Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Lego string help.

KingDaveKingDave UKMember Posts: 973

Does anyone know of a good replacement for the standard Lego thin string/thick thread? I am talking about the standard black string commonly found in normal city cranes and fire truck reels like the real in #4020 or the crane in #7898 .

Does anyone know the gauge/type of string and maybe a good place to get a replacement real?

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,391
    I bought some on eBay about five years ago, I think it was just called carpet thread for sewing carpets along their joins.
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    edited January 2016
    KingDave said:

Does anyone know the gauge/type of string and maybe a good place to get a replacement real?

It's mostly multifilament polypropylene yarn.

There are various thickness - to get it right for a particular model, look up the part number here on Brickset.
  • BobflipBobflip Member Posts: 685
    I recently bought a meter's worth from this place:

http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=JuergenL

He has it listed as x77, though I suspect it's probably a standard but matching type of thread he's bought.

Unfortunately though, I've been unable to find information regarding string thickness or the length that went with each set. I have a 379 Shell Service Station I'm finishing off but just need to add the pump pipes now!
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,564
    Or go to a local yarn/clothing material type place with some and someone may be able to pinpoint it.
    The issue I have with those selling it on BL and eBay is that they are likely marking it up for themselves to make money, which is fine, but it make not be right (hard to often tell when looking at a photo) and I just would rather go hit a fabric store and ask for their help. I think they also would have a close one to the heavy string used on the Pirate ships for the sails.
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    Bobflip said:

He has it listed as x77, though I suspect it's probably a standard but matching type of thread he's bought.
    Bricklink uses x77 as generic string. Sometimes they use a suffix when they think they know which thickness it is, but it's quite often wrong. And I doubt whether any distinction is made between 1.2 mm and 1.3 mm diameters (there are others).
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,453
    Bobflip said:
    I recently bought a meter's worth from this place:

http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=JuergenL

Unfortunately though, I've been unable to find information regarding string thickness or the length that went with each set. I have a 379 Shell Service Station I'm finishing off but just need to add the pump pipes now!
    That string is definitely the thick woven type.