Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Can someone help me connect 2 x Brick W. Inside Bow 1X6X2 tube to tube

princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
Hi,
I want to make a window that is circular using 2 x Brick W. Inside Bow 1X6X2 base to base with nothing between the 2, happy to surround the pieces around the top, bottom, left and right and even to the back.
Everything I have tried so far leaves a plate gap between the two.

I'm sure there are much more experienced builders here who could suggest a solution,
It would be appreciated.

Comments

• princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    Like this:

• oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,525
    If you don't mind, you could cut a piece of any material that fits snugly in the bottom of the arches the length of the two pieces and then push them together.

Either that or super glue.  
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,035
    Use a small axle. They are perfect for this application and won't leave a gap: http://brickset.com/parts/design-32062
    oldtodd33
    @akunthita thanks for the idea, but the axle just slides straight into the tube, no resistance at all..
    @akunthita thanks for the idea, but the axle just slides straight into the tube, no resistance at all..
    Hm... I just checked that. It appears that there is more than one kind of arch-mould. I have tried several 1x6 arches and on some of them the axle is super snug, and in others loose. It seems like the older arches are looser while the new ones tight, but I'm not sure about this. If you have more than those two arches you can try different ones. Also, you can try longer axles. For the 1x6 arches you can fit axles up to 4L long. We may just have discovered another mould variation! :D
    Just found that there is a part: 6052784 which is almost the same, and the axle sticks in that, but it has slightly different internal dimensions so I can't use that part.
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    edited February 2016
    You could always just attach a 1x1 with vertical clip on each end and then use a 6l bar between the clips.  Most techniques will run into issues with the 4 brick height and mean you end up with a selection of random pieces sticking out the ends.
    What's wrong with using an axle (loose or otherwise) if the the pieces are kept trapped in by the build anyway? (which I assume they are as you don't mind what it looks like around it)  Whack a couple of tiles on and just slot it on in there!
    A variation of what you suggested looks like it would work ok:

A variation of what you suggested looks like it would work ok:

Oh, I like that! Great idea! :D
    edited February 2016
    Or, how about a 4l bar with four 1x1 round bricks slid on, two from each end (bottom to bottom) then a 1x8 across the top of each end.
    princedravenkiki180703
    ^ Like that idea too, will try that and see what it looks like.  Thanks guys, really appreciate the help.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,005
    If you have a solution that leaves them one plate apart, can you not just put a plate on the top of one of them. That will make them one plate closer and so fill the gap. Or am I misunderstanding the problem.
    Actually, it turns out that the gap is less than 1 plate, I think it is the size of a stud, maybe 1/2 a plate?
    It's 20% of a width I'm guessing (which is exactly 1/2 a plate).  I assume that you used snot and then a 5 long plate to bridge the gap.  But 4 bricks high is only 4.8 studs wide, giving you 0.2 widths gap in the middle of your two arches.
    You can make it a full plate using the 1x1 modified with the bar holder bit, or at least I think that is a full plate.  That is what they use in unexpected gathering to do this same thing.  It makes it less round though, compared to your solution.
    Another way of doing it is using parts that allow you to close up that 1/2 plate gap, things like a couple of those minifigure neck stud things (the name escapes me at the moment).
    Thinking it through though, if you used a 4l bar and then threaded two round 1x1 bricks on back to back, then two 1x1 cones then 1x2 plates at the top and bottom.  You could do this infront of the window and it would look quite swish with the right window ledge.  Or you could use a 4l bar two bottom to bottom 1x1 rounds/cones then another arch across to the other side to give it a kind of sunken window look.
    I made them both on LDD but had to mirror them in paint as it I couldn't get the bar trick to work without a faff. Here you go so you can see what I mean (although they look pants...)

princedravenkiki180703
    edited February 2016
    Inverse slopes also look nice:

I really need to focus on my own building more.  @Shib , this right here is why I haven't done anything with a shield yet this week.
    Shibkiki180703
    Or even put the structure on the inside with some added (slightly gross) curtains.

Anyway, that's enough time spent on that seeing as you already had a solution before I arrived, one to keep in the bank for future use.  Let me know what you go with in the end (plus final pictures of the build of course!)
    Will do and thanks again!!
    shame you couldn't work a shield in there :-p
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,263
    You can always use the various bracket pieces as well to invert things.  Depending on what you want to do around the window they can work out well for adding extra detail.

You can also turn them forward and use the studs facing out to add other things.

madforLEGOprincedravenkiki180703
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,263
    And to fit them in to regular wall just use tiles on the inverted studs at the bottom and tiles on top of whatever is facing up below them (so the smooth sides of two tiles are touching) and just support the whole assembly from the sides with the brackets.
    princedravensklambkiki180703