Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Help!My 4 year old is a future master builder!

MBTaysMomMBTaysMom louisiana Member Posts: 4
My 4 year old has been building since he was 12 months old. He started off with mega blocks and quickly moved to Duplo. I've always noticed his building skills were well above his age group. For Christmas we built  him a huge lego table and got him the starter set of standard bricks and a few basic specialty sets. Well he sits in his room for hours building and taking apart and rebuilding all types of figures (aircraft, animals, submarines, spaceships...ect.) I'm not a Lego expert but it's amazing the things he creates considering his age. My main question is are there any programs or conventions/contest I can put him in at his age where he can develop his skills more and have access to more variety of legos?
catwranglerkiki180703

Comments

• Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,374
    edited March 2016
    First off; it is amazing that he built anything with MegaBloks. Just kidding ;)

Do you have a Lego Discovery Center near you? For some reason I thought that they have seminars there. I may be thinking of someplace else. There are many schools that offer programs in Lego Mindstorms/Robitics, but I do not think there is a class that specializes in teaching people how to develop their building skills.
    MBTaysMomhmnicollSprinkleOtterkiki180703
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,950
    I thought the Lego master builder academy kits were truly perfect for this. They no longer make them, though. :-(  The kits had detailed books that  really focused on things like color, style, details, moving parts, and various other themes and had builds that emphasized those themes.  It really was a wonderful program.  

MBTaysMomkiki180703
  • MBTaysMomMBTaysMom louisiana Member Posts: 4
    Thank you! We are actually traveling to Fortworth this weekend and have a surprising trip to Lego Land planned for him! Hopefully they will have some suggestions there. You will never see my son without a Lego in his hand. He takes his creations everywhere. Today he made his first movable figure, a dinosaurs that bends at the hips so it could sit or stand. Each leg moved individually. I know it doesn't sound like much but considering most 4 year old can barely color inside the lines I think it's awsome! I'm new to the "Lego world" but I'm trying to feel my way around. I see my son is very passionate about Legos and it's more than just a phase. Thanks for your responses!
    catwranglerkiki180703
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,028
    Besides the suggestions above, I would also recommend the LEGO Ideas book series by DK Publishing (there are three books out to date). Lots of ideas to build your own models. Not many words, the pictures are big and beautiful, many of the models come with step-by-step instructions, and they are great as seed ideas. Most of the models are not very complex and can be just build from the pictures. In my experience kids love to flip through these books and start building.
    MBTaysMomcatwranglerkiki180703
  • eggsheneggshen Middleton, WIMember Posts: 532
    I took my 6 year old to one of those classes at the Chicago Discovery Center and he was very bored. Essentially, we got walked step by step through a monthly mini build. My son could have done it in a few minutes but the instructor took about 20-30 minutes, mostly because he was helping people, making jokes, etc. He was very nice and entertaining, but we didn't learn anything from him that we didn't already know.

They advertise it seem like it was Master Builder Academy level but all we talked about VERY briefly was side building (which we actually refer to as SNOT, but he called it side building). And when I say very briefly it was something like "this is a technique called side building." We built a small bunny ("that can be purchased at the gift shop" he reminded us numerous times) that had a couple of SNOT parts. I felt he missed a big opportunity with a group of younger kids by not calling it SNOT. I felt that would have gotten a pretty big laugh and the kids would have remembered it better.
    MBTaysMomcatwranglerkiki180703tallblocktoo
    Legopassion8bendybadgersklambcatwranglerkiki180703PippaDaraghDanGPtallblocktoo
    Thank you everyone! I'm going to purchase him the books suggested. Are there any recommended sets I can add to his collection that will give his models more mobility? He like to create from his own imagination so I'd like to have pieces available for him to create whatever is on his mind. 
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,461
    #31037 is nice for moving parts, and has been on sale 40% off at Walgreen's recently. #10696 is another I'd be looking at. 
  • MrShinyAndNewMrShinyAndNew Member Posts: 244
    The Mixels sets are great for small joints. Look for ones that have ball-and-socket joints, but really they're all great. Also, any of the Creator line of animals and robots. There's usually some good joint pieces in there, not to mention that those models are usually 2 or 3-in-1, that is, you get instructions to make three different models from the same set of pieces. There are often some good techniques to be learned from those instructions and your son should have no difficulty with them, even if the recommended ages are sometimes as high as 7 years old (The recommended ages are pretty conservative).
    Legopassion8catwranglerkiki180703
  • PippaPippa DC, USAMember Posts: 20

The dinosaur he built is great!  Looks like the Conductor on Dinosaur Train to me.