2016 Speed Champions who else is excited about these!!!!

2»

Comments

• crazycarlcrazycarl USAMember Posts: 392
    Some more mod pics for you guys.  Could not stand the big silly stickers on the front of the R8 so I "legoed" it up.  Also changed the headlight and rear wing color on the Corvette. 
    MaffyDMynatttallblocktookiki180703Pitfall69chuckp
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,533
    Some nice BMW M Power models would work well in this range too.
    crazycarlkiki180703Pitfall69
  • MynattMynatt OH/NYMember Posts: 569
    edited March 2016
    I must say that I cannot stand the sticker front for the R8. While I do understand it was probably the best that Lego could do, it is the deciding factor for me not buying it. 

However the Mustang, Corvette, and the Audi R18 look superb and cannot wait to pick them up. 

Personally I would love to see a Tesla Roadster, those seem really cool. This is a huge stretch but I would also love to see a Mini Cooper.
    catwranglerkiki180703
  • GallardoLUGallardoLU USAMember Posts: 644
    edited March 2016
    here are a couple pictures of my heavily modified 917K (stickers will be added once I am completely sure I wont change it again) it may not be obvious at first glance but the sides, and the tail are about the only parts that have not have been altered so far. The rest has been thoroughly reworked (even the chassis piece is gone) included are the mandated spare tire, and luggage (briefcase hidden inside the build) Porsche 917k modded V2 Porsche 917k modded V2
    crazycarlcatwranglertallblocktookiki180703chuckp
  • SithLord196SithLord196 Member Posts: 1,147
    crazycarl said:
    Since Honda has entered WEC this year with 3 new prototypes, and won the 24 hour at Daytona Lego should definitely pick up Honda Licensing. 
    Their engine won the 24 Hours of Daytona, but I believe it was a Ligier chassis and bodywork that ESM used, so I think that would require two separate license agreements.

I think getting the Toyota LMP1 car is much more likely, since they've now made the Audi and the Porsche.
    here are a couple pictures of my heavily modified 917K (stickers will be added once I am completely sure I wont change it again) it may not be obvious at first glance but the sides, and the tail are about the only parts that have not have been altered so far. The rest has been thoroughly reworked (even the chassis piece is gone) included are the mandated spare tire, and luggage (briefcase hidden inside the build) Porsche 917k modded V2 Porsche 917k modded V2
    Looks much better!!  I think one reason these speed champ cars dont look right is because of the new wheel well elements they are using.  Its too tall!!  All they would have to do to keep the new wheel/rims is to make lower profile tires to fit under the regular wheel wells as you have used.
  • PR0JECTNR56PR0JECTNR56 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2016
    Here is my concept for the 3rd LMP1 car, the WEC series winner in 2014: the Toyota TS040.
    It was originally planned, improved and created long before the Speed Champions line LMP1 Hybrid cars, so I used only older parts and also used my fantasy in some details which means it not an exact replica of the original car I just wanted to catch the "spirit" of the real one.
    Here is a picture about it (sorry for the quality)::

tallblocktooBumblepantskiki180703
  • SarkySarky Vancouver, CanadaMember Posts: 23
    Mynatt said:
    I must say that I cannot stand the sticker front for the R8. While I do understand it was probably the best that Lego could do, it is the deciding factor for me not buying it.
    Agreed. The front end sticker used for the Audi R8 LMS Ultra just strikes me as uncharacteristic of LEGO. The rest of the car is quite good though.

As for the Audi R18 e-tron quattro, I think that the main issue is accuracy/shaping. Compare the following images:

Main problems:
    1) The cockpit really needs a sticker on the side to make it appear narrower
    2) The front wheel hub caps stick out
    3) This front side is so long and boring
    4) There really needs to be better shaping of the back of the cockpit and how it sinks into the vehicle

Granted, as a motorsport fan, I may be too critical in my views of a LEGO toy. However, I still think that the LEGO versions of Audi cars could have been much better.
    LEGO.jpg 370.2K
    Mynattkiki180703
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,374
    I'm loving the Speed Champions!!! I hope there is at least a 3rd wave in the future :)
    tallblocktooSarkyricecakechuckpBumblepantsMaffyDkiki180703crazycarlnatro220
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,439
    @crazycarl What mods did you do on the Mustang?
    I'm sitting on one right now and am itching to build it.
    Just want to know what they are so I can tinker a bit.
    Thanks in advance.
    @crazycarl What mods did you do on the Mustang?
    I'm sitting on one right now and am itching to build it.
    Just want to know what they are so I can tinker a bit.
    Thanks in advance.
    Not to much as I like the design.  I merely squared up the rear end, and changed the headlights.  Didnt like the stickers one bit.  May change the clear headlights for clear grey wedges.
    Mynatt
    ya smoked headlights looks better.  may change the rear spoiler too in the future.
    MaffyDkiki18070377ncaachamps
  • SarkySarky Vancouver, CanadaMember Posts: 23
    There seems, at least to me, a certain aspect in Speed Champions that makes it vulnerable to the "Uncanny Valley" effect.

If LEGO designs a car that certainly looks more like a toy car and less like a real replica, we seem to pull out and adore all the replica-like qualities of it (e.g. good front shaping, excellent spoiler, etc.). However, as the design becomes more realistic (or replica-like), there is a certain point between "toy form" and "replica form" where it only looks like an imperfect replica.

Here is real example: Set #75912 Porsche 911 GT Finish Line, generally regarded as a good set, has cars that are obviously toys. Yet we are able to get a small sense of what it is supposed to mimic from the iconic Porsche headlights and shaping. On the other hand, set #75873 Audi R8 LMS Ultra is disliked by many people because of the large sticker that acts as the headlights, grill, etc. Here, the stickers cause the front part of the car to look extremely accurate. But the rest of the body is still "LEGOified" and there is a bad contrast between these parts. 
    MaffyDcatwranglerkiki180703
    Sarky said:
    ...the stickers cause the front part of the car to look extremely accurate. But the rest of the body is still "LEGOified" and there is a bad contrast between these parts. 

That's a really good point. I can cope with some proportions not being correct as minifigs are also not proportionate to RL people, but changes in levels of realism will cause some problems. Look at 75899: LaFerrari - the blockiness at the front looks somewhat at odds with the real car:

http://www.topgear.com/sites/default/files/styles/16x9_640w/public/cars-road-test/image/2015/04/Large Image_138.jpg

but it works because Lego sensibilities allow it. But a car that is too long or too narrow... that is something which can be fixed in Lego, so is not as acceptable.

PS: Where's the hyperlink button?

• catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,788
    MaffyD said:

PS: Where's the hyperlink button?

It's sixth from the right in the row above the comment box. :)
    MaffyD

On my version of IE (patched, supported - I'm not running XP), I can't see any row above the comment box. Only by hovering my mouse can I see that a link to something is there (and the blank white background changes to light grey). How very odd.

Here's an image:

This is all to prove I'm not being thick! Thanks for letting me know.

catwranglerkiki180703
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,788
    How strange! Does anything happen if you click on it? For instance, when I click on mine, I get this little pop-up...

I'd guess it's probably not working for you, but it'd be interesting to know and might help @Huw, if this is an unknown issue...

The buttons work
    For pretty much all the links

Lists make it complicated

and Format is not working.

http://brickset.com/

but Align works

• kiki180703kiki180703 Montreal, CanadaMember Posts: 1,031
    @MaffyD Did you try on Chrome or Firefox? I've never encountered that issue, even on Windows 7 IE.

It looks fine on Chrome

catwranglerkiki180703
    • All working in Firefox too