Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

How many sets do you own?

Comments

• RecceRecce Tiny Little Red DotMember Posts: 885
    Galactus said:

Nowadays I am sort of considering to collect LEGO books (non official books about LEGO). I only have about 3 actual books, 8 DK books with bricks/figures and 20 magazines with bricks.
    I've got some of the BrickMaster books :)

Lego_Nerd98kiki180703GalactusLEGOFan2

tecjam said:
    Btw, speaking of "how many sets" and stuff:
    Thank god it's not dragonball.... "Gotta catch 'em all!"
    Lol! It's Pokemon balls that need catching, Dragon Balls only have 7, much easier to gather. :D
    kiki180703
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,776
    Galactus said:
    SumoLego said:
    Also, kinda like that stupid limited edition, completely non-verifiable white Boba Fett keychain, for those of you that collect keychains...
    SumoLego said:
    I totally forgot about keychains.  Might as well add another 350+ to my tally...
    LOL :D

I once thought about collecting the keychains, but it seemed to risky (money wise).
    I wish I were collecting these for their investment potential, but this is purely, purely, satiating my need to possess stuff.
    MattsWhatVorpalRyuYodaliciouskiki180703catwrangler
  • LusiferSamLusiferSam MontanaMember Posts: 470

The number of "how many sets" is actually a highly debatable subject and is very contentious.  In my opinion there is at last another 500 known sets.  Most of these are early parts packs with color and country variations.  And of course there are unknown sets floating out there.  On the other side there are items I wouldn't count as "sets".  Chief amongst these are the product collections and virtual sets.  These are counted as items in the Brickset database, but are really not sets.
    catwrangler
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,371
    ^Virtual sets? You mean I can't count all my LDD sets? ;)
    kiki180703VorpalRyuxiahna

I think this figure includes lots and lots of key chains, video games, books, lifestyle products like watches & alarm clocks etc. 

Removing them would probably bring the figure down to +/- 8000?
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,237
    @Pitfall69, if we count virtual sets, we'd have to count MOCs too, which would mean having to count my Microfighter designs... My number of sets sounds bad enough as it is without adding another 70 to it, so no! :D
    xiahna
  • LusiferSamLusiferSam MontanaMember Posts: 470
    Pitfall69 said:
    ^Virtual sets? You mean I can't count all my LDD sets? ;)
    Oh. :$  My bad.  It should be virtual set collections.  I guess was just typing too fast and not checking.

8000 is far too low.  I wouldn't believe anything under 11,000 at this point.  But as I said it's a contentious subject because not everybody agrees on what defines a set.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,698
    ^We only agree on obvious stuff like which sets are UCS and official modulars.
    tecjamSumoLegoJern92Legoboymampepin
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    ^we can only wish that MS was a vitual set.
    VorpalRyukiki180703tecjam
  • hkcrazy88hkcrazy88 USA/ItalyMember Posts: 163
    I have 416 according to BL. This is a problem, because I keep my own spreadsheet of what I have, and it says 403. Dang!
  • gelkstergelkster MN, USAMember Posts: 427
    edited December 2015

You own 324 sets, 305 different.

We have piece counts for 301 of them. You own 64115 pieces.

We have retail prices for 261 of them. Their retail value is $7403.
    • PmhPmh netherlandsMember Posts: 124
      Not sure, about 50 I guess. lots of medium and small sets. About 10 big sets that where over 100 ea.
    • GalactusGalactus NLMember Posts: 255
      SumoLego said:
      Galactus said:
      SumoLego said:
      Also, kinda like that stupid limited edition, completely non-verifiable white Boba Fett keychain, for those of you that collect keychains...
      SumoLego said:
      I totally forgot about keychains.  Might as well add another 350+ to my tally...
      LOL :D

I once thought about collecting the keychains, but it seemed to risky (money wise).
      I wish I were collecting these for their investment potential, but this is purely, purely, satiating my need to possess stuff.
      By 'money wise' I meant my LEGO budget couldn't handle me collecting keychains as well (besides sets that is). I don't buy LEGO items or sets as an investment. 
      SumoLego

8000 is far too low.  I wouldn't believe anything under 11,000 at this point.  But as I said it's a contentious subject because not everybody agrees on what defines a set.
      Actually we can get a more accurate figure from the Brickset database if really needed to.

For example, under All Themes, we can see Gears having 1697, and Promotionals & Service Packs having 300+ each, Books 172, Collectible Minifigures 362 (for me they can be added as 1 set of 16 or 1 box set for each series but definitely not 362 individual "set"), Dimensions 65 (I don't really count them as Lego sets) and etc.

