Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Ghostbusters - New ECTO-1 for the new movie

Comments

• CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    I'm indifferent when it comes to the movie. I haven't seen or heard enough about it to form an opinion either way.

I think the set and figs look decent enough though. My opinion may change if the pin striping ends up being stickers. My name is Kevin, so I'm in for the torso with the name tag no matter what. 
    princedravencatwranglerkiki180703
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 939
    CircleK said:
    I'm indifferent when it comes to the movie. I haven't seen or heard enough about it to form an opinion either way.

I think the set and figs look decent enough though. My opinion may change if the pin striping ends up being stickers. My name is Kevin, so I'm in for the torso with the name tag no matter what. 
    The pin striping is printed. Marcos Bessa confirmed it in the comments on Facebook.
    AanchirCircleKcatwranglerkiki180703
  • Pumpkin_3CK5Pumpkin_3CK5 CaliforniaMember Posts: 802
    edited February 2016
    I think the set looks great. It's a lil weird that the demon has red limbs and head and the face, body and wings are translucent gray. It looks good and the details are nice, but the color scheme is odd. I wonder if it possesses Kevin, cause he has red eyes on his alternate head printing. Or maybe he has super powers.
  • devilheaddevilhead Member Posts: 282
    SumoLego said:

...aggressively ignorant.
    I think I need to form a punk rock band now.
    SumoLegoBumblepantskiki180703
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    dougts said:
    I'm willing to give it a chance.  It is a reboot after all, so it'll be interesting to see the reimagining (or utter blasphemy) of a classic.
    I will never watch this film or contribute a single penny to anything that has anything to do with it.  Remakes and reboots of classic successful movies are utter blasphemy that should not exist, and I won't be a part of it
    As far as I know, as part of making this new one, they won't be burning all existing copies of the original Ghostbusters (I could be wrong), so you can easily still enjoy that as much as you ever have.
    which has exactly nothing to do with my point.  I haven't watched the original GB in at least 20 or 25 years and will probably never watch it again. I really couldn't care less about the franchise at all.  It isn't about that, it's about my personal mission to refuse to support remakes and reboots as I would instead want all of my support to go to people who are actually creating new ideas, not recycling someone else's work.
    edited February 2016

Aanchir said:
    dougts said:
    I'm willing to give it a chance.  It is a reboot after all, so it'll be interesting to see the reimagining (or utter blasphemy) of a classic.
    I will never watch this film or contribute a single penny to anything that has anything to do with it.  Remakes and reboots of classic successful movies are utter blasphemy that should not exist, and I won't be a part of it
    I know, right? We can all remember what a disaster Ocean's Eleven was compared to the timeless 1960 version it was based on, or how awful John Carpenter's The Thing was compared to the 1951 version, or how utterly forgettable The Ten Commandments was compared to the 1923 silent film original! Improving on movies that were once popular is impossible, end of story. It's a mistake to even attempt it.
    Nice straw man.  I didn't say it was impossible to improve upon some originals, nor did I say that some remakes haven't been better than their original subject material.  Not my point.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited February 2016
    Now, @Aanchir might be a straw man aficionado, but not here.  You made a point that reboots should not exist.  He stated some valid examples as to why it can be a good thing they do exist.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,916
    edited February 2016
    He did say classic successful movies... One can hardly call the originals of any of the mentioned movies "successful" or classic in any sense other than they are old. (Exception being the fly).

The reboots were overwhelmingly the better movie. So much so that few even remember or are aware of the originals. There is 0% chance that this movie surpasses the original. So why bother. 
    dougtsmadforLEGOkiki180703
    edited February 2016
    Ok, but the 1951 thing was (and is) a pretty good classic movie, and was the most successful sci-fi film of that year, beating out The Day the Earth Stood Still (so sayeth Wikipedia).

The 1982 remake was not commercially successful in any way upon release, basically breaking even.  Today it's (deservedly) hailed as one of the greatest sci-fi/horror movies of all time.

So, maybe Girlbusters will flop, but maybe 20 years from now, it'll be regarded as a classic that surpasses Guybusters.  Who's to say?  Stay tuned!
    Now, @Aanchir might be a straw man aficionado, but not here.  You made a point that reboots should not exist.  He stated some valid examples as to why it can be a good thing they do exist.
    but the key is the *reason* I said they shouldn't exist.  I specifically said it was blasphemy, which means "irreverent behavior toward anything held sacred, priceless, etc.", in this context. This has nothing to do with relative success or quality of original vs. remake.  

