Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Buying LEGO on eBay

CoolsplashCoolsplash Member Posts: 935
I know a lot of sellers now on Ebay ship worldwide. But I wanted to know from veteran Ebayers here on Brickset that will it be a good idea to list items for sale on Ebay? I have a Bricklink store as well but it takes sometime to sell items on BL as not many people buy from there. I know I cannot list items on Amazon as my country is not on the supported list.

Any suggestions????

Comments

• BTHodgemanBTHodgeman Member Posts: 622
    I think your problem will be shipping costs. Bidders tend to look at "price+shipping." In order to make up for higher shipping costs, you'll likely have to sell your stuff for a lower price.

Brent
  • CoolsplashCoolsplash Member Posts: 935
    Shipping tariff is cheap from my country. And its obvious people from the US or UK will never bother to buy from my listing. But I want to target other countries.

I wanted to know if I being in Pakistan could make a list on Ebay, and be able to sell on Ebay. I have access to Paypal. Just wondering if this would work as Ebay is not free.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    Well, it's free to sign up and a very nominal fee to create some listings. The bulk of the fee is applied once you make sales, which will run about 8%-11%, depending on final value, and which includes shipping fees as well. Add the paypal fees on top as well of course.

Your biggest obstacle early will probably be not having any selling/feedback history. That, combined with the Pakistan location, will be a red flag to many potential buyers.
    @dougts, I agree with you. But I guess I will try to give it a shot. But the red flag part is worrying me.
  • BTHodgemanBTHodgeman Member Posts: 622
    @Coolsplash - one way to build feedback initially is as a buyer. When you buy items, the sell can/should also leave you feedback.

Also, perhaps start with lower-value sets. I'd be much more comfortable buying a $20 item than a $300 item from a seller with no/low feedback.

I don't think many people even look at feedback anymore. eBay and PayPal have very effective buyer protection policies that remove almost all risk for the buyer. That being said, you will need to be diligent in making sure that you send all orders with delivery confirmation and/or signature required (mostly for large orders) so you don't get burned. If you can't prove that the buyer received the item, eBay/PayPal almost always sides with the buyer.

Brent
  • OdinduskOdindusk Member Posts: 763
    @Coolsplash - I'm not sure what shipping services are available where you live, but try to only ship via one where tracking is provided the entire way, and always insure.

As an occasional seller, I find it very difficult to make much profit on sales because of the enormous shipping costs. People want cheap, but it's certainly NOT cheap to ship properly and to protect yourself.
    @BTHodgeman I agree with you totally. And I used to buy from Ebay before I found Bricklink. I managed to go to a rating of 25 or so back then. But it was all indirect method. I asked someone to pay for me on Paypal, then I used to send him money every few months, was a long cycle. But yes, due to Ebay and Paypal buyer protection it can work and as we know Paypal always takes sides with the Buyer :P

Working on Bricklink I have had my history with Paypal and have learned a lesson to be careful whom I sell the stuff to.

@Odindusk, I agree with you as well. We have Postal service and then FedEx, DHL and other courier services but Postal service is cheap and reliable. And in postal we have Land/Sea, and Air with tracking service.

• warlock1945warlock1945 Member Posts: 1
    @ coolsplash: I am interested too. I do have 550 positive feedback on ebay and with a paypal account. These days in Pakistan, and if u r in Pakistan, lets talk about it. email me on [email protected]
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    Maybe there is an internal market in Pakistan? That would be a good way to build up your feedback in a way which is easier for people to buy (percieved lower risk) and then you could move to international selling once you have more feedback.
    Whoa hey @warlock1945, I am honoured to meet a fellow countryman :)

