Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Predictions on Discontinuing Sets and their Secondary Market Value

Comments

• loporjai2003loporjai2003 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks, I grabbed a couple just to be sure. If they clearance price them later, I'll go back to price adjust.
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    @Farmer_John - It's hard to say for sure, but I feel like the Town Plan buildings are a bit smaller than Winter Village buildings. They're both designed for minifigs, but looking at the gas station or the theater sitting next to the toy shop... I just feel like the former buildings should be a lot bigger than the latter. Still, I think you could customize the town hall and have it fit right in.
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    Still, I think you could customize the town hall and have it fit right in.
    Yeah...but I would hate to change up the TP and lose its essence (if you know what I mean).

I guess I will probably just sell it and use the money for a GG.

Thanks @y2josh
  • SiESiE Member Posts: 238
    cant believe that the emerald night is going for £170 already on ebay
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    Bloomin eck! the last 2 completed ones on ebay were at 189! Glad I got a spare, wish I'd got 10 spares! I bought an extra 1 last summer as I could see it was a classic, before all the discussion on here started.
  • Cam_n_StuCam_n_Stu UKMember Posts: 368
    edited January 2012
    Wow two have already sold for £187.90 and £189.00 both plus P&P!

[Edit: Ninja'd by Sav!]
  • bahnstormerbahnstormer Member Posts: 180
    an EN sold for €250 just before xmas on ebay germany, prices down to 170 ish now.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,923
    Winter Toy Shop has already sold at double RSP glancing at eBay U.S. completed sales...even tripled once or twice.
  • dremel99dremel99 Member Posts: 123
    Yes, I thought the EM would be doubled in price within a couple of months. The current prices are no surprise to me. I don't think Maersk will appreciate as fast as EM though, jmo. I wish they would have made them more realistic like double stacked container cars.
  • bulletthelbueskybulletthelbuesky Member Posts: 8
    edited January 2012
    What are the chances of finding an Imperial Flagship in a Lego Store? (Possibly a bigger one like Downtown Disney or Legoland).

Or at least, the price coming down a little bit after the panic has calmed a little....?

(I'm new to aftermarket Lego purchases, so don't know how the market can fluctuate)

Thanks for any opinions.
  • krklintkrklint Member Posts: 502
    If you found one, you are a lucky lucky person who was there right when someone returned it (thats my guess).

The market can fluctuate, but not much. Seems in the last few years they just go up. I've an Emerald Night I was going to open up once the holidays were over... but now seeing the Ebay prices for this item, I might have to sell it to help purchase a Death Star.

Again, if you saw one, I hope you bought it :)
  • bricksanbricksan Member Posts: 566
    I know they had some at the store in Manchester.
  • recordmanrecordman Member Posts: 44
    I was lucky enough to pick up a EN on Monday for $70 at my local Lego store. It was an after Christmas return and was just put out on the shelf (has one dented corner). I plan to get the Maersk train very soon.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    Downtown Disney confirmed they don't have any IF, multiple times =( I was lucky and found one on Bricklink for retail at $180. Just received it yesterday. GL on the search, IF is definitely worth it.
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    Wow - just looked up Emerald Night on eBay. They are selling for between $130-$200, with most in the $150-170 range. That was quick indeed! Glad I ended up with 12 of them.
  • LegoChiefLegoChief Member Posts: 21
    Wow - just looked up Emerald Night on eBay. They are selling for between $130-$200, with most in the $150-170 range. That was quick indeed! Glad I ended up with 12 of them.
    Wish I could have ended up with just 1 of them. Hard or believe they were only $89 a few short weeks ago. I almost got one earlier today on Bricklink for $109.99 + shipping, but the seller decided to pull them and email me to say they were no longer available.

• Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    Both the IF and EN were EOL'd at roughly the same time. I really think that both are gems that will perform well in the aftermarket for years to come. My kids and I built the IF and EN over Christmas break and they are just an awesome sets. However, I would have to lean towards the IF performing better than the EN for a few reasons:

1) The IF is an old-styled ship that is original and just well done by TLG.
    2) The IF is probably one of the largest ships TLG will ever release.
    3) The MSRP is almost twice as high as the EN, and higher prices sets seem to perform better (at least historically).
    4) There have been so many trains released by lego (although the EN is my personal favorite) that a purchaser has many to chose from.

