Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Quality issues / broken parts

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,911
    It shows they are not play tested properly.

I see it more in my kids' models than mine, and they are quite careful with their lego too. It may well be that they build and rebuild a lot more than me, so attach and take them off again. Yet others have shown the fault on models that have been built once and never taken apart. I have models that have only been assembled once and never taken apart which have cracked cheese slopes. So presumably it is not just the act of taking them off that does it.

I've all but given up using them in MOCs now. If it can be done using a different part, I'll use a part less likely to crack.
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 993
    Having fully inventoried and inspected my 70-80's stuff I believe the term consistently CAN be used with 1 notable exception - 1x1 with clip - HOWEVER - I also note this only applies to one type (the original thin walled clip which WAS reinforced in the eighties.  As I keep my collections seperate by time period I can also add a few 'quirks' Ive noted;
    1. Transparent pieces scratch MUCH more easily then they used to (and for some weird reason seem harder to polish out)
    2. Today's minifigs are just crap compared to eighties stuff - I've got figs that received MASSIVE amounts of play in the eighties that are in better shape than ANYTHING from this century (that only have received light play).
    3. The amount of times where I have an 'exotic' connection that just doesn't have quite enough clutch can be improved DRASTICALLY by using the same part manufactured in the eighties.
    4. Though I've no SOLID evidence I also believe that older bricks, despite being more brittle, have a considerably higher breaking point than today's bricks (which bend THEN snap).
    just my observations 
    madforLEGOoldtodd33kiki180703Amanda1983
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,555
    Brew said:
    I wanted to re-post these just to freak everyone out...

that's weird, those headlight bricks didn't break in the weakest spot?
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    edited February 2016
    ^ if the piece was manufactured correctly then yes, the weakest spot would not be on the side. But if there was a manufacturing fault then it could be anywhere. With that picture though I think there must be something environmental going on to have so many pieces crack, including what I presume are just plates.

With cheese slopes I still think the most likely cause is people hinging them over the stud, with the crack forming opposite the hinged side as the distance across the stud in that case is marginally greater than the diameter. That would give rise to cracks forming on any side of the cheese depending on how its used.
    Amanda1983
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,757
    I wonder if part of the cheese issue is people snapping them down over the stud at an angle rather than vertically straight down over the stud. Its still a quality issue but even the cheese slope cracks (which appear to be the most common) do seem to effect certain individuals more than others. Could equally be heat, humidity etc, but the user might be important too.
    I think there may be something to that. I never have that problem, but others seem to consistently.
    ^ if the piece was manufactured correctly then yes, the weakest spot would not be on the side. But if there was a manufacturing fault then it could be anywhere. With that picture though I think there must be something environmental going on to have so many pieces crack, including what I presume are just plates.

With cheese slopes I still think the most likely cause is people hinging them over the stud, with the crack forming opposite the hinged side as the distance across the stud in that case is marginally greater than the diameter. That would give rise to cracks forming on any side of the cheese depending on how its used.
    Which should get picked up in play testing, looking at how real people play with the parts and not just by designers that assume everyone attaches parts in the way they are designed to be attached.

What about getting them off again? You have to essentially lever then up unless there is nothing surrounding the part and you can lift it off directly.
    Amanda1983
    ^ Play testing never caught any of the joint issues... It's not as rigorous as you think.
    Amanda1983
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,890
    How much do we actually know about TLG's play-testing process, or is it a closely guarded secret? 
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    edited February 2016
    ^Someone wrote about it once, but their writing was too accurate and had to be removed.

But seriously, I suggested it might be human error before - it was correctly pointed out that the same people have been applying the same part in the same way for years and only recently experienced the problem, which kind of reduces the possibility of human factors being the issue here.  I do find these clusters of broken bricks interesting though.  Makes me wonder if an error on one part can result in several breaking in a kind of domino effect.  Otherwise it's just weird.
    SumoLegokiki180703catwranglerAmanda1983
  • CupIsHalfEmptyCupIsHalfEmpty CanadaMember Posts: 547
    Throwing out a hypothetical question. What's a reasonable expectation of Warranty for cracked bricks? I know Lego customer service will replace a cracked brick if I put in a request. But at how long is it still reasonable to expect a brick to last? When is it worn out vs manufacturer defect?
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,219
    edited February 2016
    I, and others (I'm sure), have only seen a handful of cracked LEGO brick from the 70-90's, and this is with rampant teeth marks and various 'rough play', whereas I keep hearing about folks having cracks develop after 3-6 months of display.

Regarding displaying causing such issues, I would think displaying is less stress on the parts, as they are not constantly removed and re-added to different pieces, and maybe off center and such.

