Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Scooby Doo 2015

Comments

• leego76leego76 Chandlers FordMember Posts: 360
    I picked up a mystery machine and completed the figs today just in case, but although I can't see a second wave there is no way wave one will be cut this short! That said I missed the zombies a couple of years ago by a week
  • sir_Bricksalotsir_Bricksalot UKMember Posts: 110
    Maybe this is the start of the great Lego Christmas shortage of 2015 :) Years from now people will reference this moment saying that's where it all started...
  • BrikingBriking Dorset, UKMember Posts: 762
    ^ time to empty the cupboards of unopened sets. Who wants to buy? Roll up, roll up
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,979
    MattsWhat said:
    Well let's look at the facts. They clearly weren't invested enough to print many of the bricks, or put too much weighting in number of sets, or dimensions levels or characters. In the UK they haven't had much stock anywhere for the two sets with the team in, they didn't even sell through Amazon. And now they have removed the theme from [email protected] The only real question for me is how much the mystery machine will go up. I've already ordered my spare (I don't really do the ordering 10 copies thing.)
    I don't think the number of stickers in the Scooby-Doo sets is any indication they weren't invested in the theme. Most of the stickers are decorations that the LEGO Group will never use again. It wasn't an AFOL/TFOL-oriented product like Creator Expert and LEGO Ideas sets, or a preschool-oriented product like Duplo and Juniors sets. The stickered decorations weren't critical to the identity of actual characters like the faces of the Legends of Chima Legend Beasts or the various characters from the Cars sets. They obviously don't go on curved elements like 3x3 radar dishes or 2x2 domes that CAN'T be effectively stickered. So why would we expect them to be printed?

If these were LEGO Star Wars sets it'd be the same story, and that's one of the LEGO Group's biggest themes year after year. So let's not start thinking that printing vs. stickers is a reflection of how much the LEGO Group cares about or invests in the theme. Clearly they invested enough to create at least nine new molds, and I'm sure that cost them way more than printed parts would have.

With that said, yes, Scooby-Doo was obviously not a high-profile license on the level of, say, Star Wars or Super Heroes. I expect the Mystery Machine will probably have the most lasting value as far as sets are concerned, since it's so iconic.

In remembrance of this theme, let's all raise our glasses to the time the LEGO Maniac teamed up with the Scooby-Doo gang against the Insectoids.
    Lyichir
  • donutboydonutboy U.K.Member Posts: 763
    edited November 2015
    All of these are back in stock now. It was simply a devious Lego ploy to sell a few extra sets to panic buyers. Bwahaha
    SumoLego77ncaachamps
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,318
    edited November 2015
    & it just showed back up in the list of themes on [email protected], all sets back in stock... Guessing it was just removed temporarily while all sets were OOS, wonder what the logic was to that.
    xiahna
  • BACbrixBACbrix AmericaMember Posts: 655
    Lego did not buy the Scooby Doo liscnese to do one small run. This first wave was a test to see if people wanted sets. Just like Minecraft minifigure scale sets did Lego did not aquire a major liscense for one wave. Scooby Doo is also in Dimensions so I have a feeling we will be seeing more. Just because there are not rumors yet doesn't mean there won't be more...
    77ncaachamps
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 15,013
    ^  I doubt the SD license was a major acquisition.  The license had not been particularly succesful elsewhere.

And also much different than Minecraft.  SD I'm sure sells well, but I'm sure Minecraft is in an entirely different echelon of sales.
  • blarghiflarghblarghiflargh Member Posts: 99
    I wonder if it's just a line that's meant to tie-in to Halloween?  So the speculation that the next wave won't be out until August 2016 again kind of makes sense to me.  
  • wayneggwaynegg Texas,USAMember Posts: 394
    edited November 2015
    SumoLego said:
    And also much different than Minecraft.  SD I'm sure sells well, but I'm sure Minecraft is in an entirely different echelon of sales.
    MC is definitely in a different echelon here. Scooby has to be restocked twice a week at my local big boxes while the Minecraft sets all have a layer of dust on the top of the box which can be measured with a standard ruler. The only time they even have to be fronted and faced is when someone excitedly grabs a Star Wars set that's on the shelf right next to them and bumps the MC box askew.
    VorpalRyuBACbrix
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    The leaked list of 2016 sets does not show anything for Scooby Doo.
  • flordflord CanadaMember Posts: 795
    I wasn't in love with this theme at first, but now as someone who missed out on Monster Fighters, me and my kids are really digging it. My question is: will there be a second wave, or is this it? When I see 3 of the 5 playsets grouped together on the Sales page I tend to think not, sadly.
    @flord, from everything I've heard, SD is a "one & done" theme, considering that there has been no new sets leaked or revealed for 2016, I would say that we've seen all there is going to be.
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    The Scooby Doo Collection is 20% off right now on Lego.com.  With the Double VIP Points, that's almost 30%.  Pretty good deal.

