Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

2016 Modular Building

Comments

• AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,823
    I tend to value the modulars based on how interesting they look, not how big they are. Pet Shop was my first modular and still one of my favorites, but the Detective's Office and Parisian Restaurant are some of the most stunning modular designs to date in my eyes. Bright colors, creative part use, and lots of details inside and out.

I think increases in the price of modular buildings shouldn't be a part of the same discussion as decreases in their size, because a big part of that is just inflation. Cafe Corner cost $140 in 2007 but that's $165 in today's money. That's nearly as expensive as the Brick Bank for 320 fewer pieces. Green Grocer was $150 in 2008, which is $170 in today's money. Close to the same piece count as Brick Bank and close to the same price. Other than the Town Hall, which was both bigger and more expensive than any other modular building, the REAL price of modular buildings has scarcely increased at all.

Interior detail on the modular buildings has definitely increased, which accounts for some of the decrease in size. But I'd argue that exterior detail is another part of this equation. Green Grocer may have been huge and had LOADS of large Sand Green bricks, but that's understandable once you realize that the back wall and both of the side walls were mostly just flat Sand Green walls with occasional stripes and tiny windows. When I turn the Detective's Office or Parisian Restaurant around to the back, they're nearly as detailed as the front, with far more interesting colors, patterns, and architecture than the back of the Green Grocer. Logistically speaking, this kind of detail probably costs much more than just including more and more of the same few basic bricks to build up the walls.

Now, this doesn't apply so much to Brick Bank. Other than the back side of it being rather mottled due to the many different colors of the interior walls, it doesn't have a lot going on in the back. But of course, a corner building never has nearly as much back wall to work with anyway. And the many different interior wall colors probably have a similar impact on the price to the many exterior wall colors of the Detective's Office. Again, it means the model can't just reuse the same bricks throughout the entire design.
    tallblocktooFollowsCloselySalamalex
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    ^^ @TigerMoth He said perceive SIZE by height (whilst relating it to a stud count discussing the relative SIZE of the modulars), not content or quality or desirability. Detailed interiors cant be a perception of size, whilst as you say they are a trade off for size which may fit better with market demand. 
    Size can be determined in a number of ways. One of those is piece count. TLG use a variation on that because different pieces have different costs associated with them.

Unfortunately, whether anybody likes it or not, their version of "size" IS definitive.
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,096
    I wasn't impressed with the bank when I saw it.  It's not bad looking or anything but I'd rather spend $30 more on the Ninjago Temple.  Despite the Temple being 400 pieces less, it's much more impressive looking.  I understand that this is due to it being open in the back.  I would argue that due to the direction that Lego is taking with the modulars they should just make them open in the back also. 
    mathew said:
    I wasn't impressed with the bank when I saw it.  It's not bad looking or anything but I'd rather spend $30 more on the Ninjago Temple.  Despite the Temple being 400 pieces less, it's much more impressive looking.  I understand that this is due to it being open in the back.  I would argue that due to the direction that Lego is taking with the modulars they should just make them open in the back also. 
    That's bound to be an unpopular opinion. I've encountered a lot of AFOLs who feel like even buildings from more play-oriented themes like LEGO Friends and LEGO City should all have closed backs.
  • MrShinyAndNewMrShinyAndNew Member Posts: 249
    As a kid, and now as an AFOL, I can say that it bugs me when things which should be closed are not closed. The Lonely Mountain and the Mines of Moria are each represented by a pair of walls. A fire station or a police station is a facade. A spaceship canopy is open on the sides like some kind of terrestrial convertible automobile. Etc. So keep the modulars closed, please. I'm a big fan of the old Knight's Castle, which opened up to play, or the Haunted House, which does the same, or the modulars.

