Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Market Flooded

2»

Comments

• sklambsklamb speaker of American EnglishMember Posts: 506
    ^
    http://www.realityprose.com/what-happened-with-lego/

Take a read. It may be a little long, but very informative.

Sadly, it's also two years out of date. It wasn't until 2015 that I began to feel the floor on Lego set prices was rising, and rising surprisingly fast. There are still a few pocket-money sets being made, but sets at any price point over about $10 now seem to me smaller than a few years ago, and new (and higher) price points are being created for almost every theme. In 2016 more announced sets will be priced at either $109 or $119 (2 + 6) than at $99 (7); in 2013 the proportion was 6 at the pair of higher price points (including one education set) versus 8 at $99. It used to be customary for the top-of-the-line set of every theme to be under $100, except for those directed at older buyers (Star Wars, Architecture, Technic and the Modulars, primarily). That is no longer the case. Furthermore, although the piece count of the high-end sets is continuing to rise, I suspect the weight (a good indication of the average size of the pieces) is not increasing at the same rate.
    MrJ_NYkiki180703dougts
  • AndorAndor United StatesMember Posts: 252
    SumoLego said:
    There was a very polite grandmother looking for a red dragon.  But it wasn't red, it was a white dinosaur.  With ninjas that could fly around the room.

After looking over the selection, she bought a Cargo Train.  And the Friends Hot Air Balloon.  She said they were much more sensible choices for her grandchildren.

And that she would come back for the Elves dragons before Christmas.  

^cash register sound^

And she bought a $5.99 Bee Girl keychain for herself.  'Very cute, I like this.'

^cash register sound, cash register sound, cash register sound^
    And that is why the LEGO group is thriving. All those ^cash register sounds^
    SumoLegokiki180703VorpalRyu
  • MrJ_NYMrJ_NY A flick missle away from Brickagara FallsMember Posts: 592
    edited March 2016
    CHA-CHING!  CHA-CHING!  CHA-CHING!  CHA-CHING!  CHA-CHING!  CHA-CHING!

LEGO Group annual report: sales growth of 19% in 2015

CHA-CHING!  CHA-CHING!  CHA-CHING!  CHA-CHING!  CHA-CHING!  CHA-CHING!

• DNADNA New York, USAMember Posts: 89
    I too have switched toward mocing over sets. I do like all the variety of sets though. Themes like elves have introduced tons of great new parts and colors. I cannot wait to get three or four starlight inns just for the bricks assuming those windows are printed.
    I bought three starlight inns the other day for the same reason. The elves theme is so great for the parts and colors. I was pretty happy to see the printed windows in bag three when I opened up the box. 

The set comes with two identical sheets of these stickers

I like the variety of all of the sets but I've been spending most of my time in store in the pick a brick section compared to a year ago when I was primarily buying sets.  

catwranglerBumblepantsAmanda1983kiki180703eanair
  • MrJ_NYMrJ_NY A flick missle away from Brickagara FallsMember Posts: 592
    edited March 2016

This is how it will sound at Lego stores/Double VIP points coming up the 7th

tallblocktooSumoLegokiki180703VorpalRyu
  • KingAlanIKingAlanI Rochester, NYMember Posts: 2,092
    edited March 2016
    I've kept myself to most of a particular subtheme and a few other sets. The Pokemon attitude (gotta catch 'em all) can really mess up collectors, including myself. That doesn't mean it's a bad thing for all of them to exist.
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    MOC'ing the best form of Lego therapy.  Even if you can't MOC worth a damn it still can be more enjoyable than building by the instructions.  One can only build so many sets using instructions before it leads to burn-out and in the end feels like labor. 
    AllBrick
    MattsWhat said:

If the price and quantity of sets is pushing you away from Lego then close the door behind you as far as I (and presumably Lego) are concerned.  It is a hugely first world problem to complain on the internet with 'there is too much choice' and 'I don't have enough money to buy all the things I don't actually need but really want'.  Get over it people.
    If Lego did away with the Exclusion discounting ban I think it would eliminate 75% of the need for this and other similar threads.  We're AFOLS who want Exclusives at a discount.  It's the American Way.
    pharmjodSumoLego
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,305
    What if they put the US prices up by 50% and gave you a 27% discount. Would that do?
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,450
    ^ Too much math.
  • HokieJoe99HokieJoe99 Member Posts: 351
    edited March 2016
    ^^Buy half as much about 4 times as fast. 
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,305
    SumoLego said:
    ^ Too much math.
    Indeed, which is why such "discounts" often work. Some people think it is much better to get a 27% off a product than nothing, even though the base price for the discounted one has been set unreasonably high.
    DadSumoLegomadforLEGO
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,202
    I'm not sure that the market is flooded.... people may be spoiled for choice... that is true!

But what I think is happening is that people who do collect, they are running out of room for their LEGO.... between storage for parts/boxes/containers, and storing or displaying your models, it starts gobbling up a significant amount of housing space.  Displaying those Modulars in streetscapes alone takes up a lot of room, and don't get me started on how much space train layouts take up.  Not everyone has a large basement area, or converted attic space, or a large accessible loft above the garage.

And then there is that most dreaded scenario for LEGO builders/collectors... a "significant other" that utters those most terrifying words to any LEGO enthusiast.... "enough already!"  :-O
    catwrangleroldtodd33kiki180703
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^Those are the reasons in my case for limiting my scope of themes and overall buying. Not enough space to store, let alone display. Plus time is becoming more and more scarce.

