Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

75827 - Ghostbusters HQ (Coming In January 2016?)

Comments

• piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,145
    It sounds like people are starting to get their hands on this? Is it available somewhere?
  • dragon114dragon114 United StatesMember Posts: 640
    It sounds like people are starting to get their hands on this? Is it available somewhere?
    most likely review copy's since the brook show said their is on the way
    hear another video with the ecto 1 inside https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLLfievNgVA
  • JELJ1SJELJ1S Member Posts: 94
    dragon114 said:
    anyone plan to modified this. plan to move it over 4 studs and remove the hinges.

I don't plan to remove the hinges but in my current setup moving it over 4 studs towards the hinge side might actually help! 

• DrmnezDrmnez USA, Planet earth Member Posts: 859
    I really wanted this set, but I don't have the space for it
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 822
    I was building my own version of this prior to the reveal of this set. I had the first level finished. I'm wondering how much money the project will cost. It might be cheaper to just buy the official set and scrap my project.

Either way, looking at the build in that video, it looks neat for sure. But I could definitely see modding it a bit.

But at $350.00, I'll wait until next Christmas.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSk3uPcpdHQ  unbocking of the set. the numbers on the bags go up to 14 and has two boxes
  • monkyby87monkyby87 Member Posts: 316
    That's a really good price-per-piece ratio though; you don't see that too often with the bigger sets.
  • maniacmaniac Yorkshire, UKMember Posts: 845
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,698
    Honestly I dislike the emphasis on the graphics rather than the traditional set design. Now we wait for the 10251 Brick Bank designer video which is also due to be uploaded this week :)

Andy Sheenan - Most likely 'LEGO Creator' set (Big Ben)
    Jaime Berard - #10251 Brick Bank
    Marcos Bessa - #75827 Ghostbusters Firehouse Headquarters
    Adam Grabowski - Super Heroes / Star Wars (Hoth Echo Base, UCS Snowspeeder, Starkiller Base)

• TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    Adzbadboy said:

Honestly I dislike the emphasis on the graphics rather than the traditional set design.
    Isn't it just a way of justifying all the stickers?
  • KleiovousKleiovous UKMember Posts: 95
    Can see why they didn't include a sound brick....
  • William_TownsleyWilliam_Townsley Perth, Scotland Member Posts: 880
    Seen this on HUKD. Made me laugh 
    kiki180703khmellymeltallblocktoo
  • kiki180703kiki180703 Montreal, CanadaMember Posts: 1,055
    Designer video is up!

• drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,686
    maniac said:
    I love this video - the guys are so enthusiastic about the set!

I usually complain bitterly about stickers, incidentally, but on this build they really didn't bother me - they're small and inoffensive IMHO, and they add some great little details for Ghostbusters fans.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited January 2016
    ^ I would agree for most of the little vignette-ish stuff, but not printing the main icon on the sign?  That's just lazy.

Actually, I gotta immediately edit this, stickers anywhere on a $350 set is lazy.
    madforLEGOcatwrangler
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 14,356
    Can one ever be critical of Carpathian stickers?
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,924
    ^ I would agree for most of the little vignette-ish stuff, but not printing the main icon on the sign?  That's just lazy.

Actually, I gotta immediately edit this, stickers anywhere on a $350 set is lazy.
    It would be downright irrational to expect this many unique decorations, many of which will never and COULD never be used in any other set, to be printed. If the set had been "prints only", not only would it surely have been more expensive, but I guarantee that a lot of the details, especially many of the "easter eggs", would have been removed entirely. Plus, there would've been no mirrors. LEGO simply can't print a mirror finish and they don't have a mirror element small enough to use as a bathroom mirror like the one in this set.

It still astonishes me that actual adults who complain again and again about sets being "dumbed down" consider lining up stickers an undue burden.
    KazJYLyichir
    Aanchir said:

It still astonishes me that actual adults who complain again and again about sets being "dumbed down" consider lining up stickers an undue burden.
    It's not that it's a burden; it's that a printed element is for life whereas a sticker is only until it falls off. If you're paying a large sum for a set, you'd hope that it would still look as good in five, ten, twenty years' time. And stickers are more easily damaged.

