Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Cost Efficient Programs for Bricklink Orders

samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,249
Hi Everyone,

i'm currently in the midst of a massive Bricklink project totaling 8,000 pieces in 430 lots. As opposed to going through stores individually, I'd like to use a program that will import my BL wanted list and then tell me which combination of stores is cheapest to order from. I know of the following:
Brickwizard
Brickficiency

However, so far Brickwizard hasn't worked and Brickficiency keeps crashing (due to the size of the lot count, I'm not really sure?).

My question is, does anyone have tips on how to use either of these programs? Or do they perhaps have a suggestion for another program?

Thanks all!

Samuel

Comments

• ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,640
    From my experience, any program I used works well for 25 lots or below, may be up to 40 if most of the lots are very common.
    For large project, I went down to a more manual method with brickstock and loading the BL price average into my wanted list so I can make judgment call when showing my wanted list by store, startng with lots with 100+ parts. With a price in your wanted list, BL will only show you the parts that are at that price of below, make sure to "force" your wanted list on the store to show if they have a more parts that might be 1c higher than the average but still a good placed to buy them.
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,249
    @ColoradoBricks ;
    Do you think taking my 329 lot list and dividing it into approximately 8 lots of 40 might work in the program? Then I could just combine common stores between the 8 runs of the program. Do you think that's a viable solution or do you think there are problems with that method?
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    edited November 2015
    Could you run the 40 highest number pieces through, as these will be the greatest saving, then base ordering more parts by the system mentioned above (price limit your wanted list). Or maybe then run the next 40 most numerous and so on.
    Or my method which isn't the cheapest really. I work out the rarest items (either through number wanted being high or type of brick) and order them from where they are cheapest or in stock using one the mentioned tools. These parts have the biggest possible saving usually, and then as that normally gives me several stores I manually compare each shop to get the rest of what I need. Not tried for 400 lots though, only about 150, so might take too long. 
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,640
    @samiam391 Usually no, because you may in separate "efficiency runs" parts that a single store has. I have a long week-end ahead of me, if you want send me the part list, I can I could tell you how I would approach it.
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,089
    I have been trying out both these programs, but Brickficiency simply crashes on me immediately, while Brick Wizard runs through "Retrieving price guide data", gets to "Retrieving metadata from stores", or something similar and then simply stops with an error, "Unable to retrieve store information. Please try again."
    This happens every time and I have tried with a number of Brickstock wanted list files, some very simple indeed.
    Is there something obvious that I am missing?
  • Renegade007cjhRenegade007cjh Essex, UKMember Posts: 683
    Looks like BrickLink is down at the moment... don't know if that has an impact on the automatic programs (i.e. live data or uses point-in-time).
  • CupIsHalfEmptyCupIsHalfEmpty CanadaMember Posts: 547
    Brick Wizard used to work for me, but I've been suffering from the "Unable to retrieve metadata from Stores" error for about the past year. I think it has to do with being outside the USA and haven't taken the time to properly troubleshoot. 

Back when I used ATXDads Matlab script I was successful in splitting a 120 lot want list into 3 want lists of 40 elements. Once I had a list of potential vendors for the 3 lots, I would run all 120 lots through the program with filtering adding in all the vendors from the previous 3 runs, plus allowing for about 20 more potential vendors. This would reduce the number of computations significantly. The whole experiment took a couple days and was quite successful. However I don't know if those matlab scripts work anymore, and I don't think the above programs with GUI's allow for the customization required. 

Each lot adds to the computing time exponentially. So 21 lots takes twice as long as 20 lots. At the amount you have I could see a standard home PC taking years to compute the most efficient ordering method. 

Oh and make sure you have the highest number of cores running. 

Sorry I can't be more help.

kiki180703
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,089
    edited November 2015
    Hmmm, might try connecting via a VPN to the US... Will report back.

I did notice that BL was down earlier, but it seems to be up at the moment.
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,249
    I'm having trouble with Brickstock remaining permanently installed on my computer. If anyone has had this happen to them before or knows the problem/solution, let me know!

Here's a letter I wrote to the creator of Brickstock:

However, I've run into an error with the Brickstock Folder saving on my computer.
    Right now, every time I exit out of Brickstock I am unable to reopen it. I have
    to uninstall and then reinstall it to launch it. There is no desktop icon.

This is a repeating cycle:
    1. I open computer.
    2. I try to find Brickstock on my computer, but it is not located anywhere. No
    icon on my desktop.
    3. I find the installer package, still saved on my computer.
    4. I open the installer package and it says that Brickstock is installed (even
    though I can't find it).
    5. I uninstall Brickstock.
    6. I then open the same installer and install Brickstock again (complete), at
    which point I select the option "launch brickstock".
    7. Next time I close out of brickstock, I have to repeat the process.

I have not been able to locate the Brickstock folder on my computer, all searches
    and locations have come up blank.

I'm running Windows 7, 64 bit.

\
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,385
    I have Windows 7 64-bit and have no issues. Is it possible that your antivirus is removing it? Check on that. All you'd need to do is tell the antivirus that it's a good program. I had that issue last night with a different program.
  • ew027ew027 Member Posts: 12
    On my Windows 7 64bit laptop Brickstock installed itself in C:\Program Files (x86)\BrickStock, and I can run it fine by double-clicking on brickstock.exe in that folder.

If that works you could always manually create a shortcut from the .exe and put it on your desktop, it might be the install program is installing it ok but not creating the proper shortcuts.