Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Question on a MOC Build i like to Do. (Modular Buildings "The Lego Store")

ok a little back Ground Before i ask the question.
i have set 60097 (one of my half Christmas present Half my own Money Buy's Made before Christmas, some of my Family are ok with saying you have X Money to Spend, what Would you like. it was 30% off at Amazon, so a good buy.)
anyhow i Love the little Lego Store Build in set 60097, and wish to do a MOC build and turn that little build into a "Modular Building Lego Store".
So. in an ideal world, i would pop off to my local Lego Store, and Buy from the Pick a Brick wall the parts i need. this is not a option for me as with no Car all of the Lego Stores are out of range of my home.

So, here is my Question,
What Modular Buildings Set Still Sold at Lego [email protected]home. Would you use to MOC up a "Modular Building Lego Store"
it dose not have to be a Modular Buildings Set, but it dose have to be Around it RRP, so no picking a set that is no longer  made and is 2X or 3x the RRP when it was sold at Lego [email protected]

(ps if this is not the right place to ask this question Mod's sorry i made the best Guess as to ware was)

Comments

• arathemisarathemis sometimes here, sometimes thereMember Posts: 405
    Use petshop. easily moc-able.
  • chrisalddinchrisalddin UKMember Posts: 3,022
    arathemis said:
    Use petshop. easily moc-able.
    that one of the ones i thinking about,
    ok.
    here are the ideas i have at this time,
    1 i use pat shop, 
    2, i use  Detective's Office,

both will need a fear bit of reworking, as lego do not skimp on there stores,
    lego stores have a theme, to pull it off i will need to rebuild the face of both set's

i am also limited on wight and yellow bricks, a Key part in making a lego store moc.

i have also been thinking of how to chagen the PETS on the petshop Build to
    LEGO.

and it was not untell i type lego in cap's that i can now see a way to do the G.
    that was what i was stuck on, this type of G will work. now i just have to wrok out how to build it in that little space.

hmmm what to do,
    all idea's on this are welcome 
  • tallblocktootallblocktoo CanadaMember Posts: 497
    I know little about MOC building but there was a fair bit of yellow in the Kwik-E-Mart.  Not sure if that would help and wether the value on purchase would be there.  How about Brick Link?  Seems many people that MOC go that route.  
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,367
    Yeah, i would go with bricklink over trying to convert an existing modular.
    madforLEGO
    sounds grate untell you find that for samll brick like white 2x2 tile, you end up paying 7p each when it is 6p in pick a brick (online)
    for small brick it look about the same. give or tack 1p

now if i could get to a pick a Brick wall. that would work.
    only it cost me £30 just to make the trip to a lego store.

• mr.pigglesmr.piggles Snow FortMember Posts: 326
    I think in order to spend that kind of money just to travel to the store, you'd need to be really, really certain that what you need is on the wall. Could be disappointing; I know wall sizes vary, but the supply at my store had pretty much nothing I've ever used in a modular MOC or ever would.
    BumblepantsmadforLEGO
    I think in order to spend that kind of money just to travel to the store, you'd need to be really, really certain that what you need is on the wall. Could be disappointing; I know wall sizes vary, but the supply at my store had pretty much nothing I've ever used in a modular MOC or ever would.

o i know.
    there no why i pay that just to travel,
    when you can order online,
    what i will most lucky do is add small 6p brick to my next lego [email protected] order.
    well i did some think cool.
    i made the PETS on the pet shop i own, read LEGO

my not sound like a lot,
    but i not worked like this before in lego, and i had to rap my head around the new way of building "with out a guide to tell me how"

still i got it now. next is to work on the inside,
    my best bet is to work in any color i own and and after i work it out order the part's i need in the right color.
    ok
    update, time.
    i done a Moc build with pet shop using some parts from the lego store model in 60097,
    i then when i was happy made a copy in the LDD, and then played a round with colors until i was happy, i then removed any parts i already have, and made a html build guide, and used the last pages to get a parts list that i would need to get my hands on to build the mod.

it is £14.56 in all for 132 bricks,
    some of the bricks are big, need 20x "1x6 brick white." 31x "1x4 brick white" and 1 (6x8 plate white) for the pick a brick wall part of the moc.
    it all soon adds up. the 3 i just listed take up half of the overall cost.

now comes the sukey part, it will be April before i can find the money to buy parts,
    as i wish to get sets that are at risk of retiring from the lego shop first.

if any one wish's to see the finish MOC when it is all done Post a reply here, with luck i will remember and post some images. 

as i have worked out how to post pic's on here i will post a pick of what i have Done with this model,

Please tell me what you think and ware it can be made better,
    if there a better color i can use on the sign?
    would a yellow border with white letter and red highlights look better?
    like this

NOTE:
    this is a BETA build, and it is not finished. Missing brick and or wrong color's ahead.

