Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Toy Fairs 2016

14567810»

Comments

• BoomDiggityBoomDiggity Member Posts: 107
    Kleiovous said:
    It just all doesn't really matter. 
    This guy really gets it.  All these lengthy posts about photos...of toys.  Everything will be OK guys!
    ericbkiki180703
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,652
    ^all of the posts here are about toys and pictures of toys. Unless it is the predictions thread. Sometimes we talk about guns and taxes and sausage.
    gmonkey76Rainstorm26SumoLegoeggshenbandit778Ronyarkiki180703MattsWhat
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 984
    Lego is just playing a game....like in their catalog, they will show items with a future release date, and the words "hard to find" printed on the catalog listing.   I bet they promi$ed someone the first photos to be released.   
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    Aanchir said:

The LEGO Group can't just sabotage their OWN business dealings just because they know fans will take advantage of them.
    And just what is a "fan"? I have my idea of what it means; I don't imagine that it matches everybody else's.

This is a fan site, but is everybody here a fan? Is a scalper or reseller a fan? What about the spies for other toy manufacturers (and it doesn't have to be a construction toy)? They're all here. Everybody has their own reason for wanting advance information - some of them conflict with TLG's business aspirations. How are they supposed to distinguish between the "right" sort of fan and the "wrong" sort?
    ryjay said:
    Lego is just playing a game....like in their catalog, they will show items with a future release date, and the words "hard to find" printed on the catalog listing.   I bet they promi$ed someone the first photos to be released.   
    The one thing that TLG is not doing is playing a game.

It only might seem to be a game to those adult fans, of whatever sort. TLG's primary market, children and parents, are likely to be oblivious to everything about the toy fairs and only know about new sets either when they appear on the shelves or they notice them in a catalogue a few months after it has been produced.

If they promised the first photos to somebody, then that's simply a business decision, probably one tied up with gaining better exposure.
    catwrangler
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,252
    I have no problem with photos that scream 'do not publish' being not allowed to be released and taken off of the web. I have no issues with LEGO telling people to not take cameras into retailer shows either, as like someone noted it is for retailers benefit to see the product that they will buy to put on their shelves, and that is usually very well understood that photos cannot be taken. I do feel a bit indifferent about those that happen to find the [email protected] URLs for to be released sets, like I think GB HQ was at some point, as I'm guessing LEGO is just trying to plan the release and those are not really meant for public consumption either. However, when @Huw got nailed for just posting 'too good of a description' that is just silly IMO. I am a fan and want to see what is coming out, because well I'm 'nosey', but I can wait until official photos (at least those authorized by LEGO to be taken) are released.

Though I will say if LEGO really want to stop those from getting an idea of what is coming out then they also need to stop the leaks that occur in all of their factories outside Billund. I think we all saw more of the Simpsons and other lines to be released from stuff sneaking out the back doors of those factories onto eBay. Same with the Chinese factories that LEGO uses.
    tamamahmRonyarkiki180703Bumblepants
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,514
    I wonder if Lego needs to show SW sets to retailers any way. They're going to be stocking up on those ones, whatever they look like.
    Coolguy5000tallblocktooSumoLegokiki180703
    I imagine some sets have a greater appeal than others - perhaps to people other than hardened Star Wars fans. Something like R2-D2 probably had a disproportionate interest.
  • Pumpkin_3CK5Pumpkin_3CK5 CaliforniaMember Posts: 762
    edited January 2016
    ^"What is a fan? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk! Have at you!" 

Guess it works, what with all the hiding of sets and all, haha.

Lyichirmatticus_brickskiki180703
  • BazookaJoeX9BazookaJoeX9 Member Posts: 98
    ^ Castlevania! Awesome reference.
    Pumpkin_3CK5matticus_brickskiki180703brumey
  • matticus_bricksmatticus_bricks Member Posts: 648
    ^"What is a fan? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk! Have at you!" 

Guess it works, what with all the hiding of sets and all, haha.

"Your words are as empty as my wallet! Brickkind ill needs a savior such as you!"
    Pumpkin_3CK5kiki180703
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,938
    However, when @Huw got nailed for just posting 'too good of a description' that is just silly IMO. I am a fan and want to see what is coming out, because well I'm 'nosey', but I can wait until official photos (at least those authorized by LEGO to be taken) are released.

Nailed for descriptions when photos were literally coming out just days later... more than just a little silly. 
    madforLEGOkiki180703
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 1,282
    Are drawings not allowed on here anymore? They were last August when I posted a bunch for this year's sets. Just wanna know for next August ;)
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,791

tamamahm said:
    However, when @Huw got nailed for just posting 'too good of a description' that is just silly IMO. I am a fan and want to see what is coming out, because well I'm 'nosey', but I can wait until official photos (at least those authorized by LEGO to be taken) are released.

Nailed for descriptions when photos were literally coming out just days later... more than just a little silly. 
    It kind of makes me wonder if there might've been one specific detail they wanted kept under wraps but couldn't specify which since identifying that detail would alert people to its significance. But for all I know it could just be a case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing. That tends to be the reason for a lot of the more absurd or inexplicable decisions the LEGO Group makes.
    tallblocktookiki180703tamamahmcatwrangler
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,390
    ^ "right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing" -- that was my conclusion.

