Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

LEGO LOTR in June!

Comments

• Jabba_the_TaffJabba_the_Taff Member Posts: 211
    ^ I felt that Martin Freeman brought a lightness to it straightaway. Far less moody than Elijah Wood. But of course Jackson is going to keep a similar style to LotR. Why change how you filmed something that wasn't considered to be filmable in the first place?

Back to the blocks! I'm wondering how many people this will bring out of their dark ages. I'm thinking the potential here is nearly as big as Star Wars was. The fan base is so vast, and TLG has got to be prouder of its starting models for LotR when compared to say the 7151 Infiltrator. It's surely got to be an easier sell than in 1999, although of course SW was the first licensed theme.
  • StuBoyStuBoy New ZealandMember Posts: 623
    Yeah, I took the book as more of a childrens story, and while this dark tone should suit the adults, I'm not sure how many kids will be drawn into it (and the Lego sets in turn).
  • sonsofscevasonsofsceva 1904 World's FairMember Posts: 537
    edited December 2011
    Keep in mind that the two Hobbit movies will have the book events as well as the other events that occur at that time when Gandalf leaves the dwarf party to go deal with the Necromancer at Dol Guldor (sp). I have not read the history volumes from Middle Earth, but that sounds like a much darker road than the Hobbit one many of us have read. I am very interested in all the rest of that story, if told well (and I have confidence in the director that it will be).

To tie this into the sets: this is more than just a 'one and out', with at least another year between the two parts of the story. They certainly have a little time to really develop these sets if they wish.

Unfortunately, I don't think it will be a long-lasting SW theme. SW has the benefit of a continued cartoon that is very popular with young boys. At least half of the SW sets now originate from those cartoons. LOTR has no such perpetual story machine behind it, so we will only have a few years to capitalize on this.
  • legoDadlegoDad Member Posts: 529
    ^ I felt that Martin Freeman brought a lightness to it straightaway. Far less moody than Elijah Wood. But of course Jackson is going to keep a similar style to LotR. Why change how you filmed something that wasn't considered to be filmable in the first place?
    To stretch your creative abilities.

• Jabba_the_TaffJabba_the_Taff Member Posts: 211
    ^ Well, of course. But with keeping the world tonally similar and the pressure of Hollywood not to change a winning formula, how likely is it?
    edited December 2011
    The Trailer looks quite similar in tone to LOTR, dark and moody with comedic interludes from the dwarves. So the films could capture a young audience a little easier than LOTR.

• monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,354
    To be fair the book may be a children's story but it does have a darkish undertone to it so I think the trailer looked spot on. Also LoTR as a book builds on the hobbit so, while creatively changing things may be fun I don't think it would work within the world of middle earth that has already been established. But I don't think that will have any bearing on the mixture of Lego sets released, Lego will set its own tone there, as it has with every darkish source material, LoTR is no darker than batman, HP or SW when you realy look at it.
    ^Agreed, Lego always throws in their quirky, tongue-in-cheek humour to these themes. I wouldn't be surprised if Gandalf has a coffee mug holder in his Cart :)
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    great trailer.
    the overall tone seems lighter than LOTR to me.
    ^Yeah, I think Bombur will provide a lot of the comedy in this one by the look of his character design. Kids love a bit of slapstick humour! Also might have a lot more of the Shire, which was always bright and cheery in the LOTR.
  • vulturesvultures Member Posts: 1
    really want to see the BALLROG...its suppose to be damn huge right?!?
  • OzotterOzotter Member Posts: 3
    Had a quick look over what people think the minifigs are... no Merry and Pippin?
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,692
    This was discussed somewhere. I'm pretty sure its possible to get the entire fellowship if you bought a large number of the sets. To miss out merry and pippin would be a major over-sight.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    ^ That would certainly be an epic fail so I'm confident I'll get everyone with The Dancing Pony retailer exclusive. ;o) (just spitballing ideas here)
    I think I mentioned on another thread that Im hoping for a UCS subtheme of LOTR. Given the AFOL appeal of this licence, I really hope they have the guts to do it.
  • bellybutton290bellybutton290 Member Posts: 453
    Did complain before about Merry and Pippin but another forum member did advise me that there where in the collection. I figured I needed 4 sets to get the nine fellowship members these being gandalfs arrival?, weathertop, moria (balin's tomb) and one other I can't remember maybe helms deep.
    I think I mentioned on another thread that Im hoping for a UCS subtheme of LOTR. Given the AFOL appeal of this licence, I really hope they have the guts to do it.
    You and me both.
  • airjordanairjordan Member Posts: 33
    edited January 2012
    After a visit at my local LEGO store I was hinted at one of the new series soon to be released. I was told a simple acronym... LOTR. Though it was also explained to me that the sets were mediocre.

