Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Predictions on Discontinuing Sets and their Secondary Market Value

Comments

• ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,101
    Without which, this website would not exist. 
    RonyarSumoLegomadforLEGOAmanda1983kiki180703
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,753
    Without which, you wouldn't be able to buy any retired sets without paying extreme prices, as there would be next to none available...
    SumoLegomadforLEGOAmanda1983kiki180703
  • Kevin_HyattKevin_Hyatt UKMember Posts: 778
    There's a difference between 'making profit' and 'scalping'. The way you snap so quickly at the word suggests trolling or defensiveness.

Also I'm pretty sure that Brickset would exist without people selling certain sets at certain times for inflated prices.

I'm sorry for rocking the boat by not joining in the circle-jerk of telling each other prices will only ever rise and making a different prediction. I'll just mosey on out and leave you all to it.
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    Yay, an argument about whether sealed retired sets are worth any money that I didn't start!
    FollowsCloselylegomentalAmanda1983kiki180703
  • goshe7goshe7 Columbus, Ohio, USAMember Posts: 515
    There's a difference between 'making profit' and 'scalping'. The way you snap so quickly at the word suggests trolling or defensiveness.
    Please explain.  My cultural context of the word "scalping" refers to reselling event tickets, typically above face value.  
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    edited February 2016
    ^the difference is that the person paying uses one word and the person being paid uses the other ;)
    pharmjodYodaliciousAmanda1983kiki180703
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    You're not rocking the boat, you're being a crass troll.  This is the reselling thread.  If you don't agree with the ideals here, you can discuss them rationally.  If you can't do that, don't read it.
    What I saw, is someone coming into a room  and yelling an expletive that they know will cause anger, and run out.

Very much like this:

TheLoneTensorBumblepantspharmjodAmanda1983Jackad7kiki180703DougoutMasterBeefy
    Correct me if I am wrong, but "scalping" is illegal or prohibited in many places; buying LEGO sets for resale is not. Some may argue that it is the same thing, but it is not. We have had this argument in the forum before and it got pretty heated. 
    Amanda1983kiki180703MasterBeefy
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 819
    I'd think scalping would pertain to buying the lego sets outright, but then charging more for them outside of a business that also sells that item...not sure how it is advantageous to the seller/buyer in that situation. But otherwise, surely buying LEGO for resale later isn't the same as scalping.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited February 2016
    Sethro3 said:
    I'd think scalping would pertain to buying the lego sets outright, but then charging more for them outside of a business that also sells that item...not sure how it is advantageous to the seller/buyer in that situation. But otherwise, surely buying LEGO for resale later isn't the same as scalping.
    I refer to it as "speculatory investing."

Pitfall69 said:
    You're not rocking the boat, you're being a crass troll.  This is the reselling thread.  If you don't agree with the ideals here, you can discuss them rationally.  If you can't do that, don't read it.
    What I saw, is someone coming into a room  and yelling an expletive that they know will cause anger, and run out.

Very much like this:

I am confused though, because he's an active poster with a lot of likes.  Whatever, back to talking about Klingons around Uranus or whatever it was we were discussing.
    Amanda1983kiki180703
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    For me, scalping would be more akin to quick flipping a new or limited set. Basically like how concert/event tickets are nowadays, where someone works extra hard to be first in line and basically clears the shelf minutes into the race. Then turns around and holds the product for ransom to the highest bidders.
    catwranglerAmanda1983dougtskiki180703
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    Yeah, and when I said my earlier comment that caused this minor skirmish, I didn't mean to insinuate that resellers (of which I am one) are, by any means, wrong.  My only point is that at this point of the EOL for DS, the unopened sealed has appreciated quickly to the point that if you really just want it to build it, a used copy is much cheaper.  
    Amanda1983kiki180703
  • sir_Bricksalotsir_Bricksalot UKMember Posts: 110
    Just on the topic of buying used sets... I came out of the dark ages last August and so have had to turn AFOLS/resellers offloading stuff to get some of the great sets I've missed.  
    Apart from the buys I've done on Brickset (not sucking up - genuinely all excellent and exactly as advertised) I've bought some larger used sets on eBay to try and save a few £££.
    I know its not an option to all but all the eBay sets I've bought were described as complete and every one has had pieces missing - one you couldnt even build the set without the bit (Ok i am talking about 1,500+ piece sets).  It is frustrating!
    Honestly its got to the point now where if i cant buy a used set from another AFOL I'd go for open boxed, sealed bags.
    DS is a tough one given the price and piece count.  Although saying that if you can get a good deal (and factor in a few bob for missing bits) then there's always the thrill of bricklinking to complete the creation :)
    After all that my point is what your definition of "complete" is is not necessarily the same as what you end up with.