As for the whole 'you are doing it wrong' argument for building causing issues.. It is LEGO, one would think that putting a piece onto another piece should not require an instruction manual, or special way to do it IMO.

Throwing out a hypothetical question. What's a reasonable expectation of Warranty for cracked bricks? I know Lego customer service will replace a cracked brick if I put in a request. But at how long is it still reasonable to expect a brick to last? When is it worn out vs manufacturer defect?
    I'm guessing as long as they have the piece in stock they can replace it or provide a reasonable facsimile if the piece is no longer made. I think they more concentrate on folks that may abuse the system.

Amanda1983
  • mustang69mustang69 North CarolinaMember Posts: 539
    I guess I'll ask this here since it's related,

Will TLG replace broken pieces from older sets? If the answer is no then the next question is how new does the set need to be? Still available?  If the answer is yes then what about if you are not the original owner, if you buy a used set and there is a broken piece will they replace it?
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,318
    With cheese slopes & some of the other parts cracking, I think that local weather must be a factor, as I haven't experienced any of these so far, nor has anyone else I know that lives in Adelaide. It's not like we assemble all of our sets & that's it, all the sets I have bought for MOC parts were built then disassembled & used at least a few times since, for various builds & testing ideas...
    xiahna
  • CupIsHalfEmptyCupIsHalfEmpty CanadaMember Posts: 547
    So is it essentially lifetime warranty, until it's no longer available? 

Or is there no warranty and Lego just replaces bricks based on "Good Will" and can do whatever they want for each situation?
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,286
    Having fully inventoried and inspected my 70-80's stuff I believe the term consistently CAN be used with 1 notable exception - 1x1 with clip - HOWEVER - I also note this only applies to one type (the original thin walled clip which WAS reinforced in the eighties.  As I keep my collections seperate by time period I can also add a few 'quirks' Ive noted;
    1. Transparent pieces scratch MUCH more easily then they used to (and for some weird reason seem harder to polish out)
    2. Today's minifigs are just crap compared to eighties stuff - I've got figs that received MASSIVE amounts of play in the eighties that are in better shape than ANYTHING from this century (that only have received light play).
    3. The amount of times where I have an 'exotic' connection that just doesn't have quite enough clutch can be improved DRASTICALLY by using the same part manufactured in the eighties.
    4. Though I've no SOLID evidence I also believe that older bricks, despite being more brittle, have a considerably higher breaking point than today's bricks (which bend THEN snap).
    just my observations 
    I have over 100K old parts that pretty much confirm all your assessments.  Spot on.
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRAAmanda1983mafon
    Well I just had my first issue with broken bricks. I was rebuilding my #40139 Gingerbread House and noticed that 9 of the 1x1 medium nougat bricks were cracked as well as one of the 1x1 w/ knob dark orange bricks. I just put in the request for the replacements so we'll see how long it takes to get them.
  • Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
    ^going to check mine now
  • Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
    Mine look like there might be some small cracks starting in the 1x1s like yours. But I think I'll wait to see. It looks like some of the bricks have micro cracks in the bottom of the bricks. These are small vertical lines I can see under good lighting or magnification. 
    Mine look like there might be some small cracks starting in the 1x1s like yours. But I think I'll wait to see. It looks like some of the bricks have micro cracks in the bottom of the bricks. These are small vertical lines I can see under good lighting or magnification. 
    I noticed that on a few of the other 1x1s as well but since they werent full on cracks I decided to wait to see what happens with those. Hopefully they dont get worse.
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,890
    just my observations 
    I was just wondering about transparent elements. I had to clean out a box of Lego which batteries had leaked into years ago - the residue had dried out, both on some bricks and at the bottom of the container, before the problem was discovered. And the thing I noticed was that it seemed to have clung to transparent elements more than to others, and to be more difficult to remove. These were pieces dating from around 1998/99, and varied from radar dishes to 1x1.5 (is that the right way to refer to these?) slope bricks.
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    Transparent elements are made from polycarbonate rather than ABS.
    catwranglerSumoLegokiki180703Amanda1983
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,442
    What do many of you do with the cracked elements?
    Recycle them (throw them in the recycling bin)?
    Give them to Lego (store) to melt down (if they do that)?
    Amanda1983
  • Pumpkin_3CK5Pumpkin_3CK5 CaliforniaMember Posts: 800
    @77ncaachamps It would be great if LEGO had a program for taking in damaged/old bricks and recycling them into new ones.
    Amanda1983
  • willobee498willobee498 CanadalandMember Posts: 349
    I recycle mine. And shipping back to Lego would probably take more resources than are saved.
    SumoLegoAmanda1983
    ^ Given it costs LEGO a very small percentage of a cent to manufacture a 2x4, I would say that far more resources would be wasted than saved. Just recycle them in whatever category your local center takes them as.
    Amanda1983
    Recycle them yourself ... Into Lego paint. Dissolve them in a minute amount of acetone (much less than you think) and you have ABS paint. They dry almost true to Lego colours too, so long as you don't over dilute.
    77ncaachampscatwranglerricecakeAmanda1983
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,442
    CCC said:
    Recycle them yourself ... Into Lego paint. Dissolve them in a minute amount of acetone (much less than you think) and you have ABS paint. They dry almost true to Lego colours too, so long as you don't over dilute.
    Interested to see some examples of this.
    Amanda1983
    I haven't got any photos with me, but I used it to paint fleshie elf ears on the S3 elf hairpiece. It works fine for parts like that. Not so good on regular bricks though.
  • mcdpyromcdpyro USAMember Posts: 4
    Most common cracking I have encountered is with yellow parts including some yellow technic. It is really disappointing to have a set on display not in the sunlight or exposed to heating or cooling temperature changes and parts still crack. I'm really concerned is my families moc project we started gonna survive the years of build time we plan to put into it.

