Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

71040 "Minifigures" D2C speculation

LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,531
Hi all,  

I know there's been random comments about this in various threads, but I thought I'd create a dedicated thread for discussing what this set might be.  

As a supposed D2C,  we should be looking at a reasonably large set. Some have said it's a Simpsons model of The Android's Dungeon comic shop but sources I consider to be reliable (just2good and CM4S)  appear to have nixed this idea.  

Possibly it could be related to the upcoming Disney collectable minifigs due out later in the year.  I discovered today that the Disneyland 60th anniversary celebrations are continuing until September 2016 so could it possibly be a set based on part of Disneyland? Various characters could be included as part of a parade or meet n greet area,  like the Simpsons House perhaps repeating some of the CMFs with minor variations and adding a few brand new characters. 

What do you think it will be? 
CM4Skiki180703Amanda1983

Comments

• Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693
    I think it's just an over-sized brick-built minifigure. 
    hewmanJern92
  • bricktuarybricktuary EuropeMember Posts: 470
    Simpsons I reckon.  

I can't see it being Disney as they'd surely have saved a big castle for it but they've done that now with Belle and Cinders.

I'd love it to be a big D2C Lego Movie set. 

Amanda1983
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,020
    Disney rumours have been about for a while.

It would be a but strange doing another Simpsons set so far after the last CMF series.
    SumoLegokiki180703Amanda1983
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,181
    ^ I agree - I think the Lego Simpsons has run its course.  And is there another Simpsons building that would fit into the Lego collection?

Moe's is out, the Comic Shop is a bit of a stretch... no nuclear power plant, and the school doesn't fit.  I just don't see it.

• gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,476
    For Simpsons I could see a Large Lad Donut Shop or a Krusty Burger if not the comic book shop.
    chuckp
    (I think we all really want a Moe's or a Powerplant...)
    gmonkey76GothamConstructionCokiki180703Adzbadboy
    ^ but we all know that's a LEGO no no
    SumoLego
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,946
    Weren't all previous Simpsons rumors outright Simpsons rumors? Why would they bother changing the naming to 'minifigures', especially in-house. My money is on something else. Simpsons House and Kwik E Mart will still sell fine, adding a third would be overkill.

Disney seems like the most likely option. Perhaps a Castle? That would really cool.
    SumoLegoAmanda1983
  • goshe7goshe7 Columbus, Ohio, USAMember Posts: 515
    I can't see it being Disney as they'd surely have saved a big castle for it but they've done that now with Belle and Cinders.

The castle from Sleeping Beauty, which is the inspiration for the signature castle at Disneyland, has not been made into a set yet.  That could be a good tie-in on the 60th anniversary.  

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a D2C of Cinderella's castle as it is the signature Disney castle.  LEGO has no problem making an impressive scale D2C version of a previously released set; off the top of my head, you can refer to the Tumbler, Brick Bank, and pretty much every UCS Star Wars.
    SumoLego77ncaachampsAmanda1983
  • AleyditaAleydita BelgiumMember Posts: 811
    Something along the line of a #3723 ?
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 1,302
    A giant Disneyworld Cinderella's Castle would be cool, with the Walt and Mickey statue in front with the mascot outfit figures.
    SumoLegodougtskiki180703Amanda1983
  • VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,493
    edited February 2016
    ^^ If the set were going to be a Disney Castle I doubt that TLG would call it a minifigure
    D2C.
    More likely is a huge brick built Mickey Mouse Figure.

tallblocktooAmanda1983
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,531
    ^ but that wouldn't be a minifigure either :-) 
    Amanda1983
    I'm almost positive it isn't... big playsets are better than giant statues.
    gmonkey76SumoLegoAmanda1983
  • dragon114dragon114 United StatesMember Posts: 632
    i fell like it going to be cmf style mifigure set
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,426
    Then maybe Lego is going to remake every minifigure from series 1-15 and put it in one set. So, that's 240 minfigures in the set and it will cost 959.00. Either that or it's a brick built minifigure that's 3 feet tall. 
  • bricktuarybricktuary EuropeMember Posts: 470
    But it might be codenamed as "minifigure" for now if the Disney CMF line is still secret?