I will concede that the modulars appear to be getting shorter over time. But I'm still more satisfied with the theme now than I was when it launched.
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 803
    Aanchir said:
    mathew said:
    That's bound to be an unpopular opinion. I've encountered a lot of AFOLs who feel like even buildings from more play-oriented themes like LEGO Friends and LEGO City should all have closed backs.
    I just wish all Lego buildings had proper backs. That's my main criteria, and why I generally only buy modulars, with a couple of exceptions like Medieval Market Village, Haunted House, and Simpsons House
    Jern92 said:

I just wish all Lego buildings had proper backs.
    Didn't you know? You're supposed to buy the Temple of Airjitzu in fours. Just like you were supposed to buy Horizon Express in pairs. It's part of a new policy that allows you to get more expensive sets by instalments.
    tallblocktookiki180703SumoLegoJern92AdzbadboyricecakeJenni
    TigerMoth said:
    Jern92 said:

I just wish all Lego buildings had proper backs.
    Didn't you know? You're supposed to buy the Temple of Airjitzu in fours. Just like you were supposed to buy Horizon Express in pairs. It's part of a new policy that allows you to get more expensive sets by instalments.
    I realize this post is a joke, but shouldn't it only take two copies of the Temple of Airjitzu to fully enclose the temple? It already has two walls, it only needs two more.

Overall, I think there are merits to some sets having open backs, especially if they're more play-oriented, or simply designed for the interiors to be viewed from the side rather than above. Now, obviously Haunted House and Ghostbusters Firehouse got the best of both worlds (fully-enclosed buildings that open up for dollhouse-style play), but it obviously had an impact on the price, and I can't imagine a lot of parents lining up to pay $180 or more for their six-year-old's first LEGO City police station or LEGO Friends dollhouse!

When I was ten, I remember being perfectly happy with LEGO Harry Potter Hogwarts Castle modules that were only enclosed on one side, if at all — more room for play that way.
    tallblocktooJern92
    Aanchir said:

I realize this post is a joke, but shouldn't it only take two copies of the Temple of Airjitzu to fully enclose the temple? It already has two walls, it only needs two more.
    I've only seen it once, so I'm not overly confident, but it's a corner. If you put two of them together, then you get a two adjacent corners - a short wall, a corner, a double-length wall, the second corner, a second short wall. The don't go back-to-back.

Mind you, you'd get something very impressive! Neither pictures, nor the designer video, do the set justice. Four of them? Well...
    SumoLegokiki180703
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,199
    I'm looking forward to cobbling four together to make a proper pagoda...
    kiki180703VorpalRyutallblocktooricecakegmonkey76
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,096
    Aanchir said:
    mathew said:
    I used to feel that way.  But if Lego keeps sacrificing size for interior details there will be no room to actually play.  Then there's the Ghostbusters HQ which is overbuilt in my opinion. 
    VorpalRyubrumeykiki180703
  • brumeybrumey AustriaMember Posts: 994
    taj mahal much better than ghostbusters hq. imo
    TigerMoth said:
    Aanchir said:

I've only seen it once, so I'm not overly confident, but it's a corner. If you put two of them together, then you get a two adjacent corners - a short wall, a corner, a double-length wall, the second corner, a second short wall. The don't go back-to-back.

Mind you, you'd get something very impressive! Neither pictures, nor the designer video, do the set justice. Four of them? Well...
    Oh, no, I didn't mean to imply you could just put two sets back to back and call it complete. But really, while the Temple of Airjitzu is a corner, it's also a full half a building, divided down the center diagonally. Arguably slightly more than half a building since it includes three complete corner columns and a nearly complete first floor. Putting together FOUR entire temples seems like more trouble than it's worth. You could make a complete pagoda that way, but the proportions would be much, much different than the proportions the actual set implies.
    Jern92kiki180703
    mathew said:

