Plastic Bin Storage

tam27tam27 Member Posts: 1
edited January 2012 in Collecting
Hi folks, first time poster.....love the site by the way, makes it so easy to keep track of my 2 wee boys sets of lego ! Just wondering, could anyone tell me ways in which to store their sets ? I'm currently using Stanley Junior Sortmaster stackable boxes and labelling the compartments with a little picture and the set code....
Cheers,
Tam

Comments

• prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,876
    Sterilite 3 and 5-mini drawers for small parts; larger drawers for bigger parts. Better than bins. But not cheap either, $5-$8 each.
  • tdhbrtdhbr Member Posts: 188
    Yep, I like those Sterilite drawers, too. Just keep your eyes open, I see them on sale fairly frequently at Target (usually just a couple of sizes are on sale at a time
  • littletokilittletoki Member Posts: 517
    I keep all my sets that aren't parted out in their own Sterilite bins (they're less than a dollar each at Walmart) and label the front with a photo, name and model number. The photo helps a lot because I forget what all the ships in the Star Wars theme look like!

LEGO Room - Sets

Loose LEGO is stored in compartmentalized bins by part and color - also labeled.

LEGO Sorting

Just in the process of building some wall-mounted shelving to handle the influx of sets over the holidays. Errr. Just a little obssessed. :D
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    I love these pics! Keep it up! I think there have been a number of storage topics posted before but it helps to actually SEE it.
  • CoolsplashCoolsplash Member Posts: 935
    @liittletoki, where and how did you manage to get the compartmentalized bins?? I have been looking and looking for something like this as the number of bricks I have is less, so I need a storage solution like this as getting drawers for each kind of brick won't help much. Suggestions?
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    ^ ebay has tons of them in the DIY section.
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,821
    or in the UK, hobbycraft if you want to phsyically view & handle before you buy.

ruch
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    Tesco has them 1/2 price in the UK ATM. I'm using them for my BL store.
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    ^ ebay has tons of them in the DIY section.
    What's the best search term to use, don't seem to be having much luck finding anything decent on ebay?

• intromissionintromission Member Posts: 197
    Ikea Trofast system for the win.
  • moietymoiety Member Posts: 3
    What's the best search term to use, don't seem to be having much luck finding anything decent on ebay?
    Try "compartment storage". There's a pretty good variety too. Might have to pick some up myself!
    Umm. Lots of pics in this post! Sorry - I tried to make them small.

@Coolsplash. I bought most of my bins from home improvement stores. I'm in the US so either Lowes or Home Depot - in their tool section or in their container section. I checked on eBay and Amazon as the other posters mentioned but the prices were either comparable (and more with shipping) or higher. But that might be different depending on which country you're in.

If you're in the UK, you can try Homebase - here's a link to some of their "tool storage" options: http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=061288

Also, hobby stores are a good source - jewelry/bead containers are a good fit for smaller quantities.

The reason I prefer these containers over the shelving systems with drawers, is that I tend to move around in my house and build in different rooms. So they're easy to grab and go.

I put together a review of all the different containers I use here:

http://nubcakes.blogspot.com/2012/01/yes-im-reviewing-bins.html

and here's some photos of what I'm talking about.

Bead/jewelry containers:

Joann's Bead Container - Small

Containers found in the tool section of home improvement stores:

Rimax Clear - Small

How I store actual sets:

Sterilite 6 Quart Container

And lastly, how I store minifigures:

LEGO Minifigure display
  • omgitsrenzoomgitsrenzo Member Posts: 46
    @littletoki woah .. I'm in love with your minifig storage .. Can you explain that one a bit more?
  • Pacific493Pacific493 Member Posts: 379
    For smaller boxes with multiple compartments, search for Flambeau or Plano fishing tackle boxes. In the U.S., you can reliably find them at Dick's Sporting Goods or online from a variety of outlets.

For drawer cabinets, search for Akro-Mils or Stack-On. You used to be able to find Akro-Mils drawer cabinets at Target, but I haven't checked there in a while.
    edited January 2012
    @omgitsrenzo. I wrote a how to post but here it is in a nutshell:

I bought some shadow boxes from Michael's (another hobby/craft store in the US) which were originally $64 but I ended up getting them for $30 each with coupons.

Shadow Box Case

Then I went to Home Depot and bought some trim and had them cut it down to size. I then sanded, primed and spray them painted black.

Shelves

And built side supports with black 2x3 bricks.

Shadow Box

This was an incredibly easy and fast project - no nailing or cutting. The longest part was waiting for the trim to dry in between spray painting. I have 2 cases currently and will be making another 2 in the next few weeks.

LEGO Minifigure Display

Hope this helped!
  • intromissionintromission Member Posts: 197
    Really nice job on those man. (Thumbs up.) Very clean.
  • BeardedCastleGuyBeardedCastleGuy Member Posts: 127
    @tam27 I would also point you over to Eurobricks thread regards sorting and storage even tho it's a big long. http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=26213 Quite a big of discussion there.

@littleloki nice job on the frames.
  • QueenBQueenB Member Posts: 20
    I use shallow A4 filing drawers about 2.5 inches deep. That way they never have to be tipped out on the floor, you can pull the drawers out and have them on the floor all around you and easily rummage in each drawer.
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 766
    Perfect Toki! Love these shelves and might have to buy them for my own minifigs.
  • PaulTRPaulTR Member Posts: 115
    Thanks for the pics, everyone! Really gave me the incentive to get my lazy body out of the house and buy some Sterilite drawers. I found an excellent deal at my local Walmart for two 3-drawer set-ups. The drawers aren't clear (they're black) but considering they were on sale, I can live with it. Now, off to FINALLY sort my collection! Only 20,000 pieces to go...sigh..
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    Wow, that's a pretty sweet storage room @littletoki. I want a cabinet unit like you have in the first pic so I can store and display my legos to the top of my ceiling.
  • derAugederAuge Member Posts: 4
    I looked for those shadow boxes, but couldn't find anything similar in Germany. Anybody know of anything like them available in Europe?

btw I also have 2 Expedit to store my bins in :-)
  • LegogeekLegogeek Orange County, CaliforniaMember Posts: 711
    @littletoki - love your LEGO room. Can you come over to my house and make one for me? LOL

I've been trying to find something here on Brickset... I swear there was an old discussion and someone provided a link for a neat storage unit from the Container Store, but now I can't find it.... and when I visit the Container Store website I can't seem to find the drawer unit. Either it's no longer available, or it was a different store(?). The storage unit had drawers, and if I remember correctly each drawer had stackable trays; plus the front of the drawers had studs to which you could actually attach a LEGO piece. I dunno, maybe I dreamed the whole thing! ;oP
    @Legogeek. Sure thing! Just make sure you have room on your credit card! LOL. The only complaint I had when I was putting the room together was all the money I could have been spending on LEGO.

@derAuge. Have you tried local hobby stores or craft stores? And yup, loving that large Expedit shelf! :D Which is what that large cabinet unit is, @Dougout. It's from Ikea.