I apologize if this is already a thread; feel free to delete this post.

Have a good weekend everyone!
    edited January 2012
    ^ Hahaha ... I like how the in-store staff are describing the sets as mediocore! I hope the set designers know this!
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,798
    I was slightly disappointed by the preliminary images, but I guess they might not be the finished product. I am just hoping they will do a UCS type adult set with some real detail.
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    Here appears to be the prices for some of the LotR sets, according to B&N site (courtey of ToysNBricks), to be released 6/1.

Uruk-hai Army 9471(6/1/2012) -$26.95
    The Mines of Moria 9473(6/1/2012) -$71.95
    The Battle of Helms Deep 9474(6/1/2012) -$116.95
    Shelob Attacks 9470(6/1/2012) -$17.95
    Gandalf Arrives 9469(6/1/2012) -$11.95
    Attack on Weathertop 9472(6/1/2012) -$44.95
  • trickydicky0880trickydicky0880 Member Posts: 134
    edited January 2012
    I don't know about you but I'm way excited about this theme. I'm an AFOL and I've really enjoyed the amazing ideas that LEGO has come up with especially for their film themes. I've really enjoyed the POTC theme as well as Star Wars, Batman, Prince of Persia, etc. I really hope this theme can survive. The Battle of Helms Deep looks fantastic. I recognize that these are just prototype so far of what the real sets will look like but the minifigs will be cool. I'm especially excited to see a Gollum minifig. If they can pull off an excellent Sebulba minifig from set 7962 then Gollum should be no problem.
    Check here for many stoked fans and tubular answers bra'...
    http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/2515/lego-lotr-in-june#Item_155

Count me in as 'stoked'!
    Alright, alright crazy idea but elite trooper's shoulder pads from 9488 + legolas minifig = legolas with rohan armor for the helm's deep set.

Amazing idea or frickin amazing idea?
    This might me a ridiculous comment that everybody knows but I'm just gonna put it in anyways. These pics that we've seen are not the final sets. They're gonna be a lot more legit. They use pieces from molds that they have already to make the prototype set hence the reason of why the cave troll is clear as well as gollum. Everyone that commented on the brickset site was being all negative nancys and saying these sets weren't cool. Well, they're not done yet so no worries. We probably won't see the real ones for a while...
    ^
    Thanks man. You have just made me even more psyched for this frickin sick theme.
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,546

I was stoked until i saw the leaked images, which instantly smacked of the crummy one year and done format (not saying lotr is a single year theme, but that they've just followed the same set design as those releases (small set, mid set etc), which utterly scraps any chance of a thorough visit to the theme as no chance of multiple battle packs etc).

I was stoked when i saw the first teaser of a Lego Jack Sparrow, but have since become disillusioned by LEGO's treatment of licenses (or their design schedule in general). I sometimes wonder if the designers bother to watch the films.

Star Wars is the only theme they seem to have put any effort into, and even though i've got the PotC and PoP themes too, I felt both of these themes lacked any real love for the films in the set design. Where is Tortuga? Where are the battle packs? Where is Davy Jones' ship? The Kraken? You just have to look at the PotC video game (or watch the films) to see the miriad of things they ignored which could've looked great in lego... but no, must adhere to the one-year-and-out format, with NO coherent story, and them blame slow sales.

