Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

2016 Modular Building

Comments

• SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,949
    ^ I'm starting to think that the designers grew up in a town with folks with short legs.  Every City block only has two buildings before the next corner.
    VorpalRyuLego_Nerd98Adzbadboy
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 819
    You could incorporate a slide if it was a  Google HQ, right?

As far as the iconic 19th Precinct, it looks good. Although, a little too Town hall for me. Just change the windows to blue (which maybe we could use more blue window frames).

But I agree, most police HQs don't stand out to me. They blend in. They are probably in a building that wasn't designed for them anyway.
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,218
    SumoLego said:
    ^ I'm starting to think that the designers grew up in a town with folks with short legs.  Every City block only has two buildings before the next corner.
    Brick film makers will tell you, that is a long way for a mini figure to walk ;-)
    Pitfall69 said:
    I think the next modular should be a Post Office.
    It will come with tons of crushed LEGO boxes ;)
    It'll need different branding depending on country...in the UK it'll be YODEL, with delivery drivers drop kicking parcels around the neighbourhood
    Pitfall69Goldchains
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    ^that seems a little harsh... don't they do most of the drop kicking in the depot?
    Pitfall69Goldchains
    @MattsWhat - not when you see all the home CCTV footage of them punting parcels over fences ;-)
    Pitfall69Goldchains
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,375
    Sethro3 said:

As far as the iconic 19th Precinct, it looks good. Although, a little too Town hall for me. Just change the windows to blue (which maybe we could use more blue window frames).

But I agree, most police HQs don't stand out to me. They blend in. They are probably in a building that wasn't designed for them anyway.
    Yeah, the building was built in 1887 I believe. I like the color scheme. It does look a bit THish, but it doesn't have to be that tall. You could easily add more floors by buying more sets, much like people will be doing with the Brick Bank.
  • bok2bok2 Member Posts: 53
    Pitfall69 said:
    Sethro3 said:

Yeah, the building was built in 1887 I believe. I like the color scheme. It does look a bit THish, but it doesn't have to be that tall. You could easily add more floors by buying more sets, much like people will be doing with the Brick Bank.
    Or did with the Grand Emporium.
  • inklingbricksinklingbricks Member Posts: 80
    I've been collecting the newer American-style modulars (Emporium, Theatre, and DO - got a nice little 1930s Los Angeles style street going), as opposed to the European ones (Pet Shop, Restaurant) ... which leaves me with one issue, I have three corner buildings, and just one middle building!

Is anyone else thinking about how they can redesign the Brick Bank to not be a corner building? :)
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    Surely the Pet Shop would fit in an "American" layout. The apartment looks very much like a row house you'd find in Chicago (though admittedly those don't sit directly adjacent to one another), and the shop looks like any one of many storefronts I've seen in downtowns all over the US.
    FollowsCloselygmonkey76pharmjod
  • inklingbricksinklingbricks Member Posts: 80
    It's more the LA style I'm going for, but you're certainly right that it could be American. For the sake of my bank account right now and the approval of my girlfriend, though, I'm going to say it's European :P
    kiki180703
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,443
    ^ remember it's easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.
    kiki180703
  • matticus_bricksmatticus_bricks Member Posts: 648
    For a police station, I'd really like to see the Gotham City precinct. Lots of lovely gothic architecture.
    SumoLego
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    I've been collecting the newer American-style modulars (Emporium, Theatre, and DO - got a nice little 1930s Los Angeles style street going), as opposed to the European ones (Pet Shop, Restaurant) ... which leaves me with one issue, I have three corner buildings, and just one middle building!

Is anyone else thinking about how they can redesign the Brick Bank to not be a corner building? :)

Its always fun hearing differing options on which modular buildings are American style or European style. I'm in the Midwest, so FB, PS (to a certain degree), TH, DA, and the upcoming BB better represent the types of buildings in my town. Victorians like the GG are also common in historic districts. 

GE doesn't really resemble the shopping complexes that I'm accustomed to though. I always considered it more of a European style building. 
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 551
    Police Precinct would be great, especially if it came with a helicopter armed with flick-fire missles. Surely they could fit some printed donut tiles and sausages in there too.
    SumoLego
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,296
    a helicopter with flick fire missiles is too violent. it should only shoot pizzas and donuts.
    AanchirAyliffe
    There should also be some super jumpers.  That way all of the confusing play features that AFOLs detest can be covered.

And a Space Skull.
    MattsWhat
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,346
    *bump! Hello 668 comments (which I mostly skipped).

OK I just got my first modular, and now I thought lets take a look at this one too.
    The hook, well in this case a pulley, attached to the rooftop of the pointed façade, is so totally Amsterdam. I really like that! Those bullion-bars in grey on the façade of the bank are also really nice details. This building with all it's neoclassical features looks super. The whole money laundering theme is just so full of irony. I love this new modular.

CM4S said:
    Rumors are it is a bank.
    Let us know next September when you have the 2017 modular nailed down!

Quasimodo predicted all of this...

kiki180703CM4S
  • tecjamtecjam Germany / SwitzerlandMember Posts: 255
    Does anyone know if there will be an early access for VIPs to this set?
    How was this in the past - for the detective office for example?

