Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Scottish LUG

Comments

• Lego_StarLego_Star ... in a galaxy far, far away.Member Posts: 2,147
    @warrenelsmore That sounds promising!
    Although I'm quite sure Andrew and co will miss you at the store.

Thanks for posting about the Peartree. I didn't forget you told me about that at Brick but good to have a reminder all the same.
  • nexandernexander Glasgow Member Posts: 906
    Well I have 'booked' the morning with the wife, who wasn't over pleased with me using one of my first new weekends of freedom on Lego. She thought I was going to take her away when I asked what we were doing! Looks like I will be buying her something that day.
    Lego_Star
  • rawbobrawbob UKMember Posts: 535
    Count me in!
    CommanderRaabLego_Star
  • GoldJonoGoldJono Aberdeen, UKMember Posts: 217
    Count me in as well, I'd prefer the morning
    CommanderRaabLego_Star
  • scabechildscabechild UKMember Posts: 14
    I will be there. Not sure about time yet.  
    Lego_Star
  • DougTemplarDougTemplar Edinburgh, ScotlandMember Posts: 622
    Can't believe I've missed this thread until now! Anyway I can't make the Meet up in Glasgow on the 6th but I wondered if there are plans in Edinburgh since @warrenelsmore I believe you have your display etc at the Museum of Scotland soon?
    Actually I might be free on the 6th after all. Depending on negotiating transport with my wife so she isn't car less.
    CommanderRaab
  • CommanderRaabCommanderRaab Edinburgh, ScotlandMember Posts: 654
    @DougTemplar we will probably catch the train through and when I say we I mean me and @khmellymel
    khmellymelkiki180703
    @DougTemplar we will probably catch the train through and when I say we I mean me and @khmellymel
    I'm out in Corstorphine so it's actually just as swift for me to go get the Bus - rather than go into Haymarket and the get the train and then get back from Haymarket on the way back.

What time is everyone thinking of going to meet?
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,292
    I've got a new job since you left, and it includes weekend work :(  I may not be scheduled though, so I'll try to say that I'd like the day off but as it's a new job I don't know if I can!
    ^^ I get the feeling morning is best. I'm negotiating the kids for the morning and there is more chance of there being brick banks in stock! Expect the shelves to be a bit lighter in the afternoon for big sets.
    edited January 2016
    @DougTemplar Last meetup we went to store when it opened, and after a jolly to whsmith for polys we went for breakfast. Some went back to store for more browsing/chatting and to catch others we knew might be in later on to say hello.

Best thing is to state your own preference, morning or afternoon for example. Or, I have until 2pm because I need to be doing x y z. Majority was for morning last time round, could be the same this time, or it might not, won't know until everybody says how they are fixed.

Me - I've hedged my bets - I'm around all day until about an hour or so after the store closes. That way hopefully I can catch up with everyone and make the most out of my train fare.

@khmellymel, would your work hours on the Saturday rule out the whole day or could you make a meetup later on? 

Just a thought... :o)
    Good points I suspect morning is best for me. I'll probably be taking the bus as I said and will have a big roller bag or similar to take stuff back.
    Lego_Starkiki180703
    if any of you are near a Tesco, myself and @DougTemplar are looking for #75102 Poe's X-Wing and #75101 TIE Fighter. They are apparently reduced in some Tescos to £17 and £15 respectively. If anyone can get hold of them and post or bring to the AFOL meet on Feb 6th we would appreciate it.

Thanks for posting that @rawbob I forgot about putting something in here. I should add i'd only really want those sets if they are the silly low price from Tesco. It's the only way I can justify it to my wallet.
    CommanderRaab
    While we are on the topic of Scottish meet ups and swaps perhaps. Ages ago I was on the lookout for a Joker Bumper Car but my brother actually got me one as a present! At the time I was looking for a good home for my Mini Cooper Car Poly #40109 and was offering to swap... but since I don't need the Bumper Car I still have the Mini Cooper.
    If anyone is after it more than happy to entertain offers or indeed swap for a number of the last few minifig ranges.

Also have a few extra of the #5002126 Martian Manhunters I'm happy to entertain offers for.

