Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Bricklinking Green Grocer

Comments

• PaperballparkPaperballpark Near ManchesterMember Posts: 4,133
    The only substitution I made in mine was the 1x8 Sand Green Bricks. Yes, I did pay a silly amount for the 1x2 bricks with groove, but to me, they're essential for the look of it.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,219
    Pitfall69 said:

^Sell your sealed copy and Bricklink a copy.

I have a sealed copy of GG, and I'd rather open it than try to BL one at this point. People seem to also forget the time and effort it takes to do this. Also the overhead you are paying in shipping costs alone, and if the seller you are buying from has a minimum amount you must purchase even though you only need 2 dollars in parts, getting the exact parts for the time it was released (for me this is a must to actually 'own' the set), etc.

For some people it is fun, and I did it for Market Street, but will never do it for a full scale mod (and I have a CC in box that will be opened for the same reason).
    MrJ_NYBuriedinBricksFollowsCloselyRsa33snowhitie
  • OmastarOmastar Member Posts: 8
    I have a question: would 1x2 sand green masonry/profile bricks be a good replacement for the grooved 1x2s, as opposed to plain ones? If so, then I may try to undertake this project.
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    Omastar said:

I have a question: would 1x2 sand green masonry/profile bricks be a good replacement for the grooved 1x2s, as opposed to plain ones? If so, then I may try to undertake this project.

I don't know how that would look but I would love to see it. :smile:

A few of the grooved 1x2s are not visible. At least the 'groove' isn't visible, but the flat surface may be. I can't remember the exact count now but I think it's less than 5. If you go this route I would pick up a few regular 1x2s as well so you will be covered in case there is an area where you would need a flat finish rather than masonry.
    CircleK said:

Omastar said:

A few of the grooved 1x2s are not visible. At least the 'groove' isn't visible, but the flat surface may be. I can't remember the exact count now but I think it's less than 5. If you go this route I would pick up a few regular 1x2s as well so you will be covered in case there is an area where you would need a flat finish rather than masonry.
    Ok, thanks for the help! I'll try to figure out if I like how it looks this way and then look into getting the pieces.
    Omastar said:

CircleK said:

Omastar said:

Ok, thanks for the help! I'll try to figure out if I like how it looks this way and then look into getting the pieces.
    I'm honestly intrigued by this idea as well. So much so that I'm thinking about ordering the masonry bricks and trying it myself. I will post some pics if I end up doing it.
  • fixitbobbyfixitbobby Member Posts: 17
    I'm thinking of doing this as well. You could always use regular sand green 1x2s and hope Lego re-uses the 1x2 with groove in the future. That would bring the price way down, like the earth blue arch used in Market Street and Café Corner that was recently used in WVM. Another thing to consider, if you are going to sandwich the Green Grocer between two other buildings, you may only need to purchase Sand green bricks that are visible from the front of the building and use other colors for the sides and back.
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 1,048
    CircleK said:

It seems like a lot of people opt for the sand blue grocers now to keep the price down. While I think the sand blue versions look nice, I never would want to take the Green out of the Green Grocer. Another option that I think looks ok is simply subbing the modified sand green 1x2s with regular 1x2s. The 56 bricks needed for the facade will now cost < $10. Yes, the aesthetic will take a step backwards but it really doesn't look as bad as you may think. Someone posted a pic here of a grocer with that substitution made once. I don't remember who it was but I thought it may have been @Paperballpark‌.

^ Wise man.

Use the plain boring 1x2 now and be patient. The 1x2 with a groove will come back in sand green eventually, then you can pick them up for $.10 instead of the $3+ a block.

• dragon114dragon114 United StatesMember Posts: 640
    Gavin83 said:

I actually bought the 1x2 grooved bricks a while back when they were cheap as I figured they'd jump up in price. I haven't actually got around to bricklinking the rest of the set yet....

think the 1x8 are expensive to. I'm cutting costs by doing it in blue

• Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444

CircleK said:

It seems like a lot of people opt for the sand blue grocers now to keep the price down. While I think the sand blue versions look nice, I never would want to take the Green out of the Green Grocer. Another option that I think looks ok is simply subbing the modified sand green 1x2s with regular 1x2s. The 56 bricks needed for the facade will now cost < $10. Yes, the aesthetic will take a step backwards but it really doesn't look as bad as you may think. Someone posted a pic here of a grocer with that substitution made once. I don't remember who it was but I thought it may have been @Paperballpark‌.

^ Wise man.

Use the plain boring 1x2 now and be patient. The 1x2 with a groove will come back in sand green eventually, then you can pick them up for $.10 instead of the $3+ a block.