Also I think we're all still eagerly awaiting the designer video.
  • (1)Stein(1)Stein GermanyMember Posts: 31
    There will not be a VIP early release on this nor for the GBHQ. There wasn't one for the DO either..........
    tecjam
  • MrJ_NYMrJ_NY A flick missle away from Brickagara FallsMember Posts: 592
    I've used this truck from set 76015 in my modular setup for awhile now.I can't wait until Jan 1st when I'll have a proper building to park it in front of.I prefer it over the truck that came with 3661 plus the color scheme matches much better.

LostInTranslationmldj77kiki180703paradisiaGoldchains
  • chuxtoyboxchuxtoybox Member Posts: 711
    @MrJ_NY : And you can have Doc Ock breaking through the laundromat wall holding bags of money and towels and undergarments hanging from his mechanical arms. 
    Lego_Nerd98SumoLegomatticus_brickskiki180703MrJ_NYGoldchains
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    You could also toss in the Beetle and have Dr. Doom and Nova flying around there too for no good reason, because that apparently is a thing :)
    Lego_Nerd98kiki180703MrJ_NYSumoLegoMynattGoldchains
    Everyone knows that Doom takes his cape to the dry cleaners.
    pharmjodkiki180703Goldchains
  • mldj77mldj77 Philadelphia, PAMember Posts: 63
    @MrJ_NY :Thanks, I just ordered 2 of those sets. That's a cool truck. 
    MrJ_NY
  • Lego_Nerd98Lego_Nerd98 Fort Worth, Texas, USAMember Posts: 235
    secure transport.....lol
    kiki180703
    @MrJ_NY : And you can have Doc Ock breaking through the laundromat wall holding bags of money and towels and undergarments hanging from his mechanical arms. 
    They make Lego towels?!?  

I anticipate that the vault will be filled with those silly Rapunzel cookies.
    kiki180703
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    ^funny,  I thought you would fixate on the undergarments... 
    Lego_Nerd98kiki180703Goldchainsgmonkey76
    Bah, Lego pants (or underpants) aren't that interesting.  It's all thongs anyway.

However @Legopants remains imminently interesting.
    kiki180703VorpalRyuMynatt
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    That's an offer is there ever was one!
    SumoLego said:
    They make Lego towels?!?  

Yes, and they come in a variety of colors.
    Dedgeckokiki180703catwranglerSumoLegobobabricksklatu003Goldchainsgmonkey76
    ^ Eh?
  • LegopantsLegopants GermanyMember Posts: 1,985
    SumoLego said:
    Bah, Lego pants (or underpants) aren't that interesting.  It's all thongs anyway.

However @Legopants remains imminently interesting.

Why, thank you :-)
    kiki180703SumoLegobobabricksGoldchains
    SumoLego said:
    ^ Eh?
    You have to use your IMAGINATION which is what LEGO is all about. :)
    SumoLegokiki180703Goldchains
    @chuxtoybox @SumoLego I think the real question is: why is Doc Ock carrying only underpants and towels? What villainous plot is he up to involving underpants and towels......
    kiki180703
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    His weekly washing?

Superheroes' and supervillains' "working gear" must be self-cleaning to avoid problems at the laundry, so that accounts for everything else.
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,248
    ALl this talk of Doc Ock crashing through a Laundromat wall with towels & underwear hanging from his arms makes me think of the Super Hero Squad cartoon...
    SumoLegokiki180703xiahna
    What is this 'imagination' nonsense?  First you tell me people build these sets, and now people deviate from the instructions?

Strange.
    VorpalRyupharmjodgmonkey76

@chuxtoybox @SumoLego I think the real question is: why is Doc Ock carrying only underpants and towels? What villainous plot is he up to involving underpants and towels......
    Haven't you seen the Incredibles?  No capes, and everything is machine-washable.
    kiki180703VorpalRyuBumblepantsgmonkey76
    Is this the thread where I can find out what the 2015 Winter Village set is?
    MattsWhatVorpalRyukiki180703BrickarmorLego_Nerd98CupIsHalfEmpty
    @SumoLego "that's a new feature"
    ^  Perfect, I'll put 'imagination' on the pile with flick-fire missles, super jumpers and Ninjago spinners.
    VorpalRyubrumeyLego_Nerd98kiki180703gmonkey76
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,461
    Lego imagination is not new, pretty sure it has been included with most sets since at least the mid 70s when I started playing. Many AFOLs, myself included,  overlook it because it is not listed in the instructions, but my grandson has no problem finding and using it to create all sorts of interesting things, and he's helping me with that. MOC builders use it extensively.
  • Pumpkin_3CK5Pumpkin_3CK5 CaliforniaMember Posts: 768
    I ordered several imaginations for Black Friday. It came with an imaginary Ginger Bread house, minifig scale.
    VorpalRyukiki180703
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 1,290
    That is lovely. 
    That's an upgrade from the brittle construction of the lower facade of the Grand Emporium.
    kiki180703VorpalRyu