Hey guys
    I am back in the UK and looking forward to our next AFOL day. If anyone does happen to find one of those SWTFA sets at silly low prices then please add me to the list after @rawbob & @DougTemplar.
    Looking forward to seeing you all soon
    Robyn x
    does anyone have anything they are looking to trade on the 6th of Feb? I should have a clear out of my stuff to see if it is of any use to you guys.
    ^ always :)
    I will get looking then :)
    edited January 2016
    Won't know my schedule until this weekend... if I can't make it, can I post my Duplo calendar coupon to any of you to pick up for me?  I've now got THREE little nieces or nephews (one due this summer!) to bring into LEGO! :D  Or @CommanderRaab can I drop it off for you at some point?
    CommanderRaabLego_Starkiki180703
    ^ of course. I owe you a cup of tea at least ;)
    As long as I'm not moving house that weekend I will have a pile of S14 cmfs to trade
    Has anyone tried Tesco Corstorphine for the recent good deals?
    Has anyone tried Tesco Corstorphine for the recent good deals?
    Didn't see anything on last trip. Taking the kids this morning/lunch so will check then.

Forgot to report - only Mixels reduced at Tesco Corstorphine I got 10 packs for kids party bags and left the rest so about half a box.
    When I went back on Sunday the Mixels were all gone. Did find a Princess Jasmine set for my girls for £16 down from £20.
    While we are discussing the possibility of a Scottish LUG - could someone point me to what the rules are for forming a LUG (if there are any) etc.

• LegoAvonLegoAvon AberdeenshireMember Posts: 10
    Hey Folks, I'm an AFOL from Scotland and a member of Brickish, sadly I'm working that weekend. I hope to see some of you at the other Lego events in Scotland this year. I'm planning on going to a Lego fest in Perth 13th Feb, Lego trains in Glenrothes 14th May, And a Lego Fest/build day in Aberdeenshire  July 16th. and hopefully a couple of others that are in the pipeline just waiting for conformation.  It would be nice to see some new folk at the stuff we do in Scotland. If you would like some other info on Lego events in Scotland let me know. thanks
  • William_TownsleyWilliam_Townsley Perth, Scotland Member Posts: 880
    There's an event going on in Perth cool 
  • warrenelsmorewarrenelsmore Member Posts: 77
    And once breakfast is finished, you're all welcome to come and help ;-) ..... http://www.st-enoch.com/stores/the-big-valentines-build/?portfolioID=2495

I can post this now as St Enochs have published it! Kitty and I will be in Glasgow but need to be getting ready for this which is why we can't be at the Brand Store in the morning. Hopefully we might see some of you though as we do have rather a lot of bricks to put together in two days......! 
    Lego_Starkhmellymel
    @warrenelsmore Perhaps some of us could be stand ins later in the day (there's definitely still time for some Warren and Kitty facemasks from mask-arade, lol) so that yourself and or Kitty could get a run at the store. I'm always surprised at how quickly a big build can happen.

How large is the heart?
  • warrenelsmorewarrenelsmore Member Posts: 77
    Lunch is always good :-) It's going to be about 1.5m tall when finished - give or take.
    Lego_Star

"  Lego fest in Perth, Saturday 13 / 2/16.  All AFOLs welcome.  Please bring MOCs if you can. Venue:  St John's Episcopal church centre, Princes street, Perth, PH2 8LJ.  Time: 10.30 to 3.30 for AFOLs  - 1.00pm to 3.00pm for Public

LegoAvon said:

"  Lego fest in Perth, Saturday 13 / 2/16.  All AFOLs welcome.  Please bring MOCs if you can. Venue:  St John's Episcopal church centre, Princes street, Perth, PH2 8LJ.  Time: 10.30 to 3.30 for AFOLs  - 1.00pm to 3.00pm for Public

I completely missed that. Sorry I can't make it.