IMO though I'm actually kind of happy that there are re-sellers out there. At least I've got the option to purchase a set from pre 2015.  If i dont like the price i can move on.
    legomentalYo_dAAmanda1983kiki180703
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 14,293
    I'm sorry for rocking the boat by not joining in the circle-jerk of telling each other prices will only ever rise and making a different prediction. I'll just mosey on out and leave you all to it.
    Let's all go back to making predictions on the U.S. housing market circa 2007.  Prices will only rise... forever!

Granted, it's 'just' Lego, but the million dollar question is when there is a decline in the secondary market.  I'm sure someone is hoarding Construct-a-Zurgs expecting the market to rebound.
    edited February 2016
    Because of their scarcity, I doubt we'll see a decline in value of the sought-after sets (CC, GG, MF, Mr. Gold, early SW UCS, Taj Mahal, Statue of Liberty, etc.), but I can definitely see a decline in later sets of the same scale that were initially more widely available.
    VorpalRyuAmanda1983dougtskiki180703
  • brownbricks720brownbricks720 Cleveland, OhioMember Posts: 47
    Everyone is focused on Star Wars and other exclusives. If you want to be wise with your investments spend your life savings on friends. Those dolls are great!
    Hahahaha...ahem...sorry.
    Jackad7kiki180703
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    SumoLego said:

Granted, it's 'just' Lego, but the million dollar question is when there is a decline in the secondary market.  I'm sure someone is hoarding Construct-a-Zurgs expecting the market to rebound.
    I really wish you would quit bringing up the Construct-a-Zurgs! It keeps reminding me of the pile I have in my closest. I haven't checked lately...has it reached MSRP yet?
    Pitfall69SumoLegoVorpalRyuLegoboyAmanda1983Jackad7catwranglerkiki180703
    @Farmer_John - I have a pile of them next to my unopened Galidor action figures.  Strangely, I still have an affinity for Zurg.

What's an MSRP?

