Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Predictions on Discontinuing Sets and their Secondary Market Value

Comments

• BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    Keep in mind that the Batcave stayed in the US a year after it was gone everywhere else.
    Brickaholicexciter1kiki180703
  • desultordesultor Southern California, USAMember Posts: 7
    I noticed the Death Star #10188 labeled as "retiring soon" at the Downtown Disney, though I know we don't put much faith in stores knowing the future.

For the few(?) of us with a couple still stashed in the attic, what's the consensus?

1. When it does retire, no update will be made, or the update will be different enough that the original will still be valued, so ownership and resale profit will be highly valued. 

Or...
  • desultordesultor Southern California, USAMember Posts: 7
    2. An update will be made that is more appealing (updated minifigs, more building detail, modernized building techniques, modernized instructions) so ownership and resale profit will be devalued.

Thanks!
  • xwingpilotxwingpilot UKMember Posts: 797
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,356
    edited December 2015
    It would appear that there is a new DS coming ou in 16, but not sure if anyone knows for sure that it is an update to the #10188. If the new DS is nothing like the #10188, meaning it is not an episode 4 minifig scale vignette version that #10188 is, then I would expect the price to rise fairly quickly.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,945
    edited December 2015
    (With referrence to the Tumbler being retired in 2016.)

There is a fairly notable movie being released this summer...

Unless there is some redesign based on the new movie, but I wouldn't expect Lego to be that aggressive about a new UCS set.
  • RobertoRoberto Imola, ItalyMember Posts: 116
    ^^Interesting considerations
    It would appear that there is a new DS coming ou in 16, but not sure if anyone knows for sure that it is an update to the #10188. If the new DS is nothing like the #10188, meaning it is not an episode 4 minifig scale vignette version that #10188 is, then I would expect the price to rise fairly quickly.
    Where did you read there will be a new Death Star in 2016?
    Roberto said:
    ^^Interesting considerations
    Where did you read there will be a new Death Star in 2016?
    http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/20942/death-star-back-from-the-dead#latest

Also I believe brickset now has an entry in its catalog for the set number, but I think little is known as to what the set will be (as it could be a few different things concerning the Death Star)

• RobertoRoberto Imola, ItalyMember Posts: 116
    ^^ Well, thank you for these good news. I hope it will be designed in a completely different way, built in a more side facing way, something like this: http://www.baronsat.net/Pages6/Death-Star-Micro-Collection/Page_Death-Star-Micro-Collection.htm

• MrJ_NYMrJ_NY A flick missle away from Brickagara FallsMember Posts: 592
    SumoLego said:
    (With referrence to the Tumbler being retired in 2016.)

There is a fairly notable movie being released this summer...

Unless there is some redesign based on the new movie, but I wouldn't expect Lego to be that aggressive about a new UCS set.
    There is indeed a "new" Batmobile for the new movie but as you said I don't see them doing a UCS version of it

http://brickset.com/sets/76045-1/Kryptonite-Interception
  • CurvedRoadPlateCurvedRoadPlate Member Posts: 256
    I think we will know more about that Death Star after the new film is released next weekend. Please stand by. 
    ^ Now you've done it!

Mumble mumble... mumbly mumble.

My sources tell me that Jar Jar backs it into a Walgreens on Veridian III.

(Take that - Professor Fancypants who thinks I don't appreciate Star Trek!)
    VorpalRyukiki180703Legoboy
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    ^ Ok. Red five standing by ;)
    Red Robin standing by...
    kiki180703MasterBeefy
    ^ Hey, hey, hey.  We don't want Huw to shut down this topic!
    kiki180703MasterBeefy
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,248
    Redd Foxx standing by...
    kiki180703xiahna
    I'm calling in the authorities!  Scotland Yard!

VorpalRyukiki180703GothamConstructionCo
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,248
    Sorry @SumoLego, but to be fair, I had read the thread and typed out my comment, had to go deal with our 19 month old & came back clicked post... Really should start refreshing the threads before I post.
    kiki180703SumoLegoxiahna
    ( I literally just did the same thing.)
    VorpalRyukiki180703
  • ChubblesChubbles USAMember Posts: 459
    that's hilarious
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    That was hilarious! I laughed. Then I felt a little bad about myself.

The sad music that comes in when the kid asked about the guy's wife killed me.
    FollowsCloselykiki180703Pitfall69dougtspiratemania7Goldchains
  • tecjamtecjam Germany / SwitzerlandMember Posts: 255
  • tick1970tick1970 LondonMember Posts: 117
    I've still got all my original toys from 78 onwards, glad to say they are in used condition. 
    RonyarYodaliciouskiki180703
  • SamuraiPeteSamuraiPete Member Posts: 35
    Does anyone know if you can still get the AT-AT #75054 anywhere for MSRP? Or do we think it's done? 
    kiki180703
  • PmhPmh netherlandsMember Posts: 127

Looks like the sea cow has retired,guess its no surprise. The whole movie line has been fading out slowly. Am still very optimistic about this set,its the best ship lego ever made. 500 in 1-2 years should be easily possible,

kiki180703
    edited December 2015
    ^^-I think the AT-AT is gone, maybe some Brick and Mortar's still have them (like Target or TRU) but wait long enough and they will make another.