Pointing out cases where remakes were better than original *IS* in fact a straw man, because I never argued that they sometimes weren't

Just because you keep saying it's a straw man doesn't actually make it one.  It's regardless though, and we're just going to have to agree to disagree.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 14,364
    devilhead said:
    SumoLego said:

They can tour with 'Raging Conformist.'
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,926
    Off-topic, but you still haven't really explained to me what your comment actually meant in that discussion about the Speed Champions sets, and it frustrates me if you're still mad at me for misinterpreting that comment. If I ever misrepresent anyone's post, by all means, call me out on it right away, but please then go on to tell me how it was SUPPOSED to be interpreted. I'm as prone to make mistakes as anybody but that doesn't mean I enjoy being mistaken.

Anyway, I still don't think it's right to say that remakes of popular movies are blasphemy, particularly because people rarely remake movies they didn't value in some way in the first place. And of course because something being "classic" doesn't make it sacred somehow. I enjoyed Ghostbusters, I think it was a great movie, and I think it deserves to be remembered as well as it is. But I don't think there's anything blasphemous about making a derivative work based on it, even if it does turn out to be worse than the original. Particularly since if that were true, "Ghostbusters 2" would be blasphemous in its own right.

I enjoyed "The Wizard of Oz", and I enjoyed "The Wiz", and I enjoyed "The Muppets' Wizard of Oz", and I enjoyed the Sci-Fi channel's "Tin Man". I enjoyed Tim Burton's "Batman" and I enjoyed "The Dark Knight". The newer versions of these stories aren't inherently better than the older versions, but I think there's something enjoyable about hearing the same stories from different storytellers. If a classic story is deemed "untouchable", you don't get that same kind of opportunity.
    Lyichir
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    Just thought i'll throw my two pence in - (though judging by the thread I feel like tuppences just became hand grenades, and so am prepared to duck for cover in case anything i say turns unexpectedly into a piece of shrapnel aimed straight for my face):

BUT... Leaving aside any views on the upcoming film/reboot and the furore surrounding it, which i won't go into, save to say I personally wished Murray had just taken a walk instead of continually vetoing Ramis & Aykroyd's wish to make some movies...

The SET looks great: The doors & boot (trunk) open, it seats all 4 GB's, comes with a ghost (?), an extra team character & bike (shame about the bike logo sticker - that's a point off). Figs are outstanding, with some funky new hair moulds, plus dual-tone leg and arm printing.

Now, the price is a little bit high for me personally (YMMV on that), but i suspect it will likely have a wide enough distribution in the UK to be picked up in a sale somewhere at some point, so that's probably not going to be an issue eventually.

So the only real fly in the ointment for me, and it's not so much a mark against this set - but a nod to how superior it is - is that everything good about is serving to exaggerate and amplify the utterly gear-grinding frustration i have with the original GB sets (without which this set wouldn't even exist), i.e. That even a freaking £275!!! set didn't get leg prints, didn't have a printed GB sign. I mean, COME ON!

This set, this one, gets the perfect treatment? GaaAAaaAAAah!!! :oP

On a side note; stickers.

I'm not a fan of stickers, i admit, but i will put up with them. However, the one instance in which i feel a sticker is a total No-no, is on iconic I.P. imagery. For me, it just defeats the point of buying the licensed LEGO set if the IP is merely on a sticker sheet thrown in the box. The iconic IP we're presumably paying premiums for should be visible on the brick
    I don't display instruction manuals, I don't display cardboard boxes. So I want to see that expensive IP on the Lego itself, to know it's official because it's on the actual brick... not just on a bunch of stickers applied after the fact. Otherwise we might as well just buy regular bricks and home print whatever IP's we like. 

Well, that's my two penn'orth. (waits for BOOM).

In summary: Set looks FANTASTIC. (I just wish it didn't highlight all the flaws and missed opportunities with the originals that this owes it's very existence to).