You must be one of many people hoping for a return of the UCS Millennium Falcon as well ;)

Seriously, once you start substituting too much, you don't end up with the Green Grocer, you end up with a bastardization of the Green Grocer. Red and Blue Grocer is NOT the Green Grocer. If you change the aesthetics of the building too much, you have an MOC, not the Green Grocer.

If you have the GG in a sealed box and want to build it, but it is cost prohibited because of the price; sell the sealed copy and buy a used copy. I think right now the difference is about $300 USD between a used and sealed copy.

• FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 1,048
    ^ I sold all of my 10179, including my personal one. On that line of thought my modular building (specifically MS and CC) are on thin ice as I can't justify holding onto a set once it passes a certain line. A few thousand $ can be better invested/spent that sitting in baggies in a bin in the basement.
    Pitfall69

^ I sold all of my 10179, including my personal one. On that line of thought my modular building (specifically MS and CC) are on thin ice as I can't justify holding onto a set once it passes a certain line. A few thousand $ can be better invested/spent that sitting in baggies in a bin in the basement.

That's exactly why I sold my MS. I couldn't justify holding onto a set I didn't like for the money I got for it. Now that I know that the MS is an "official" Modular, I kinda wish I didn't sell it. Which leads me to this:

If you have a sealed copy and want build it, but are having second thoughts because of how much it is worth; you could sell your sealed copy and buy a used one and pocket the difference.

If you have the time and patience, you could sell your sealed copy and Bricklink yourself a copy without instructions and Minifigures and save a little more money.

• jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    ^ But then.....as you've stated before yourself -- would you own it, really?
    Buying used and BL'ing is no guarantee of original parts, right?

I'm just playing devil's advocate, since that's the other side of the issue I've heard :open_mouth:
    Pitfall69
    jasor said:

^ But then.....as you've stated before yourself -- would you own it, really?
    Buying used and BL'ing is no guarantee of original parts, right?

I'm just playing devil's advocate, since that's the other side of the issue I've heard :open_mouth:

I did not want to get into that discussion in this thread. Everyone already knows my opinion on that topic ;)

I have mentioned this before, but the Sand Green in the Haunted House is darker than the Sand Green in the Green Grocer. I bought a bunch of Sand Green 1×4 and 1x2 a few years ago before the Haunted House was released. They were brand new (at the time) and I have had them in storage for a while now. I decided to compare those parts with the Haunted House parts.

The lighting is horrible as well as the camera, but you can tell the parts on the right (HH) are darker than the ones on the left (picture 1) Also, the molds are different. None of my Haunted House parts had hollow pins, but most of my Bricklinked parts had hollow pins (picture 2).

jasormadforLEGO
    Pitfall69 said:

Seriously, once you start substituting too much, you don't end up with the Green Grocer, you end up with a bastardization of the Green Grocer. Red and Blue Grocer is NOT the Green Grocer. If you change the aesthetics of the building too much, you have an MOC, not the Green Grocer.

I think the majority of people going the Bricklink route have already resigned themselves to building a "something like" Green Grocer, rather than a legit copy. I stayed as true to the original as possible by only subbing the 1x8s, but I've enjoyed seeing some of the alterations that others have done. You can make several subtle changes to reduce costs that won't compromise the aesthetic or spirit of the original model. Replacing a sand green hinge or a train window doesn't make the building look any less like a Green Grocer. Some of those changes may actually be an improvement in my opinion.

The only problem I see with making substitutions is resale value. If ever a time comes when the 1x8s are rereleased then I will buy them for that reason alone.

On another note:

I ordered some sand green masonry bricks today bc I really want to see what a GG looks like with that change. I'm busy as hell right now but will get it built and post pics as soon as I can.
    CircleK said:

Pitfall69 said:

I think the majority of people going the Bricklink route have already resigned themselves to building a "something like" Green Grocer, rather than a legit copy. I stayed as true to the original as possible by only subbing the 1x8s, but I've enjoyed seeing some of the alterations that others have done. You can make several subtle changes to reduce costs that won't compromise the aesthetic or spirit of the original model. Replacing a sand green hinge or a train window doesn't make the building look any less like a Green Grocer. Some of those changes may actually be an improvement in my opinion.

The only problem I see with making substitutions is resale value. If ever a time comes when the 1x8s are rereleased then I will buy them for that reason alone.

On another note:

I ordered some sand green masonry bricks today bc I really want to see what a GG looks like with that change. I'm busy as hell right now but will get it built and post pics as soon as I can.
    Oh, ok! I guess I'll take a look at the finished result and make my decision based on how it ends up.
    edited January 2015
    @CircleK‌ Oh yes, I really enjoy seeing other peoples creations. Can't wait to see the masonry brick version.

That is why I did not get into the topic too much, but that is also why I resurrected the thread because I wanted to know what a 100% genuine Bricklinked Green Grocer is costing now a days.