However, Lord of the Rings SHOULD be the next Star Wars for them (or as close as any theme will get), so i hope and pray (with little conviction) that they GET IT RIGHT!

If they have any sense, they'd employ a LOTR expert to oversee the range. It's not like it takes much effort even, just watch the films and note the key scenes/characters to be made in lego.

It could be big, it should be big... but lately Lego to my mind only ever get things right by pure accident. :o)

But yes. Stoked, with a pinch of dread.

• dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,118
    I still think the problem is that the LOTR license is going to appeal (the first wave this summer anyway) largely to adults. But the sets that we've seen are all done in the typical "playset" style and other than the minifigs, are completely lacking in any kind of scale or detail (Helm's Deep being the exception).

I'm sure they will sell well, since these days it seems to be ALL about the minifigs unfortunately, but I can't help but think of it as a missed opportunity thus far.
    ^true but they won't be too far off as has been commented before.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,118
    right. details may change of course, but the basic concept/price points are pretty well set. and they are all pretty underwhelming. Other than the MF, there isn't too much to get excited about unfortunately.
  • CoolsplashCoolsplash Member Posts: 935
    The LOTR theme needs more makeover first with the sets/models, then the mini figures. I think I saw a picture of the Mines of Morea set and the demon in it was being 'played' by our dear Wampa creature from the SW Universe :P Though the first leaked pictures were not of good quality so I might be wrong.

I hope TLG does not disappoint millions of LOTR fans out there. I told this news to a lot of non-Lego fans, people who never bought Lego, and even those got so excited as they are huge huge fans of the LOTR franchise. So lets hope for the best.
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 832
    Fan groups - particularly AFOLs (generally due to their slight bias on the geekiness scale - and as one myself I don't think that's unfair) always seem to have SUCH high expectations for new things in franchises that they already like that it's impossible for anything to live up to the hype. This sort of thing is seen in Staw Wars sets all the time - you can make practically perfect UCS sets, but there will still be some people telling you that compared to the original film models the engine nacelles are at the wrong angle to the fuselage or that Biggs needs a scar on his left cheek (or something like that!)

Kids, however - the primary target - have a much better imagination and can 'fill in the gaps' better than most adults when they are playing! Think back to when you were a 'most-likely-Lego-loving' child, when you had less than 5% of the Lego that you do now - and tell me that actually you didn't have more fun with what you had back then because even a man sitting on a few 2x8 plates was flying a spaceship.

I'm not a fan of LOTR at all - not because I dislike it, I've just never gotten into it in the same way as SW - but I do know that kids love a lot of the SW sets because of the minifigs, for many of them the rest of the set just seems to be an accessory for the figures to stand on or sit in! So as long as TLG does a good job with making the minifigs desirable, we can complain all we want about the fact that the sets aren't as good as the 4000 piece MOCs that have been shown but they'll still sell by the stud-topped bucketload!
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693
    Here appears to be the prices for some of the LotR sets, according to B&N site (courtey of ToysNBricks), to be released 6/1.

Uruk-hai Army 9471(6/1/2012) -$26.95
    The Mines of Moria 9473(6/1/2012) -$71.95
    The Battle of Helms Deep 9474(6/1/2012) -$116.95
    Shelob Attacks 9470(6/1/2012) -$17.95
    Gandalf Arrives 9469(6/1/2012) -$11.95
    Attack on Weathertop 9472(6/1/2012) -$44.95
    That includes the 10% B&N pre-order discount, so round them up to get the MSRP.
    @Ma1234, we can pre-order these from Barnes and Noble? Really???
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693
    edited January 2012
    @Ma1234, we can pre-order these from Barnes and Noble? Really???
    Yes, but don't be shocked if your pre-order is cancelled.
  • airjordanairjordan Member Posts: 33
    Let me ask this... why would LOTR be directed towards children? It's a PG-13 film series. I was about 11 when the first film was released and looking back, I was probably a little young to be watching. To each there own. PotC is PG-13 as well but definitely directed towards a younger age than LOTR. I think that is why most everyone does not care of the images we have seen so far. I would say between PotC, SW, and LOTR that LOTR definitely has the highest age range to be targeted.

