Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

AFOL Survey! What's the average AFOL like? I'll turn the results into a fancy infographic.

azntaijiazntaiji Seattle, WAMember Posts: 5

As a fellow AFOL, I've always been curious about other AFOLs: their collections, what they like, where they're from. Want to know what the average AFOL is like? Help me take this survey, and I'll turn it into an infographic after I collect 500 responses!

https://azntaiji.typeform.com/to/h70X6R

I make infographics as part of my living, but will be doing this independently on my own free time. If you have suggestions on where else to share this, please let me know.

NOTE: I'm in no way affiliated with The Lego Group (Lego A/S), nor is this study.

catwranglerMynattpharmjodGothamConstructionCoJackad7kezSumoLegokiki180703DeMontessnowhitieAdzbadboySlapNuts

Comments

• bricktuarybricktuary EuropeMember Posts: 470
    Done! 
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,085
    Can you give me an idea of how many questions and how long it might take?
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,687
    ecmo47 said:
    Can you give me an idea of how many questions and how long it might take?
    12 Questions. About 2 minutes.
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,732
    Done! It'll be fun to see the results.
  • TechnicNickTechnicNick Berkshire, UKMember Posts: 277
    Done. Very quick and easy, good luck with it.
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,089
    Done.
  • gifinimgifinim UKMember Posts: 174
    Done!
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,788
    I was in the middle of doing this survey but then I got to the question of how many sets I own and... yeah... I can't even guess. Figuring that out on Brickset could take me days, and it's complicated by the fact that a lot of my collection is shared with my twin brother.

I did manage to tally up last year's sets and my brother and I have about 80 of those (not counting LEGO Dimensions sets, which for now are strictly his), but just multiplying that by the number of years I've been collecting would probably give me an estimate that's way off.

I'm sure the results will be fascinating and informative even without my input, though. :)
  • ricecakericecake Maryland, USAMember Posts: 879
    Done!
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,436
    done :)
  • LegopantsLegopants GermanyMember Posts: 1,968
    Done!
    I'm afraid I was unable to give a favourite set though :-S
  • GothamConstructionCoGothamConstructionCo Colchester UKMember Posts: 725
    All done. Look forward to reading the results.
  • wrangler6915wrangler6915 USA - Lincoln NEMember Posts: 500
    Done
  • xwingpilotxwingpilot UKMember Posts: 797
    Done.
  • tallblocktootallblocktoo CanadaMember Posts: 494
    Done.

• azntaijiazntaiji Seattle, WAMember Posts: 5
    Thanks, everyone! Currently in the process of cleaning up data from over almost 700 responses! Doing things like consolidating text-based answers and converting local currencies to USD. 

Will probably work on data viz and the infographic next week, work has been pretty busy this week. I'll keep you all posted - although I'm more likely to post updates to r/lego first. Thanks again.
    catwrangler
    Done, but I'm pretty sure I'm not "average"......but I'm sure many on this website are not either. How many could answer the "how many pieces" question? Not me.  
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,732
    I just went with the number of pieces in the sets I have logged on Brickset; there's also another crate's worth of charity shop finds from over the years, but I wouldn't know where to begin estimating how many bricks there are!
    andhekiki180703
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,687
    ecmo47 said:
    Done, but I'm pretty sure I'm not "average"......but I'm sure many on this website are not either. How many could answer the "how many pieces" question? Not me.  
    I just went with the 'myBrickset' estimate. And added a few hundred.
    Bumblepantskiki180703
  • LuLegoLuLego UKMember Posts: 889
    Done. Very quick and easy.
  • bamaker1bamaker1 Member Posts: 17
    Done.  Struggled the most with question about my favorite set.  Too many to choose from
    MynattDraug
  • DraugDraug CanadaMember Posts: 34
    edited March 2016
    Done. 

Yeah, the favorite was tricky. I ended up choosing the Eiffel Tower for me, since it's the set that brought me into my AFOL era. Saw it used in the classifieds back in 2012 and bought it on a whim .... 4 years and hundreds of sets later, my house is full of Lego! 
    Bumblepantskiki180703
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,436
    I went with Brickset numbers too, which I'm sure are off since most of my LEGO is purchased second-hand and at least half of it is still unsorted.
  • WhipMedicWhipMedic United StatesMember Posts: 3
    Done.  Great idea!  Thanks!
  • SandmanSandman UKMember Posts: 26
    done, although the piece count was a guessimate as purchased lots of 2nd hand bricks for modding
  • Lego91Lego91 GermanyMember Posts: 86
    edited March 2016
    Done! Favourite set is the 2011 lighthouse from the Creator series. No idea why, but this is always the set I remember the most.
    catwranglerkiki180703
  • monstblitzmonstblitz Alexandria, VAMember Posts: 591
    The statistician in me wonders how you are going to standardize this data into a form that's usable.  Free form entry is going to make this task a nightmare for you. 
  • Werewolf_pooWerewolf_poo Bonnie ScotlandMember Posts: 71
    Done!  I used the brickset count plus added more for my minifigs which for some reason on brickset says I own zero. Be interesting to see what the percentages are for users country to country
  • bricktuarybricktuary EuropeMember Posts: 470
    The average favourite set is a classic space modular Star Wars train set. 
    Bumblepantskiki180703pharmjodOldfan
    edited March 2016
    The statistician in me wonders how you are going to standardize this data into a form that's usable.  Free form entry is going to make this task a nightmare for you. 
    Haha. It has been a lot of work so far, especially with the "Favorite set" and "Most Expensive set". I should have clarified in the question to use the set #.