@Si_Dorking_Surrey_UK, there is a very small market in Pakistan. Problems are serious price hikes and less availability. For instance, I have been selling Ninjago here and other parts of the world since over a year now, and just saw the red theme surfacing locally 3 months back. Cannot forget that moment, this toy vendor is a very good friend of mine and knows what I do. So he was showing the Ninjago, PQ, Cars 1 and Hero Factory 2.0 sets to my son. And my son was like 'Don't you have anything new in Ninjago, my father got these for me ages ago, and we already have the whole PQ range, I don't like Cars 1, and I just got the first Hero Factory 3.0 sets' I felt SO damn proud that day :D

But, in Pakistan there is no online market for Lego, just very very few sellers like me spread out, and trying to make things happen.
  • AvengerDrAvengerDr Member Posts: 453
    edited January 2012
    I'm going to tell you what happened to me just today. I had bought on eBay a Star Wars Tantive IV. That auction stated that there were no minifigures there. Okay fine. So I was looking to buy them individually so that I could have a complete set. I decided to start from the rarest one: Captain Antilles. I happened to find an auction on ebay of such a minifigure within the EU. I won the auction but when I received the item I realized that the head of the minifig had been swapped for the much more common Rebel Trooper one (#sw187).
    After a few email exchanges the seller requested that I send the minifig back at my expenses. Clearly, this is absurd, as the price of the international air mail with a delivery confirmation exceeds the price that I paid. I asked for the refund of the price that the head alone has on bricklink but he didn't agree to that. I don't know how it will end but I believe it is pointless to send it back and end up wasting even more money.

So be careful when you are buying minifigs from ebay. Look very closely at the picture! In my case the picture was a bit blurry and in truth it is hard to distinguish the Rebel Trooper's mouth from Antilles' mouth from a few pixels, unless he is being portrayed with his other mouth, the "worried" one.

But who would have thought that there are people out there swapping rare "heads" for more common ones? Did something like this happen to anyone else?
  • NicksBricksNicksBricks United StatesMember Posts: 210
    File a dispute claim with eBay and/or dispute it with your credit card company. They are there to protect you in the event that something like this occurs.
  • evileddie1313evileddie1313 Member Posts: 126
    Yes, file a case with EBAY customer support. They are slow, but you will eventually get refunded of the cost of the item and shipping costs. Also, the seller can lose their ability to sell anymore items on EBAY.
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    It's not quite the same thing, but I recently sold a Hoth-style Leia on eBay since there was a new one in Echo Base. The thing is... the Hoth Leia from 4504 has the 'bun' haircut. When 8038 came out, I thought that hairstyle worked a lot better for the Hoth costume, so I bought an extra set of that hair, swapped them out and sold the bun hair. So the Leia I was selling was a Leia that didn't actually exist in any set, as she had the hair they're now using in Echo Base, but the older style Leia 'flesh' head. Of course, I also explained this in my item description, and also didn't advertise her as being from any specific set. I haven't had any problems yet, but I also don't think I was misrepresenting anything as seems to have been the case here.
    The issue has been taken to Paypal and Paypal sent me the automated email asking to fill in the tracking code of the letter in order to respond to the claim. But as I stated, to do that I'd have to pay about 7£ which is more than what I originally paid. I'll try to call Paypal tomorrow and see what they say, because the mail states that shipping cost are on my behalf. But in this situation it would really make no sense to pay 7£ to get 7.50 euros back. I'd save more money by buying the head alone on bricklink...
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,416
    You need to talk to Ebay themselves not Paypal and tell them the item is not as described and let them know that return shipping is more than the figure is worth.
  • pcironepcirone Long Island, NYMember Posts: 346
    Ebay US always provides me with a shipping label when I file a SNAD dispute.
    Luckily the seller eventually realized that it would not be practical to send it back and offered a refund for the head's worth on bricklink as I had suggested.. A happy ending :)
    I'll be sure to check every pixel of a minifig's picture in the future, though.
    edited February 2012
    Someone clicked 'buy it now' on ebay, and want to send a driver to collect. I understand that if someone comes to collect it needs to be the buyer and they need to have ID, so should I say that a third party can't collect?
  • NicksBricksNicksBricks United StatesMember Posts: 210
    I don't recommend taking any payment other than Paypal payments.
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    Lol, actually, I would "not" recommend Paypal if the buyer intends to pick it up. Paypal will only protect you with "delivery" confirmation. Otherwise they can use Paypal, pick it up and then say they never got it. And then what do you say?

