is the treble...

(And I think it's 16 in the clip, and one in the hole.)
    AllBrickDedgeckoricecakekiki180703
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,424
    It sure is 16 @SumoLego.

Nice reference there @Dedgecko.

Definitely search your local second hand and charity shops @terfsten , a whole lot of bargains to be had.

DedgeckoSumoLegokiki180703
  • brumeybrumey AustriaMember Posts: 1,002
    CMF-wise i like to collect sorcerers, mages, knights, ninjas and gangster
    dont care bout official sets. more like a minifig accessoire collector.

also i wanna do a temple moc and aquiring parts via bricklink to do this .

also have a some misb sets sitting around. not quite can push myself to open them. maybe i resell them ...  time will tell!
    "the bass is the brain and the snares are the heart"  lee scratch perry
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,101
    edited April 2016
    Welcome back after a short hiatus! It's a little hard to answer your very broad question but I'll offer my 2 cents. 

1. Get very familiar with Bricklink. It's one of the best resources parts, sets, minifigs, etc.
    2. Become a good LDD or L-Draw builder. You can scratch your building itch without spending any money or taking up space. Also, when you have a model you like, you will save money (in theory) when buying parts.
    3. Join a Lego Users Group (LUG). They have many resources to help you out.
    4. Instead of wasting Saturday morning recovering from that Friday night bender, hit the local garage sales and thrift shops. If a garage sale has kids toys, don't be afraid to politely ask if the homeowner has any Lego they would like to part with. You will be amazed at the success of this method. 
    5. Scan Craigslist. It's not as good as it used to be but I've found many good lots locally.
    6. Be an active participant in this Forum! Keep us updated on your projects.
    bandit778kiki180703
    Thanks all! Some helpful tips for sure! :) and @ecmo47 thanks! It is a little broad but I'm not really asking one specific question. Just wanting to know basically how you all buy your lego and why and what you actually do with it once you have it lol. I know it's a broad topic. My mind just goes so many directions and im just asking for tips to help direct my ideas. The comments have already helped quite a bit!
    And i admittedly need to get more familiar with bricklink. I know almost nothing! Lol
    bricklink takes some getting used to!

i use it for 9 months now, but i know nothing!
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,424
    edited April 2016
    @terfsten - Perfect example of charity shop good fortune here.

About 3 hrs ago I visited one of my regulars and the helpful chap there had been saving some bits for me.

Walked out with 3 mystery sealed bags of bits, a  BNIP #44001 and a BNIB #9461

£5