I hope all of that made sense. I just don't understand why the sets seem rather simple for young children.
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,938
    However, Lord of the Rings SHOULD be the next Star Wars for them (or as close as any theme will get), so i hope and pray (with little conviction) that they GET IT RIGHT!

Why??
    Why should LOTR be the next Star Wars?
    My 5 year old son has seen the original three star wars movies. There is no way I would let him watch Fellowship of the Ring, let alone my 9 year old watch it. That fight scene with Boromir would give all my kids nightmares. Star Wars was such a huge phenomenon when I was growing up. We saw the original 4 times as a family. So many people I knew wanted to share that Star Wars experience with their kids. Kids now play Star Wars on the playground. There is the clone wars, which is targeted to kids.
    I do not know any kid that reads Lord of the Rings. I do not know kids that play it on the playground. I read books when I was 10, but that was pretty early.

Lord of the Rings is not something aimed at kids. I see it more of a subset of Kingdom/Castle lines.

If we want to talk about a set theme that would have been far more likely to have been the next Star Wars, it should have been Harry Potter. From a kid prespective, that has a far bigger kid following than Lord of the Rings. I just think, though, it needs a bit longer before it can become that. The first book was released about 13 years ago. A 10 year old then would only be 23 now. It is these kids that are going to want to pass Harry Potter to their kids, just like my generation wanted to pass on Star Wars. I think when that happens, HP will be the next big thing. That is when 5 year olds, besides mine, will be trying to play HP at recess.

My point is that HP had/has far more potential with a very large part of the target market, to be the next big thing, compared to Lord of the Rings, which is more known among adults.

From a short term perspective, I think a far better seller would have been Percy Jackson. I know a wide number for kids that would want to see that, and like HP, it would have appeal to boys and girls. As it is, my daughter specifically requested the minotaur and the Statue of Liberty minifigs. She is going to use the statue outfit to make Athena. She is trying to make a set of Percy Jackson characters.

Tammy
    edited January 2012
    Kids, however - the primary target - have a much better imagination and can 'fill in the gaps' better than most adults when they are playing! Think back to when you were a 'most-likely-Lego-loving' child, when you had less than 5% of the Lego that you do now - and tell me that actually you didn't have more fun with what you had back then because even a man sitting on a few 2x8 plates was flying a spaceship.
    Amen Mr_benn...Kid's have a much wider imagination. They'll add onto sets to get it to their liking. They never worry about left out details on any kits.
    And for me, as much as I love elaborate MOC's and Snot Models, the simpler smaller sets have so much charm.

I think that it did huge with the box office and with the Oscars, why not with LEGO. If they can sell these new sets coming out, then they'll be successful. They have tons of ideas to work with considering that LOTR will have 5 movies in the next couple years. They can build a Gondor defense set with a witch king minifig which would be awesome, the shire, the cave with the ghost army, etc. They have more than enough to work with.

I feel that HP only had a castle in all of it's movies and LEGO has definitely revamped it in more than enough ways. LOTR is not a movie for children with it's PG-13 rating. It's gory and scary to younger audiences. I think that they're trying to reach out towards adult fans of LEGO which I think they will accomplish quite nicely. Mega Blocks did so with the Halo theme.
    LOTR is meant to be made and played on a grand scale. We have seen the MOC's made by other AFOL's out there and those were very impressive models. I saw a MOC of Attack on Sauron's Tower (I think that was the name of the MOC) and the guy had used Power Miners bricks so effectively creating the Ents.

Lego has about enough bricks in hand to build more amazing LOTR sets, but I guess they have to keep the price per piece in mind as well. Heard one of the LOTR set will be priced about $115 or so. Maybe we would see some exclusives or ultimate collector sets :) Lots of speculation.