I'm sure there are some other themes from the list that can be clearly struck off as sets as well :)
    • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,237
      @Recce, realistically, if there is even just a few bricks that make a structure, creature or vehicle, then the item in question requires building, therefore can be classified as a building set. In reference to Lego what is meant when we talk about sets is building sets, so the Dimensions packs & some polybags are technically sets in the traditional sense. As for promotional, some of the SDCC stuff comes under this category & I for one take issue with the claim that the Throne of Ultron isn't a set.
      bandit778xiahna
    • AltairAltair FranceMember Posts: 50
      According to my brickset count I have 57 now, mostly acquired in the last 2-3 years, after I decided I needed to get all the LOTR sets and all the SW-OT ones needed to recreate all the main scenes of my 2 (well, 6 actually) favorite movies... it cost me more than 3,000 Euros, but so much pleasure for my 7-year old and myself!
    • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,266
      113 sets, 108 different, 30182 pieces. + 7 I have not built yet and I think I didn't add the CMFs (10-15).
      there must be about 80-90 sets from my childhood, representing between 10000 and 15000 pieces.
      VorpalRyu said:
      @Recce, realistically, if there is even just a few bricks that make a structure, creature or vehicle, then the item in question requires building, therefore can be classified as a building set. In reference to Lego what is meant when we talk about sets is building sets, so the Dimensions packs & some polybags are technically sets in the traditional sense. As for promotional, some of the SDCC stuff comes under this category & I for one take issue with the claim that the Throne of Ultron isn't a set.
      It was much simpler when they just had a set number for everything...

The SDCC are definitely 'sets', even if they are just promotional items.  (That you have to pay for - so I suppose that reinforces their status as a set.)
      VorpalRyu
    • Craig_BCraig_B Member Posts: 19
      Not enough 
      JudgeChuckLusiferSamkiki1807031265TheMaker37eddiew
    • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,669
      edited December 2015

Too many

Let the war of likes decide.

JudgeChuckkiki180703Jern92eddiew
    • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,092
      edited December 2015
      ^ Both answers are perfectly valid and not mutually-exclusive... Have a "like" each... ;-)
      kiki180703Craig_Bpharmjod
    • tallblocktootallblocktoo CanadaMember Posts: 495
      70 sets which include the likes of the modulars, Simpsons house and Kwik-E Mart,  The Lego Movie the prize being the Sea Cow, and the Ferris Wheel among others. 
    • 12651265 Member Posts: 944
      edited December 2015
      SMC said:

Too many

Let the war of likes decide.

The, "not enough," post is honest, let's see what, "Too many," means to you.  I'm leaning to a like to "not enough" unless you show me something to change my mind.
      SumoLegokiki180703
    • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
      Why not settle for "just the right number"? Is it a crime being satisfied these days?
      SumoLego
    • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,669
      ^ because "not enough," means I need more Lego and "Too many," means I buy too much Lego and I know it but I am not stopping. The problem with "just the right number" is that it means you cant buy any more.
    • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,366
      edited December 2015

You own 276 sets, 271 different.

We have piece counts for 266 of them. You own 76207 pieces.

We have retail prices for 220 of them. Their retail value is $7561.

Not as much retail as I thought, but I have really been slacking the last year or so on how many new sets I buy. I would say that my loose parts for MOCs is likely equal to or greater than this piece count. 4+ years of being in a LUG does strange things to your collection.

Yes you can.

Tomorrow's a different day, with different factors (more or less money; new or retired sets) that can give a different decision. Even if you're planning on buying something tomorrow (well, not Christmas day, but you know what I mean), you can still be satisfied knowing that you have the funds and the set is there on the shelves for you to collect. "Just the right number" then means that everything is going to plan.
    • gratefulnatgratefulnat SwitzerlandMember Posts: 266
      Just the right number for today!
      Who knows what tomorrow will bring...
    • mldj77mldj77 Philadelphia, PAMember Posts: 63
      I'm in the "Too Many" crowd. Yeah I have a problem, what's your point! When I had a 2 bedroom apt I needed more room. Fast forward to owning a 3 bedroom house now with two rooms and the basement dedicated to Lego and I still don't have room. Now I'm eyeing commercial properties with a storefront on the first floor and apartment upstairs. This is my brain on Lego!
      VorpalRyu
      How about...

"Too much of some, not enough of others."