Or maybe it's a giant Joachim Löw to tie in with the German Soccer team CMFs? :)
    Or maybe it's a soccer field to tie in with the German soccer team cmfs.
    Bumblepantskiki180703Amanda1983
  • sweetness34sweetness34 San Diego, CA.Member Posts: 326
    Disney mono rail would be good. 
    oldtodd33RonyarRainstorm26chuckpAdzbadboykiki180703Amanda1983
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,435
    Giant Mr Gold?
  • matticus_bricksmatticus_bricks Member Posts: 648
    ^^ Giant hot dog monorail with animal suit passengers. 

If it's being referred to as "D2C Minifigure" then it's probably a big brick-built minifigure, but it's "D2C Minifigures" then it has to be some kind of CMF tie-in... Maybe some kind of large display scene? I hope it's a Cinderella Castle though. 
    SumoLegokiki180703Amanda1983
  • Pumpkin_3CK5Pumpkin_3CK5 CaliforniaMember Posts: 768
    The Dog from Cloud Cuckoo Land. That can hold a lot of minifigs. 
    Amanda1983
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,261
    Thinking it could be a newer version of #3723.
    pharmjodkiki180703xiahna
  • Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
    The Dog from Cloud Cuckoo Land. That can hold a lot of minifigs. 
    Speaking of which, maybe we'll get a TLM submarine. 
    DaraghAmanda1983
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,957
    Maybe something like

850458-1: VIP Top 5 Boxed Minifigures

?
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,261
    @paul_merton that could work too. Thinking on it, your suggestion is probably more likely, I know I'd prefer it over a set like #3723.
    xiahnaAmanda1983
  • VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,493
    ^^ but then it would be coded 850... , and not 71040.
    Maybe it will be a disney parade style set, with more than 20 minifigures which are not in the Disney CMF series?
    Amanda1983
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    edited February 2016
    For everyone thinking it might be a giant brickbuilt minifigure, it has an 's' on the end of the set name, so that is pretty much ruled out isn't it?
    Related to the CMF line seems likely, in which case it will be a playset along the line of simpsons, no way they would make a UCS anything for Disney (traditional Disney like Mickey rather than modern Disney like Star Wars).  The audience for the CMF line (assuming rumours are right) is squarely aimed at children with only a touch of nostalgia thrown in, so seeing a UCS set purely for adults just wouldn't make sense.
    My money is on the Disney castle, but for the sake of being different I think it will be a 96x48 mosaic of the Disney logo.
    Amanda1983
    Were the Simpsons buildings 'coded' in the same manner before their official releases?

It also could have nothing to do with minifigures at all, and be a misleading placeholder.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^I kinda wanna say that they (House & Kwik-e-Mart) were coded the same as just 'Minigifures', but not 100% sure so was mum until you mentioned it.
    Amanda1983
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,946
    I am hoping for a non-licensed something that is on par with previous ones like the MF Haunted House and Airjitsu Temple.
    SumoLegokiki180703Kevin_Hyatt
  • eggsheneggshen Middleton, WIMember Posts: 540
    My guess it that it will be something along the lines of #5002812 Classic Spaceman Figure or #850458 VIP Top 5 Boxed Minifigures. Both of those were D2C if I recall correctly.
    Amanda1983
    ^ Those lower-volume give-away sets are numbered differently.  The 7xxxx are all production sets.
    Amanda1983
  • eggsheneggshen Middleton, WIMember Posts: 540
    I'm just being greedy, I missed out on the first few waves of CMF's and really want a bunny suit guy and all the space figs I missed out on ;-).  I can always hope it is a big box with all the CMF's I am missing!

Crazy thought, what if the Disney CMF's are actually costumed characters and TLG is releasing a Disney theme park? Epcot Center, Cindarella Castle, etc. Probably not but that would be cool.
    Amanda1983
    If they did a big box of all CMF released so far, it would coat a huge amount. It would probably be $640 for just 10 series ($4 a go). But who would buy it? Just the relatively few collectors that were late to the game? It is no longer a pocket money impulse buy at $640.

It would also kill the CMF line dead. Why buy blind bags when you can wait for a complete set to be sold in one go.

