Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Predictions on Discontinuing Sets and their Secondary Market Value

Comments

• TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    Pitfall69 said:
    As silly as this sounds;  I actually have an "on topic" question ;)

Has anyone bought and opened a "new" Pet Shop recently? I know it was pointed out that there was a new gate/rail piece with 4 studs now instead of 2. Are there any other parts that are different? Do the minifigures have the new head molds?

Also, what are everyone's thoughts about #31039 Creator Blue Power Jet? I feel it is a bit overpriced, but at 30% I feel it is a pretty good investment. 
    I recently did my research on the Power Jet... And the results stank. No similar creator sets have reached their RRP yet, even after several years.
    I agree with your sentiment, and don't think this will do well either, but your research seems to have missed the most similar model to this set there is, #5892 which did...ok.  It certainly got past RRP within a year of being gone (thought that's still nothing to crow about).

Btw, both of these models are pretty cool, if you like relatively realistic jets for display.  For resale, waste of time.
    Amanda1983
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,871
    As always, purchase price dictates return. If you can get it for 50% or more off, I think it will do ok. 30% is great if you want one to build. It is a fantastic model to build and look at / play with.
    Amanda1983
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,732
    edited March 2016
    Rails said:
    SumoLego said:
    @Pitfall69 - your effort to re-rail has been de-railed...

I made up a new word - please discuss.
    If you mean rerail that is already a real word.
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rerail
    Indeed!  I stand corrected.

I'm normally not the one making stale sausage jokes.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,356
    edited March 2016
    Well, the Blue Power Jet is a head scratcher then. I guess if it was branded as a "limited" Ultimate Collectors Set, people would have hoards of them ;)
    Amanda1983
    I do not know why I did not check before, but Bricklink has all the different (alternate) parts listed for Pet Shop. There are a ton of them. 
    Amanda1983
  • monstblitzmonstblitz Alexandria, VAMember Posts: 591
    The rail on PS not matching instructions was making me mental.  I figured that was the explanation but not being sure was sending my OCD into overdrive. 
    Amanda1983
    Apparently, LEGO had just done inventory in Connecticut and a case of these arrived at my friends store. They were marked Clearance and he grabbed one for $0.98. I wonder how often this happens? If anything, it gives hope to people who have missed out on certain sets :)
    pharmjodSumoLegoWerewolf_pooBricklover18YodaliciousJackad7JessyDooDahAmanda1983LEGOFan2
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,731
    Pitfall69 said:

Has anyone bought and opened a "new" Pet Shop recently? I know it was pointed out that there was a new gate/rail piece with 4 studs now instead of 2. Are there any other parts that are different? Do the minifigures have the new head molds?

Also, what are everyone's thoughts about #31039 Creator Blue Power Jet? I feel it is a bit overpriced, but at 30% I feel it is a pretty good investment. 
    I recently did my research on the Power Jet... And the results stank. No similar creator sets have reached their RRP yet, even after several years.
    I agree with your sentiment, and don't think this will do well either, but your research seems to have missed the most similar model to this set there is, #5892 which did...ok.  It certainly got past RRP within a year of being gone (thought that's still nothing to crow about).

Btw, both of these models are pretty cool, if you like relatively realistic jets for display.  For resale, waste of time.
    I didn't bother going back to 2010- six or so years is too long for me to be interested for it to reach RRP.
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,437
    Pitfall69 said:
    Apparently, LEGO had just done inventory in Connecticut and a case of these arrived at my friends store. They were marked Clearance and he grabbed one for $0.98. I wonder how often this happens? If anything, it gives hope to people who have missed out on certain sets :)
    Where is "at work"? I'm in Connecticut, always looking for a deal :)
    Amanda1983LEGOFan2
    Toys R Us in Upstate NY...Sorry
    LEGOFan2
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,695
    And I'm sure he got enough to share around?
    LEGOFan2
  • Werewolf_pooWerewolf_poo Bonnie ScotlandMember Posts: 71
    I recently picked up a Big Bang theory and a Doctor Who set from Amazon as they were reduced by about 20% at the time. I somehow feel that ideas sets will do well after retirement. I think this is mainly due to the performance of the delorean.

