Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

"Special Edition" Sets

Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
edited January 2012 in Collecting
I noticed today that 3678 has 'special edition' written up the side of the box. What does this mean?

Comments

• bor2112bor2112 FloridaMember Posts: 321
    Oh, I had the same thought...I hope someone is able to address.
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    edited January 2012
    I think it just means that it's a retailer exclusive, only available from TRU or somebody else (and from Lego vis their Direct-2-Customer channels). Sometimes it'll only be a temporary thing, or it will only apply to a few countries, so there will versions without the "special edition" branding in circulation.

Steve Witt posted about this somewhere ages ago when he was still with the Community team in Lego, explaining the difference between 'limited edition', 'special edition', 'exclusive', etc.

EDIT - this might be a Walmart exclusive in the US? Not sure ...
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,234
    Walmart in this case...
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,714
    But it still has the branding in the UK. I've seen it in Tesco, JL and TRU though, so it isn't very exclusive here.
  • vynsanevynsane Member Posts: 179
    Not worth the extra expense of printing a marginally different box, I suppose.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,727
    edited January 2012
    I think it just means that it's a retailer exclusive
    That's always been my assumption also.

From a UK perspective, outside of [email protected] and the LEGO brand stores I've only ever seen Set 3678 at John Lewis which would seem to support the theory.
    But it still has the branding in the UK. I've seen it in Tesco, JL and TRU though, so it isn't very exclusive here.
    Are you absolutely sure about this ? I've never seen it at Tesco or TRU, and the set isn't listed on either of their websites........

• DadDad UKMember Posts: 816
    As far as I am aware it is JL only outside of [email protected] and Lego brand stores....
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,714
    Definitely Tesco. They had it 2 days ago. I can take a photo if you like :-)
    Toys R Us I'm not so sure about, I thought I'd seen it, but maybe I dreamed it up...!
  • collect_thatcollect_that Kidderminster, EnglandMember Posts: 1,327
    edited January 2012
    I've seen this set at a Toys R Us store back in November!
  • roxioroxio UKMember Posts: 1,382
    In uk 7877 naboo has the SE box and I've got them from Toysrus and wilkos
  • SupersympaSupersympa SwedenMember Posts: 534
    @roxio also amazon ;)
    bought 1 there a few weeks ago
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,404
    Everything can be bought @ Amazon, the question is can it be brought FROM Amazon.com Retail, or is it a third party seller?
  • CoolsplashCoolsplash Member Posts: 935
    Its mainly store exclusive or you can say country exclusive.

Someone in Korea is able to sell this set for price of under 30 USD. But the same set is available for a price of 70 USD from a big Lego dealer in Denmark.

But, is there something like, a set is released in December 2011 and goes out of production in say 6 months, does something like this happens?
  • ChompersChompers Member Posts: 658
    Same "Special Edition" markings on the #8081 set exclusive to TRU & [email protected]
  • Waterjedi17Waterjedi17 Member Posts: 78
    As everyone said, it means retailer exclusive in the US. Here's last years special edition sets
    http://www.brickset.com/brickLists/?3116