Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Angry Birds maker Rovio signs toy deal with Lego

2»

Comments

• dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,394
    hmmmm......I can see Lego trying to increase their IP portfolio due to Dimensions. Keep in mind they can have nothing Marvel or Disney so something like this might work for Lego beyond just making sets.....that being said this bird does not look Lego enough for me. 
  • LordofLegoLordofLego Member Posts: 310
    I like that they look a bit like rock monsters, but they still look like Duplo to me. Meh.
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,764
    Rovio have just announced that they are releasing Angry Birds 2 at the end of the month, so it sounds like they are planning to trying to keep as much publicity as possible till the movie/Lego come out next year.
    They have now had 3 billion game downloads apparently.

• WatfordScottyMWatfordScottyM Member Posts: 485
    As if we didn't know already, Lego were a few years too late on this license.

I want to like it, but I just think it's going to be a total flop.

http://techcrunch.com/2015/08/26/rovio-to-cut-260-jobs-as-the-angry-birds-franchise-becomes-irrelevant/
    VorpalRyu
  • Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,003
    They probably had to cut the jobs to save the money they had to pay TLG to make the sets. 
    kiki180703pharmjodVorpalRyu
  • MynattMynatt OH/NYMember Posts: 626
    Official Teaser Trailer for the new Angry Birds Movie.

Aleydita
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,356
    I'm shocked. I didn't hate that trailer!
    kiki180703matticus_bricks
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 15,095
    ^  I have no idea what that is.  Apparently, a formulaic kid's movie.

I feel another Rio-esque franchise. 
  • chuxtoyboxchuxtoybox Member Posts: 711
    Looks like if you're hoping for Steam Punk you'll have to hope LEGO builds that pig's ship.
  • tedwardtedward CanadaMember Posts: 163
    Fauch said:
    now I wonder why there is no lego scrooge mc duck yet?

Oi! I loved Uncle Scrooge comics as a kid. I would kill for Scrooge and Huey, Dewey and Louie, Junior Woodchucks! 

It would be a huge success. They could sell seven, maybe eight ... sets. ;)
  • theLEGOmantheLEGOman UKMember Posts: 1,524
    I wonder what graphics they will use in the instructions to depict not throwing the angry birds at each other.
  • AleyditaAleydita BelgiumMember Posts: 945
    edited September 2015
    I actually laughed out loud watching that preview. Oh yeah, what is the signpost at the end meant to be saying? I thought I heard various things and most of them were pretty rude.
  • SparkyHamSparkyHam Bristol, UKMember Posts: 141
    edited December 2015

Spotted these at one of my local Lego haunts in Hong Kong (so $320 is approx £30). Huw says they've probably escaped via a factory, which I reckon to be the case too. I had a good look at them, and even though I don't like 'moulds' I'm pretty impressed at the quality of printing on these things.
    The printing may be good, but they look dreadful.
    kiki180703
    When they have loads left they could be useful for parts at 50-75% off.
    77ncaachampskhmellymelkiki180703
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,984
    Those sets look great! Really detailed, with lots of functionality and lots of character. The piggies' vehicles look appropriately jury-rigged. And I love the construction of the slingshot-catapult in the castle set, even though it could have been cool if the designers had found a way to make actual slingshots work, in the spirit of the Angry Birds games.

It's going to be sort of a shame if the movie tanks and all that good set design goes to waste, but then again, I guess the same could be said for the Lone Ranger and Prince of Persia sets, which were also well-designed sets based on "risky" new Hollywood properties. As nice as it is to get great sets on discount, I tend to have a designer-oriented mindset and like to see great designs get rewarded. A set that lingers until it goes on clearance is great for us AFOLs, but a set that sells like hotcakes without any markdowns tells a designer that they did their job and did it well.

On the plus side, I did like what I saw of the Angry Birds movie trailer (surprisingly, considering how little story the games have and how many tremendously bad movie adaptations of video games there have been over the years), so maybe its chances are better than I'd ordinarily expect. It also has some advantages over Prince of Persia and The Lone Ranger in that its characters are inherently very "toyetic". I see a lot of Angry Birds merchandise still in stores even with the video game's peak popularity having been so long ago. So a movie might actually be enough to rejuvenate the brand. I'm sure that's what Rovio is hoping.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFW/BGMember Posts: 7,355
    The ship set is loaded with good parts in good colors. Liking those sails too. Will be looking out for discounts on that one for sure.
    BuriedinBrickskiki180703
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,950
    Is the idea that the sets can also be knocked apart by flinging the birds at them like in the app? It seems like that would be an obvious play feature but not one that seems to be there from a cursory glance at the pictures.
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,615
    edited December 2015
    I'm not sure how is the rouble but that looks expensive? That would translate to 150€ for the boat? unless the rouble is still pretty low?
    well, hard to think the price over here will be much more than half of that.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,916
    I dig the castle for sure. Will pick these up on closeout (which they will go to even if they start off popular) strictly for parts. No way parents are gonna pay typical LEGO prices for this property. This is of course just my opinion and if I'm wrong, that's OK by me too.
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    Fauch said:
    I'm not sure how is the rouble but that looks expensive? That would translate to 150€ for the boat? unless the rouble is still pretty low?
    well, hard to think the price over here will be much more than half of that.

