Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Do I sell or do I keep?

ThesheriffThesheriff BedworthMember Posts: 7
I have got all of the lego movie sets and polybags which are all unopened and the lego movie minifigure series in a display case and lego movie DVD with Vitruvious minifig.
I am unsure whether to sell them all now or wait until the next lego movie comed out in a couple of years?

Comments

• Kevin_HyattKevin_Hyatt UKMember Posts: 778
    Sell them now.
  • HokieJoe99HokieJoe99 Member Posts: 348
    Wait until the next movie. 
    juggles7Jern92kiki180703natro220
  • William_TownsleyWilliam_Townsley Perth, Scotland Member Posts: 880
    If you are selling please can you send a message I am interested in the Poly's 
  • LegoTTLegoTT Member Posts: 479
    Tough one. I'd sell now. Which means you should probably hold....haha
  • GoldchainsGoldchains Member Posts: 795
    When in doubt, flip a coin. Don't trust complete internet strangers. :-)
    mampepincrazycarlBuriedinBricksmadforLEGOKevin_Hyatt
  • Bricklover18Bricklover18 PA, USAMember Posts: 720
    Wait till 2018 when the next movie comes out, but if you need the money sell them now 
  • SalamalexSalamalex UKMember Posts: 274
    I don't think there's a consensus here!

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,818
    Sell half now, and half later. Or all of it halfway between the dates.
    SumoLegoKevin_HyattbobabricksDeMontes
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,086
     I don't think it matters. IMO, these sets will never be all that valuable. They were heavily produced, promoted for a very long time (the movie came out almost 2 years ago) and the series had 31 different sets to collect. You can bet that it will be the same for the next movie and few will be interested in looking back at this series.
    dougtsAngel_C
  • ThesheriffThesheriff BedworthMember Posts: 7
    Thanks for your comments. They are as mixed as my thoughts :-D
    I think I will put it all on gumtree soon. I like all of the modular buildings and they seem to be quite expensive now. I missed the boat on that one!
  • TarDomoTarDomo FinlandMember Posts: 515
    I'd keep them. The upcoming movie will bring new fans into the world of Lego building and some of them, mostly AFOLs, start hunting the old sets. Even your collection is near to perfect, I wouldn't sell them as a lot, you'll only face hard times finding someone filthy rich who'd like to buy them. If you sell them now, you might rue it in future, when you see how much they're going for in the future. Good luck with dealing anyways :)
    crazycarl
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,945
    I am not at all convinced that the sequel will drive up market value for the full compliment of Lego Movie sets.  
    dougts
  • HokieJoe99HokieJoe99 Member Posts: 348
    I changed my mind. Now you should sell them immediately. 
    SumoLego
  • DawnDawn GoldMember Posts: 247
    In doubt, sell the bricks now and the box+instructions later.. split strategy, you can't lose :)
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366

I, like @SumoLego, am not convinced these will go up all that much when the second movie comes out either, but I'm also not sure now is the time to sell. In my area at least, all of the sets are still readily available. Most Targets have some and the TRUs have pretty much the whole line. With the exception of the Sea Cow, I can still get them at retail or below pretty easily.

SumoLego
  • ChubblesChubbles USAMember Posts: 459
    Most of the sets are generic, I think there will be a few winners but for the most part not many of the sets have that wow factor or any scene that will forever remembered as integral to the movie.  Seacow being an exception, I'm actually building that now and it does look pretty impressive.
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    If you can't decide whether they're going to be worth more later, do you think they're going to be worth less? I doubt it - maybe more, maybe not, but not less.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,818
    I only watched it once (and not that closely) but a lot of the sets seemed barely in it. I cannot see any but the main sets being worth much at all. I guess it depends what you paid. If you got them at 50% off, then sell them now and invest in something with more prospects. If RRP, you'll make a loss to sell them now so hold until retired and hope.
    juggles7SumoLego
  • BobflipBobflip Member Posts: 475
    CCC said:
    I only watched it once (and not that closely) but a lot of the sets seemed barely in it.
    Yeah, having seen some of the sets first, that surprised me! Weird, when everyone was obviously going to want the Submarine and Batwing.
  • tick1970tick1970 LondonMember Posts: 117
    Keep spaceship spaceship, sell the rest
    bobabricks
  • tick1970tick1970 LondonMember Posts: 117
    And seacow as it's impressive
    bobabricks
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,839
    tick1970 said:
    Keep spaceship spaceship, sell the rest
    tick1970 said:
    And seacow as it's impressive
    These are the only two that I think will go up in value at all because that space ship also falls under the classic space collection (can't complete your collection without "LL 929") and the SeaCow is an expert/direct to consumer set.
    I changed my mind. Now you should sell them immediately. 
    I wish I could like this post 100x.
    I wasn't suggesting selling them immediately, but that I wouldn't expect some ridiculous return in 5 years when the 2nd film is released.

I, like @SumoLego, am not convinced these will go up all that much when the second movie comes out either, but I'm also not sure now is the time to sell. In my area at least, all of the sets are still readily available. Most Targets have some and the TRUs have pretty much the whole line. With the exception of the Sea Cow, I can still get them at retail or below pretty easily.

• SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,707
    How about building them, that's what I did with my complete set.
  • GoldchainsGoldchains Member Posts: 795
    Here's what you should do. Don't keep them. Don't sell them. Give them to @SirKevbags for charity! Let some kids have at them!
    mostyn99
  • ThesheriffThesheriff BedworthMember Posts: 7
    I have sold the lot. I have reinvested the proceeds and just bought a brand new grand emporium 10211, a new town hall 10224 and a used fire station 10197 100% complete in its box.
    ReesesPieces