*Now hopes all the more they revisit the original, and include a movie accurate Slimer*

Cheers all.
    :o)
    madforLEGOgmonkey76bandit778catwranglerkiki180703oldtodd33thebeermonkey
    Aanchir said:

Anyway, I still don't think it's right to say that remakes of popular movies are blasphemy, particularly because people rarely remake movies they didn't value in some way in the first place.
    It's my opinion, it doesn't have to be "right" in the eyes of everyone
    Aanchir said:

Particularly since if that were true, "Ghostbusters 2" would be blasphemous in its own right.

now you are conflating sequels with remakes/reboots. Not the same thing at all.
    Just because you keep saying it's a straw man doesn't actually make it one.  It's regardless though, and we're just going to have to agree to disagree.
    straw man is a common form of argument and is an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument which was not advanced by that opponent.[1]

I never advanced the argument that remakes were inferior to and/or less successful than the originals, but @Aanchir responded to me by pointing out cases where remakes were more successful and/or superior to the originals.  It's the very definition of arguing against a straw man.

• princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    Just out of interest, not sure where I sit on this discussion, but @dougts  where does Episode VII sit with you? Sequel or Reboot?
    edited February 2016
    Seboot?  Requel?

It's not quite a reboot, but not quite a sequel.  It's a quasi-sequel... the margarine of reboots... not sequel enough?

Dedgecko
  • matticus_bricksmatticus_bricks Member Posts: 651
    SumoLego said:
    I can't say I understand apprehension and criticism before anyone has actually seen the product.

That's aggressively ignorant.
    I couldn't agree more, you've taken the words right out of my mouth. 
    dougts said:
    It isn't about that, it's about my personal mission to refuse to support remakes and reboots as I would instead want all of my support to go to people who are actually creating new ideas, not recycling someone else's work.
    While I appreciate this noble sentiment, and love original, thought-provoking ideas as much as anyone else, I have to say that this viewpoint is a bit ironic for any fan of Lego to hold. Isn't what we do with our Lego basically doing the same thing? We build models designed by other people, and use the elements that make them up to create something new. As Emmett says to Lord Business, "You might see mess, but what I see are people inspired by each other and by you. People taking things from what you made, and making something new out of it."

The point is that these are just moviesnot ancient texts carved in stone. It's okay for new writers to add to the story every now and then to put their own spin on things. It won't work for everyone, sure, but that doesn't mean it can't still be valuable. Give it a chance before you judge. 
    SumoLegoTheLoneTensorkiki180703Aanchir
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 2,294
    I suppose most people who are old enough look on the original as just that - 'original'
    It was new and exciting and had not been done before. I will probably go and see the new film at some point but I am not expecting too much due to the fact that (and this goes for a lot of modern cinema) trying to recreate originality with OTT special effects and forced characters very rarely works. 
    As for the set, would have to see it it the flesh to decide on whether I like it enough to buy it.
    It does strike me as odd the way Ghostbusters is being marketed by TLG though as going from a £50 set for the original Ecto 1 to the £275 GBHQ then back to a £50 set for the reboot Ecto 1 doesn't seem to be aimed at any particular group of buyers as a lot of non AFOL's who may be interested enough in the franchise to get the smaller sets, be it the old or new set would not necessarily splash out the larger amount of money on the GBHQ but may have brought more from the line if it had been done like the Scooby Doo theme and been given a variety of location based sets to go at.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 7,064
    I read that force ghost Jar Jar Binks will team up with them in a cameo.
    bandit778kiki180703SumoLego
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,698
    Guys wait till a trailer comes out before you guys judge the movie. When the movie comes out and it doesn't work for you'll always have the original :)
    matticus_brickskiki180703
  • chrisalddinchrisalddin UKMember Posts: 3,022
    On the list!
    i have to have this.
    this looks awesome!
    this is a day 1 buy for me,
    i going to have to start keeping a better list.
    but yep i am going to own this set.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,927
    SumoLego said:
    devilhead said:
    SumoLego said:

They can tour with 'Raging Conformist.'
    And in 30 years time the all girl Aggressively Ignorant can tour with the all girl Raging Conformist.
    SumoLego
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    The last there was this much pre-hatred for a movie was Junk Trash's Fantastic 4 reboot. The vitriol started up immediately after casting was announced that they changed Johnny Storm to be black. Some of the hate was outright racism, which is sad. But others with a valid view that this was just PC agenda forced upon the movie, not to improve it in anyway but more so just to make a social political point. But their opinion was grouped with the racists one and were dismissed as being closed minded. "Give it a chance." "How can you hate it without seeing it." 