Also standardizing the themes has been kind of pain, because people listed subthemes. I'm current standardizing so that only top-level themes are included, as defined officially by LEGO (both current like City, as well as retired like Space). Thankfully wiki has a nice list on this.

Luckily, Google Sheets has a plugin to convert currencies, so I was OK there.

I have my work cut out for me! I never went to school for this stuff, so I've been learning as I go. :) I've always been a designer at the core, but thought this would be a nice project to learn from. I really enjoy playing around with data - it's addicting!
    monstblitzkiki180703pharmjod
  • legomentallegomental UkMember Posts: 309
    I think you need to add our jobs into the mix too - would add an interesting slant 
    samiam391pharmjod
  • legomentallegomental UkMember Posts: 309
    P.s I am fascinated to see the results. 
  • monstblitzmonstblitz Alexandria, VAMember Posts: 591
    azntaiji said:
    Haha. It has been a lot of work so far, especially with the "Favorite set" and "Most Expensive set". I should have clarified in the question to use the set #.

Also standardizing the themes has been kind of pain, because people listed subthemes. I'm current standardizing so that only top-level themes are included, as defined officially by LEGO (both current like City, as well as retired like Space). Thankfully wiki has a nice list on this.

Luckily, Google Sheets has a plugin to convert currencies, so I was OK there.

I have my work cut out for me! I never went to school for this stuff, so I've been learning as I go. :) I've always been a designer at the core, but thought this would be a nice project to learn from. I really enjoy playing around with data - it's addicting!
    I learned a lot of this stuff the hard way too, so don't worry.  Best tip I can give you is anyplace you can make a pick list for your respondents you will save yourself a lot of time and effort.  Things that can't be neatly put into a pick list, just provide very clear guidance as to what responses you're looking for from respondents. 
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,404
    Filled. It seems I like Lego more than I thought.
  • Werewolf_pooWerewolf_poo Bonnie ScotlandMember Posts: 71
    I'm astonished that I have 23,500 bricks in my collection! I would never have looked into it if it wasn't for this 
  • rampantsullyrampantsully The Emirates Stadium Member Posts: 76
    Done,got way more unbuilt stuff than I thought
  • obi_gobi_g BlightyMember Posts: 485
    My favourite set will always be the first one I ever owned as a child :) that one was an easy question!
    catwranglerkiki180703
  • KingAlanIKingAlanI Rochester, NYMember Posts: 1,829
    Done.
    My spreadsheet helped with number of sets and pieces. My set count includes MOCs. For biggest set, I used the highest MSRP of what I have, though I have a bigger set in the mail and a MOC with higher piece value, not counting sales or aftermarket value. My spending figure is the exact total since I came out of my dark age. My favorite set is what got me started on my favorite (sub)theme. If you're only tabulating main themes, use the associated one?
    azntaijikiki180703
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,029
    When will we be able to see the results?
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 792
    just did it. Hope I can still fit in?
    When will we be able to see the results?
    I'm hoping sometime this weekend, work picked up a lot this week and last. Will let you all know
    I think you need to add our jobs into the mix too - would add an interesting slant 
    There was a thread on this very topic a few years back. Now if I can just find the darn thing...
  • KingAlanIKingAlanI Rochester, NYMember Posts: 1,829
    My spending calculation includes gifts and resale profit. My spending per unit of time has gone down a lot. I've made some more sales and I haven't bought much more since I already got most of the items I wanted.
  • LL924LL924 USAMember Posts: 7
    Is the two weeks up yet?
    dougtsNeilCrosbyricecakeDeMontessnowhitie
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,281
    Completed the survey, though methinks I may be too late...
    MattDawson
  • Luke_KLuke_K USAMember Posts: 1
    Done though I think I'm a bit late... I'm excited to see the results anyhow!
  • cozycozy Member Posts: 142
    Done