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

Pic 5

Pic 6

please tell me what you think of this moc build.
    thanks.

update on this MOC,
    thanks to the CS Rep on the phone i have more Lego Logo stickers.
    this has let me play a bit more with what i can do with the build.
    i have worked out a way to use one of the Lego Logo stickers in the build.

i now have a full part's list that i will need to buy to finish this MOC.
    now all i have to do is wait for Bricks and Pieces to come back online.
    with luck it will not be to long now. 

when it is done i will show it off here and on the "what i am building" post.
  • brumeybrumey AustriaMember Posts: 1,002
    edited February 2016
    gawd. chris. really digging your profile picture! it had to be said!

the build is cool. + pab wall^^ + printed lego box tiles
    i would overdo the back section!
    brumey said:
    gawd. chris. really digging your profile picture! it had to be said!

the build is cool. + pab wall^^ + printed lego box tiles
    i would overdo the back section!
    don't think that pick a Brick wall is OTT do you?
    and i thinking of ordering some more of the Printed Lego Box Tiles but at 25p each i dont know if i should or not.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    Now, don't freak out, but here's some constructive criticism :

First off, LEGO should ALWAYS be in white letters on a red background no? LEGO in blue just looks wrong, but that's me. I also used the Pet Shop for an MOC, but I removed the letters and replaced them with clear wall panels. I would ditch the sign and make a small sign for the front of the window or somewhere else perpendicular to the facade.

I changed my Pet Shop into a Barbershop with 2 stations. I did this years before the Detective's Office came out. While it works for a Barbershop (most shops are very small) I don't think it works for a LEGO Store. It is much too crowded in there. Of course, this is what I would do :)

Here's a pic of what I did with mine:
    Pitfall69 said:
    Now, don't freak out, but here's some constructive criticism :

First off, LEGO should ALWAYS be in white letters on a red background no? LEGO in blue just looks wrong, but that's me. I also used the Pet Shop for an MOC, but I removed the letters and replaced them with clear wall panels. I would ditch the sign and make a small sign for the front of the window or somewhere else perpendicular to the facade.

I changed my Pet Shop into a Barbershop with 2 stations. I did this years before the Detective's Office came out. While it works for a Barbershop (most shops are very small) I don't think it works for a LEGO Store. It is much too crowded in there. Of course, this is what I would do :)

Here's a pic of what I did with mine:
    one day i may Moc the Detective's Office. in to a lego shop.
    i am not going to let slip my plan.
    i have a plan however.
    and a minifig can move around the store "just about."
    will it be cramped? yes. but i am happy with it.
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    Indeed, the pets logo works for a pet shop, I used it for a chip shop, but it doesnt really work for Lego.  A quick google image of lego shop suggests full height glass with a lego logo stickered brick sort of floating in the current lettering position would look better (and look good with the red brick you already placed.  Also with more clear at the front you would be able to see more of the work you have done inside.
    I don't think the size matters, maybe they are bigger in real life, but so are pet shops generally, so I think you're good.
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 819
    ^You heard it here first folks...size doesn't matter.

mr.piggleskiki180703
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,472
    edited February 2016
    Sethro3 said:
    ^You heard it here first folks...size doesn't matter

Removed pointless comment
  • ethanjwallethanjwall United StatesMember Posts: 118
    @chrisalddin: looks great! I really, really like the boxes of Legos in the store and the Pick-a-Brick station! Can you tell me where you got the lego boxes? Thanks!
    @chrisalddin: looks great! I really, really like the boxes of Legos in the store and the Pick-a-Brick station! Can you tell me where you got the lego boxes? Thanks!
    the 1x2 and 2x2 tiles printed lego box's can be found in set #60097, and can also be found on lego Bricks and Pieces looking up set #60097, to get to Lego Bricks and Pieces  go to Customer Service page from the Lego [email protected] webpage.
    i hope this helps.
  • mr.pigglesmr.piggles Snow FortMember Posts: 326
    Much improved exterior! It looks pretty good, I like the detailing inside and the additional yellow detailing on the exterior (plus the sign, that was much needed) really sells it now as being a Lego store. And the guy inside even looks like the guy who works at my local shop.
  • legomentallegomental UkMember Posts: 346
    That's neat love the pick a brick wall and the lego boxes for sale