Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Death star should i buy?

didibolt10didibolt10 SingaporeMember Posts: 4
edited December 2015 in Buying & Selling Topics
Ah , the classic question . Should I  buy?  Simply put , the death star 10188 costs $900 here in Singapore and im stuck between saving up for the upcoming TFA sets coming in 2016 and buying this set as its retiring in about 2 weeks tops . Idk if its that worth it and I really need a second opinion , can someone or anyone enlighten me on their experiences with this set or their personal opinion if its worth it??? I'm a massive fan of the original trilogy and i really dont want those memories to fade away with the new movies coming out on a yearly basis . Furthermore , the least of my worries , is that the thing will go up in value if I do not buy it immediately .....

Comments

• pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,886
    If you want it, buy it. TFA sets will be around for at least a year or two. I think probably two or more. Death star is on life support at this point now. Worst case scenario is sell it later to pay for the other sets you want.
  • AltairAltair FranceMember Posts: 50
    I have it and never regretted buying it, it is the highlight of my SW collection! However I paid 380 Euros for it. Not sure that it is worth 900 S$ (586 Euros), especially given that you can still find it for example on amazon.com for only 399 US$ (or on bricklink for about the same)
  • didibolt10didibolt10 SingaporeMember Posts: 4
    I was also considering buying the  new MF and the UCS TIE fighter , would those be better options in the long run ? 
    Oh because it only ships to the US on amazon , therefore I am only able to source out the set from local suppliers , and it was not easy to find , considering it was released in 2008 , therefore I was happy at first . However , I started getting doubts once I saw the price....
    There are several on bricklink.com with shipping apparently available to Singapore. As for the new MF and UCS Tie Fighter, I am not crazy about them (I have the 7965 MF and the 9492 TF which I like better personally) 
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    I have the DS, but not yet built. I have all the new TFA sets, built and on display in front of me right now. I am still waiting to buy the UCS TIE & Slave-1.

Just IMO but If I had to choose between the 3 choices it would go in order of DS, UCS, TFA. 

DS because it's just special and the build looks one-of-a-kind experience. It's about to retire and would be urgent. There will be a cost penalty if you miss the window.

UCS because they really are the ultimate iterations of both vehicles. You get your money's worth from the build and final piece. Still plenty of shelf time left.

TFA last because the vehicles and builds are good but nothing special, it's all about the figs. They will be around for plenty of time and you can wait it out for discounts as the newer wave comes out. 

• hmnicollhmnicoll Member Posts: 65
    Isn't there supposed to be a new one coming next year? You could just wait for that 
    That's just a rumor, not confirmed at all...
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,435
    edited December 2015
    hmnicoll said:
    Isn't there supposed to be a new one coming next year? You could just wait for that 
    That is of course if the rumored new one is anything like the #10188. If it is more of a model and not a collection of playsets like #10188, or a otherwise different version of what #10188 is, you may be disappointed.

So to the OP I guess, like everyone asking 'should I buy a set?', it is up to you. :-)
    If you like this one, buy it before it goes, even with the specter of another coming out because:
    A) you do not know if it will be like the #10188
    B) Even if it is exactly like the #10188, but an updated design, it will be likely more expensive than this one.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,886
    You can 100% guarantee that even if it were a copy of the existing one, it will be more expensive. I think Disney is gonna want to push stuff from its current movies as will LEGO. I honestly don't expect to see nearly as much original trilogy stuff moving forward. We will just have to wait and see I guess.
    Alright guys I've made my decision,I'm buying it .Moreover ,I've just watched the movie today and personally I thought that it was great !! Anywho ,I'm picking it up in 2 hours or so ,so expect to see some pictures or follow ups.Great thanks to pharmjod ,madforLEGO,Altair ,hmnicoll and BrickDancer for sharing your opinions with me and helping me to come to this decision.I hope I can continue to see you guys around for a long time and helping out others within the community .Lastly ,another great thanks to all those who put in the time and effort to read and respond to my enquiries ,May the force be with you !!!
This discussion has been closed.

Shopping at LEGO.com or Amazon?

Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon

Recent discussions Categories Privacy Policy

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Brickset.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, the Amazon.com.ca, Inc. Associates Program and the Amazon EU Associates Programme, which are affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.