Well sometimes you can tell right away if a movie is going to be terrible just by the concept of it. Because FF4 was beyond horrendous and the reviews prove it. But they had to waste 2 hours and a few bucks to say 'yea that was crap after all.' If it looks like it, smells like it, do I need to eat it to confirm what it is?

I'm thankful it went down the way it did because it saved us from Junk Trash helming the 2nd SW anthology movie and will be another example of why cheesy political statements don't belong in movies. And I do believe this Girlbuster reboot will be another flop for the same reason. The audience knows when it's getting played.
    dougtskiki180703gmonkey76
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 3,088
    How do you pre-hate a remake of F4 when the first attempts were a bit crap also? Well I thought they were a bit crap, watchable on a wet Sunday afternoon with nothing better to do.
    matticus_brickskiki180703
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    Didn't say the first ones were any good, cuz they sucked too. But this new reboot one tried so hard to be cool that it was dead on conception.
  • dashofdashingdashofdashing Member Posts: 30
    I myself will be avoiding film like the plague. We want original film ideas. I will be putting my money towards firehouse instead. This set will go cheap soon after. It's just not worth price!
    VorpalRyu
    so are we placing any bets that Old School Ecto-1 will retire before this new set comes out?
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 2,294
    ^don't mind myself as I already have it as I loved the shape of the old car. I will not be getting the GBHQ due to the price (could not justify spending that on the Death Star and I am a Star Wars nut) so will be a definite no no. The new car is a maybe if it looks good and I can get it for a good price as those minifigs do look good.
  • tallblocktootallblocktoo CanadaMember Posts: 497
    I think I may pass not because of the movie just because I have the original already.  However the mini-figures are fun so perhaps.  
    Didn't say the first ones were any good, cuz they sucked too. But this new reboot one tried so hard to be cool that it was dead on conception.
    Frankly, I think that was more of the studio's effort to avoid losing the franchise rights if they didn't release another film within the contractual parameters.  

Nonetheless, I'm not sure what to think of the GB Reboot/Sequel, but I hope it's good so there are more movies, as I find them enjoyable.

On a personal level, I think the DC Cinematic Universe is going to be horrible, but I will reserve judgment until my eyes start to bleed.
    gmonkey76kiki180703
    DC Cinematic Universe?
    how long has the Marvel Cinematic Universe been running for now?
    DC are a bit slow of the starting line there.
    i had figured that DC just did not like the idea of doing a Cinematic Universe.
    at this point it can only be called jumping on the bandwagon and hoping you not to late to get on.
    me i think the bandwagon has sailed away on a ship already long ago.
    VorpalRyu
    edited February 2016
    ^ Three BILLION dollars between two Avengers movies is a pretty good motivating factor for doing a shared cinematic universe.

We'll see how the SW Rogue One movie does - as it's the first real foray into a SW Cinematic Universe.  (And the HP Cinematic Universe movie in 2016.)

Either way, I don't think the folks in charge of the DC Universe are going to pull it off.  I hate to say that I'm going to secretly delight when they pull the plug on some of the later films.

And I can't stand Superman, and still watch the Nolan Batman films, so pardon my predisposition to dislike all of it.  And Ben Affleck.  
    VorpalRyu
    is "Cinematic Universe" a new buzz word?
    VorpalRyu
  • RomanticWarriorRomanticWarrior United StatesMember Posts: 248
    SumoLego said:
    ^ Three BILLION dollars between two Avengers movies is a pretty good motivating factor for doing a shared cinematic universe.

We'll see how the SW Rogue One movie does - as it's the first real foray into a SW Cinematic Universe.  (And the HP Cinematic Universe movie in 2016.)

Either way, I don't think the folks in charge of the DC Universe are going to pull it off.  I hate to say that I'm going to secretly delight when they pull the plug on some of the later films.

And I can't stand Superman, and still watch the Nolan Batman films, so pardon my predisposition to dislike all of it.  And Ben Affleck.  
    No worries. Superman wasn't in "Man of Steel."  Just some joyless, brooding, jerky pompous space alien who dresses kind of like Superman. ;)
    SumoLegokiki180703VorpalRyu
  • Pumpkin_3CK5Pumpkin_3CK5 CaliforniaMember Posts: 802
    edited February 2016
    All this ghostbusters talk reminds me of Extreme GB from '97. I clearly remember how creepy the ending music was.
    is "Cinematic Universe" a new buzz word?
    It's a global approach to managing popular franchises.  If you can produce more movies that are inter-related, it makes the 'team-up' movie exponentially more profitable.  It also shares the risk.