I used to feel that way.  But if Lego keeps sacrificing size for interior details there will be no room to actually play.
    But it doesn't work that way, does it? The floor plans remain the same - they have to. Yes, the buildings are getting lower, but that doesn't affect playing with them because that implies splitting the floors when the headroom is virtually limitless. Yes, some have two floors, some three, but that's not directly related to where they sit in the evolution of the theme.
  • TheMaker37TheMaker37 Norfolk,VaMember Posts: 482
    OK, maybe someone can answer this question? I have just started the "Brick Bank" and am wondering about the story....I thought I knew what was going on until I built the beginning of the shaft on the first floor. By looking at the directions bf I built it seemed that the air-vent would force the cage open when the thief went through the opening, but, I was wrong. So, this is my theory and I think I am wrong so please correct if you feel like it. Since someone can use the trick washing to send money inside the vault I believe there is someone paying off a bank employee in the vault to intentionally leave the caged ceiling open at night so that someone can rob the vault. Otherwise how do someone enter? 
  • TheUltimateTFOLTheUltimateTFOL Texas, USAMember Posts: 153
    I think the washing machine is to put counterfeit money so the employees don't get suspicious when bills go missing.
    More importantly, am I supposed to hide cookies in the dryer?
    tallblocktooTheMaker37kiki180703brumeygmonkey76Goldchains
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 803
    SumoLego said:
    More importantly, am I supposed to hide cookies in the dryer?
    Nah, put sausages in there so you get nice grilled ones coming out the other end.
    kiki180703tallblocktooSumoLegoGoldchains
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited January 2016
    Money laundering is all about deceptively concealing the original source of the money.  For example, the robbers could steal money, put it in the dryer, their inside man in the bank would retrieve it, he would then provide them with means to withdraw it from the bank somehow (falsifying the books at the same time).  This way, the robbers have an outwardly-appearing legitimate income of money (from the bank), when it was really sourced from the robberies.
    kiki180703tallblocktooSumoLegoGothamConstructionCo
    dirty money has to get washed!
    kiki180703
  • CalvCalv Central EnglandMember Posts: 856
    I finished building the Brick Bank last night and it joined the row of modulars next to the 10185 Green Grocer which overpowers it and makes the Brick Bank look too low. I then got thinking about how I could make it more impressive and think the roof needs improving. My plan is to add a Mansard roof of similar design to the Pet Shop roof and see how that looks. The green window frames in the skylight will be reused on the top storey.

Other than this I think the Brick Bank is a nice model and a worthy addition to the line - just don't put it next to the Green Grocer!

• Patrik78Patrik78 Member Posts: 142
    edited January 2016
    Still trying to resist the purchase until double VIP points in April, I am having a hard time...
    FollowsClosely
  • tallblocktootallblocktoo CanadaMember Posts: 497
    edited January 2016
    @Patrik78 I am sure there will be other large sets you can purchase at that point.  :)  You know you want it. 
  • TheMaker37TheMaker37 Norfolk,VaMember Posts: 482
    Money laundering is all about deceptively concealing the original source of the money.  For example, the robbers could steal money, put it in the dryer, their inside man in the bank would retrieve it, he would then provide them with means to withdraw it from the bank somehow (falsifying the books at the same time).  This way, the robbers have an outwardly-appearing legitimate income of money (from the bank), when it was really sourced from the robberies.
    So what do you think about the secret access through the vent. How does that fit in?
    This knowledge from expierence?  Looks like the beginnings of a Lego RICO case..
    FollowsCloselykiki180703MorkMan
  • DedgeckoDedgecko Seattle, WAMember Posts: 799
    @Patrik78 I am sure there will be other large sets you can purchase at that point.  :)  You know you want it. 
    Yeah, buy a second BB!  To make the first one taller!
  • Patrik78Patrik78 Member Posts: 142
    edited January 2016

Actually the other big set I intend to buy - GBHQ is the root of the issue and not the solution what other set to buy in April :) This set forces me to try to maximize the VIP point gain as much as possible to purchase it, it is indeed a bit way too much pricey...

tallblocktoo
  • odueckodueck Member Posts: 48
    I finished building the Brick Bank last night and it's quite impressive. The exterior detail with minimal colour variation is very good.