Divide by 80 for euro; by 100 for sterling. So the boat's about €75 / £60.
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,615
    wow, guess it has fallen low. when I was in russia 3 years ago I divided by 40.

The castle actually looks interesting. I suppose it's just the facade and rear tower.
  • wardmwardm BelgiumMember Posts: 856
    Set 75823 could be used (with some redesigning) as yoda's swamp hut on Dagobah! 
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,442
    Glad I'm not buying these sets. Even if I want a few parts, BL will be the way to go for me.
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 589
    There's a new hot dog piece in the Hot Dog stand. That being said, does it seem macabre to anyone else that the pig is selling hot dogs?

SumoLegopharmjodkiki180703Aanchir
    ^ You are assuming a hot dog actually comes from a pig...
    binaryeye
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,916
    Maybe they're kosher dogs
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 589
    ^^ Mechanically separated pork, beef and chicken.
  • ricecakericecake Maryland, USAMember Posts: 878
    bluedragonadiemckiki180703SumoLego
  • Pumpkin_3CK5Pumpkin_3CK5 CaliforniaMember Posts: 805
    SumoLego said:
    ^  I have no idea what that is.  Apparently, a formulaic kid's movie.

I feel another Rio-esque franchise. 
     Angry Birds did have Rio featured in their game iIrc. Be cool to see a crossover movie since they already have some history.
  • brumeybrumey AustriaMember Posts: 1,002
    *cough*

next one please...

where is my GLEN A. LARSON themes ?
    kiki180703
  • thedoctor46thedoctor46 UKMember Posts: 213
    For some positivity, from the small pictures we've seen, I like them, I want three of them :-)
  • thedoctor46thedoctor46 UKMember Posts: 213
    I've looked again, make that four...
    edited December 2015
    They aren't afraid to take chances, that's for sure!

Racoon feet and pigeon heads have never looked so tasty!
    kiki180703ricecake
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,984
    Okay, I FINALLY found the original catalog those scans are from (which I don't think anybody else has reported on). Here's a link: http://catalogs.lego.com/BrandCatalog/BrandCatalogue1HY2016/RU_1HY2016/?Page=80 The PDF version gets a lot bigger than the tiny images everybody else has been reporting on, so that's good news for people who want to see these images in more detail.
    sklamb
  • flordflord CanadaMember Posts: 796
    I doubt this is news but Angry Birds Lego is now up for sale a couple of weeks early on amazon.ca. The Castle doesn't look too shabby.

https://www.amazon.ca/LEGO-Angry-Castle-Building-859-Piece/dp/B01BC3GOH6/ref=sr_1_45?m=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&s=toys&ie=UTF8&qid=1458004627&sr=1-45&keywords=lego
  • kiki180703kiki180703 Montreal, CanadaMember Posts: 1,060
    edited March 2016
    @flord $110!??!?? That's so expensive! I do like it but still...
  • legomentallegomental UkMember Posts: 367

£74.99 here which is a bit eye watering for that set

• kiki180703kiki180703 Montreal, CanadaMember Posts: 1,060
    @legomental Yeah, that would be the equivalent of around $150 in CAD.
  • DedgeckoDedgecko Seattle, WAMember Posts: 798
    They should do some vertical integration stuff.  All the birds with custom, unique catapults / launchers are sold separately in starter packs for $5-$10, and the sets just include piggies, eggs, and Rube Goldberg hysterics.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFW/BGMember Posts: 7,355
    Angry Birds Movie 2 is apparently a thing. Anyone think Lego will be back for round 2? I guess no and I hope no.
    gmonkey76SumoLego
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 980
    Angry Birds Movie 2 is apparently a thing. Anyone think Lego will be back for round 2? I guess no and I hope no.
    At this point we'd probably have heard about it if they were. I wouldn't mind another go at the theme (especially since the first brought with it some great parts and recolors), but I imagine that even setting aside whether the theme performed well or not last time, there's just less of a niche for it this year with so many other big animated movie licenses like The Lego Movie 2, Frozen 2, and Toy Story 4.
    SumoLego
  • CaptainRogersCaptainRogers Greensboro, NCMember Posts: 860
    With all of the Angry Bird sets I got for 75% off, I'd be fine with it coming back... But don't see it happening. 
    datsunrobbiegmonkey76SumoLegokiki180703
    I would doubt it at this point.  It's release date is August 19th - I imagine they'd want the product out in July.  We'd probably have seen some indication of a wave of sets in the 2019 retailer catalogs.
    stlux