For sets of this nature, and price, they could improve the results by using something like water slide decals. That would probably give a sufficient improvement in durability to silence much of the criticism. It may not be appropriate for sets aimed at children, but this thing is rated for 16+. I imagine that there are other alternatives, and that the difference in cost would be relatively insignificant.
    dougtsBrickDancerTXLegoguykiki180703TheLoneTensormadforLEGOgmonkey76
    All of the stickers peeled off my Sopwith Camel and Red Baron.  I'm still peeled-off about that!

I agree that most of the stickers are fine, but they should have sprung for the printed GB Insignia.  If not on the Ecto-1!
    TXLegoguykiki180703VorpalRyu
    edited January 2016
    Aanchir said:

It would be downright irrational to expect this many unique decorations, many of which will never and COULD never be used in any other set, to be printed. If the set had been "prints only", not only would it surely have been more expensive, but I guarantee that a lot of the details, especially many of the "easter eggs", would have been removed entirely. Plus, there would've been no mirrors. LEGO simply can't print a mirror finish and they don't have a mirror element small enough to use as a bathroom mirror like the one in this set.

Why do assume that I consider it a burden?  I'm very good at lining up stickers, using an Xacto knife to preserve the adhesive and especially in the case of clear stickers, having no bubbles.  If the stickers lasted for decades, I would likely not have a problem with them.  Unfortunately, as has already been stated, the ability to place the sticker has absolutely zero effect on its longevity.  The sticker will. Peel. Off.

This is a $350 set, clearly aimed for adults, one that after a few years will have the stickers degrade, which will affect its collectibility.  I'm relatively aware of the effort it takes to print pieces, and I know that it is not irrational in the least to think that every single sticker in this flagship set could, and should be printed.
    VorpalRyudougtsTXLegoguymadforLEGOgmonkey76
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,318
    Personally, if I'm paying north of AU$200 for a set at retail, I feel that TLG should be printing parts, not handing us a sticker sheet (I'd prefer all parts were printed, but that not going to happen any time soon).
    TheLoneTensorkiki180703tallblocktooxiahna
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,710
    I'm somewhat surprised that Lego has not done at least one of these:
    1. made the stickers available for sale as a replacement part
    2. made stickers downloadable as PDF documents
    3. included a second copy of the sticker sheet 

I imagine that pre-cut replacements would be problematic due to the cutting, but I don't really know how they are produced. Uncut reprints would seem to be an effective way to go for selling replacements, as they could be printed on demand using the same stock for most stickers. For all I know it may be just as easy for them to reprint pre-cut stickers. The upside for Lego is they would control the quality of the printed stickers.

Downloads run the risk of third parties producing stickers, but that is already happening to some extent. 

A second sheet of stickers is more of a feel-good thing, since eventually they would peel off too.
    Sethro3
  • monstblitzmonstblitz Hornell, NYMember Posts: 632
    I feel stickers really cheapen an otherwise quality product.  I hate applying them, and even when I do it right, I don't enjoy it.  With all the time spent printing such great deal on mini figures, I cannot understand why the actual sets have stickers. 
    VorpalRyukiki180703TXLegoguyMynattcatwrangler
  • leetshoeleetshoe USAMember Posts: 255
    l don't understand why the sign out front is a sticker when the Ecto-1 had no stickers. They are printing the unique minifigures so why are parts so much different?
    VorpalRyukiki180703dougtsTXLegoguytallblocktoo
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    edited January 2016
    I don't think they should have stickers, I'll get that out there at the beginning.
    But...
    Although we see the GBHQ as the top end ultimate product, Lego may well see it as a much less big a deal.  It almost certainley won't net them anywhere near the same amount of profit (in actual sales - not advertising where the sticker vs. print argument is irrelevant) as the next police car or fire truck set, let alone the small licenced sets that will be on Birthday and Christmas lists galore.  So when they are sitting there deciding which parts to print, which sets to alocate time on their machines; which ones are they going to choose?  So I guess the question really becomes, do you want stickers on these big sets, or no big sets at all? (I choose stickers out of those two options!)
    tallblocktoo
    I imagine the decision about what is or is not printed very much depends on the base piece. There will be machines dedicated to printed minifig parts. Want a different print? That's relatively easy - you just change the printing pads and colours. Printing a different sort of piece involves a whole lot more work setting everything up, and different pieces may be harder to do. Even when you can identify a similar piece that has actually been printed, that may have been a while ago so all that extra work still needs to be done again.