A lot of comments have been made about the size of the building. I haven't placed it alongside my other modulars yet but on its own I think the size is fine. I also think that the range in heights of the various modulars is quite realistic - most streets don't have completely uniform building heights and having a range of 2-4 stories adds that element of realism.

What I'd really like to see next is a residential building, preferably a full-width three-story mansion.
    catwranglerkiki180703tallblocktooAdzbadboy
    yea.

a massive residental mansion would be awesome.

just massive and big!
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    odueck said:

I also think that the range in heights of the various modulars is quite realistic - most streets don't have completely uniform building heights and having a range of 2-4 stories adds that element of realism.

Agreed and I have no issue with varying sizes. Just charge me less for the smaller buildings.
    jadeirenekiki180703
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,116
    dougts said:
    odueck said:

I also think that the range in heights of the various modulars is quite realistic - most streets don't have completely uniform building heights and having a range of 2-4 stories adds that element of realism.

Agreed and I have no issue with varying sizes. Just charge me less for the smaller buildings.

@dougts But how are you defining "smaller"? By height alone? That isn't a meaningful metric IMHO, given the differences in brick count, interior detail etc etc etc

@everyone How do they compare by mass? That's about the only metric that we don't have! :-)
    brumey said:
    a massive residental mansion would be awesome.

Cough cough... Haunted House... cough cough

dougts said:
    I'm a Lego apologist, but fat chance on lower prices.  We'll never see a modular less that $159.99 again.

The Fairground Mixer is $149.99.  I love it, but it doesn't compare to similarly priced sets.
    @dougts But how are you defining "smaller"? By height alone? That isn't a meaningful metric IMHO, given the differences in brick count, interior detail etc etc etc

@everyone How do they compare by mass? That's about the only metric that we don't have! :-)
    I would like to know the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.
    GothamConstructionCotamamahmVorpalRyukiki180703catwranglerDedgeckoGoldchains
    SumoLego said:

I would like to know the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.
    Stop! Stop! Now you're just being silly... ;-)
    SumoLegotallblocktooVorpalRyukiki180703
  • BrikingBriking Dorset, UKMember Posts: 748
    ^ African or European?
    MattsWhatSumoLegoMrJ_NYVorpalRyukiki180703OldfanDedgeckoGoldchains
    dougts said:
    odueck said:

According to BrickLink, the weights of the sets are as follows:

#10182 Cafe Corner: 2591g (original price: $139.99; adjusted price: $166.09)
    #10185 Green Grocer: 3180g (original price: $149.99; adjusted price: $171.38)
    #10190 Market Street: 1780g (original price: $89.99; adjusted price: $106.77)
    #10197 Fire Brigade: 2761g (original price: $149.99; adjusted price: $171.99)
    #10211 Grand Emporium: 2903g (original price: $149.99; adjusted price: $169.21)
    #10218 Pet Shop: 2820g (original price: $149.99; adjusted price: $164.23)
    #10224 Town Hall: 3825g (original price: $199.99; adjusted price: $214.30)
    #10232 Palace Cinema: 2770g (original price: $149.99; adjusted price: $158.39)
    #10243 Parisian Restaurant: 2610g (original price: $159.99; adjusted price: $166.45)
    #10246 Detective's Office: 2624g (original price: $159.99; adjusted price: $163.51)
    #10251 Brick Bank: 2745g (original price: $169.99)

Now granted, these weights are of the full sealed box (with bags and instructions), not of the assembled sets. If anybody with the means wishes to weigh all the sets be my guest. Still, from these weights, it seems like most of the modular buildings are heavier than Cafe Corner and lighter than Green Grocer. The only exceptions are Town Hall (bigger, heavier, and more expensive than any of the others) and Market Street, (smaller, lighter, and less expensive than any of the others).

