Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

LEGO #10214 Tower Bridge for $130...Too hot to handle?

RebelegoRebelego Georgia, USAMember Posts: 171
So I found a guy selling a LEGO Tower Bridge for $130. Haven't seen it in person, just photos.  Do you think this is a "hot" set (i.e. stolen)? Could be legit? Or am I going to get pistol whipped when I get there?

Comments

• William_TownsleyWilliam_Townsley Perth, Scotland Member Posts: 880
    This seems way too hot to handle. But try message him or phone him if you have his number he might just be looking for a quick sale 
  • DeMontesDeMontes North YorkshireMember Posts: 532
    Is it new? Did you ask him why he is selling? Where did you find him? How would the transaction work (eg paypal/post/back of truck)?  Do you want us to say it is an awesome deal and somone clearly has no idea of the price? What is the logical reason for someone selling a set way below the RRP? Could he be desperate for cash and only have a LEGO set left to sell?

I find answering questions with questions strangely therapeutic...

Si_UKNZ
  • RebelegoRebelego Georgia, USAMember Posts: 171
    It's just meet here at this time type of thing. Cash only. Set is brand new sealed. I was thinking this is too good to be true. A $240ish set. 
  • LegoTTLegoTT Member Posts: 479
    To be fair, I picked up a returned Tower Bridge at Target on clearance for $160 or so. It's possible that it's legit... Some folks don't know the value of a set.  Even some retailers. 
    If you take the chance to buy it take a friend and check the address out before you go 
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,328
    I would also check the seals on the box if you go to try to ensure it has not been tampered with in any way.
    http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/clt/5264812067.html It actually looks pretty decent 
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,853
    Priced to sell...
    Or too cold to hold?
    BumblepantsSeijiAmasawa
  • 12651265 Member Posts: 944
    This one is hot or a trap.  Either way, stay far away from this one.  Unless, you bring twenty of your closest friends each bearing arms.....this is Atlanta you know. :)  
  • RonyarRonyar Member Posts: 357
    How is that still available after 11 days if it is legit????
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,374
    Send @Norlego to check it out
    Dadkiki180703SumoLegoBumblepants
     madforLEGO - Seals look good on the picture but won't know until I meet up.
    @1265 - I'm gonna try to bring one of my deputy friends. Plus I'll be strapped.
    @Ronyar - That was my thinking, too.

I'm going back and forth. We are meeting in a public place so thats a plus. Hopefully it's just a good deal.
  • LegoTTLegoTT Member Posts: 479
    @Rebelego Does Atlanta have a safe zone for Craigslist deals?  I've heard of some cities doing that. 
    @CCC - Yes we do! Where I live, everyone has multiple firearms. Very little crime though. Then again, I'm not close to Atlanta. Thats a whole different world to me.

@LegoTT - I'm not sure.
    pharmjod
  • NorlegoNorlego ScotlandMember Posts: 444
    @Pitfall69 Sorry I cant help you out. I am busy with my next "self-build" sale. Only 2-3 "strangers" due to come as most whom took part last time are returning. Amazing how willing grown-ups are to build Lego, if you put a few large boxes of Classic Space, 12Vs trains and  Town in front of them....
    TheBigLegoski
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    @CCC Yup, good old murica...guns guns and more guns. It is a way of life here. (If I owned one, I would be dead having accidentally shot myself in the head most likely.) So it does not surprise me that folks use guns to protect their LEGO and themselves. And craigslist sales can be violent and deadly; I meet folks only in public places like Starbucks or McDogballs. Places where they know my face. Because I refuse to own a gun. Sad but true.
    LegoboyRebelegokiki180703TheBigLegoski
    Being a resident of America, I only own two firearms.  

But I also own four lightsabers, a Rohan sword and a few other random replica elvish blades.  I'm not sure if starting a firearms debate is really worth the effort here.

My neighbor owns a cannon. I think I got my bases covered if Canada gets frisky.

And I have a Lego Reseller Black Helicopter for use on only special occassions.
    Bumblepantskiki180703dougtsToc13TheBigLegoskiFurrysauruspharmjod
    @SumoLego - you would fit in perfectly down here in north GA!

None of this matters anyways.  I was told by a Higher Power I can't get the set....(Dramatic Reveal Music w/ super-fast zoom in camera)...my wife!
    SumoLego said:
    Being a resident of America, I only own two firearms.  

But I also own four lightsabers, a Rohan sword and a few other random replica elvish blades.  I'm not sure if starting a firearms debate is really worth the effort here.