i have no interest in keeping them so interested to know what people think of these sets as far as Selling them after retirement goes? 
    Amanda1983LEGOFan2
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited March 2016
    Pitfall69 said:

I didn't bother going back to 2010- six or so years is too long for me to be interested for it to reach RRP.
    Ok.  Where are you getting six years from?  It retired in late 2011, and it was 25% above RRP by same time 2012.
    LEGOFan2
  • Bricklover18Bricklover18 PA, USAMember Posts: 720
    @Pitfall69 I'll take 20. 
    LEGOFan2
    @Pitfall69 I'll take 20. 
    Hey, I didn't get any. I don't live in Upstate NY :(
    Bricklover18Amanda1983
    Pitfall69 said:
    @Pitfall69 I'll take 20. 
    Wait, they are really in Upstate NY?
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,401
    Sound like an urban legend...
  • Bricklover18Bricklover18 PA, USAMember Posts: 720
    Isn't @SumoLego upstate NY? (Sorry if you aren't) 
    Pitfall69 said:
    @Pitfall69 I'll take 20. 
    Wait, they are really in Upstate NY?
    Isn't @SumoLego upstate NY? (Sorry if you aren't) 
    Here we go again ;)
    FollowsClosely

Hahaha. No, this teally happened. 
    Farmer_John
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,263
    edited March 2016
    Pitfall69 said:

Hahaha. No, this teally happened. 
    No offense, but says who? If I have this right, somehow someone knows LEGO did an inventory (presumably just decided to send out a box of these to a random store) and then a box of these turned up at a TRU (and not a LEGO store)? 

Again no offense, but I could take out a NISB Research institute right now, snap a pic of it and say I got it today (and on a clearance price).  Or are there multiple reports of this from people that are not likely pulling someone's chain?

Now maybe someone at a TRU hide a box of these and someone finally did an inventory at TRU and found these, but not really in the system so they then maybe put them up at .98 cents each? That sounds l bit more more credible than someone at LEGO sending out a box of these to a random store. (unless I really misread what you originally posted about this)
    edited March 2016
    No offense taken. My friend has been a Toys r Us store manager for many years. The person who does his stores credit card machines used to work for LEGO in Connecticut and still has friends there that she is in contact with. She said they just did inventory there. He put 2 and 2 togther as to why he received a case of sets that have been gone for quite some time. They just don't send out inventory. Since Toys r Us Headquarters are close by, he presumes the buyer for his store and others in the area was able to purchase the case (among other things) and then ship them to the stores.

Dubious indeed ;) 
    Amanda1983
    edited March 2016
    Take what you want from it. I thought it was interesting and thought I would share. He's been my friend for 36 years :)

Although, we can go with your story and I can tell you that for fun; we pull out old retired sets and snap pictures of them and text each other with: "Look what I got" because...well...that's what people do all of the time ;)

Of course, I am not a store manager, so therefore I might not be allowed to speak of such things in the forum ;)
    pharmjodsnowhitiemonstblitzcatwranglerdougtsYodaliciousJackad7Amanda1983
  • mrbigz8657mrbigz8657 Member Posts: 21
    Wasn't there a toysrus in the news that found a Harry Potter castle during inventory. They decided on auctioning it off for charity but I have a feeling it happens. Most of the time these sets are already written off so it's easy to do whatever you want with them. 
    catwranglerAmanda1983
    @ Pitfall
    Where is the store located?
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,871
    Years ago when I worked at tru we found a 2 year old Harley Davidson Barbie that someone had stashed under the bottom shelf in the baby department. Strange stuff happens at stores fairly commonly I think.
    catwranglerAmanda1983
    My guess is not that Lego did inventory, but probably TRU's distribution hub did inventory.

The massive discount is probably not the method that TLG would surplus out these sets.

Also, the discount would probably reflect the clearance price after an item has been discontinued in TRU's system.

(The same system that creates the $0.03 items at TRU.)