I find the prospect of collecting Friends sets intriguing.  I must admit I have the full line of Elves sets in storage.  
    VorpalRyukiki180703
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,834
    Someone selling a DS for $550 is hardly scalping. They could have been holding that thing for six years for little profit. It was very clear it was on the way out, anyone that missed it only has themselves to blame.
    BumblepantsAmanda1983Pitfall69SumoLegodougtskiki180703
    Everyone is focused on Star Wars and other exclusives. If you want to be wise with your investments spend your life savings on friends. Those dolls are great!
    I'm not sure if that is a joke or not. The dolls are great (if you like them). But Friends is like City, nothing will rise too much in value, and similar sets will come and go in future.
    Pitfall69kiki180703
  • DadDad UKMember Posts: 816
    ^ Buy in price is everything with Friends and City. 
    Pitfall69kiki180703
  • masterX244masterX244 GermanyMember Posts: 530
    wagnerml2 said:
    Frankly, if you are looking for a copy of DS to build, get a complete used copy.  You are going to open and build it anyway, why pay the premium for the sealed box at this point?
    to avoid nasty surprises like important parts missing or smoker household parts.. (or a few other variants)
    Amanda1983madforLEGOkiki180703
    Dad said:
    ^ Buy in price is everything with Friends and City. 
    Yes, anything is going to do well if you can buy low enough. Even Consruct-a-Zurgs. 
    VorpalRyuSumoLegoAmanda1983Rainstorm26kiki180703
  • desantisdesantis USAMember Posts: 11
    Ewok Village hasn't been available on Amazon for about a week now.  On the way out?
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 1,001
    CCC said:
    I'm not sure if that is a joke or not. The dolls are great (if you like them). But Friends is like City, nothing will rise too much in value, and similar sets will come and go in future.
    Not true at all,  some sets sold very well this past christmas for more then retail.  #3185 did very well for me
    ryjay said:
    CCC said:
    Not true at all,  some sets sold very well this past christmas for more then retail.  #3185 did very well for me
    Of course there will always be some that buck the trend. There are plenty of Friends sets that haven't risen much past even 10% RRP. However, I wouldn't hold even the successful sets longer term. They are likely to redo a stables or farm again. And when they do, the prices of tge older ones will stagnate and worse, sales volume will drop.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,174
    edited February 2016
    desantis said:
    Ewok Village hasn't been available on Amazon for about a week now.  On the way out?
    Just because a set is missing from a retailer for a week does not mean it is gone or going. It will likely be gone from [email protected] first  (that is 'Sold out' or listed as retired) before stocks are cleared out in other places. I think the recent example of this was The Tumbler.. gone from [email protected], then from Amazon, then from other retailers (like Target, Walmart, etc)
  • BACbrixBACbrix AmericaMember Posts: 655
    @Kevin_Hyatt You hate resellers who make lots of money off of smart investments? We are not going to be friends I'm afraid...
    SprinkleOtterFollowsCloselykiki180703
    Ewok Villages still in stock at my local Lego Store.  Haven't seen a Death Star since Christmas.

So naturally, let's retire the Tumbler.
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376

SumoLego said:
    @Farmer_John - I have a pile of them next to my unopened Galidor action figures.  Strangely, I still have an affinity for Zurg.

What's an MSRP?

I find the prospect of collecting Friends sets intriguing.  I must admit I have the full line of Elves sets in storage.  
    The Galidor comment makes me laugh.  There is someone on Craigslist in St. Louis that posts a Galidor poly at least twice a week asking $5 for it.  Its literally been for sale for at least 3 years.   I chuckl everytime I get a CL notice and I log in only to find that is the "prize".

Pitfall69SumoLegokiki180703
    Just buy it. Surely it is worth $5 not to get false notices. :-)
    SprinkleOtterSumoLegowagnerml2pharmjodBumblepantskiki180703snowhitieJackad7ricecake
  • brownbricks720brownbricks720 Cleveland, OhioMember Posts: 47
    CCC said:
    Yeah it is just a joke. So many people get so serious on this thread. I'm here to lighten the mood. 
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,101
    I'm sure your not talking about me!
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    Anyone see that The Big Bang Theory is already on 20% discount?  I have one, don't know if I'd even bother buying one for resale.  Who does that set even appeal to?  A tiny portion of AFOLS that watch and like the show enough? 

I've watched the show a few times.  It's sort of funny, but I am not a fan.  I think TLG made a big mistake on making that an Ideas set.  I'd rather have an Exo Suit
    MrJ_NYLegoloverman
    edited February 2016
    Then I wouldn't count on a second run.  

Much like the Curiosity set - I would anticipate a timely retirement with the comensurate post-retirement rise in value.  

But probably not anywhere as sustainable as the Delorean, but not as modest as the Exo-Suit, Research Institute or the Microworld Minecraft sets.

And can someone explain to me how that Delorean is doing so well?

The Ecto-1 seems to be enjoying a long lifespan.  And since the BBT is available at TRU, it may be available for years after retirement.
  • tick1970tick1970 LondonMember Posts: 117
    Just saw some Painting Easter Eggs in local Tesco for £6, not bad that it was a LEGO exclusive and also retired back in first quarter 2015, worth a punt?
    Bumblepantskiki180703
    SumoLego said:

And can someone explain to me how that Delorean is doing so well?

