Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

New here, I have a question.

rebel_spyrebel_spy TatooineMember Posts: 4
Hey everyone, very new to collecting minifigures. My collection began with Darth Revan. My quesion is: If I take it out of the polybag, do I destroy its value (similar to other collector hobbies)?

Comments

• Coolguy5000Coolguy5000 Ireland Member Posts: 1,521
    Yes usually . Check www.bricklink.com and search for the item in this  case darth  revan and click price guide. If you  view a few of the links you will  see new sealed and just new out if bag values
  • Brick_BreakdownBrick_Breakdown TorontoMember Posts: 90
    If you orebel_spy said:
    Hey everyone, very new to collecting minifigures. My collection began with Darth Revan. My quesion is: If I take it out of the polybag, do I destroy its value (similar to other collector hobbies)?
    if you open yes it'll be worth less but still worth a fair amount as long as you keep the seal bag to guarntee it's legitimacy 

welcome to the hobby you'll will quickly learn that Lego is much better out of its seals than in them. 
    tallblocktoodrdavewatfordRonyarkiki180703snowhitieAmanda1983
  • Renegade007cjhRenegade007cjh Essex, UKMember Posts: 684
    edited January 2016
    Hi and welcome to the forum.

"Destroy" is perhaps a strong word, but the short answer to your question is: Yes, if you open the packet it will be worth less than if you keep it sealed. If you nose around the forum, you will find several threads regarding keeping sealed vs opening. It really depends if you are looking to make money or to simply enjoy your LEGO.

Over time, some sets / figures end up being worth more than their original RRP, even open (e.g. #6866) but for maximum return, don't crack the seals.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,945
    edited January 2016
    If you orebel_spy said:
    if you open yes it'll be worth less but still worth a fair amount as long as you keep the seal bag to guarntee it's legitimacy 

How do they keep a sealed bag and open it?

An open / used bag doesn't guarantee anything.

You might want to decide what you want to display - figures or polybags (or both). There are people that enjoy both types of display. Decide what you are and go from there.

• TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,356
    ^
    That is like trying to keep your cake and eating it too.  ;-)
    B.t.w.
    Darth Revan is a cool minifig; so just build him and display the figure. At least that is what I did with it.
    edited January 2016
    CCC said:
    If you orebel_spy said:

You might want to decide what you want to display - figures or polybags (or both). There are people that enjoy both types of display. Decide what you are and go from there.

Seal bag not sealed bag. Take a pair of scissors and cut a small bit of the bottom of the bag to open it and keep the bag. Put the bag away somewhere it won't be lost and display the minifigure.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,381
    While keeping the opened bag doesn't guarantee the authenticity of the Minifigure; it does help. Are there a ton of sellers that sell random open and empty polybags or CMF packs? I'm sure there aren't, so hanging on to the open polybag could help.

With most collectibles; they are there for your enjoyment, but we all enjoy things differently. There are many of us that have a lot of money tied up in our collection and if there were anything to happen, like a fire or flood, we would want full replacement value. Also, if you were to fall on hard times and need to sell your collection; you would want as much money as possible.

• rebel_spyrebel_spy TatooineMember Posts: 4
    Thanks for all the input guys! I'm gonna open it up :)
    :L makes me want one more. Stellar piece to look at, hope you enjoy it. 
  • monstblitzmonstblitz Alexandria, VAMember Posts: 591
    As someone who collects legos both as an "investment" and to play with, when I have dilemmas like this, I just get 2.  One to open, one to keep sealed.  It gets expensive when you're talking about bigger sets...Hope I win the mega millions so I don't have to worry about it!
    drdavewatfordrebel_spykiki180703
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,309
    then you don't need to resell anymore. 
    dutchlegofan50
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,066
    ^  Or just re-sell for fun.  

Once I win the $800M PowerBall Lottery, you'll see some radical changes to Bricklink...

And we won't have to worry about hosting fees the forum.
    joel4motionkiki180703bandit778monstblitzkhmellymel
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    I find it so funny that many of you think you are winning the $800 million when I have already decided that I will be the one to win.
    @rebel_spy
    Dude! You forgot to put his cape on!
    CCC said:
    If you orebel_spy said:

Seal bag not sealed bag. Take a pair of scissors and cut a small bit of the bottom of the bag to open it and keep the bag. Put the bag away somewhere it won't be lost and display the minifigure.
    So in other words, your seal bag=open. It's either sealed or open, there is no in between. No matter how well hidden a cut is, an open bag is an open bag. Calling an open bag a seal bag will get you in trouble if you sell it.
    SumoLegokiki180703
  • mmozzanommozzano UKMember Posts: 413
    I've got this figure still in the shipping box with the Death Star it came free with. I'm waiting for all my boys to be old enough to help with the build before I open it. Seeing the image makes me want to crack it open and pull the figure out.

^
    B.t.w.
    Darth Revan is a cool minifig; so just build him and display the figure. At least that is what I did with it.
    Plenty of people here display poly bags. Not my thing, but if they like it, I can understand why.
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,421
    There's no way any of you are winning the 800 million because we all know it will be a group of factory workers from the mid-west. 
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    CCC said:

Plenty of people here display poly bags. Not my thing, but if they like it, I can understand why.
    That sounds like displaying crisp packets.

(For those on the other side of the pond,  crisps are "potato chips").
    I know of one collector who buys three. One to open and display, one to display the front of the bag and another to display the back. Bizarelly he doesn't open two to display the back of the figure though. I suggested he buy six, so he could also display the back and sides of the minifig, but he didn't take me up on the idea (I was selling to him at the time).
    tallblocktooTheBigLegoskichuckpkiki180703Renegade007cjhsnowhitieAmanda1983
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,309
    I suggest he buys 360 so he can pose it at every angle.
    chuckpkiki180703ricecakeAmanda1983
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    CCC said:

he didn't take me up on the idea (I was selling to him at the time).
    I think you were rumbled.
  • tallblocktootallblocktoo CanadaMember Posts: 497
    @rebel_spy That is a beauty!  Glad you opened it up so we could see as well!
    rebel_spy
    CCC said:

^
    B.t.w.
    Now my cake analogy has gone stale, well it already was cliché anyway.

b.t.w.
    pretty hilarious, suggesting this collector to buy 6 of each from you, now I am picturing you kind of like some of those used car salesmen. Very sly.  ;-)
    Amanda1983
  • rebel_spyrebel_spy TatooineMember Posts: 4
    @rebel_spy
    Dude! You forgot to put his cape on!
    Haha Crap! Thanks, I'll have to put it on when I get home - good thing I didn't throw away the polybag lol.
    TigerMoth said:
    CCC said:

he didn't take me up on the idea (I was selling to him at the time).
    I think you were rumbled.
    He knew I was joking, it was right after saying he displays the backs of poly bags.