And I did also have the gf belly aching about 'no more lego' or 'did you get my permission to buy that?'. The fix was to bribe her silence with a shiny diamond ring and the magical words of "Will you marry me?" So now I'm back to my regularly scheduled program of Lego and Call of Duty =D
    BumblepantsSprinkleOtterpharmjodkiki180703koozsamiam391ricecake
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,315
    edited March 2016
    The only theme I'm collecting is MARVEL, most of my other personal purchases are MOC fodder. Unfortunately, I've gotten my wife back into Lego too, so there's her Elves collection, the Modulars we're collecting together, plus Creator, City, Duplo, etc for the children. The up side is, because we're all Lego addicts, we have a household Lego allowance as part of our budget.
    tallblocktooKevin_Hyattkiki180703catwrangler
  • koozkooz Connecticut, USAMember Posts: 158
    Not enough space to store, let alone display. 
    This is a big problem for me. 
    madforLEGO
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 1,001
    Something is flooded, not sure if it is an entire market of not, but Walmart is moving out some sets at 50% off that haven't been around that long, included the friends plane #41100, the Hotel #41101 at $50!!  Also Elves set #41078 at $40.  Talk about "out with the old, in with the new" on stuff that isn't that old.
    77ncaachampskiki180703
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,854
    Okay, I think somebody just won the thread.
    VorpalRyuSumoLegoRonyarkiki180703
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,101
    ^I just re-read the thread and I still don't get it.
    ecmo47 said:
    I'll spell it out for you:  The Medieval Market is Flooded.

And can also explain why this particular set has not appreciated as much in value as thousands of investors have hoped.

pharmjodtallblocktooVorpalRyuSumoLegoRonyarkiki180703
    ^ Is their over-abundance of availability also a factor in the slower-than-expected appreciation?

New topic:

Market Flooded of Flooded Market

BTW, it ceases to be funny if you have to explain the joke.  You're just better off letting them figure it out for themselves... or not figure it out for themselves. 

Am I right?  @Pitfall69 - Cows have four stomachs.
    pharmjodRainstorm26kiki180703DeMontes
    As an aside, how retailers go about discounting sets really has no effect on TLG.

Again, I haven't seen the repurchase agreements (if they exist) between TLG and the big retailers, but if the retailers want to cut into their margin to move product, that cost is squarely at the retailer's discretion.

Given that TRU has an amazing amount of zombie (retired) stock - how Wal-Mart operates their warehouse stock levels may demonstrate why they move 'new' stock more quickly.

More units at a lower margin with less selection is how Wal-Mart became Wal-Mart.
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    SumoLego said:
    As an aside, how retailers go about discounting sets really has no effect on TLG.
    It affects their image - and they're rather fussy about that.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,933
    edited March 2016

ryjay said:
    Something is flooded, not sure if it is an entire market of not, but Walmart is moving out some sets at 50% off that haven't been around that long, included the friends plane #41100, the Hotel #41101 at $50!!  Also Elves set #41078 at $40.  Talk about "out with the old, in with the new" on stuff that isn't that old.
    Walmart has been doing things like this for some time now, so it really is not an indicator IMO.
    mathew said:
    ecmo47 said:
    I'll spell it out for you:  The Medieval Market is Flooded.

And can also explain why this particular set has not appreciated as much in value as thousands of investors have hoped.

I think the fact they were also perpetually on sale for 25-33% off (if not more at times due to things like sales, TRUs BOGO50 and B2G1F offers back in the day) during their run often helped keep them 'affordable' in the aftermarket (and also meant that you still make a decent amount if you got them on sale).
    I think it's actually relatively harder to get the Mill Village Raid affordably - I'm curious about whether people tried to buy it with an eye to investment/whether it was as well discounted as Medieval Market Village... my impression is that there are fewer sets knocking around on the secondary market in whatever condition, but that may just be the timing of when I've gone looking for it...
    edited March 2016
    I think it's actually relatively harder to get the Mill Village Raid affordably - I'm curious about whether people tried to buy it with an eye to investment/whether it was as well discounted as Medieval Market Village... my impression is that there are fewer sets knocking around on the secondary market in whatever condition, but that may just be the timing of when I've gone looking for it...
    Mill village raid was a bit pricey when it was out though, and if my memory recalls was not on sale and if it was it was not for a lot off (like MMV was) and for a long time MVR was not going for a lot on the secondary market up until maybe mid last year when it rose pretty well. I think the Goats, Chickens, spotted pig, and horse flipped it around.
    Interesting - the Farmer in the current CMFs comes with a spotted pig; I wonder if that'll decrease the demand for MVR a little... then again, goats? Apart from Duplo, the only place you'll find a goat is indeed MVR...

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=95341pb01&in=S
    edited March 2016
    Interesting - the Farmer in the current CMFs comes with a spotted pig; I wonder if that'll decrease the demand for MVR a little... then again, goats? Apart from Duplo, the only place you'll find a goat is indeed MVR...

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=95341pb01&in=S
    Not the same pig. Plus the black spotted pig (in the MVR) was also in the rescue reinforcements set for LEGO Movie, but neither set was cheap.

catwrangler