Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Predictions on Discontinuing Sets and their Secondary Market Value

Comments

• SuperTrampSuperTramp City 17Member Posts: 1,021
    Don't know if it means much but PS has been removed from the John Lewis site. its also been sold out for quite a while Smyths and TRU. 
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,079
    SumoLego said:
    ^ That doesn't necessarily mean anyone has purchased one for that price.
    Well you´re right, but i´ve also checked Ebay and there were a lot "sold Items" around 300-330€ so i guess 300€ is a reasonable price (for Germany/Europe) right now!

• madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,233
    Diggydoes said:
    SumoLego said:
    Well you´re right, but i´ve also checked Ebay and there were a lot "sold Items" around 300-330€ so i guess 300€ is a reasonable price (for Germany/Europe) right now!

I think @SumoLego's point is that generally whenever someone says they are on eBay/BrickLink/etc they are 'going for' x Dollars/pounds/euros when many times that is what folks are trying to sell them for, but rarely do we see folks say '..on eBay I checked 'Sold items' and it is going for X'
    SprinkleOtterkiki180703catwrangler
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,079
    Diggydoes said:
    SumoLego said:

I think @SumoLego's point is that generally whenever someone says they are on eBay/BrickLink/etc they are 'going for' x Dollars/pounds/euros when many times that is what folks are trying to sell them for, but rarely do we see folks say '..on eBay I checked 'Sold items' and it is going for X'
    I know, i´ve been on this board for almost 4yrs and been following this thread since then. Especially with rare sets it´s often no indicator what the prices are that are listed on BL/Ebay, that´s why i wrote later that i´ve also checked ebay for "sold items" and came to the conclusion that (at least in Europe) the current going rate for the UCS X-Wing is around 300€ which i think is already a nice price hike (don´t know if that´s the right word)!
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    Okay, I'm going to apologize in advance for what I can only call a "rant" about my recent opinions (and yes, they are just that) on the long-term view of the "collectors market." Please take with a grain of salt, and remember that I love this community... Here goes:.....

I love collecting. LOVE IT. But whenever I see people on this forum and elsewhere show photos of their collection, it is always a huge mess of sets shoved onto a shelf with 20 others sets, boxes shoved into corners, and every square inch filled with collectibles. These people are drowning in things to collect. And their passion is going to hit a limit in shelf space and funds. 

I didn't consider your post as a rant, but more a reality.  Thing is, people will do all sorts of illogical things on behalf of collecting.  I had an uncle (passed away last year) that was into die cast cars and trucks.  Some were displayed, some just in boxes, some tucked away.  All had a high value.  And, most of them were cared for.  Good thing for him, they were a lot smaller than most LEGO sets.  :-)

There are downsides to collecting, especially when the collectible is a bit large (but, LEGOS are not as large as automobiles).  But, there are a lot of pluses too.  I watch TV shows where people hoard cars and many of them are sitting on gold mines.  The same might be said for many LEGO collectors.  If they ever get out of the hobby they can do so easily enough and at a huge profit.  (As I look at my sealed UCS Falcon and Green Grocer.)  I may or may not open them or build them.  And, that becomes an even more difficult decision as sealed sets become more rare and increase in value.  And, yeah, I have trouble storing all the sets.  But, I will cut some loose now and again to make room for others.  And, in the end I enjoy it.  Now, if it ever becomes a burden or not fun... things would be a lot different.
    brickupdatecatwrangler
  • juggles7juggles7 United StatesMember Posts: 452
    As of this moment, the Tumbler is showing as sold out at USA Shop at Home. Bet it stays that way.
    That is a shame I was looking to get a couple but wanted to wait til the next pay period.
    Then again what are the odds that LEGO does another Batmobile for the Batman Vs Superman movie.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,923
    ^They are but it's a typical Juniorized version of the Affleck Batmobile. Someday we'll get a UCS version of that perhaps. Plus there's a Batman TV show Batcave coming - not sure if a car is included or not.
  • MrJ_NYMrJ_NY A flick missle away from Brickagara FallsMember Posts: 592
    There would have to be a vehicle included,what's Batman supposed to say? "To the bus stop Robin!"
    iso3200LostInTranslation
  • monstblitzmonstblitz Hornell, NYMember Posts: 632
    juggles7 said:
    As of this moment, the Tumbler is showing as sold out at USA Shop at Home. Bet it stays that way.
    Thanks for the heads up!  Thought I had more time on this.  I see it also says "retiring soon" which it didn't say when I checked a few weeks ago.  Just picked one up on Amazon.  I'm sure those will go soon now that USA Shop is sold out.
    prevere said:
    ^They are but it's a typical Juniorized version of the Affleck Batmobile. Someday we'll get a UCS version of that perhaps. Plus there's a Batman TV show Batcave coming - not sure if a car is included or not.
    I was referring to a 'UCS' version of the new Batmobile actually. It would make sense to retire the last one if a new one is coming. I did pick up a Tumbler on Amazon though last night.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,923
    ^Kind of thinking the Batwing or Batcave will be next for a UCS treatment. Of course, we do already have a UCS LEGO Movie Batwing available, instructions created by
    Brickmasta.

