Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

The SD 10030 owners

landolando Member Posts: 108
edited February 2016 in Collecting
apologise if this is not the correct thread... I'm in two minds to part with my 10030. I did think on getting some sort of display I could put it in keep hands off it.. If you own this how have you displayed yours ? Or just sell and buy other sets I have my eye on ? 

Comments

• OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 672
    This one is a large set that does not easily fit on a standard bookshelf (although it can be done with some creative positioning).  I think when I displayed mine, I kept it on my custom display shelf that was designed for action figure dioramas, so there was plenty of room for it without anything sticking way out over the edge (wish I still had that shelving unit...).  If I ever rebuild mine, I would want some type of table or glass box of some sort to display at ground level and/or keep the dust out; if I remember correctly, the magnets holding the panels onto the frame were not the most stable of connections, and this model didn't like to be touched very much.

Whether you sell your unit due to lack of display space is a personal question and completely up to you.  I just boxed mine back up and will keep it until I decide to display it again.
  • davee123davee123 USAMember Posts: 814
    I kept mine together for ... perhaps 6 months or so, until someone posted a warning.  They had disassembled their ISD, and noticed that the beams had bent slightly. Not sure if this image is of an actual example of this, but it gives the idea:

I took mine apart immediately, and did notice an ever-so-slight bend (not as severe as the one pictured).  I haven't put it together since!

I seem to recall that LEGO commented on this at one point, admitting that the Technic frame wasn't tested for its long-term effects, and had some issues, but I can't find the thread anywhere that I seem to remember (probably on Ye Olde LUGNETe).

DaveE
  • emilewskiemilewski CT, USAMember Posts: 476
    I can confirm the technic warping; I got a used one that had been assembled for years. It went back together fine though. 
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,578
    ^ And I thought I was out of room.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,270
    ^ That is only one side of that room.  I have lego everywhere and still probably only have 40% of my collection built or on display.  I really need to get to work on finishing my basement.
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,578
    ^ Me too.
  • landolando Member Posts: 108
    graphite said:
    I bought mine used as well. I didn't notice any warping but wasn't really looking for it.  Here is mine on display in my very jam packed area.  Sitting on 7 2'x2' Ikea $10 tables. 

graphite said:
    I bought mine used as well. I didn't notice any warping but wasn't really looking for it.  Here is mine on display in my very jam packed area.  Sitting on 7 2'x2' Ikea $10 tables. 

That is a great collection wow !! The lDS does look huge .. And that at-st in mint !! You build that yourself it's brilliant
    Yes I will have a little think before I do anything I might regret my ISD is still mint in the box so I was just thinking about selling and buying a few more Lego sets but may just keep it and build it when I get the room 
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    edited February 2016
    I have a bar in my basement which I use to display my UCS sets.  That's where I have the ISD displayed. As that image indicates above it takes up a ton of space.  As for placing it in a display, that can be very expensive if that is a route you wish to take. On the same bar I have the 10179 Falcon displayed and I had purchased a custom made acrylic display so that I wouldn't have to dust that behemoth.  With shipping it cost me about $350-$400 (It had to be shipped via freight mail due to size. It's quite interesting seeing a semi truck park in a quiet suburban street).  It's a wonderful option though.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^Can we please see pics of the Falcon in case? I've always wondered about it since you first got it a while back.
    lando said:
    That is a great collection wow !! The lDS does look huge .. And that at-st in mint !! You build that yourself it's brilliant
    The ISD actually looks smaller than it is in that picture since it is furthest away and the wide angle of the lens distorts it.  When you stand there you can really see how big it is.  
    Did you mean the AT-AT? (the big one)  That was designed by @cavegod.  The AT-ST is the UCS one #10174.
    graphite said:
    lando said:
    The ISD actually looks smaller than it is in that picture since it is furthest away and the wide angle of the lens distorts it.  When you stand there you can really see how big it is.  
    Did you mean the AT-AT? (the big one)  That was designed by @cavegod.  The AT-ST is the UCS one #10174.
    The ISD must be some size then I've built the falcon ucs and I thought that was big .. Yes the huge at-st that looks amazing 
    lando said:
    The ISD must be some size then I've built the falcon ucs and I thought that was big .. Yes the huge at-st that looks amazing 
    I'm a star wars fan so have to be picky, the big one is the AT-AT (not ST).  And if I remember correctly the ISD is ~40 inches in length.
    ^Can we please see pics of the Falcon in case? I've always wondered about it since you first got it a while back.
    Sorry just saw this post now. Sure, I'll take a couple pictures this weekend. The lighting in my basement isn't the greatest but I'll give it a shot (pun intended!) :)
    BrickDancerkiki180703
    ^ as long as you shoot first its all good.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 14,064
    edited February 2016
    ^ That's the bees' knees.  

Is that a MOC'd Sopwith Camel?  Love the white wheel covers.

(Keyboard photobomb!)
    SumoLego said:
    Is that a MOC'd Sopwith Camel?  Love the white wheel covers.

Looks like it is #10226

graphite said:
    Looks like it is #10226
    Maybe it's just the lighting, but the wings don't look green to me.
    Hi @SumoLego, thanks! That is indeed the 10226 Sopwith Camel.  The lighting in my basement isn't the greatest which is why they may not appear dark green.
    SumoLegokiki180703
    I've got both versions (haven't built the newer one), but found the older version extremely brittle. 
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    The case looks great for the Falcon @Renny. That's inspiration for when I get around to mine and figuring how to case it. 

The Reach team look good too ;)
    SumoLegokiki180703
    I was thinking of utilizing the new UCS Hoth set to make a MOC of the hangar.

But what would I do with 53 Wampas?

And I still wouldn't have enough pieces to house the Falcon...
    gmonkey76kiki180703
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,672
    ^ was thinking of getting one of those octagonal fish tank coffee tables and making a docking bay 94 for mine. 
    I've been trying to engineer a Vikings display model into a coffee table.  Problem is the mast of the ship is too tall.
    catwrangler
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,890
    That would look amazing, @SumoLego! I'd be torn between how cool it would look and the prospect of not having it to play/MOC with, but I can't think of a better talking point for your living room. Well, maybe a castle...