The first two Brickset Secret Santa events have met with great success and as such it is happening again this year, so welcome to the 2015 Brickset Secret Santa thread!
Just in case anyone is not sure what a Secret Santa is, here is a quick definition for you courtesy of the OED:
A system whereby each participant is randomly assigned another participant for whom to buy a Christmas present at an agreed cost, so that each member buys one present and receives one present.The rules of the Brickset Secret Santa are as follows:
- The guide price for the cost of a gift is £15 or $20 (USD and CAD).
- Wish lists are welcome, so please send that with your initial message if you would like to include one, or simply make your Brickset 'wanted list' public.
- MOCs are also welcome as long as the total part value roughly corresponds with the guide prices given above.
- Please either wrap the gift before packaging it or indicate on the box that the contents are not wrapped.
- Please ensure that your gift is sent in time for Christmas, final posting dates for each country are available online.To be a part of it is very simple:
- Sign up to be included by sending a PM with your username and mailing address to the relevant organiser.
- Your Brickset ID will then be entered into a draw.
- Names will be drawn on the 22nd of November.
- Within a day or two of the draw, everyone who entered will be PMed with the name and address of the person they have been assigned to buy a gift for.
- Purchase a gift, adhering to the cost guidelines.
- Send the gift, keeping in mind that it should arrive in time for Christmas.
- If all goes according to plan, everybody will receive their gift before Christmas!The closing date for signing up to the 2015 Brickset Secret Santa is midnight on the 21st of November.
For the sake of simplicity we have decided to divide the exchange into two, in the UK and North America. This should keep postage costs to a minimum as I am told even posting across the border between the US and Canada is fairly inexpensive.
If you are in another country and wish to take part, you are welcome to contact either one of the organisers given below, and we will try to add you to one of the two main participant lists.
So, if you would like to join in, simply send a message with your shipping address and wanted list (or a link to your wanted list on the main Brickset site) to the relevant contact in your area. @rancorbait
and I have swapped around this year as we want to take part too and therefore don't want to know the identities of our Secret Santas!United Kingdom
- @rancorbait North America
You can check last year's thread
to get some inspiration by looking over some of the gifts given in 2014 (pages 4-7). As you can see there is a lot of fun to be had, so join us and share some Christmas cheer with fellow Brickset members!
Thanks for organising, guys!
Edit: Just thinking how funny would it be if the happy couple Shib and Kioko got each other? :-)
I shall sent details shortly!
Thanks for organising, guys!
Sent you a PM @rancorbait :o)
Safe to assume those who didn't get a reply are also definitely in it?
Anyways count me in.
Or tomfoolery, shenanigans, bedlam, nonsense or debaclecide.
Debaclypse is another one of my favorites. Bad zombie movies are usually referred to as a 'debaclypse', or just a mammoth debacle to end all debacles.
(I am clearly a crazy person.)
Don't make the same mistake I did, sign up now!
I guess the obvious answer would be that the people taking part in this are not a representative sample of the forum membership...
I'm in. Make it 27. It's going to be an interesting challenge for me.
Is it bad that I'm already thinking hard about what I want to send my Secret Santa gift in and how I want to present it, even before I know who I'm getting or what I'm buying?
Also, in a nice way, I'm secretly hoping that I won't get @CapnRex101... I just have a feeling he would recognise a package that was sent by me as being from me! ;o)