Did you get your avatar name from the convenience stores of the same name?
  • fixitbobbyfixitbobby Member Posts: 17
    I don't have to have a 100% original green grocer, just one that looks similar to it on my Lego street. :) On another topic, I see some people mentioning bricklinking Townhall. How about the 50 or so 1x8s used in it...
    Pitfall69 said:

Did you get your avatar name from the convenience stores of the same name?

Nah - I'm in no way affiliated with the convenience stores. The avatar name just comes from a stupid inside joke between my friends and I. I wish I would have thought that one through a little more before choosing it. :smile:
    CircleK said:

Pitfall69 said:

What outlet did you order them? I tried BnP, but they are sold out/overcommitted now.
    edited January 2015
    jasor said:

What outlet did you order them? I tried BnP, but they are sold out/overcommitted now.

Ran into the same thing so I went the more $$$ avenue. I bought them on BL for a hefty $0.42 a piece (so almost double what they go for on BnP I think). There was also an eBay seller who had lots of 50 for around the same amount as BL, but they sold out almost immediately.
    Thanks! ^^ We'll see how BnP handles them with the other set out this year
    Ok... Pics of a Green Grocer done in masonry as promised. Sorry for the crappy quality - I was in a rush and just generally suck at taking pictures. I will try to upload some better shots when I have more time. Here is a link to the Flikr album:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157650704148036/

My thoughts:

I'm a HUGE fan of the masonry profile brick. I think that is why I like the new DO so much even though I'm admittedly not much of a Modular guy. That being said... I'm not sure how I feel about them on the grocer. My biggest issue is that it has a run of 1x1s on the left hand side. The smooth finish of the 1x1s sticks out like a sore thumb and kind of breaks 'masonry' effect. It it wasn't for that I think I would love it. The two runs on the sides of the bay look great though. While building it I kept thinking that it may look better to leave the modified 1x2s on the Grocery side, but replace the ones on the bay side with masonry of a different color.

What do you think?
    oldtodd33jasorCCCjadedancTheLoneTensor
  • maniacmaniac Yorkshire, UKMember Posts: 845
    CircleK said:

Ok... Pics of a Green Grocer done in masonry as promised. ...

...What do you think?

Actually tried it in LDD. Think it would be better just to only have the right hand side aka 'tower' in masonry bricks. The other side, I'd have to think of something else as pure 1x2 bricks wouldn't be enough.
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,674
    @CircleK , I like it, has great potential. Like you the 1x1 are sticking out. I find also, it is an overwhelming feeling of too many "horizontal" lines between the masonry bricks and the LBG details.
    CircleK said:

Ok... Pics of a Green Grocer done in masonry as promised. Sorry for the crappy quality - I was in a rush and just generally suck at taking pictures. I will try to upload some better shots when I have more time. Here is a link to the Flikr album:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157650704148036/

My thoughts:

I'm a HUGE fan of the masonry profile brick. I think that is why I like the new DO so much even though I'm admittedly not much of a Modular guy. That being said... I'm not sure how I feel about them on the grocer. My biggest issue is that it has a run of 1x1s on the left hand side. The smooth finish of the 1x1s sticks out like a sore thumb and kind of breaks 'masonry' effect. It it wasn't for that I think I would love it. The two runs on the sides of the bay look great though. While building it I kept thinking that it may look better to leave the modified 1x2s on the Grocery side, but replace the ones on the bay side with masonry of a different color.

What do you think?

OK, so it looks pretty good. Like you said, though, the portion next to the profile bricks looks strange there-but I guess there's no solution to that. Thanks for showing us what it looks like!
    @CircleK -- I think it looks great. If I have another shot at those 1x2 thru BnP, I will definitely be supplementing my GG
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 819
    the non masonry areas do stand out quite a bit. But otherwise it adds a lot of texture to the front. More so than I expected. Interesting idea. I still prefer my sand blue version, HOWEVER, this would be a good alternative to the expensive grooved bricks.
  • chelle2nineschelle2nines San AntonioMember Posts: 2
    Hello I too have done the Green Grocer in Masonry bricks and don't have any of the regular green bricks in the front. I saw where you where having a problem with that. I have pics but don't know how to post them up here. I am on Facebook as Michelle Christine Whitley if you want to see it.
  • chelle2nineschelle2nines San AntonioMember Posts: 2
    Thank you so much.
  • jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,303
     I like it a lot! Thanks for sharing!
  • PadraigPadraig IrelandMember Posts: 5
    That looks fantastic ColoradoBricks.  I've been thinking of doing this mod myself.  How do you integrate the masonry bricks with the sides and keep it secure? 
    edited May 2015
    chelle2nines 's as she could not post the picture.