But bottom line, LOTR will take the Lego adult fans by a storm, and it will also wash over the kids as well. I am still waiting for my 8 year old to be grown up to sit and watch the LOTR franchise with him, but being the cool storyteller Dad I am, I did tell him the story on the franchise and the look on his face was worth a billion dollars.

And when I told him about the upcoming LOTR theme, and saw the pictures with him, he simply said 'I know we are getting all these, and maybe 2 of each to make big armies' so, its going to be amazing :) Hit or Flop, LOTR will be a part of my collection.
  • icey117icey117 DenmarkMember Posts: 503
    edited January 2012
    Alright - LEGO has come up with a few ideas for LOTR sets. A good start but to make it a grand theme they'll need some inspiration, and I thought we could give them some help. So - Set suggetion anyone? See if we can gather 100 bestseller ideas:

I'll start:

001: Rivendell
    002: Legolas kills the Oliphaunt
    003: The White Tree of Gondor
    004: ...
  • fyrmedhattfyrmedhatt Member Posts: 128
    Lord of the Rings was bigger in Europe than in the US, I remember myself how big deal the movies were in Norway, where it was a cultural phenomenon, while coming to the US right after the movie trilogy ended I saw them to be regarded as good movies, but not much more. These sets might strike it bigger in Europe than in the US, just like Star Wars is more popular here in the US.

And yes, kids in the upper range of the Lego age spectrum (8-14) are going to know about LotR and many of them have watched the movies with their parents or in secret, and they will be interested in the sets. Boys of those ages love action and LotR is full of it.

The Hobbit is of more childish than LotR, so this is truly the perfect time for Lego to enter with these sets.

It is problematic that the sets are not vehicle focused, but neither were the Harry Potter sets, and the last few waves of the theme has been extremely popular. LotR also has the same appeal as Harry Potter when it comes to girls, so that does broaden the potential market for the sets.
  • cableguy69846cableguy69846 Member Posts: 1
    LOTR sets are going to be amazing. I just hope they don't replace the Castle theme with it the way POTC replaced Pirates. So not cool.
    @cableguy69846 It looks like they are replacing Kingdoms with LOTR, with the Joust being the only set available, exactly like the Imperial Flagship in the Pirate line.
  • stagusstagus Member Posts: 256
    Sorry, this may have been mentioned but with The Hobbit coming out in the movie theaters it would be fairly good timing would it not? The Hobbit is a kids book and I would think that the natural progression would be onto LOTR. The movie will be in '2 parts' so each time would have a big date for Lego to promote the sets.

I agree it is not as big as HP but it has so much potential from a Lego point of view!
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM Cork, IrelandMember Posts: 939
    A new poster has been released:

• Bluefox1966Bluefox1966 UKMember Posts: 357
    I'm going to start saving now , Star wars will be on the back burner for me while this series runs.
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,692
    ^^ That poster isn't showing for me, but I'm assuming it's the Legolas one shown here
    http://www.brothers-brick.com/2012/01/19/lego-lord-of-the-rings-aragorn-legolas-minifigs-revealed/
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,288
    I am sooooo happy with the fact that TLG is finally going to release LOTR Lego. Better start saving some money for all those sets, I am going to continue to be so broke with all the new future releases I want to buy. :(

@andhe thanx for the link, nice posters! Just changed the Frodo picture for the Legolas poster, as my avatar.
    (from your comment on the 'brothers-brick.com')
    "Lego-las looks kind of…. fake? The lack of noses is disturbing. Hair looks like a combination of the Draco hair and series 3 elf." I guess you don't like Legolas very much as he has no nose!?!?!?!?! He does have really big ears though. They are huge. ;)
    I don't know of any minifig's with a nose.

ps.
    I am so glad I have 5 elves from CMF series 3. I love that minifig. Elves rule big time!
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM Cork, IrelandMember Posts: 939
    @andhe it was the Aragorn one, but I hadn't seen the Legolas, cheers for the link. Mine obviously broke a little while after I'd posted it.