Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

AITOO or Does Bricklink suck on iOS

DedgeckoDedgecko Seattle, WAMember Posts: 800
edited February 2016 in Buying & Selling Topics
From Seller sites being mis-formatted to getting a functional login to make a purchase, I can't seem to get into Bricklink using Safari and iOS.

And holy mother of Moses is it slow!

This is 2016, this shouldn't be that hard.

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,920
    Oh well. It works fine on Windows, Android and Linux. :-)
    VorpalRyumadforLEGO
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,318
    No issues accessing it on Chrome, Internet Explorer or Firefox. Then again, Safari for Windows seems to be buggy as frak, it crashes just trying to log into Twitter, Facebook, the Brickset forums, etc.
    xiahna
  • tigstigs Member Posts: 5
    i use bricklink on both pc and mac, and if im browsing pieces it works ok on iOS too.. a good rule of thumb when it comes to software conflicts, as opposed to website conflicts, and please dont think im being harsh when i say this; mac software for mac hardware, pc software for pc hardware, linux/opensource for all of the above and more. one of the main reasons Safari will be choppy on a pc is it was initially designed for mac use only. if it ran smoothly on a pc, mac would loose hardware.. a small percentage, but still. i use firefox and have been using opera too on the rare occasion, and both work super well! but you are right when it comes to iOS though.. they need a much smoother mobile/iOS/android face for bricklink.. way too much going on to make sense of it on a screen smaller than 6 inches.
    good luck and let us know how you go!

VorpalRyukiki180703
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,318
    @tigs, I only tested it out because we need a fourth web browser for guests to use & several people said it's an awesome browser, even on a Windows PC... End result, as expected, built for Mac, not a great idea for Windows, but thanks for mentioning Opera, haven't used it in years & kind of forgot about it (thought it had gone the way of Netscape), might have to throw Opera on the machine.
    xiahna
  • kiki180703kiki180703 Montreal, CanadaMember Posts: 1,055
    @Dedgecko I agree that it is SO slow! But I can easily log in, it's just really slow.
  • deephorsedeephorse West Yorkshire, U.K.Member Posts: 83
    Dedgecko said:
    From Seller sites being mis-formatted to getting a functional login to make a purchase, I can't seem to get into Bricklink using Safari and iOS.

And holy mother of Moses is it slow!

This is 2016, this shouldn't be that hard.

It works just fine on my ipad mini.  
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    edited February 2016
    Works fine on my iMac, Mac mini and iPads, doubt very much it is slow due to your browser software, more likely your internet access or the backend.  Download Chrome and try the same pages, would be really surprised if it is significantly different, if at all.
    And again, login issues are highly unlikely to be due to the browser. 
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    I can confirm that Bricklink is super slow to open each and every page on my iPad Air that is fully updated. So incredibly frustrating to visit BL becaus of it.
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    Just opened it on 2 iPads, one on Safari and one on Chrome, both performed similarly but Safari was a little quicker to open pages.  Maybe Bricklink itself is struggling ??
  • matticus_bricksmatticus_bricks Member Posts: 651
    Oddly enough, Bricklink works fine with my Wifi on my iPad Mini, but if I want to use it on my phone, I have to turn off Wifi and use my cellular data. So I usually just my iPad or my laptop. 
  • KingAlanIKingAlanI Rochester, NYMember Posts: 2,173
    Works fine on Firefox for Windows, and Chrome for Android.
    Brickset looks weird on Android, can't seem to find the basic info box with things like MSRP.
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    One reason people have problems with portable devices is that, often, they're never switched off. In theory, it shouldn't make a difference - but it does.

Reboot things from time to time.
    KingAlanIkiki180703VorpalRyucatwrangler
  • ricecakericecake Maryland, USAMember Posts: 879
    Works fine on the stock Android browser as well, though I usually have to rotate my phone (to get the wider aspect ratio) and zoom in a little bit to be able to read things.

I tend to reboot my phone about once a week or whenever it feels like it's running extra slowly or the battery starts draining faster than usual.

KingAlanI I think the box with that info is at the bottom of the page on mobile, so scroll down past the eBay listings.
    KingAlanI
    @ricecake that's exactly it, the infobox is simply way at the bottom of the page.

Yeah, being left on is one thing that can make computing devices act weird. Also, if a device is really low on available storage, it can get sluggish.
  • Bricklover18Bricklover18 PA, USAMember Posts: 720
    Have you tried clearing safari's cookies and data.  That might help a little.
  • DedgeckoDedgecko Seattle, WAMember Posts: 800
    Yea, finally got in using private mode.  It's still sluggish.  Restart has no effect.  It's fine.  Clearly the site has no intention of improving mobile access.
  • kiki180703kiki180703 Montreal, CanadaMember Posts: 1,055
    I can confirm that Bricklink is super slow to open each and every page on my iPad Air that is fully updated. So incredibly frustrating to visit BL becaus of it.
    Same for me!
    mobile access is useful to get information about a set while you're in the store, and to share information about what you found. it helps me that a lot of local stores with LEGO have wifi.
  • DJ_Pon3DJ_Pon3 Member Posts: 93
    It been like this for months. Ever since one of the iOS updates, since then the pages take ages to load. Resort to using my laptop just for the sake of my sanity.
    theLEGOmanlordzarakkiki180703twoninerken
  • JayoheazyJayoheazy SF Bay AreaMember Posts: 14
    BL is really slow on my iPhone and iPad. Both have the latest updates and are only a year old. Works fine on Windows but Apple is meh
  • Gavin83Gavin83 Member Posts: 251
    Bricklink is fine on my pc. Weirdly it also works fine on my iPhone but it's incredibly slow on my iPad. Don't have a problem on any other website. Takes about a minute to move between pages.

I'd be less confused if the iPhone didn't work either.
  • DedgeckoDedgecko Seattle, WAMember Posts: 800
    Gavin83 said:
    Bricklink is fine on my pc. Weirdly it also works fine on my iPhone but it's incredibly slow on my iPad. Don't have a problem on any other website. Takes about a minute to move between pages.

@Gavin83 What models do you have of each device?  I'm guessing it's a memory issue.
  • Gavin83Gavin83 Member Posts: 251
    Dedgecko said:
    Gavin83 said:

@Gavin83 What models do you have of each device?  I'm guessing it's a memory issue.
    iPhone 6s and IPad Air 2. It's also worth noting that I don't have this issue with any other website. It's just bricklink. 
  • JayoheazyJayoheazy SF Bay AreaMember Posts: 14
    Same