14 inter-related movies and four companion television shows keeps a lot of fans continually interested in the franchise.  If you can get your consumers to expect to see two movies a year and buy associated products, that makes for a more vibrant franchise.

There is no way that 'Jessica Jones' or 'Daredevil' ever gets made unless the Marvel Universe is so popular that they can afford to take chances, and prioritize properties.
    Dedgeckokiki180703gmonkey76VorpalRyu
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 7,064
    Man of Steel Superman reminds me of Emmet "I can be dark! I can be brooding!" (please like my movie as much as people liked the Dark Knight!)
    SumoLego said:

No worries. Superman wasn't in "Man of Steel."  Just some joyless, brooding, jerky pompous space alien who dresses kind of like Superman. ;)
    MOS/BvS Superman is actually pretty accurate to the comics, at least since the late 80s, though I'd probably replace "joyless and brooding" with "stern and pragmatic."  If you're comparing him to the animated series or DTV movies, then yeah, this Superman appears a bit prickier.
  • brumeybrumey AustriaMember Posts: 1,002
    i liked THE THING from 1982! it has some magic to it. but i also like "ash vs evil dead" ...
    jessica jones and daredevil are pretty good known here in austria, because of all the people watching netflix like crazy!
    catwranglerkiki180703
  • Legopassion8Legopassion8 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,181
    I didn't know Thor was gonna be in this movie! Have y'all seen Vacation? Hemsworth rulez !
  • SecretjediSecretjedi Member Posts: 175
    I have no interest in seeing this movie at all based on the cast. I dislike the few things I have seen starring Melissa McCarthy in and Wiig is usually annoying. I have no idea who there other two are. Paul Feig hasn't made a movie I want to see. I am not a hardcore lover of the original GB either. From the evidence I have seen, I won't like this.
    VorpalRyu
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,230
    Vacation...not a real good example IMO. Vacation was going to be so good that they had to start putting Chevy Chase, as Clark, in the later advertising hoping there would be those that would go see it out of nostalgia. Guessing the producers of GB will do the same with the new GB reboot if it does not generate buzz with its first adverts (if any of the original cast are in fact in the movie of course).
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,616
    I won't see it in theaters because it just doesn't strike me as a got to see it movie. The idea of a rehash of the original just makes me want to keep my money. The star Wars movie cost me the better part of $100 to take my wife and kids to see and this movie doesn't even come close to making me want to spend that kind of money. If the reviews and general consensus say it's REALLY good, I'll consider buying the DVD 3 months after it hits the theaters. 
    gmonkey76CCC
  • Bludchylde1Bludchylde1 Member Posts: 49
    I have no interest in seeing this movie at all based on the cast. I dislike the few things I have seen starring Melissa McCarthy in and Wiig is usually annoying. I have no idea who there other two are. Paul Feig hasn't made a movie I want to see. I am not a hardcore lover of the original GB either. From the evidence I have seen, I won't like this.

Agreed with everything but Wiig. Looking at the imdb entries for the other 2 busters doesn't show anything that makes me feel confident in this movie.

I probably will see it because it is Ghost Busters, but I'm probably setting the bar lower for expectations that I did for the GI Joe or Transformers movies.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,916
    Sigh. GI Joe. What a wasted opportunity of a movie franchise. Same with transformers.

BrickDancerkiki180703CircleKdougts
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 3,088
    pharmjod said:
    Sigh. GI Joe. What a wasted opportunity of a movie franchise. Same with transformers.

As someone who never saw a single GI Joe reference in his childhood (didn't seem to be doing anything in the UK around the time or soon after when Transformers, MASK, HeMan or Thundercats had their day), I found the GI Joe films quite entertaining as far as mindless action films go.
    Galactus
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,711
    I grew up with the GI Joe Adventure Team, was very disappointed when they discontinued them and switched to the smaller figures, so I never bothered with the later versions and the movies based on them. I look at Ghostbusters the same way - loved the original, not excited about the reboot. 
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    pharmjod said:

They were an insult. All I need now is for Michael Bay to produce his take on Voltron and the total destruction of my fondest childhood memories will be complete. 
    SumoLegopharmjodkiki180703