Pmh said:

Looks like the sea cow has retired,guess its no surprise. The whole movie line has been fading out slowly. Am still very optimistic about this set,its the best ship lego ever made. 500 in 1-2 years should be easily possible,

You are being very optimistic. I just do not see the demand for the Sea Cow.
    FollowsCloselykiki180703Pitfall69
  • SamuraiPeteSamuraiPete Member Posts: 35
    Thanks that's what I was thinking as well
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,818
    Pmh said:

I'm guessing you don't have the Imperial Flagship. Or QAR or BP. Or most other ships they have released over the years. Even the LOTR one.
    madforLEGOSumoLegokiki180703
  • tick1970tick1970 LondonMember Posts: 117
    Does anyone know if you can still get the AT-AT #75054 anywhere for MSRP? Or do we think it's done? 
    I saw it was going soon so get a few at a good discount thru amazon FR and DE

but online getting tougher to find
    CCC said:
    Pmh said:

I'm guessing you don't have the Imperial Flagship. Or QAR or BP. Or most other ships they have released over the years. Even the LOTR one.
    I think it's better than all of those except for the IF.
  • stevemackstevemack 1567km Drive From BillundMember Posts: 896
    edited December 2015
    Yeah its well and truely gone #75054 and #75055! Sold out about a month ago on the lego website and everywhere else before that even!
    grabbed the seemingly last #75054 just now at toys r us for about $100 bucks with a coupon...you may find a couple at random stores but it's getting very hard to find them at a price that is tolerable
  • tecjamtecjam Germany / SwitzerlandMember Posts: 255
    ^^ Ah!! The good old Zurg!
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,375
    What an incredible find? Did you clean the shelves out? Some people have all the luck :0
    BumblepantsRainstorm26kiki180703VorpalRyuGoldchains
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,836
    ^I left the stack of Kruncha Spinners and the entire Galaxy Squad line. Gotta leave some for Lil' Timmy!
    Pitfall69Rainstorm26pharmjodkiki180703MasterBeefyVorpalRyuGoldchainsLostInTranslation
  • brumeybrumey AustriaMember Posts: 994
    should i keep #5590 whirl and wheel ?

its not likely to go up in price anytime soon, am i right ?
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,375
    ^Why would it go up? I would sell it now if that is your intention. 
    FollowsCloselykiki180703
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    edited December 2015
    The shelf wear is like patina on a classic car.  Isn't it beautiful?
    MrJ_NYpharmjodBumblepantsPitfall69kiki180703Yodalicious
  • ScatterbugScatterbug WalesMember Posts: 109
    Is 'Lego Again' simply internet wishful thinking or is there credence to the rumour?
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,818
    cloaked7 said:
    The shelf wear is like patina on a classic car.  Isn't it beautiful?
    But is it genuine shelf wear? Or were these sent to China to have their edges rubbed by cheap manual labour. That would explain the time lag too. :-)
    kiki180703
    edited December 2015
    ^  Funny.  They antique furniture.  Why not LEGOS?  
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    In that case, I'm selling my classic Space men with the logo worn off at a premium. They aren't "used;" they are "aged."
    VorpalRyu
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,876
    edited December 2015
    I'll have to add "real" scratches to my "fake" scratches torso of the LEGO Movie Benny fig.
    VorpalRyukiki180703
  • UKtsumiUKtsumi Member Posts: 622
    I havent read this thread since page 490,!!  so  Just a quick question, is the cargo train #60052  a good buy at  £81.?  Im no train collector so it would just be put away for a rainy day.
    thanks 
  • arathemisarathemis sometimes here, sometimes thereMember Posts: 353
    Well, I just bought a #60052 with about the equivalent of £90, having a bad/crushed box. And I think i made a great purchase, as MSRP here is equivalent of £150.
    I bought for a rainy day too, but it will have to be my rainy day :))

UKtsumi said:
    I havent read this thread since page 490,!!  so  Just a quick question, is the cargo train #60052  a good buy at  £81.?  Im no train collector so it would just be put away for a rainy day.
    thanks 
    That depends.  Does it have any 'patina' on the box?  :-)
    kiki180703
  • kiki180703kiki180703 Montreal, CanadaMember Posts: 1,031
    cloaked7 said:
    UKtsumi said:
    thanks 
    That depends.  Does it have any 'patina' on the box?  :-)
    Or should I say, does it have any sausages in it? ;)