Then it gets more complicated. Was it worth printing the ghosts? Printing one type of ghost might not be worthwhile by what I've said above. However, you then get the second one "on the cheap". Or maybe there's another set with the same base piece where the decision is also borderline.
    catwrangler
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    edited January 2016
    I'm a little surprised that none of the custom printers haven't started putting out packs of printed parts for stickered sets like these. I say a little because its obviously a little dodgy although would LEGO care? Its clearly providing a service to the customer, would reduce the false sticker requests from LEGO CS, and overall partially solve a customer experience problem. Perhaps they could do it on the QT.

Would allow those that care the option of keeping their stickers nice and neat and unused with no chance of peeling etc. whilst using genuine LEGO parts.
    Aanchir said:

Why do assume that I consider it a burden?  I'm very good at lining up stickers, using an Xacto knife to preserve the adhesive and especially in the case of clear stickers, having no bubbles.  If the stickers lasted for decades, I would likely not have a problem with them.  Unfortunately, as has already been stated, the ability to place the sticker has absolutely zero effect on its longevity.  The sticker will. Peel. Off.
    No stickers from any sets I've bought in the past eight years have peeled off, and I buy a LOT of sets with stickers. Even among the sets I own from before then, there's only ONE I've seen peeling/cracking on its own. I'm not saying that stickers NEVER peel, but I see no reason to think it's inevitable.
    Aanchir said:

No stickers from any sets I've bought in the past eight years have peeled off, and I buy a LOT of sets with stickers. Even among the sets I own from before then, there's only ONE I've seen peeling/cracking on its own. I'm not saying that stickers NEVER peel, but I see no reason to think it's inevitable.
    Take a couple of hundred printed pieces and put them in a container, as you would for building a MOC. Have a gentle rummage, as you do - but with a bit of respect because they are, after all, printed.

Do the same using pieces with stickers.

Do you want try telling anybody that the results would not be markedly different? Terminally, so?
  • Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,120
    I completely stopped putting stickers on any set I build. I just store them in a box with the rest. I have yet to see a sticker peel but why take the risk. I find myself tearing down so many sets that I build just to reuse the pieces that the stickers end up being a hassle.
    edited January 2016
    TigerMoth said:
    Aanchir said:

Take a couple of hundred printed pieces and put them in a container, as you would for building a MOC. Have a gentle rummage, as you do - but with a bit of respect because they are, after all, printed.

Do the same using pieces with stickers.

Do you want try telling anybody that the results would not be markedly different? Terminally, so?
    I think I'd be about as worried about both sets of pieces, to be honest! I think the amount of stirring it would take for a typical stickered piece to start to peel (assuming the sticker is applied well) would be just as likely to do a number on a printed piece. I might actually be MORE worried about the printed pieces just because damaged stickers can be replaced a lot more easily than damaged printing.

I might be more or less worried about the stickered pieces depending on what pieces they are. As much as I love stickers, there are some parts that I believe stickers simply do not work very well for (like 1x1 or 2x2 cylinders). But when it comes to, say, curved wedge slopes, the majority of those I own that aren't built into sets are loose in a bin, stickered and printed parts alike, and I've never really worried about either of them getting damaged from all the stirring around. Same goes for my bin of Technic panels, which includes both stickered and printed pieces.

From my experience, LEGO stickers have been very reliable if they're treated well (i.e. if I don't peel them off and then try to re-apply them later, which I foolishly did with the stickers from #10026 in order to try MOCing a Naboo Royal Starship).
  • monkyby87monkyby87 Member Posts: 316
    I don't mind stickers...printed pieces don't allow for much reuse of certain pieces if I want.  I can choose not to put on stickers and then use that piece for whatever I want. 
  • RobertoRoberto Imola, ItalyMember Posts: 117
    Aanchir said:
    Same here.

While I can see the obvious weakness of sticked paper opposed to printed parts, I can also see an exaggeration in terms of bad reputation and trust, and that generates hate above them in a too simplified way, making of stickers something like a witch-hunt.