My Brick-linked version is Sand Blue :)
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,923
    chelle2nines 's as she could not post the picture.

My Brick-linked version is Sand Blue :)
    Would love to see a picture of the sand blue one.
    @prevere you just had to ask :)

Rsa33pharmjodReesesPiecesjadedancpreverekiki180703
  • Rsa33Rsa33 USAMember Posts: 156
    44/297 lots, with 0 sand green, train windows, dark bley doors, minifigs, & all the other pricey pieces.  Bad idea right?  

Aforementioned parts alone will run $3-400; good god lol.

Damn modulars, I really want this, but buying used or misb is $$$.  Crap, what to do?
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^Buy a 'used' one, build it, then sell it later for the same amount or maybe even more. The problem is usually in trying to 'own' it and justifying that cost.
  • Rsa33Rsa33 USAMember Posts: 156
    Yah I hear you, but I'm not a reseller, merely a builder/collector...

Once it's in the collection it will stay there for good, hopefully to be passed down to future generations :)
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited May 2015
    Not sure what to tell you.  You are complaining about it being too expensive.  @BrickDancer gave you an option on how to physically enjoy it now with the option to recoup the cost (and perhaps more) by selling it later on.  Unfortunately, you added in the new requirement that it has to stay in your possession for good.  Quite the pickle.

Btw, selling something doesn't alone make you a "reseller."  There are many here who sell things to augment their hobby, but consider themselves builders and collectors first and foremost.
    Pitfall69madforLEGOSumoLegopreverekiki180703
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    While I have the built (original) sand green model on the shelf, the sand blue version is adorable, too. It is great that folks are building it in different colors because the Green Grocer is an outstanding design.

Who cares what bricks you build it with? Just build one you like, and it is YOURS! It would be fun to see about ten of these of different colors arranged right next to each other on the same block. But Gawd, that would take a major load of bricks, wouldn't it! (If I were retired, I might try this because there probably are enough bricks in my LEGO room to pull it off! Let's see....start with sand blue, light blue grey, dark blue gray, dark red, dark blue, dark green, dark orange, white, lime green, and light yellow, some of my favorite colors.)

LONG LIVE THE "SOMETHING OR OTHER COLOR" GROCER!
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 14,354
    Taupe?  Puce?
    SumoLego said:
    Taupe?  Puce?
    Right on! Don't forget the light and dark taupe, and the light and dark puce as well, okay? 
    If you live in the US and are brick linking the Green Grocer and still looking for sand green, PM me as I have some ideas that might help. Happy July Fourth to all Mericans....and throw that lit firecracker BEFORE it explodes in your hand!
    FollowsClosely
  • sweetness34sweetness34 San Diego, CA.Member Posts: 350
    edited July 2015
    legogal said:
    While I have the built (original) sand green model on the shelf, the sand blue version is adorable, too. It is great that folks are building it in different colors because the Green Grocer is an outstanding design.

Who cares what bricks you build it with? Just build one you like, and it is YOURS! It would be fun to see about ten of these of different colors arranged right next to each other on the same block. But Gawd, that would take a major load of bricks, wouldn't it! (If I were retired, I might try this because there probably are enough bricks in my LEGO room to pull it off! Let's see....start with sand blue, light blue grey, dark blue gray, dark red, dark blue, dark green, dark orange, white, lime green, and light yellow, some of my favorite colors.)

LONG LIVE THE "SOMETHING OR OTHER COLOR" GROCER!
    Would look awesome.
    All of the sand colors are my favorites along with the rest of the pastels. LEGO made a fantastic move switching from mostly all basic color bricks to many pastel colors, and this attracted many of us gals to building for ourselves instead of just buying and then sorting our families' bricks nonstop for decades.

I think that the sand green color is one reason that so many of us love Green Grocer, which is an outstanding example of how to use a pastel palette in a very warm way. 
    prevere
    Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I was wondering if anyone recently "Bricklinked" a Cafe Corner or Green Grocer and how much did it cost? 
    Legoboykiki180703SumoLego
  • William_TownsleyWilliam_Townsley Perth, Scotland Member Posts: 880
    Someone is selling the green grocer down by Isle of Wight for £190 sealed 
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,834
    ^You are taking the p.iss.
  • koshkakoshka UK/SwedenMember Posts: 193
    I've been slowly doing both for the past two years. With hindsight I'll probably end up paying what the sets would have cost me on ebay UK back when I started this. Cafe Corner is likely to be about £250-275. Green Grocer will be closer to £300 if I buy the remaining 1*8 sand green bricks that I need. They both seem to go for £400+ on ebay these days.
  • William_TownsleyWilliam_Townsley Perth, Scotland Member Posts: 880
    Legoboy said:
    ^You are taking the p.iss.
    Honestly