And if they pay cash, who cares who picks it up???
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,702
    edited February 2012
    Personally, if you've been paid beforehand in either cash or by Paypal, I wouldn't see any reason why you couldn't release the goods to anyone. It's not like a stranger is going to know where you live and decide on the off chance you are going to hand over the same particular item that was won on Ebay. Over the past twelve years, I've sold this that and never had a problem with people collecting from me - items that cost hundreds too. Equally, if they pay in cash, you save on Paypal fees.
  • phantom78phantom78 Member Posts: 23
    as gmpirate said definitely get them to pay cash upon pickup

if they pay via paypal they can make a claim that you never sent it
  • TheBrickLaddTheBrickLadd Chippenham, Wilts, UK.Member Posts: 844
    When I sell anything and people pay cash, I always right out a little receipt (x2) and get them to write their address and sign it after seeing any ID. This way you at least have some evidence that it was collected.
    Thanks for the insight folks.
    I called ebay - and yes, they do have phone numbers! in the UK its 0844 545 8179 or 0845 355 3229

I think the risk is only if the item was offered for post OR collection - if you offer it collection only youre ok, as collection is not covered by the buyer protection programme at all. The 'blag' comes when they collect it and say you posted it and it never came.

Theyve already payed by paypal so Ive cancelled the transaction and in future will either offer collection only, or post only.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    Presumably it would also depend how the collection was arranged/organised. If done via ebay messaging then there would be a record of arranging collection between the buyer and seller. If done over the phone then there is no record and the seller is much more open to being scammed.
    ^ nope, makes no difference.
    ^^ Aye, something similar happened with my sister. She was new to Ebay and sold one of her purses (a nice one) without any delivery confirmation. The buyer questioned its authenticity when she received it and my sister assured her it was real -- it was. So the lady didn't believe my sister (or really did) and filed a claim that she never received it. Paypal disregarded all the emails that clearly showed she did receive it because their was no confirmation.
  • The_Brick_BuilderThe_Brick_Builder Member Posts: 658
    ^^ Yikes! ALWAYS use tracking numbers. There are a ton of dishonest buyers on eBay. I've been scammed multiple times.
  • johnsbricksjohnsbricks Member Posts: 210
    when collecting in person I've always paid cash to save the seller paypal charges....

Now if a transaction is cash on collection then the buyer can't really claim that you haven't sent the item because there is no record of payment.

So far, all the cash on collections I've been involved in have been pleasant transactions with nice people.
    ^^ Never had a problem with cash collection either. Only had one issue when a buyer wouldn't do it -- only wanted to use Paypal. Only one reason comes to mind why they wouldn't . . .
    ^ Didn't have cash readily available and wanted to use their credit card?

As long as 'collection' is offered in the listing and is followed through by the buyer 'checking out' using this option before they physically collect, I see no reason why Paypal couldn't be used. By officially checking out using collection, presumably he gives up any means of trying to claim the goods weren't delivered.
    ^^ No, she never came down -- declined via email.

As long as 'collection' is offered in the listing and is followed through by the buyer 'checking out' using this option before they physically collect, I see no reason why Paypal couldn't be used. By officially checking out using collection, presumably he gives up any means of trying to claim the goods weren't delivered.
    Did you read this thread?

^ Urm, yes!?

In case there is any doubt, I was speaking generally or hypothetically, but since your "^^" suggests you're responding to the post above mine, I guess you're talking to yourself! C'est la vie.
    By officially checking out using collection, presumably he gives up any means of trying to claim the goods weren't delivered.
    You might expect sanity from ebay, but no, this is in fact an incorrect assumption.