Other retailers are selling the Castle and Mystery Machine for about 20% right now too.  I'm gonna grab the collection, since I don't have the Castle yet.  IDK about the castle, but I'm fairly confident the Mystery Machine will be a hit with kids and adults alike.  I certainly like the Mystery Machine the best.

Scooby Doo was my #1 show when I was young.  Must have watched at least a thousand hours of it as a kid.
    preusskiki180703TheLoneTensor
    Well, the Mansion #75904 is the only one with Velma & Fred only comes with the Mystery Machine #75902, so those two sets are the essential sets to get if you want the whole Scooby gang. Strange, Brickset now lists a poly for 2016, #30601.....could it be that the theme isn't "one & done," or could TLG be trying to spook investors/resellers? 
  • tallblocktootallblocktoo CanadaMember Posts: 497
    edited March 2016
    I'm a huge Scooby Doo fan like I own every possible dvd/movie except for mystery incorporated because that was a crap series, so I am biased but I don't think it's over just yet. They could be waiting until fall or next year. A series isn't dead just because they don't produce a new lineup every season. 
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    My guess is that it's dead.  A poly with a film doesn't mean anything, especially when scooby is in Dimensions.  If anything it is just giving the game a push.  My tell tale for more sets would be a Scooby level pack arriving in Dimensions - no rumour for that yet.
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,592
    Dougout said:
    The Scooby Doo Collection is 20% off right now on Lego.com.  With the Double VIP Points, that's almost 30%.  Pretty good deal.
    saw that and then noticed I was on the US site. nothing in France :(
    it looked tempting.
  • dragon114dragon114 United StatesMember Posts: 642
    don't really want the rest of the set's, but i do want dafny and Velma .
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,985
    It really is a shame in that it seems that all my favorite theme and my son's favorite themes are one and done.
  • LukeSkywalkerLukeSkywalker IrelandMember Posts: 231
    BACbrix said:
    I'm a huge Scooby Doo fan like I own every possible dvd/movie except for mystery incorporated because that was a crap series, so I am biased but I don't think it's over just yet. They could be waiting until fall or next year. A series isn't dead just because they don't produce a new lineup every season. 
    How could you not like Mystery Incorporated?? I really like that series, thought it was so funny. :)
    The voice acting solely.... once you have Don Messick and Casey Kasem, it's hard to listen to 21st century actors replicating the voices. And the Shaggy x Velma relationship kind of going on made me vomit in my mouth. Fred is the one who says "Me, Velma and Daphne will go upstairs" "Shaggy, you and Scooby go exactly where the monster is while I get lucky with these girls." Lol I hated the series. 
    CircleKkiki180703
  • bricktuarybricktuary Krakozhia (temporarily stuck in London)Member Posts: 947
    Mystery Inc was great. HOWEVER I caught my kids watching some abomination yesterday, it had some of the voice actors from the (recent, low-budget) movies, and a dreadful animation style.  It looked terrible. 
    edited March 2016
    Dougout said:
    Agreed, this is one of the best deals that has been on [email protected] in a looooooong while.
    edited March 2016
    ^ Which would lead me to believe that the second production run of Scooby-Doo was either larger and has flatlined in sales, or isn't selling as well, overall.

The discounts have the same pattern as the year-ends on Chima, City and Ninjago.

(Not quite as drastic as the Galaxy Squad.)
    Ugh. This theme has so much potential. I will be very disappointed if this is it.
    I'm curious as to the broader potential you're thinking of.  They hit just about every one of the core stories/concepts with this wave.

And for the love of all that is holy, don't say anything like Scrappy Doo or Scooby Dum.
    SumoLegogmonkey76kiki180703
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,477

I'm of a similar opinion, and i say it as a big fan of both the Scooby Doo and Monster Fighter themes. Like a few of the licenced themes they suffer a little by being more about minifigures than builds, by doing a single wave they avoid too much obvious rehashing of ideas.

in fact I can think of only two other obvious sets for Scooby Doo, Abandoned Amusement Park and Pirate Ghost Ship.

they might have (and potentially still could) get away with a second wave, but sometimes I think it's best for them to step away before it falls apart.