These are just my opinions... I do have a couple extra of both and plan to hold them over a year before I sell them to increase my return.
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    @Farmer_John - good points all around. I have 2 Imperial Flagships (1 built, 1 MIB) Great set, and I agree, it is an ultimate build ship from LEGO.
    You guys aren't making me feel any better about deciding to pull the trigger on getting an IF about 2 weeks too late.... :P But thanks for the input. Oh, what to do, what to do...?
  • tk79tk79 Member Posts: 329
    You guys aren't making me feel any better about deciding to pull the trigger on getting an IF about 2 weeks too late.... :P But thanks for the input. Oh, what to do, what to do...?
    Keep an eye out on Ebay, one just sold as BIN for $205 plus shipping which is a good price imo, not much above retail. The lowest I see on Bricklink is $230 and the other BIN options on Ebay are currently $260+. Good luck.

edited January 2012
    Actually, I think the prices now are much more reasonable than they will be in a year. Although the IF is a completely different type of set than the GG, I believe it will appreciate the same way. Based on input from my boys, the IF is incredibly more playable and a much better build than a modular (although I like those too).

Lego does have some really cool sets that they've released over the years!
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    Shoot, buy it now as its not that much higher. I'd bet you would be good to buy 10+ now at current prices and still be more than good down the road.

As far as Lego stores go, I would not be surprised to walk into the store at Downtown Disney and find a how pile of them on the floor. I've seen it happen countless times over the years. Returns still happening too as I've picked up AT-AT's, MVR's and Toy Shop's on returns -- at clearance prices!
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    In the UK, the cheapest one available now is £100 over retail, so if you can get it cheaper, I'd go for it if I were you.
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    edited January 2012
    I know everybody is talking about Emerald Night, but has anybody noticed that the limited edition AT-AT 8129, has jumped up a lot on the after market since December. circa doubled in price. Thanks goodness I picked one up.
  • scratchdeskscratchdesk Member Posts: 155
    I know everybody is talking about Emerald Night, but has anybody noticed that the limited edition AT-AT 8129, has jumped up a lot on the after market since December. circa doubled in price. Thanks goodness I picked one up.
    Yeah, I grabbed one off FAO last week. Get it while you can (or until they make another...)
    edited January 2012
    Yeah, I grabbed one off FAO last week. Get it while you can (or until they make another...)
    I was barely able to get one on sale from [email protected] before it was gone. When I called about it when it was unsure whether they would ship it to me or not, the Lego CS rep said they had already released 4 or 5 and it was probable another would be released at some point.
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    Countdown to MMV retirement? Amazon is out. No longer on Wal-Mart or [email protected] Target is limiting to buying 10 at a time, so not sure how many they have. Toys R Us appears to be in stock right now at MSRP. Use 10% code TGTHTT5Z at Target, or the $10 off $50 at TRU, to get it at $90.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,154
    ^-- MMV is still on LEGO.com and in stock.

^ Ah - you're right. I was looking in Kingdoms. It's in the Hard to Find section. My bad. Sold out on TRU now, btw.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,154
    edited January 2012
    ^--- Still, thanks for the code for Target... Just wondering if I want to buy now or later.
  • cbaker1974cbaker1974 Member Posts: 150
    Well, at least with the most recent exclusives, the order of sellout has been [email protected] followed by the other large retailers, not the reverse like we see here...with it still avail at [email protected], I'd say it still has some time left and the other retail sites just happen to be OOS for the moment.

This same kind of pattern happened last year with MMV and the Death Star in March and a lot of people bit and bought loads of them due to Amazon continually going low/out of stock as a "warning sign of retirement", but that just seems to be a normal Amazon pattern.
    Yeah, and TRU goes out of stock quite frequently. Not time to panic yet. I only posted because I couldn't find it on [email protected] - but I was looking in the wrong spot and didn't bother doing a search. Carry on.
  • bahnstormerbahnstormer Member Posts: 180
    picked up an EN from an independent store yesterday for 75 euro, bought a few other things (7994, 8672, 8386(all at 50% off!) )so the owner reduced it by 20% - we need more store owners like this one !
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,208
    Yeah, and TRU goes out of stock quite frequently. Not time to panic yet. I only posted because I couldn't find it on [email protected] - but I was looking in the wrong spot and didn't bother doing a search. Carry on.
    Now that I think about it, its branded Castle so was it ever in the Kingdoms section?