I just went to process the refund, and can you believe this?!

Original payment £800.00 GBP
    Amount Refunded by Seller £772.80 GBP
    Fees Refunded by PayPal £27.20 GBP
    Total Refund Amount £800.00 GBP

So one of us will have to pay paypal £27.20!
    edited February 2012
    ^^ Wow, so if a buyer checks out as 'collecting', collects, goes home, he can then file a claim stating that it's not been delivered? Why would the goods be delivered if the buyer checked out as collecting. How can he claim it's not been delivered if he requested collection? I don't get it.

I know the Ebay policies generally served the buyer better than the seller, but that's ridiculous.
    ^^ Si, I read your summary as everything's been refunded and straight.

Original payment £800.00 GBP (Seller to Buyer)

Amount Refunded by Seller £772.80 GBP (Your cut has been refunded back to buyer)

Fees Refunded by PayPal £27.20 GBP (What Paypal took as fees is refunded back to buyer)

Total Refund Amount £800.00 GBP (both your refund and Paypal's fee refund gives buyer his full £800 back)
    edited February 2012
    Oh yeah. I read "Fees refunded" as "Refund fees" for some reason..
  • bahnstormerbahnstormer Member Posts: 180
    ^i would check your account more carefully, you will find you are actually 20p out on the deal - paypal dont refund you the standard fee, only the percentage fees.

flump - its always cash on collection, why lose 3.5% fees when you dont need to? if someone cant access cash to pay for something upon collection then they shouldnt buy it! ever wondered why the UK economy is so screwed???
  • Cam_n_StuCam_n_Stu UKMember Posts: 368
    ^^ Never had a problem with cash collection either. Only had one issue when a buyer wouldn't do it -- only wanted to use Paypal. Only one reason comes to mind why they wouldn't . . .
    Either that or they read about buyers going to supposed to cash exchanges and the money been forceably taken from them (without any goods of course). There were a few high profile incidents of this for car purchases and high-end HiFi purchases a few years back.

To the OP, the one time I can see PayPal working for collection is if the collection is by, say, ParcelForce where they give you a reciept when they pick the goods up.
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    To the OP, the one time I can see PayPal working for collection is if the collection is by, say, ParcelForce where they give you a reciept when they pick the goods up.
    I'm sure eBay would be able to find a way to favour the buyer in that situation, for example how do they know what Parcel Force picked up? It could have been anything.
    ^ Good point Matthew.
    @bahnstormer - Completely agree with you, only the Ebay payment terms don't allow one to legitimately remove the Paypal payment aspect for collection once it's been offered. If I were to offer an item for delivery or collection with payment by Paypal or cash, there's no way to restrict the Paypal option from the collection option - or so I believe.
    I've seen it suggested that you could offer a deposit through paypal then the rest in cash on collection to not fall foul of eBay's terms.
  • mnbvcmnbvc Member Posts: 135
    When I got back into Lego collecting, I was half considering buying a few sets to sell via eBay but honestly, your experiences have enlightened me to just how many crooks there are out there! I'm amazed that anyone sells Lego these days; there's just so many ways of getting screwed over. :(
  • DadDad UKMember Posts: 814
    I will say it only the once. Never ever, under no circumstances, allow someone to collect who has already paid by paypal. Never.

Either that or they read about buyers going to supposed to cash exchanges and the money been forceably taken from them (without any goods of course). There were a few high profile incidents of this for car purchases and high-end HiFi purchases a few years back.
    I have a retail store front so that was not a problem.
    ^ was wondering if you might have. Where is it, if you dont mind me asking?
  • UKtsumiUKtsumi Member Posts: 622
    edited August 2012
    If the item is not as described (mostly broken and non lego bricks), should the seller foot the bill for returning it? I have returned an item before and paypal sent me a prepaid postage label but is that standard? I cant remember how I got the label before.