Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Bendybadger bonusball shizzle - win 2 random polybags

13»

Comments

• MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    edited November 2015
    You mean used to have a field day.  I added it to the dictionary as I may need it again in a hurry some time in the future.  In fact, I reckon if I can't squeeze it into the next @bendybadger bonusball question I can consider my life a failure.
    (I note that I appear to have spelt it incorrectly in my post above though - I will have to check my dictionary...)
    SumoLego
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,500
    I was just reading this article on the BBC website and lo and behold,  there is a picture of the chocolate bar everyone wants to try!  

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34975365

Incidentally, my company is sometimes asked to assess possible brand names and whether they have unfortunate connotations in various languages.  Looks like some of these companies could have used our services! 
    ShibBumblepantsGothamConstructionCokiki180703snowhitiemessyVorpalRyu
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,806
    edited December 2015
    ^ that article made me chuckle, thanks! Here in Belgium 'plop' is the name of a leprechaun in a children's series, so we have plop-biscuits, plop-milk even plop-sausage!
    BrickDancerLostInTranslationTheBigLegoskimessykiki180703SumoLegoVorpalRyuMattsWhat
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,108
    snowhitie said:
    even plop-sausage!
    Well that has Brickiest written all over it! If you hadn't posted a picture of it I'd have thought you were joking!
    BumblepantsLostInTranslationmessykiki180703SumoLegoVorpalRyu
  • LegopantsLegopants GermanyMember Posts: 1,970

Schller BumBum Tiefkhlkost

Bum Bum, anyone?

Renegade007cjhLostInTranslationTheBigLegoskimessykiki180703SumoLegoVorpalRyu

Oh, that's just disgusting! :-O

BrickDancertecjamTheBigLegoskikiki180703SumoLegoVorpalRyu

Erm.

BrickDancerGothamConstructionCoRenegade007cjhLostInTranslationTheBigLegoskimessykiki180703SumoLegoVorpalRyu
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332

and, not a brand but a giant bag...

GothamConstructionCoBrickDancerLostInTranslationTheBigLegoskikhmellymelmessykiki180703SumoLegoVorpalRyu
    Oh and now that winter's here, how about a nice hot bowl of...

GothamConstructionCoLostInTranslationTheBigLegoskikhmellymelmessykiki180703SumoLegoVorpalRyu
    @Shib Yeah, knowing the love for sausages over here (and at TLG) I better though I'd mention it. 
    LostInTranslationkiki180703SumoLegoMasterBeefyShibVorpalRyu
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,721
    edited December 2015
    What just happened here?  I leave you kids alone for five minutes, and suddenly we have a Plopp-sausage?
    kiki180703MasterBeefyLostInTranslationsnowhitieMynattVorpalRyu
  • MynattMynatt OH/NYMember Posts: 565
    edited December 2015
    And I thought that the Good Morning Dildo Baggins conversation was already odd enough...
    kiki180703VorpalRyu
    This is truly uncharted territory.
    kiki180703VorpalRyu
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,288
    In an attempt to even further derail this thread, looking at all these pictures, I could not help but think of this short video; it is a clip of Sinterklaas and Zwarte Piet having some unintentional 'adult' fun over some kids toy name that all of sudden has some ambivalent overtones. It is in Dutch but I think you will all get the comical corny innuendo.

• MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    Oh and now that winter's here, how about a nice hot bowl of...

mmm.. spicy....
    kiki180703
    @TheBigLegoski ;

I think I need your help, I recently ordered some food from Holland - when it arrived there was also a pink silk beret - is this a Sinterklaas thing? The timing is right as it arrived last week. It also came with a very tasty marzipan in pastry letter S. 
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,500
    edited December 2015
    Very informative answer @TheBigLegoski

"So now you know a little more about some of our Dutch peculiarities."

Coincidentally,  one of my colleagues who translates from Dutch received this book today as one of her birthday presents: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/185788633X/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1449256577&sr=1-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=Ben+Coates&dpPl=1&dpID=51ICzPnknqL&ref=plSrch
    I think I might buy it myself too, it looks really interesting. 
    TheBigLegoski
    edited December 2015
    @TheBigLegoski thank you for the awesome explanation. My family lived in holland for about 10 years but moved back to the UK just before I was born, although my dad still worked for shell so he was back and forth to The Hague for many years. So we had chocolate letters each Christmas growing up and I knew a bit about Sinterklaas. The food I ordered from holland was about 12 chocolate letters! 