And I'm in Western NY, Upstate NY (by @Pitfall69's definition) is the north country...
    madforLEGOAmanda1983
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,515
    Has pitfall received a batch of chinese fake ponies with extra chemicals in?
  • brumeybrumey AustriaMember Posts: 994
    edited March 2016
    millenium falcon without minifigs for 40€  ???   steal or deal ?

looks like there is missing more than minifigs?!? right?
    LEGOFan2
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,085
    Pitfall69 said:
    Weird stuff like this does happen. I recently found a #5770 Lighthouse in perfect shape at my local Walmart and my buddy Zon found a #9474 Helms Deep at TRU. 
    Amanda1983
    ^I think the controversy is more about how it got there in the first place :) The case arrived on his truck. I guess my original point was that there may be sets lingering in warehouses still. I didn't mean to cause a minor stir :)
    SumoLegoAmanda1983
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,437
    ^^Looks like a good deal to me. I found one last weekend locally for $30 in a thrift store, got it for $20 thanks to a 30% discount card. 
    ^ I want to like this comment 100x.
    VorpalRyuPitfall69chuckpAmanda1983
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    ^^ Exactly. The TRU I frequent is a disorganized mess. But it's also the oldest one in the area and there's never anyone there, so when I do saunter in, the staff is beyond helpful. I've seen the random set pop up from time to time that they found hidden behind something and I'm never surprised if I find a set far from the LEGO aisle. 
    Amanda1983
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,263
    Pitfall69 said:
    ^I think the controversy is more about how it got there in the first place :) The case arrived on his truck. I guess my original point was that there may be sets lingering in warehouses still. I didn't mean to cause a minor stir :)
    Sorry about creating the minor stir.
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    ^ I thought you were told to NEVER mention X-rays again. NEVER.
    CircleKRsa33Pitfall69BumblepantsSumoLegoBeavJackad7Amanda1983
  • CupIsHalfEmptyCupIsHalfEmpty CanadaMember Posts: 547
    ^ As long as the X-ray isn't portable, he's fine. 
    Rsa33Pitfall69BumblepantsSumoLegoAmanda1983
  • Rsa33Rsa33 USAMember Posts: 156
    Dont make me come back into this thread ;)
    Farmer_JohnPitfall69RailsBumblepantseggshenSumoLegoricecakeJackad7Amanda1983
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,401
    One of my favorite pastimes is sitting around feeling unopened CMFs and reading this thread. Ahhh...life is good!
    Pitfall69SumoLegomldj77Amanda1983
    edited March 2016
    One of my favorite pastimes is sitting around feeling unopened CMFs and reading this thread. Ahhh...life is good!
    Feeling CMF packets is cathartic. My wife tries to talk to me while I am feeling them and I do not hear a thing :)
    Dtrimpi87pharmjodflordFarmer_JohnSumoLegodavetheoxygenmanGothamConstructionCoJackad7
    They ought to use unopened CMFs to train mechanics. Half the time when I'm working on my old truck I have to do it by feel because of all the emissions stuff.
    Pitfall69SumoLegoJackad7Amanda1983
    edited April 2016
    I feel very dirty after like-whoring just about everything on this page...

And we all know that @Pitfall69 has a portable gamma ray machine to inspect CMF packets.

Pitfall Smash!
    davetheoxygenmanVorpalRyuJackad7Amanda1983
    SumoLego said:
    I feel very dirty after like-whoring just about everything on this page...

And we all know that @Pitfall69 has a portable gamma ray machine to inspect CMF packets.

Pitfall Smash!
    Well, gamma rays and X-rays are pretty much the same right?
    Rsa33VorpalRyuSumoLegoJackad7Amanda1983
    Stop baiting me!!!
    VorpalRyuRonyarJackad7Amanda1983
    Gamma rays (hulk smash) and xrays are both forms of electromagnetic radiation, differing mainly in the amounts of energy they possess...but yall already knew that :)
    VorpalRyuPitfall69LegoboyAmanda1983
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,515
    edited April 2016
    And also how you generate them, which is important for devices.

Pitfall69Amanda1983
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    they're not the same size either.  And I think they are different colours too.
    Pitfall69Amanda1983