I am curious to see if the Dimensions connection leads to any other Hanna Barbara stuff but not going to hold my breath.

catwranglerkiki180703
    edited March 2016
    First, I don't think the theme can be evergreen. And while more can be gleaned various tv shows and movies, they aren't limited to just that. Just use your imagination. I think there's another wave at least in that concept.

I'd like more Hanna Babara, too. Lots of fun characters there. That's a whole CMF line in itself.
  • SamJSamJ West Yorkshire, UK Member Posts: 118
    I'm guessing the 20% deal is over now? Everything is full price when I go on the store. 
    i was hoping for a set with the diver
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,916
    A one off cmf line with 16-18 figures would be fun. I can't imagine LEGO would have any trouble getting permission to do characters like the Harlem globetrotters or phyllis diller or Don knots and then some more of the "monster" characters. I realize this is likely not going to happen. 
    VorpalRyukiki180703
    I'm just picturing most of this forum saying "who?" :)
    pharmjodVorpalRyuSumoLegokiki180703
  • monkyby87monkyby87 Member Posts: 316
    I'm just picturing most of this forum saying "who?" :)

Ha, pretty much.  They just wouldn't have much appeal as minifigures I don't think.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,916
    Never the less, they are classic Scooby characters =)
    BACbrixVorpalRyutallblocktookiki180703
    I would be the one who rattles off every name in 10 seconds lol.
    VorpalRyubandit778SumoLegokiki180703
    Frankly, if there was such a demand, I'm sure MB or another competitor would have put something into production.

As an aside, at my local TRU there's a side-kick display with some off-brand minifigure knights in CMF packaging.  It's right in the middle of the Lego section, so one could be easily confused into thinking these are Lego product.

Funny thing, not ONE of them has moved in the last month.
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    I think they could have squeezed off a 2nd wave pretty easily - Tiki Monster, Ghost Racer, abandoned Mine, haunted farm, Amusement park, Ghost Ship to name a few. I doubt there would be much fig demand outside of the original gang and a few key "monsters" though and we just had that with wave 1. I'm a huge SD fan, but I have the gang now and really wouldn't care for a bunch of variants of those characters. That would leave the builds themselves and the spooky characters left to carry the demand for wave 2 which is probably a stretch. I'm happy with what we got and okay with it ending. 
    pharmjodkiki180703
    I'd love to see some Flintstones and Jetsons...
    tallblocktooVorpalRyupharmjodflordkiki180703Goldchainschuckp
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,985
    edited March 2016
    For me these sets were about the builds. Mystery Mansion was a very fun build and one of fav sets from last year. I bought the Island set for the build and to add into my summer scene.
  • bigfanofnubigfanofnu Member Posts: 3
    SamJ said:
    I'm guessing the 20% deal is over now? Everything is full price when I go on the store. 
    There is a special 3 pack bundle on Sales and Deals page for 75904, 75902, 75900 20% off. Each individually is RRP.
  • lawpepperdinelawpepperdine Member Posts: 7
    + kai polybag, +chicken suit guy, and + double VIP points.  If you want the Mystery Inc. gang, now is a good of time as any to get them.
    + kai polybag, +chicken suit guy, and + double VIP points.  If you want the Mystery Inc. gang, now is a good of time as any to get them.
    but i dnot want the other set and just the last two figs i need
  • VortexVortex Pakistan/USMember Posts: 342
    And so I kept procrastinating over the deal and missed out on it. Just because I already had the Van and could ship only one box and wanted the Airjitsu Temple really bad . 

I hope we get to see the Mansion on discount before its wiped. Would really like to have the whole crew .
  • 3stackshs3stackshs Member Posts: 299
    Mansion is 75.99 on amazon
    TXLegoguykiki180703
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,592
    I guess that's in the US? I would have been a bit pissed since I just got it for 84€ on amazon
  • rd1899rd1899 U.S.A.Member Posts: 189
    Fauch said:
    I guess that's in the US? I would have been a bit pissed since I just got it for 84€ on amazon
    Yep. $75.99 has been the prevailing low price on Amazon.com since late February.

Though, the better deal, if you didn't own the Mystery Machine yet, was the Scooby Doo three pack (mentioned a few posts above) on shop.Lego, which was recently discounted down to about $105 plus double points, though the Mystery Machine is temporarily sold out until at least after Easter (March 28th).

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,296
    Looks like Scooby Doo is going to be done by Playmobil: https://toyworldmag.co.uk/news/playmobil-announces-new-scooby-doo-deal/

DeMontes
  • mustang69mustang69 North CarolinaMember Posts: 544
    Scooby looks fine but Shaggy looks creepy.
    LittleLoriReesesPiecesdonutboygmonkey76tamamahmSumoLego