Amanda1983
    ^ What is the humidity of your house?
    Don't have a direct number for humidity, its not moist or hot and dry. Midwest location so weather mild air conditions on when warm. House set for 73 degree year round.

KiltyONeal
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,318
    ^ Odd, still haven't come across any cracked parts on sets we've bought since coming out my dark ages (any cracked parts on my old sets are due to mishandling by others), no climate control, temperature varies from 3°C (37°F) to 48°C (118°F), humidity I can't give a real figure on, but it does go up & down a bit through the year.
    xiahna
  • jediami65jediami65 United StatesMember Posts: 474
    Just finishing building the Death Star #10188 but my sticker sheet came crumpled up, a good part of the stickers were partially off the sheet. I looked in customer service Bricks & Pieces but can't find the sticker sheet? Does TLG replace bad sticker sheets?

In the pictures you can see that the worse of the stickers are already peeling off and I suspect the rest will start soon.

Also why in all that is Lego would they just put the sticker sheet lose in a bag with no backing to keep in in tact? It should at least be in between pages of the instructions book, for a $400 set that's not what I was expecting.

• BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    The practice of bagging and boarding of stickers didn't really take off until late 2012-2013 time frame. Plus the Deathstar stickers fall in the nether era of being improved in paper type but very soft on adhesive that usually results in curling and lifting.
    edited February 2016
    @BrickDancer so are you saying this is expected on this set? Will TLG replace does anyone know?
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    Yes this is all expected I'm afraid. As you aren't the first to complain on Brickset about the crumpled sticker sheet for #10188, so you're not alone there.

It's worth a shot to call CS and explain the situation. At first they may reject you outright based on it being a licensed set. But be persistent and say you can provide pics or are willing to send back the affected stickers. They will ask for the serial number on the instruction books to confirm you do indeed own it.

I had a similar situation for AT-OT Dropship and needing a replacement sticker sheet. At first they denied me, but by the end of the call about other problems or issues, I brought it up again and by then they realized I was legit so sent a new sheet after all.
    madforLEGOAmanda1983
    Thanks @BrickDancer I will calls CS and see what happens. Very disappointing though for a set at that price that they were so careless with the sticker sheet. 

I wonder for those that own the MF #10179 if they had the same issue.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 14,354
    jediami65 said:
    I wonder for those that own the MF #10179 if they had the same issue.
    There's a sticker sheet?  Now I'm definitely not opening the set.
    VorpalRyuOldfanAmanda1983sid3windr
  • nerzhinnerzhin MIMember Posts: 22
    I am very concerned about the quality of Lego right now. They have positioned themselves as a high quality toy, but the cracking bricks thing is out of control. I bought my son the Nexo Fortrex and the Nexo Beast Chariot several weeks ago, and the printed tiles in both magic book pieces have already cracked. They are not available as replacement parts on the Lego site, either. All of my minifigures from 75132 have torso cracks and I just purchased that in January. I have many more sets that are riddled with cracks. I have noticed that the collectible minifigures, with their comparatively cheaper feeling plastic, do not seem to crack. And that the printing quickly wears off of the softer rubber parts (like Clone Wars Yoda's hair). Its very frustrating given how expensive Lego is.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,219
    I think people need to flood CS with calls and report these issues, also bring it up at conventions where bigwigs from LEGO are attending, and ensure you make mention of the cost and if you will be buying less due to these issues, that may wake someone up finally.
    catwranglernerzhinAmanda1983kiki180703
    The best I've been able to do so far is just religiously request replacement parts. I have had to replace almost entire Mixels because everything cracked. Those ball joint clips break off as well. I have been buying my dad the winter village sets each year, but I don't want to bother anymore because all the bricks in the house models show signs of cracking. I have to get replacement torsos for every super hero set I have purchased going back to the Penguin sub. EVERY minifigure of the Penguin from that set that I have seen has cracks going up the torso. I live in Michigan and have both display and play models kept in different climates and parts of houses, and the cracking continues. It IS a manufacturing/quality control issue I believe
    Amanda1983kiki180703
    I find all of these cracking parts a little hard to believe is the fault of  LEGO - based on my (however limited) research, this seems to be a "by-house" problem. I have literally never had a single brick (that didn't have structural issues, like Bionicle joint, or the strange case of the horrible promo Harry Potter bricks from TRU) crack.