I wonder if it is because it is not exactly a very good set. I found it boring as a build and not really a great display piece once put together. That certainly stopped me buying any for resale (and I sold mine too). Yet there is still demand from collectors of BTTF stuff, who either aren't opening them, don't care about the aesthetics, or won't find out till they build it.
    SumoLego
  • DavidBrickleyDavidBrickley Richmond, VAMember Posts: 345
    Dougout said:
    Anyone see that The Big Bang Theory is already on 20% discount?  I have one, don't know if I'd even bother buying one for resale.  Who does that set even appeal to?  A tiny portion of AFOLS that watch and like the show enough? 

I'd like to get a second set for displaying the characters in their Justice League costumes in a MOC comic shop, but otherwise don't see the appeal of getting multiples.
    Honestly, I thought the Delorean was one of the best sets I've ever built and I've built a lot of sets.  I thought it looks nice on display and is pretty accurate to the one in the movies.  I loaded up on that set.  It seems to have peaked in value though, so I should probably sell a bunch now.

I would say the Ecto-1 is just as appealing.  However, they have a second Ecto-1 now and will probably keep it out long for the new movie and Ghostbusters HQ.  I don't know if I would buy anymore of those.  I haven't found it on sale either.
    Amanda1983kiki180703
  • MrJ_NYMrJ_NY A flick missle away from Brickagara FallsMember Posts: 592
    Just got my Spring 2016 Lego catalog and the only modular not pictured is 10218 Pet Shop.I'm not sure how well this one will do after retirement,it's probably the most horded set next to Research Institute 21110
    Dougout said:
    Honestly, I thought the Delorean was one of the best sets I've ever built and I've built a lot of sets.  I thought it looks nice on display and is pretty accurate to the one in the movies.  I loaded up on that set.  It seems to have peaked in value though, so I should probably sell a bunch now.

I would say the Ecto-1 is just as appealing.  However, they have a second Ecto-1 now and will probably keep it out long for the new movie and Ghostbusters HQ.  I don't know if I would buy anymore of those.  I haven't found it on sale either.
    I would theorize that the original Ecto 1 goes before the new Ecto one comes out, or at least stops production before they release the new Ecto-1. However, that is just a guess based on not being sure if they want two ecto-1's out at the same time, especially if they are trying to capitalize off of the new movie.
    ^That is probably true.  I like the appearance of the original a lot better, but do you think it will really be valued more?
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,144
    I also think the original Ecto-1 will be better suited for the GBHQ no?
    Mordoor
    Dougout said:
    I agree with @CCC, the Delorean as a build and display set is quite a flop.  It's Lego clumsy.  I'd like to see a Lego designed Delorean.
  • juggles7juggles7 United StatesMember Posts: 452
    Just received an email from [email protected] saying someone has changed my password there. But I didn't change it. There's no payment info stored there, so I'm not too worried, but I'll call them in the morning. Do you think their site has been hacked? I had a very strong password and no one else knew it.
    SumoLego said:
    Dougout said:
    I agree with @CCC, the Delorean as a build and display set is quite a flop.  It's Lego clumsy.  I'd like to see a Lego designed Delorean.
    That's funny, the Delorean was one of the only sets where once I built it I knew I was going to load up on.  I thought the build was brilliant, lots of nifty ways of putting bricks together.  It also looks very close to the one from the movies. 

1.)  The doors open up just like in the movies
    2.)  It has the thrusters in the back
    3.)  It's shape is very similar to that in the movies
    4.)  It has the reactor cylinder in the back and the gadgets on the front hood
    5.)  The wheels can go from drive-mode to fly-mode very easily
    6.)  You can even display it so it looks like it's flying

The minifigs are fairly accurate as well.  Really doubt Lego could do any better, especially for $35.  Maybe I'm just one of those guys that will opt towards themes that haven't been done a millions times over like SW.  I couldn't even get through 5% of the last AT-AT and that was my first one.
    Dougout said:
    ^That is probably true.  I like the appearance of the original a lot better, but do you think it will really be valued more?
    I think people will always have a soft spot for the original Ecto-1, especially if the reboot crashes and burns, or it retires before the reboot is released as I think many are waiting for it to go on sale, but I do not believe it really has been discounted anywhere.