Lego also use the minifigures tag to sell minifigure packs associated with other themes. But my money is on a Disney related set.
    madforLEGOSumoLegokiki180703Amanda1983
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,886
    I would love a new BIG brick built minifigure.
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,970
    I tend to agree that It may be a big Disney set. Possibly, as some have suggested, the Disney Castle, perhaps with a range of characters that are omitted from the CMF line so that people have to buy both.
    Amanda1983
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,957
    CM4S said:
    NOOO thanks, the last top 5 box was a disaster. I am fully certain it's another big set.
    A disaster in what sense?
    edited February 2016
    In that pretty much nobody would have picked the mummy in their top 5! Or the fisherman. It smacked of having overproduced series 3 and trying to offload them in some other way. 
    gmonkey76BumblepantsRainstorm26SumoLegoCM4Skiki180703Amanda1983
  • AleyditaAleydita BelgiumMember Posts: 811
    Were the band set and the Hallowe'en set released under the Minifigures theme? I can't remember. But if so, perhaps something along these lines except on a grander scale?

Maybe even something related to the Euro 2016 minifigure series? A football pitch with players, a referee, medical team and small crowd? Then you could swap players in that you pick up from the CMF for the generic that come with the set.
    Bumblepants
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,625
    edited February 2016
    Let's first start with the information we have via Brickset:

#71040 {Minifigures D2C} - Model Making / Advanced Models

The set number staring with 71--- suggests that it's a CMF set or a Simpsons set as it's the closest set number to the CMF series', #71006 - The Simpsons House and #71016 - Kwik-E-Mart. So it has a chance of being branded as either of the two.

The placeholder name / model making / advanced models suggests to me it's a similar LEGOLAND style large Minifigure based on a popular CMF such as #3723 - LEGO Minifigure which was released in 2000. What negates this theoy is it's set number as Creator Expert set numbers start with 102--, unless it will be it and branded as a CMF set instead.

I'm leaning towards it being a Simpsons set, as I noticed a pattern regarding the theme...

-Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire (December 17, 1989.) "25th anniversary of the first appearance of 742 Evergreen Terrace."

-The Telltale Head (February 25, 1990.) "25th anniversary of the first appearance of the Kwik-E-Mart."

-Three Men and a Comic Book (May 9, 1991.) "25th anniversary of the first appearance of The Android's Dungeon & Baseball Card Shop."

So given we've had two rumours of an Android's Dungeon set being released and that it's the 25th anniversary of the first appearance of the location in the show later this year. Also it's date being 'May 9th' it indicates that it could be released June 1st if the #76052 - Batman Classic TV Series, Batcave announcement is anything to go by...

Fingers crossed the pattern continues this year too!

http://www.groovebricks.com/lego-simpsons-comic-book-store-coming-late-2015/

Would anyone have believed (before its release) that the Simpsons House was actually a large building based on the set number alone? The trend was not to put a house in the CMF line. Trends only mean something until they no longer mean anything.
    Amanda1983
    edited February 2016
    CCC said:
    Would anyone have believed (before its release) that the Simpsons House was actually a large building based on the set number alone? The trend was not to put a house in the CMF line. Trends only mean something until they no longer mean anything.
    As in..

"Hey guys! New D2C coming next year, set 71006 Minifigures D2C!"

Depends whether or not we knew the Simpsons were coming out, I guess.
    After all the other 7100X sets, I reckon most people would have thought it was going to be a mini figures series based on just knowing the number.
    SumoLegoVorpalRyuAmanda1983
    edited March 2016
    So in the May the Fourth promo thread the May store newsletter has been posted with VIP early access to an Exclusive set from 18-31 May. Could this be the mysterious Minifigures D2C? Hopefully a reveal is imminent! Or soon, at least. I'm getting impatient :-) 
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,625
    Hopefully this is a sign towards the next Simpsons set as I previously mentioned!

Adzbadboy said:

-Three Men and a Comic Book (May 9, 1991.) "25th anniversary of the first appearance of The Android's Dungeon & Baseball Card Shop."

So given we've had two rumours of an Android's Dungeon set being released and that it's the 25th anniversary of the first appearance of the location in the show later this year. Also it's date being 'May 9th' it indicates that it could be released June 1st if the #76052 - Batman Classic TV Series, Batcave announcement is anything to go by...

• iso3200iso3200 97 miles from Brickset TowersMember Posts: 2,039
    edited March 2016
    edited March 2016
    Assault on Hoth is on the Calendar for a release over May the Fourth weekend.  If you consider that to be UCS.... ;-) 

Obviously not since you edited your comment Chris! :-)