monstblitzkiki180703juggles7danstraindepotAdeelZubair
  • vaspvasp USAMember Posts: 73
    Still about 3k+ tumblers left at  target
    ^That is very interesting. This tells me maybe more resellers are buying a couple Tumblers, and less are going head first into the Tumbler investment pool. If that is the case, the price on it could rise dramatically when the majority sells out at say, $450.

I myself bought 2 and am in this boat. But you may also think it's all a bunch of hippy dippy baloney.
    jlpythonkiki180703
    Well @Adzbadboy already has shown the new batcave complete with 60's batmobile.. First Super hero set I have been excited about for a long time.

As for Tumbler I picked up two from Amazon as Amazon still has them. Guessing they will sell out at Amazon first for those who do not have to account for tax in their state for Amazon purchases
    preverekiki180703
    edited January 2016
    ^Those states still exist? And yes, that Batcave is exciting. Thinking about the impact on #6860 (a wildly awful set)...from an investment perspective, it's pretty much screwed to cap at $100-$125, and now, looks like a Juniors set compared with the 60s Batcave reveal.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    After seeing the Classic Batcave, my first thought was about #6860 and if it would transplant well into the new Cave. My feeling is that yes, it would be a nice compliment with a little mod to extend the footprint and make space for it just behind the middle section with computers.
    MrJ_NY
  • Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
    Does anyone have a feel of what is going on with the DS #10188?  Seems like it is gone and everyone is waiting to see what the new version will bring. 
    Does anyone have a feel of what is going on with the DS #10188?  Seems like it is gone and everyone is waiting to see what the new version will bring. 
    I think people are holding their breath. If it is not like #10188 (I'm guessing it is not) and more of a model like DSII was, it will rise quickly in price. Only time, and spy shots, will tell though.

brickupdatekiki180703
  • urieluriel CroatiaMember Posts: 192
    #66521 any thoughts on the city value pack sets? they are 91.5 euro here and I'm considering 1 or 2 as an investement
    Next domino fell regarding Tumbler in the US: Amazon is now sold out of them. Guessing Target is next.
    FollowsCloselykiki180703pharmjodPitfall69
  • brumeybrumey AustriaMember Posts: 1,002
    ^ Right now $200+S&H (50 at $4) with a seller with enough quantity
    thats already pretty cheap!
    Looks like Target.com is the only game in town for Tumblers in the US. At least online, I'm sure some flagship stores for retailers may have them still and with the brick and mortar LEGO stores.
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,258
    ^Regarding this, the sets I've gotten from Target have been horribly packed, AND they are putting labels directly on the set box. Sometimes they come off, sometimes not, but nothing can undo the crushing. Caveat emptor. 
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,757
    Target isn't the best place to get them- mine came wrapped with dozens of bubbles on all sides, except for the bottom. All those bubbles don't help when the bottom of the box is mutilated...
  • tick1970tick1970 LondonMember Posts: 117
    Well Smyths might have Tumblers in stock in a week but think it's a wait and see if site is accurate
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    Target isn't the best place to get them- mine came wrapped with dozens of bubbles on all sides, except for the bottom. All those bubbles don't help when the bottom of the box is mutilated...
    Yea, Target certainly doesn't ship sets very well, especially the big ones.  The only place that does a good job for me is [email protected]
  • monstblitzmonstblitz Hornell, NYMember Posts: 632
    Lego Store at the Tyson's Corner mall had at least one Tumbler that I saw if anyone in the DC area is looking. 
    Dougout said:
    Yea, Target certainly doesn't ship sets very well, especially the big ones.  The only place that does a good job for me is [email protected]
    Same with me, unless if you're buying Bionicle sets. LEGO can't seem to figure out how to ship those flimsy boxes without ruining them.
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 939
    Dougout said:
    Same with me, unless if you're buying Bionicle sets. LEGO can't seem to figure out how to ship those flimsy boxes without ruining them.
    This year's Bionicle sets actually seem to use thicker, sturdier cardboard for the boxes, which is a relief. The same applies to the Nexo Knights Ultimate figures, whose boxes are a lot more durable than last year's Ninjago Airjitzu sets.
    Aanchirkiki180703
    Lyichir said:
    Dougout said:
    This year's Bionicle sets actually seem to use thicker, sturdier cardboard for the boxes, which is a relief. The same applies to the Nexo Knights Ultimate figures, whose boxes are a lot more durable than last year's Ninjago Airjitzu sets.
    That's good. I haven't been able to see the new boxes (almost no stores near me have the new sets- they're still restocking from Christmas).
  • 3stackshs3stackshs Member Posts: 299
    edited January 2016
    Word is that there will be an Ecto 1 based on the new Ghostbusters coming out.  What are the chances #21108 remains after this is released?  I can't see them having both on the shelves at the same time.
  • tick1970tick1970 LondonMember Posts: 117
    3stackshs said:
    Word is that there will be an Ecto 1 based on the new Ghostbusters coming out.  What are the chances #21108 remains after this is released?  I can't see them having both on the shelves at the same time.
    Am sure it will be a different look bit exact same model plus will be the female characters so ecto 1 will still be a good but and retire naturally
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,318
    edited January 2016
    3stackshs said:
    Well there's one set I will not be buying & if anyone gets it for me, I'll be asking for the receipt. 
    xiahnakiki180703pharmjod
    edited January 2016
    tick1970 said:
    3stackshs said:
    Am sure it will be a different look bit exact same model plus will be the female characters so ecto 1 will still be a good but and retire naturally
    It is not the exact same model as in the original movie. The 'reboot' GB Ecto 1 apparently is some mid eighties Caddy hearse. So I would not be surprised to see the Original Ecto 1 gone in order to get poeple to buy the reboot stuff.
    xiahnakiki180703
    It is not the exact same model. The reboot GB ecto 1 apparently is some mid eighties Caddy hearse. So I would not be surprised to see the Original Ecto 1 gone in order to get poeple to buy the reboot stuff.
    True story
    Amanda1983
    at least they killed the Goonies reboot