Everything in this world which is well preserved has better chances to last longer.
    A well placed sticker has definitely good chances to last very much longer than one placed in a completely rough and fast way. Just take a look over ebay or bricklink sales to realize what differences are between the two categories. Look at the ones which stickers are for a half inside and for a half outside of the brick and are already peeling off, then come back and say me they have the same chances to last than the others..

• xwingpilotxwingpilot UKMember Posts: 797
    I bought replacement aftermarket stickers for #10240 in case the originals ever peel. I called LEGO customer services to buy an official replacement but they said they couldn't supply them due to licencing restrictions. As a purist I wouldn't normally buy anything unofficial, but after dropping £170 on a UCS set without printed parts I'm not prepared to leave it to chance...
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 898
    I think that the stickers are indeed a slight shame, though I particularly agree with an earlier poster about the lack of a printed Ghostbusters symbol for the sign - having seen the number of very specific printed elements that were made for the Doctor Who Ideas set it's surprising that there are no specific printed pieces at all.

That said, this looks great - I was up for it before and @drdavewatford 's review has pretty much sold it.  Just a slight shame about how Ecto-1 can only fit in with a bit of messing about.

• cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    10 years ago stickers that were applied firmly and never touched would after a few years peel off and completely disintegrate so I can see where the quality issue comes from although I haven't experienced any issues recently. However, even when put on brilliantly, stickers don't look as good, you can often see the edge, colours don't match, and if not perfectly applied you get bubbles and marks on transparent ones and my feeling (maybe wrong) gaps are bigger. Not go mention all those that aren't quite central.
    VorpalRyutallblocktoo
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    My #10019 UCS Rebel Blockade Runner was on display for about 2.5 years and the stickers disintegrated into small bits without even being touched. Almost had heart palpitations when I finally noticed what was happening. It affected about 6 large stickers on the engines half cylinders, with more starting to show the effects. The sticker on the Satellite dish started curling and parts just chipped off, like brittle paint. I was forced to source an extra sticker sheet from BL for ~$100!

This UCS set was only $200 when new and available, now being worth ~$750 Used and ~$2K New. But because TLG cut corners and went with stickers instead of printed pieces, this beautiful beast is gutted a few years after building. Where a replacement sheet ended up costing 50% of the RRP. I would gladly have paid an addition $25 for them to go the printed part route.

Now consider the GB HQ is $350 RRP, it really is unexcusable that such a large and high quality set would be cheapened with such stickers. How much more do you think it would have cost them to print all those parts instead of stickers?
    VorpalRyugmonkey76
    edited January 2016
    mr_benn said:
    ...having seen the number of very specific printed elements that were made for the Doctor Who Ideas set it's surprising that there are no specific printed pieces at all.

There are a couple unique printed pieces they showed in the video, like the fake Time magazine and newspaper tiles.  The boombox and star pieces are certainly going to be used elsewhere though.

Again, those things were printed, but not the GB symbol (plus, Vigo's portrait would have been a totally worthy candidate for printing).  I'm just miffed that Lego half-assed it with a couple critical facets of this set (stickers, Ecto-1 not fitting), when they didn't have to half-ass it.
    VorpalRyu
  • gratefulnatgratefulnat SwitzerlandMember Posts: 356
    My #10019 UCS Rebel Blockade Runner was on display for about 2.5 years and the stickers disintegrated into small bits without even being touched.
    Same thing here, but only with the cockpit stickers.
    I made the mistake back when I noticed the peeling/disintegration to apply minor amounts of super glue which ended up making the sticker look like shite and dissolved some of the plastic. Live and learn...

Unfortunately did the same with 7163 ...

These are the only two sets I owne of which I am aware of crap quality stickers, maybe I'm lucky...

On the whole I am rather ambivalent about the issue, sometimes I apply them, sometimes not, sometimes carefully, othertimes they just get slapped on.
    Thankfully I just don't worry about whether they will peel or not (I do have my worries, but they do not include peeling stickers anymore).

Just as with Kwik-E-Mart/Simpsons house (or other sets I really like with many stickers), I will apply them to GB HQ, and carefully. The little details just add a lot to the aesthetics of the model.

