Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Lego early EOL'ing of a set from a series

Lego sometimes will EOL a certain set from a series early, (thus making it scarce, expensive & sought-after), for example:-

#9465 The Zombies from Monster Fighters & #60064 Arctic Supply Plane from City Arctic Expedition.

Has Lego done this with any other series ????

Comments

• BACbrixBACbrix AmericaMember Posts: 655
    Power Miners #8707 was limited edition just like the Supply Plane was not for sale less than a year into the release of the set while all the others were. I specifically remember because I got into Power Miners towards the end and was having a hard time getting that set.
  • MrJ_NYMrJ_NY A flick missle away from Brickagara FallsMember Posts: 592
    edited February 2016
    Would TLG do that? Just ask all the devout  Modular collectors about 10224 Town Hall
    gmonkey76
  • goshe7goshe7 Columbus, Ohio, USAMember Posts: 515
    Jurassic World #75920 is Retired while the rest of JW remains available.  
    gmonkey76
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,306
    edited February 2016

Lego sometimes will EOL a certain set from a series early, (thus making it scarce, expensive & sought-after), for example:-

#9465 The Zombies from Monster Fighters & #60064 Arctic Supply Plane from City Arctic Expedition.

Has Lego done this with any other series ????

LEGO did it with the Mine sub theme and the #4202 mining truck as well. It is typically the set that is a retailer exclusive in the US that tends to go quicker than the others.
    gmonkey76Oldfan
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,592
    We only think they EOL stuff early (or sometimes late). It may be part of their sales plan.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,784
    I would suggest it probably their sales plan.
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 616
    Most of these examples are the "limited edition" sets sold exclusively by a single retailer (and shop.lego.com).  This is one reason I pick these sets up as soon as I can, and fill in the rest of the theme later.
    Paperballparkgmonkey76madforLEGO
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,052
  • tratclifftratcliff Member Posts: 13
    #70703 Star Slice from Galaxy Squad may be another, it went unavailable at [email protected] months before the rest of the series. 
  • GentlyBenevolentGentlyBenevolent Member Posts: 327
    tratcliff said:
    #70703 Star Slice from Galaxy Squad may be another, it went unavailable at [email protected] months before the rest of the series. 
    OOOHHH I've got 2 of those somewhere in my collection :)
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,709
    There was a short lived creator house exclusive to target a few years back that only lasted about three months iirc. And the helicopter and limo set Walmart had a short lifespan too.
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,092
    LEGO Minecraft #21118: The Mine has been retired, which is very bizarre, given that it's a far better set than #21117: The Ender Dragon, for example. All other sets are still available.
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    ^it's £30 more than #21117 though. Maybe it only ever existed to test the water for the rumoured D2C set, see if anyone wants minecraft over £60 kind of thing.
  • ZonZon Member Posts: 214
    #76039 was only out for about 6 months before it retired.  
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,092
    MattsWhat said:
    ^it's £30 more than #21117 though. Maybe it only ever existed to test the water for the rumoured D2C set, see if anyone wants minecraft over £60 kind of thing.
    That's a fair point... I still think that it's the best Minecraft set so far. :-)
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    If EOL dates were vaguely predictable, what do you think would happen? A lot of people would hang on until the bitter end hoping for a better bargain than the last one. I imagine that's not in TLG's interest for a number of reasons.
    madforLEGOkiki180703ARo2891
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    City Limo and Helicopter #3222
  • blade_guyblade_guy Member Posts: 191
    #60027 only stayed in the UK for 5 months then disappeared.