VorpalRyuxiahnakiki180703FollowsCloselyDougoutexciter1preveredougts
  • xiahnaxiahna Member Posts: 156
    O.o ... GAH! Wtf?! Seriously? This has to be photoshoped right? That light is bigger than their heads. And the hell is up with the boots? Who ya gunna call? NO ONE coz I'm staying home. Sad, just sad. As for the potential Lego sets, not in my house. No room for this... I don't even know what to call this!
    VorpalRyukiki180703pharmjod
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,698
    When do you guys reckon the #75059 - Sandcrawler will be retired? I'm thinking of picking it up as my first UCS Star Wars set before it goes.
    SumoLegokiki180703
  • Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
    That GB pic looks like some bad Halloween costumes. 
    madforLEGO
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    Adzbadboy said:
    When do you guys reckon the #75059 - Sandcrawler will be retired? I'm thinking of picking it up as my first UCS Star Wars set before it goes.
    I would give it till May at least since that would be the 2 year mark.  It's a real good set, loads of improvements over #10144
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,698
    Dougout said:
    Adzbadboy said:
    I would give it till May at least since that would be the 2 year mark.  It's a real good set, loads of improvements over #10144
    I was originally planning to get it in May on sale or waiting for the shopping day in May.
    edited January 2016
    I think I just saw the highlight of the Angry birds sets: A bun for the Sausage/hotdog:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/tormentalous/23888446509/in/photostream/

Pitfall69
  • kiki180703kiki180703 Montreal, CanadaMember Posts: 1,056
    @madforLEGO I'm sorry but I think everyone (including @SumoLego ) saw it ;)
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 14,383
    This is perhaps the most over-reported news on the forum!
    kiki180703VorpalRyuSprinkleOtter
  • scotty12scotty12 United States, IowaMember Posts: 745
    I ordered a Tumbler from Target (because I had $75 worth of pts/gift cards to burn) and it arrived within 3 days (from IN).  It arrived in a 23x20x10.5 box...so there was no room side to side for it to move around and they had plenty of air pillows on top.  You just hope FedEx doesn't drop kick it to your door.
    kiki180703
    scotty12 said:
    I ordered a Tumbler from Target (because I had $75 worth of pts/gift cards to burn) and it arrived within 3 days (from IN).  It arrived in a 23x20x10.5 box...so there was no room side to side for it to move around and they had plenty of air pillows on top.  You just hope FedEx doesn't drop kick it to your door.
    Just wondering, how was the tape job?
  • ZonZon Member Posts: 214
    It looks like #76039 is done after a very short ~6 months (sold out in red in the US and listed as retired on [email protected] GB).  A little crazy that it was available such a short time - seems like it should do well down the road.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,916
    Yeah I missed the boat on that one (ant man). I have one. I was literally thinking about buying 5-10 from targets site (had them in my cart) and the next time I looked a day or so later it was gone. it will hit $50 relatively quickly but I'm not sure from there where it goes.