Very excited for this build, set already on its way!!
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,145
    I've never been partial to stickers.  TLG is making it harder and harder to avoid them however.  I dislike them due to my own inability to place them accurately without looking like my 1 year old applied them!  Anyway....these days, stickers are often times chock full of detail and without, the set looks more plain.  I wish there was a happy medium.
    Mordoor
    My #10019 UCS Rebel Blockade Runner was on display for about 2.5 years and the stickers disintegrated into small bits without even being touched. Almost had heart palpitations when I finally noticed what was happening. It affected about 6 large stickers on the engines half cylinders, with more starting to show the effects. The sticker on the Satellite dish started curling and parts just chipped off, like brittle paint. I was forced to source an extra sticker sheet from BL for ~$100!
    Stories like this are exactly the reason I think the worst of the "sticker horror" is behind us. If it only took two and a half years for the stickers of those days to fail catastrophically, yet not ONE of my stickers from the past eight years has failed at all, what that indicates to me is that the stickers today (and probably for many years before today) are better, higher-quality stickers than the ones that were afflicted with this problem. It makes no sense to assume "sticker horror" is a lingering problem when pretty much all the horror stories I've heard are isolated to sets that came out more than a decade ago, which presented symptoms of this problem less than five years after the stickers were applied.
    gratefulnatkiki180703Lyichircatwrangler
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    edited January 2016
    ^But you didn't ask me for additional "Sticker Stories" yet =)

Stickers from the Racer line like for the Ferrari or Lambo are not prone to brittle disintegration like the early-00's sets such as the UCS Rebel Blockade. Instead, these stickers were changed to be the white paper type with a light strength adhesive. The result is lifting at corners and curling over time. This is happening on the driver headlight of my yellow Lamborghini #8169 that I just noticed 3 days ago when dusting them. And don't even get me started on the STAMPS (Stickers Across Multiple Pieces).

This also happened on my #7676 Republic Gunship for the Hazard Arrows near the cockpit and the large character picture on the bay door, as they were the same type of white paper sticker sheet. All of this is odd since my sets are built once for display but never played with, so the stickered parts aren't even moving around (even when stored, they are placed in small ziplocs separate from regular bricks in the set).

A couple years now, it seems they've switched the type of adhesive to be stronger so I haven't seen much problems for these newer sets. But then again they haven't had enough time exposed either, so we'll have to wait a while to see if it's better.

I apply all my stickers, as I believe its an important part of the look of any set and to make it as accurate as possible. I just simply buy an extra sheet or two for long term posterity & reassurance. And I'm darn good too at placing them perfectly, a skilled I honed early on when doing plastic models of planes & cars using the water decals. But that still doesn't change the fact that stickers suck compared to printed parts. The only remaining factor to consider is how much added cost would it have been to go printed versus the sticker. If TLG tells me it's an extra $10 or $20 on a $350 set, I know what I would choose.
    oldtodd33
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    Has anyone seen a photo or video showing how the Ghostbusters HQ scales next to a regular modular building? If so, can you link or post? Thanks!
  • bluedragonbluedragon United StatesMember Posts: 505
    I bought replacement aftermarket stickers for #10240 in case the originals ever peel. I called LEGO customer services to buy an official replacement but they said they couldn't supply them due to licencing restrictions. As a purist I wouldn't normally buy anything unofficial, but after dropping £170 on a UCS set without printed parts I'm not prepared to leave it to chance...
    Mine came with 3 sets of stickers!! Yet to be applied )-;
  • 3stackshs3stackshs Member Posts: 299
    Has anyone seen a photo or video showing how the Ghostbusters HQ scales next to a regular modular building? If so, can you link or post? Thanks!

someone posted some on EB
    edited January 2016
    ^ That's kinda like saying "your ball is over in that cornfield over there" and just pointing to the field.
    Jern92brickupdateMynattkiki180703BumblepantsricecakeSethro3LostInTranslation
    edited January 2016
    ^ No - it's in THAT field, over there.  Not the other one.
    kiki180703
    ^ That's kinda like saying "your ball is over in that cornfield over there" and just pointing to the field.
    I don't know the rules for linking to other forums. It would be quite obvious how to find it.  Most cornfields aren't categorized and don't have search functions.  If you really need me to hold your hand I'll pm you the link.
    dougts
    Not my pics....but here they are for those that don't Internet good
    brickupdateBuriedinBricksMynattkiki180703SumoLegogmonkey76iso3200