Someone out there must be hunting for a Triple-E and a Lord Business's Evil Lair!
      kiki180703VorpalRyuLusiferSam
      SumoLego said:

Someone out there must be hunting for a Triple-E
      Yes - I am. I've forgotten which cupboard it's in.
      VorpalRyuSumoLegogratefulnatkiki180703Rainstorm26
    • JetWing34JetWing34 Michigan, USAMember Posts: 38
      I own 14 different sets, 2683 pieces, worth $258.
      TigerMoth said:
      SumoLego said:
      Someone out there must be hunting for a Triple-E
      Yes - I am. I've forgotten which cupboard it's in.
      Ah, I hadn't considered that angle.
      kiki180703
    • astarguyastarguy Member Posts: 39
      i own 260 sets with 90,00 pieces and worth about 10,000 dollars. and oh yea i want about 7000 dollars more sets.
    • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,266
      damn, over 1$ per piece
    • BrikingBriking Dorset, UKMember Posts: 746
      2 more than this time yesterday.
      Toc13kiki180703
    • 12651265 Member Posts: 944
      Fauch said:
      damn, over 1$ per piece
      More like 11 cents per piece.
      kiki180703
    • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,732
      About 170 - I say "about" because there might be a few rogue sets I still haven't listed on here. And quite a few of those are minifigures. Apparently I have 19,828 pieces, which is hard to believe - the figures get sort of abstract, don't they? Or maybe it just seems that way to me because I haven't tried building anything really gigantic yet! ;)
    • Patrik78Patrik78 Member Posts: 140
      45 sets with 63.218 pieces :) Not counting polybags and promotion sets, haven't listed them
    • ricecakericecake Maryland, USAMember Posts: 879
      Right now my count is:

You own 98 sets, 94 different.
      We have piece counts for 91 of them. You own 31689 pieces.
      We have retail prices for 84 of them. Their retail value is $2977.

• JetWing34JetWing34 Michigan, USAMember Posts: 38
      The unique things about my Star Wars and City collections are the number of sets are even with four each. However, I have 791 City pieces, compared to 723 for Star Wars. With it being said, there's only 24% each of my Lego collection, and a lot more than that came from.
    • empireempire BC, CanadaMember Posts: 43
      Only like 20 or 30, thank god i'm running out of space.
      xwingpilotkiki180703
    • willobee498willobee498 CanadalandMember Posts: 349
      269 sets... it seems I went a little nuts coming out of my dark ages, and am only now slowing down and focusing my buying.
      tallblocktookiki180703tecjam
    • Mandz27Mandz27 ScotlandMember Posts: 35
      113 sets (i'm sure there's a few I can't think of ) with  33753 pieces and a value of £2871, honesty didn't realise we had that much, still small in comparison to some folk.
    • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,403
      200 unique sets, 287 in total. That includes 'sets' such as #8878 Rechargable Battery Box, which I currently have 11 of...

The total number of parts is 90,081 but that's a severe underestimate. I have a large moc that is at least 50,000 pieces, and there's numerous other times when I've bought thousands of elements. Not to mention the dozens of PAB cup-fulls I've bought in the past few years. So I'd estimate that I own at least 175,000 pieces, but it could well be a lot more than that.
    • tallblocktootallblocktoo CanadaMember Posts: 495
      empire said:
      You need a few more all you have to do is rotate them!  You know you want more! I'm needing to that now and I only just starting buying Lego summer of 2015.  
    • empireempire BC, CanadaMember Posts: 43
      empire said:
      You need a few more all you have to do is rotate them!  You know you want more! I'm needing to that now and I only just starting buying Lego summer of 2015.  
      I spent $800 on Jan 1st on new sets, I should be good for a few months at least. Of course i'll keep buying though....
    • Brick_BreakdownBrick_Breakdown TorontoMember Posts: 90
      Looks like 215 sets but theres probably a lot of sets that aren't accounted for on my brickset just noticed it averages around 1000 pieces a set thats interesting thought it be higher though I have a lot of smaller sets from marval and dc which I bought for mf and I also have the CMF which i only account for as full 16 selection and Have 14 series so 14 sets... Otherwise only buy UCS and Exclusive sets and lego ideas. Ive been collecting for roughly 9 years since the age of 9 when I bought the eiffel tower returning back from my dark age of 2 years. 
    • TheMaker37TheMaker37 Norfolk,VaMember Posts: 464
      Just went over 50 to 52 sets. Started collecting just about one year ago. Looks like I averaged just about one set per week.