Neither have any of the dozens of job lots I have bought (sure they damaged some bricks, but nothing like the rampant cracking I am seeing here), except for one. The sets from this house all had cracked parts, even though they were only built and displayed, not played roughly with like others.
    MattsWhatkiki180703cheshirecat
  • flordflord CanadaMember Posts: 793
    The only cracking I have seen in my own Lego were cracks in the side of torsos like the picture above. I always assumed it was my children who were being too rough. I'm not so sure.
    nerzhinkiki180703
    I've had that happen on a brand new torso 
    nerzhinkiki180703
    Haven't seen a cracked minifig before like that. Now I'm really worried and PARANOID  about our beloved Hobbit collection of dwarves (Thorin Oakshields company)
    nerzhin said:
    I am very concerned about the quality of Lego right now. They have positioned themselves as a high quality toy, but the cracking bricks thing is out of control. I bought my son the Nexo Fortrex and the Nexo Beast Chariot several weeks ago, and the printed tiles in both magic book pieces have already cracked. They are not available as replacement parts on the Lego site, either.
    I imagine they will appear as time goes on. They are always slow to update when a set is just released.
    nerzhin said:
    All of my minifigures from 75132 have torso cracks and I just purchased that in January. I have many more sets that are riddled with cracks. I have noticed that the collectible minifigures, with their comparatively cheaper feeling plastic, do not seem to crack.
    By cheaper feeling, it seems you mean better quality. If they don't crack.
    Amanda1983kiki180703
    I find all of these cracking parts a little hard to believe is the fault of  LEGO - based on my (however limited) research, this seems to be a "by-house" problem. I have literally never had a single brick (that didn't have structural issues, like Bionicle joint, or the strange case of the horrible promo Harry Potter bricks from TRU) crack.

Neither have any of the dozens of job lots I have bought (sure they damaged some bricks, but nothing like the rampant cracking I am seeing here), except for one. The sets from this house all had cracked parts, even though they were only built and displayed, not played roughly with like others.

I started out thinking that as well. But once I started looking, I started noticing it more and more. My nephews have a giant Lego Star Wars collection (different house, different city) and I noticed many cracks in theirs. I have been buying and selling Lego on Ebay and Craigslist for close to 8 years now, and I have seen cracks in many, many other peoples Lego as well. This includes auctions bought from other states. Though at this time it cannot be proven to be Lego the company at fault, it is beyond proven to me that it is not just a "one house" problem.
    CCC said:
    nerzhin said:
    I am very concerned about the quality of Lego right now. They have positioned themselves as a high quality toy, but the cracking bricks thing is out of control. I bought my son the Nexo Fortrex and the Nexo Beast Chariot several weeks ago, and the printed tiles in both magic book pieces have already cracked. They are not available as replacement parts on the Lego site, either.
    I imagine they will appear as time goes on. They are always slow to update when a set is just released.
    Yep I figured. I tried to describe the parts since there was no number for them, but they sent me a nexo knight chicken shield instead. I will say, as long as you have still your instruction booklet and your set is still being made, the Lego company has been fantastic about sending replacements hassle free.They replaced almost the entirety of my dad's Cat and Mouse Creator set. Though that raises the issue of why are they having to replace so many parts in the first place?
    CCC said:
    nerzhin said:
    All of my minifigures from 75132 have torso cracks and I just purchased that in January. I have many more sets that are riddled with cracks. I have noticed that the collectible minifigures, with their comparatively cheaper feeling plastic, do not seem to crack.
    By cheaper feeling, it seems you mean better quality. If they don't crack.
    Yeah that could end up being the paradox there. The heavier, more solid feeling plastic and stronger colors could prove to be an indicator of more fragile Lego plastic. But I would love to hear what thousands of other Lego collectors would have to say about their own observations. I wonder if there is a site just collecting info on the topic? Or if a company like Pley sees a ton of cracked parts...