And yes itwas one of those, the box said Amandel. We heated for about ten minutes and had it for breakfast with fresh cream. Delicious.
    TheBigLegoski
    edited December 2015
    Waw, what a great explanation @TheBigLegoski . All that you said is the same here in Belgium except the giving of poems and stuff, never heard that. Here it's just sinterklaas bringing things. Oh and we have different sets, more chocolate and'nick-nack' letters and sugary ones.

I would not compare 'pakjesavond' to boxing day though, seeing as that boxingday is the day that the servants used to have their Christmas party and open their presents. Although, seeing as Santa Claus\father Christmas has his roots in the legend of Sinterklaas, maybe that name got just used in a different way....

Impressed with your long explanation, Have a great sinterklaasweekend!

TheBigLegoski
    Hi @LostInTranslation
    Thank you thinking of what I wrote as informative, as well as the link to this book by Ben Coates. I have not read it, so I cannot comment on it. However, I do know that he is not the first person with an English or American background to have written such a book that deals with Dutch cultural traits, and/or historical details, as well as economic and socio-political aspects of The Netherlands. There a lots of books like his available, and around.
    I suppose it could be an interesting read, but sceptical as I am, I suspect this author will have writren it from a most skewed perspective. He is not a scientist, historian, and a 'proper' academic that attempts to forego any bias and unjust prejudice. Rather he "now works for an international charity. During his career he has been a political advisor, corporate speechwriter, lobbyist and aid worker. He has written articles for numerous publications including the Guardian, Financial Times and Huffington Post. ben-coates.com " (from Amazon.co.uk)
    So by all means read it, I am the last person to dissuade anyone from reading whatever they like to read, but having just read some articles by him on his website, I have to say that he is, especially with regards to Dutch politics, misguided, prejudiced to the point of being bigoted, frames affairs in a false manner, misinforms and thus writes rubbish! I do not fault someone for being subjective (aren't we all?!), but I cannot have any appreciation for someone who writes about current affairs, regardless of the perspective and personal convictions, if he does not care to get the facts straight. I don't care if anyone mocks, slashes and criticises my country, and people, as long as it is brutally honest, but my impression of him being capable of doing so in a fair manner has now diminished.  

Do you know Simon Schama?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Schama
    Both authors may very well now hold similar socio-political-economic world views (I did read somewhere on his twitterfeed that Coates in his 20s worked for the Torries, and him having studied economics, their views may just as well not align), but if you are interested in someone who knows a thing or two about The Netherlands, I would prefer to read one of the books, or articles Schama has written about my country.

B.t.w. I can tell you to that the Dutch aren't always as liberal and tolerant as some of them would like you to believe. Moreover, some of the ones that love to boast about it are next to cunning, either at best indifferent, just short sighted, or at worst spineless sell outs. Nonetheless it is a nice marketing ploy advertising the country as such to the rest of the world. 

I would probably toss 'Why the Dutch are Different' aside, unless you are prepared to take it with more than just a pinch of salt, and opt to read 'The Undutchables' or 'Xenophobe's guide to the Dutch'. I am not sure, but I may have read some bits from 'The Undutchables' some years ago. Then again, perhaps your colleague will lend you her copy when she is done with it so you can spend your money on something else such as Lego. ;-)
    kiki180703
    @snowhitie
    You too, heb een gezellig Sinterklaasfeest!
    snowhitie
    @snowhitie
    ps.
    I did not occur to me Boxing day originated from the servants having their own party, the next day.
    About Santa Claus; he is essentially the same figure, or at least derived from Sinterklaas / Saint Nicolas. I am not sure if Claus is from German/Deutsch Claus which stems from Nicolaus, or Scandinavian. The reindeer, the Americans definitely took from the Norwegian version of him. I don't know who came up with the little elves, and him living on the North Pole, and having a wife.

kiki180703SumoLegosnowhitie
    edited December 2015
    SumoLego said:
    What just happened here?  I leave you kids alone for five minutes, and suddenly we have a Plopp-sausage?
    And now discertations on Santa Claus and Dutch culture.  This is truly the strangest post.

Plopp sausage, Jamaican cock soup and Sinterklaas...
    kiki180703VorpalRyu
  • bendybadgerbendybadger 127.0.0.1 ::1Member Posts: 1,141
    This is what I love about Brickset.  One thread starts and nobody knows in which direction it may head.  Sinterklaas living in Spain was something I never knew about though as I always thought of him living somewhere cold and not living on the Costa Del Sol.
    SumoLegomessy