• parkerwilsonparkerwilson Member Posts: 142
    10188 Only stayed in stock at amazon for a few days. Glad I picked 1 up sunday, Now to decide if I open it or not
    Well, I broke down and got 10210 Imperial Flagship yesterday. Got an Ok price on Bricklink... was watching some auctions on Ebay this weekend and those things were blowing up! One set was in a box that was smashed to hell and it went for $240 plus shipping. Craziness.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Get two copies of 10188 if you're concerned... It is worth opening and building, it is so playable and cool to build each of the rooms, worth every penny...

My 2.3 cents...
    Get two copies of 10188 if you're concerned... It is worth opening and building, it is so playable and cool to build each of the rooms, worth every penny...

My 2.3 cents...
    Yes I should have, I just figured it was gonna stay in stock for at least a week or 2. Might just have to fork over the extra $40 in shipping and tax to lego SAH
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    That $40 will seem cheap compared to the price of this set in a year. ;)

Still, it may come back in stock at Amazon, so waiting a few weeks might be ok as well.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    What does everyone think of the Imperial Shuttle discontinuation date?
    and MF?
    and battle for endor?
    and DS for that matter? (now all the panic has died down)
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    edited January 2012
    I expect the Death Star to be discontinued at the end of the year. I would imagine the Imperial Shuttle and the Super Star Destoyer will go in to next year and possibly longer for the latter.
    Despite the cheap current prices, and likely appreciation in price after discontinuation, I honestly can't bring myself to buy The battle of Endor or Home One (at least at the moment). Neither set excites me, which is odd given I am a huge Star Wars fan!
    Go Figure. (been dieing to say this)
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,923
    I don't like BOE except for the crapload of minifigs. However the battlepacks coming out with dilute the value a bit.
    @bulletthelbuesky the IF is definitely a good buy before it is extinct for sure. I luckily picked mine up for RRP on BL the weekend I found out it was EOL.

@Si I don't know but I'm not taking any chances on the IS. Picked one up NIB on Amazon for a steal at $179 shipped. Objectively speaking, I think its one of the most artistic and art-deco sets ever produced for SW. The gleaming white will ensure its a high value collectable in the far, far away future.
    However, this thread did not save me from 8129 AT-AT Walker going EOL on me by surprise. I called every Lego B&M in the US, no luck. Prices have jumped quite a bit since I found out.
    There will likely be another At-At walker issued before the end of the Star Wars line, right? New AFOL here, seems like there is a new issue every 3-4 years.
    Yes you're right about the 3-4 years: 8129 (2010), 10178 (2007), 4483 (2003).

I can only hope they make a new one. Coming to grips that I just missed the boat though.
  • herekittykittyherekittykitty Member Posts: 122
    @BrickDancer, if you REALLY want one, they're actually not too terribly unreasonable on ebay. They seem to be going for $140-180 plus shipping - I got one for $145 plus shipping today. I figure that's about what I would have paid for it at TRU's "retail" prices, which I would have jumped all over had they had one left once my husband figured out that's what he wanted. (This is the man who never ever wants ANYTHING for Christmas or birthdays, EVER, so for him to come out and say that "if you find one at a reasonable price that would be a cool one to have" is pretty huge. Just wish he'd realized that in October instead of mid-January...)

FWIW I am not a huge star wars fan, I like the concept and find it cool but have no real interest in actually building the ships, but this is probably one of the few, or even the one, set that I really like and wouldn't mind displaying.
    I'm with you on that kitty. I don't want a ton of star wars, but this is near the top of the list. But I'm sticking with my "RRP or less" rule.

There wasn't much talk of this one going so I put it off. I just gave that same dreaded phrase as everyone else, "I'll pick it up later, there's other sets I need now." Funny how I can still pick up an MMV at Lego B&M but no AT-AT at RRP =(.
  • intromissionintromission Member Posts: 197
    edited January 2012
    Did you guys read about this Amazon.IT deal over on the toysnbricks forum? A bunch of discontinued stuff at just about MSRP, maybe a little over. AT-AT was one of them.
    Seems like a lot of people had their orders canceled, but it is unclear whether it was because they overdid it on the quantities and tried to milk the flat rate shipping. If you're just ordering one I'd give it a shot. I almost did for the Emerald Night but I had to control myself and be responsible with my $.