Price per gram after adjusting for inflation is as follows:

CC: $.0641 (#11 — highest price per gram)
    GG: $.0539 (#1 — lowest price per gram)
    MS: $.0600 (#6)
    FB: $.0623 (#8)
    GE: $.0583 (#5)
    PS: $.0582 (#4)
    TH: $.0560 (#2)
    PC: $.0572 (#3)
    PR: $.0638 (#10)
    DO: $.0623 (#9)
    BB: $.0619 (#7)
    pharmjodMattsWhatPitfall69FollowsCloselyGoldchains
    A coconut weighs approximately 680 grams.
    VorpalRyukiki180703JELJ1SGoldchains
    edited January 2016
    @Aanchir thanks for that! So, I think that we can quite clearly see that by this metric, the newer modulars are generally slightly pricier per gram, but by only a very small margin of around 1c / g between #1 GG and #11 CC. It does seem like the newer modulars have a slight increase, compared to earlier ones, but it's not clearcut. The best value seem to be those released in the middle, the GE, PS, TH and PC.
    So there you have it. We're all no closer to a definitive answer, but I do think that this does all go to show that you can make any judgement you like, based upon whatever metric you choose to rate highest: height, mass, brick count, area, etc.
    JELJ1S
    Briking said:
    ^ African or European?
    The African Swallow is non-migratory...
    VorpalRyukiki180703pharmjodJELJ1SDedgeckoGoldchains
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,886
    Well played sir
    SumoLego
    edited January 2016
    MattsWhat said:
    SumoLego said:
    Briking said:
    ^ African or European?
    The African Swallow is non-migratory...
    I can't help but feel that this comment is just meant to be inflammatory. The original question was quite clearly about air speed and both species fly (and therefore have an air speed). Migration patterns are not important to that, so can we keep it on topic and pleasant please.
    Also, how unladen? Do you want the information of a swallow with an empty bowel? 
    European Swallows migrate with bellies full of elderberries.  African Swallows store theirs in shrubbery.
    catwranglerkiki180703VorpalRyuBumblepantsRainstorm26Goldchains
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,242
    Aanchir said:

Now granted, these weights are of the full sealed box (with bags and instructions), not of the assembled sets. If anybody with the means wishes to weigh all the sets be my guest. Still, from these weights, it seems like most of the modular buildings are heavier than Cafe Corner and lighter than Green Grocer. The only exceptions are Town Hall (bigger, heavier, and more expensive than any of the others) and Market Street, (smaller, lighter, and less expensive than any of the others).

The box and instruction weights are on Bricklink too so you could get them down to brick+bags if you wanted to, and the bags are negligible.
    graphite said:
    Aanchir said:

The box and instruction weights are on Bricklink too so you could get them down to brick+bags if you wanted to, and the bags are negligible.
    That's more work than I'd like to put in, even being prone to spend half an hour or longer tallying up these kinds of statistics! If anybody else wants to make those calculations, be my guest!
  • sklambsklamb speaker of American EnglishMember Posts: 485

Personally, I think the calculations already provided by @Aanchir are quite sufficient. The theme that really needs price-per-gram, IMO, is Architecture. How much of the Trevi Fountain's low ppp is due to the fact that it's mostly 1x1s?

Of course migratory status is connected to air speed! Anything that migrates needs an optimized flight process. Optimized cargo-capacity and jettison method as well!

SumoLego
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,266
    Jettison method is simple, they just grip it by the husk...
    SumoLegoxiahna
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    Are the instructions comparable in size/weight?  They can be quite heavy. I wonder if the weight differences would be similar if only bricks were weighed.
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,487
    #5956 weighs less than 680g - MOC to replace the zeppelin with a swallow?
  • sklambsklamb speaker of American EnglishMember Posts: 485
    VorpalRyu said:
    Jettison method is simple, they just grip it by the husk...

Not the sort of jettison I had in mind, I'm afraid.

Also, the more bricks, the heavier the instructions. Roughly speaking, at least.