I think it was the two Star Wars sets based on a (at that time) not announced TV series that was announced 2 days later in Germany, that did it.

Interestingly Kim emailed me the day after about it, not to chastise me as well but to find out more because he though they were out of order asking me to remove the reports, too. As a result we should get a clearer set of guidelines for next year. Not that I'll be going to London again, I'll be persona non grata...
    catwranglertamamahm
  • chrisalddinchrisalddin UKMember Posts: 2,860
    edited January 2016
    Huw said:
    ^ "right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing" -- that was my conclusion.

I think it was the two Star Wars sets based on a (at that time) not announced TV series that was announced 2 days later in Germany, that did it.

Interestingly Kim emailed me the day after about it, not to chastise me as well but to find out more because he though they were out of order asking me to remove the reports, too. As a result we should get a clearer set of guidelines for next year. Not that I'll be going to London again, I'll be persona non grata...
    Cut (or grow) your hair,
    Cut (or Grow) a Beard.
    get (or change) a pear of eyeglass's (or if you have glass's swap to contacts.)
    no one will ever know that it is you.
    there is also the possibility that no one will remember this in 1 year's time. 

• AleyditaAleydita BelgiumMember Posts: 785
    I suspect that TLG have an agreement with Nuremburg for them to be able to claim first reveal, and that interested press/media are invited to the London event only so they can write something up ready for release once images become available at Nuremburg. TLG maybe thought that Brickset jumping the gun by a couple of days probably had a chance to upset Nuremburg.
    catwrangler
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 984
    edited January 2016
    TigerMoth said:

The one thing that TLG is not doing is playing a game.

It is 100% a game...it is a toy company telling you they are important.  At the end of the day, LEGO has done nothing we cant all live without.   It's a toy and it's a game of business.
  • DedgeckoDedgecko Seattle, WAMember Posts: 799
    I stand corrected on the volcano set, that volcano is a pretty damn decent size after seeing Brickfans' video of it
    tallblocktooBumblepantsAanchirkiki180703
  • tallblocktootallblocktoo CanadaMember Posts: 494
    @Dedgecko I was thinking the same after seeing  it set up on that video.   
    ah dam it... the close up has this volcano theme growing on me.

Be careful - you're heading for the dangerous territory of wanting to collect every set.

That may not sound so bad until you realise just how many sets don't make it into every market.
    pharmjodbrumey
  • bricktuarybricktuary EuropeMember Posts: 470
    The Friends amusement park looks amazing. Seriously.  Definitely getting that one.
    LostInTranslationkiki180703
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    edited February 2016
    Dedgecko said:
    I stand corrected on the volcano set, that volcano is a pretty damn decent size after seeing Brickfans' video of it
    Could someone point me in the direction of this video please :-)
    edited February 2016
    TigerMoth said:
    Be careful - you're heading for the dangerous territory of wanting to collect every set.

That may not sound so bad until you realise just how many sets don't make it into every market.
    this i know, in a way i lucked out there as i am in the uk. we will see a good high % of them close to 93% i would say.
    but i just don't have the cash to buy from all themes.
    the only way i have spent what i have in the last 3 months is by selling off a load of OO Gauge trains, a what can only be called a ass load of games from Ps2, Ps3, Ps4, DS, 3DS, PSP, PSV, GameCube, WII, WII U, and some old stuff like a Ipod Nano. Ps3 Move controllers. Buzz controllers. random other stuff.
    i still have a ASS load of games. Most are JRPG's and i just can not bring myself to part with them. oh and the pokemon games. Now there is a lego Theme i would go all out for, a Pokemon Theme in Lego. i would love that.
  • tallblocktootallblocktoo CanadaMember Posts: 494
    edited February 2016
    @princedraven Courtesy of The Brick Show
    princedravenkiki180703catwrangler
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 1,282
    The best parts of those videos are the conversations in the background.
    mr.pigglesDedgeckokiki180703Adzbadboy
  • mr.pigglesmr.piggles Snow FortMember Posts: 326
    edited February 2016
    I thought it was just me. I didn't care about the volcano, I was just wondering what Chad and Paul were talking about, especially with being so surprised that a head comes off. I figured the French taught us that lesson very well in the 1790s.
    SirBenkiki180703
    at this point.
    i have listed 12 set's that are in my "i would like to have that set" list. from the toy Fairs that have been held to date this year.
    this list may grow bigger,
    for a start i have not listed any Nexo Knights as i will buy them. if there on my list or not.
    the list is more of a reminder of my interest in X set. (ware X is the set's name.)
    there are good odd's that i well never have all the set's i wish to have.
    the airport theme may get left to the side. like the space theme has from 2015.
    i like both themes i hope to get some of them. i like to have all of the set's from both themes but as it stand right now, i dont know if that will  come to pass or not.
    until that time there on my list :)
    all hail The List. Bow down to the power of The List!
  • Kevin_HyattKevin_Hyatt UKMember Posts: 778
    Has "Airjitzu Temple Grounds" made an appearance at any of the toy fairs yet?
  • willobee498willobee498 CanadalandMember Posts: 349
    Not yet :(
    Kevin_Hyatt