• alanmillaralanmillar Aberdeen Member Posts: 1
    Would be up for meeting up but not sure Glasgow is do-able for me at short notice as we live in Aberdeen, definitely keep me in the loop though.
    @alanmillar Hello :o) The plan is for everyone (who wants to and can) to meet in Glasgow next Saturday Feb 6th coinciding with visiting the Brand Store. So far most people have preferred the morning, but that doesn't mean that an afternoon meetup isn't possible too. For a morning meetup, a visit to the store then breakfast. Last time some of us went back in the afternoon to catch others later on. Lunch is a possibility too.

You'd be more than welcome to join us, just let us know which is best for you, morning or afternoon. :o)
  • thebeermonkeythebeermonkey GlasgowMember Posts: 390
    I'm now a morning person for the 6th. So, I'll be up with the lark and will see the AM AFOLS and the breakfast builders. Hopefully catch the afternoon AFOLers another time.
    Lego_Star
    Can't make it for this Saturday, working 12-4!  Will try to make the next one.
    Sorry to hear that. What time are we meeting on Saturday? Between 9 and 10am?
    I'm due to arrive (weather and traffic permitting) at the Bus Station around 9:25 so was planning on going direct to the store for 9:30am opening.

CommanderRaabLego_Star
    I'm looking out for sat. Away down south again for most of the week again with work and its not fair me leaving the missus again. Might change but doubtfull!
    I will probably take a train so aim to be there for about 9:30. If anyone wants to do some trading etc. then let me know, I am after some CMFs and always on the lookout for items on my wanted list.
  • adventure_aladventure_al Scotland Member Posts: 243
    Only just stumbled back on the thread. Can't make the 6th but if there is plans for an Edinburgh meet soon I'm interested. As mentioned lego exhibition at museum and all.

forgive my naivety but what actually goes on at one of these meets? Is it mostly for trading parts and figs? Just an excuse to hang out? Do we tend just to go to lego store etc chat about sets or does it end up with a bite to eat/coffee?

im totally new to this but would be cool to meet like minded lego fans
    Anyone from here going to the LEGO fest in Perth 13th feb ?

Lego fest in Perth, Saturday 13/2/2016.  All AFOLs welcome.  Please bring MOCs if you can.   Venue:  St John's Episcopal church centre, Princes street, Perth, PH2 8LJ.  Time: 10.am to 4pm for Afols - Please let me know you are attending so I can pass on the numbers to Sian in Perth. 

cheers
    Steve
    edited February 2016
    Glasgow Brand Store opens at 9am this Saturday - I phoned to check. Regarding meeting up then...

Seems nobody opted for meeting in the afternoon - possibly with eyes on GB Firehouses and Brick Banks it would seem :o)

Plan is to meet at the store for chat and purchases from 9am onwards for about an hour/hour and a half (or so) then go to breakfast nearby. I'm aware some people have planned to arrive 0930 ish which is fine. I'll confirm later what TeeFury creation I'll be wearing, likely Ghostbusters themed so new faces can spot me.

After breakfast I'm going to head to St Enoch centre where @warrenelsmoreand Kitty are in charge of the Valentine's Day big build there. Possibly free them up for lunch and a run at the store?

If anyone can't make it to the store for 10am but still wants to meet and join in the fun, drop me a pm so I know please? (From 9-10am I'll be multitasking: chatting and looking out for people - after that there's loads of new sets I want a good look at too!)

And if you've just seen this and want to come, it's not too late but do post here to say so or pm, don't want anybody to miss out. I'm planning a little surprise and numbers really help! :o)
    @scabechild Apologies. I missed that you said you weren't sure what time you'd be at the Glasgow store. Are you still coming and do you know when? :o)

Last time some of us went back to catch up with other people at the store in the afternoon. 
    ARGH store opens at 9am? If I had known that I would have taken an earlier bus. Anyone willing to physically hold a Ghostbusters Firehouse and a Brick Bank for me? Don't pay just hold them so I can get them on arrival  and I'll pay then?
  • BOBJACK_JACKBOBBOBJACK_JACKBOB ScotlandMember Posts: 553
    @DougTemplar I'm sure the manager will be ok with that. What time do you expect to be there?
    Around 9:30am depending on traffic and buses from Edinburgh. Should one call ahead you think @BOBJACK_JACKBOB or should I just trust my fellow Scots AFOL (or should that be AFOLS with S being Scotland)