My neighbor owns a cannon. I think I got my bases covered if Canada gets frisky.

And I have a Lego Reseller Black Helicopter for use on only special occassions.
    @SumoLego You own 3 firearms. Im pretty sure you have a sausage gun. 
    nychromastoneRebelegokiki180703Pitfall69TheBigLegoskibobabricks
  • AleyditaAleydita BelgiumMember Posts: 790
    I never really understood the gun argument growing up, always seemed so obvious to me that ordinary people shouldn't own guns. But then when I return to Bradford in England these days I no longer feel safe, I know that people there walk around with knives and guns and tasers and all sorts of injury-inducing equipment. And I know for a fact that the police will not visit certain neighbourhoods, even during daylight hours, unless supported by an armed unit.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,706
    This is Tower Bridge. Surely everyone should be throwing roasted chestnut shells at each other. They were the weapon of choice there on my school trip in 1977. :-)
    Pitfall69kiki180703TheBigLegoski
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,328
    I have seen some mighty nifty scams with boxes, regardless of how the seals look though. Does anyone have the weight of the box handy for the OP?
    Unless you are planning to open it at the sale?

In any case, it seems like one of those 'too good to be true' moments.
    It weighs near 4.5 Pounds 
  • gratefulnatgratefulnat SwitzerlandMember Posts: 266
    According to bricklink it weighs 4.335 kg, which is roughly 9.5 Lbs, not sure if that includes the weight of the box (0.5kg/1.1 Lbs)

According to TRU it weighs 4.4lbs my bad if wrong 
    Sausage is more of a bludgeoning instrument.

Nonetheless, my guess is your Craigslist seller isn't going to be interested in taking a field trip to weigh the box.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    SumoLego,  remind me not to come to any of your BBQs.
    BumblepantsSumoLego
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 949
    CCC said:
    Rebelego said:

@1265 - I'm gonna try to bring one of my deputy friends. Plus I'll be strapped.

Guns at Lego sales. We really live in different worlds.
    I carry to every craigslist meeting. Then again, I carry every day every where.
    1265Furrysauruspharmjod
  • HokieJoe99HokieJoe99 Member Posts: 348
    Sounds like this one might cost you $130 and a kidney. You might get a bathtub full of ice out of the deal as a bonus though. 
    @HokieJoe999 - Um, excuse me, I'm 145lbs and never been in a fight in my life. I think the seller would be in trouble...wait. No, you're right. :)
    That seems way to fishy i wouldn't touch that with a 10ft barge pole 
    kiki180703
  • kiki180703kiki180703 Montreal, CanadaMember Posts: 1,027
    ^ it does seem fishy
    And he is a new seller with no feedback. If anyone is tempted by the bait pay with PayPal so if it isn't what it says it is get a refund 
    edited October 2015
    And he is a new seller with no feedback. If anyone is tempted by the bait pay with PayPal so if it isn't what it says it is get a refund 
    Why the headache.......it's obviously a scam.  Probably some backdoor way the seller is trying to steal your personal information by paying via Paypal.  The Chinese are too smart and crafty in stealing personal information.
    Si_UKNZ said:
    SumoLego,  remind me not to come to any of your BBQs.
    I'll take that as an indictment of my poor skills with the grill.

Frankly, I'm not carrying any sausage or firearms, either.

(See what I did there?) 

This thread has been char-broiled!
    kiki180703
    Please, everyone weigh in on your personal gun and weapon opinions and try to convince others that don't think like you, just how right you are.  This Tower Bridge thread is clearly the appropriate place to do so.

Welcome to the internet....where everyone has a say and voice.
    And.....sometimes we discuss "packing" with no intent of converting others to our point of view. (I have given up trying to convince anyone of anything....too much experience with negative outcomes!!! Especially after retiring from 20 years as a marketing professor....) My favorite "packing" comment comes from Sandra Bullock in Blindside, a great film. Check it out!
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,706
    When it comes to packing, it is definitely more efficient to roll than fold.
    @CCC Hahaha! No kidding! I always roll rather than fold when packing!
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 949
    Alton: You hear me, @#$^&;?
    Leigh Anne Touhy: No, you hear me, B% $#@!. You threaten my son, you threaten me. You so much as cross into downtown, you will be sorry. I'm in a prayer group with the D.A., I'm a member of the N.R.A. and I'm always packing.
    Alton: Whatchu packin? .22? A little Saturday night special?
    Leigh Anne Touhy: Yep. And it shoots just fine every other day of the week too.
    kiki180703
    I knew T-Dog was a thug!