Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

2016 Modular Building

Comments

• PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,610
    Looking (very) closely at the photos, they would indeed appear to be new pieces, rather than 2x2s on their side. I think they're 1 x 2 x 2/3 bricks, with studs on one side. They look to be 5 plates high to me.

I would suggest that the corner pillar could have 1 brick wide versions of this, or simply have one side as plates stood on end.

Although they wouldn't be out of 'system', they would be (I think) the first pieces to be a brick which isn't a multiple of one brick (i.e. a multiple of 3 plates high).

Also, although it would be a new piece, there could well be other 2016 sets which use it, and which it was originally created for. If so, it would not be a 'new piece' created specifically for the Brick Bank, but rather, a piece already in production for 2016 sets - rather like the diagonal tiling element is a new element created for Nexo Knights, and then used for the Brick Bank.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,464
    edited October 2015
    dougts said:
    Just noticed something else from the picture that shows the back of the box:

that's a single plate depth at best on most of the column.  Even whatever the top two gold bars are mounted too is exactly one brick width deep.  definitively NOT a 2x2 brick on it's side
    Yes, for that column. It could well be a 2x1 brick on the right hand side, next to a longer plate for the left hand side. The other side of the column clearly has more LBG depth, as shown in other pictures.

Given it has got an interior, and it is being made with interior play functions, whatever it is it has to be tidy on the inside too. Whatever they've done, it is going to be interesting to find out.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950

MattsWhat said:
    It was my understanding the rules of modular buildings is they can't use new pieces.
    1) I haven't ever heard of this rule
    2) Why in the world would this rule exist?
    I also haven't heard it as a rule. It's just a rumour, isn't it? Based on not seeing new parts in them before and extrapolating that to it must be a rule.
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    This entire conversation makes my head hurt (in a good way though) and makes me really wonder if I should continue attempting to MOC. "Let's see, if I stack 50 1x1's it'll create a stable column that will never fall over! I'm a genius!"
    JELJ1SDedgeckokiki180703
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,259
    edited October 2015

MattsWhat said:
    It was my understanding the rules of modular buildings is they can't use new pieces.
    It isn't just modulars, Creation themed sets do not get new part molds made for them, only new colors. But we see them use new parts designed for other themes all the time so it isn't a big deal really. I think one of the designers mentioned it in a video awhile back.
    I was under the impression that themed sets (such as Ninjago, Star Wars, and even City) can justify the expense of new parts, because they sell many times more of each set than the Creator line does.

Ultimately though, only Lego will know for sure.
    andhe
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734

I would suggest that the corner pillar could have 1 brick wide versions of this, or simply have one side as plates stood on end.
    I initially thought the new piece could be a 1x1x5/3 with two studs on the side. For each "level" of two gold bars, the normal pillars would use two side-by-side while the corner would use three, with one rotated 90 degrees on its vertical axis. This would require only this one new part and no complex SNOT that intrudes into the interior.

Unfortunately, I don't think this is the piece, because there's no indication of a gap in the center at the top of the pillars. There is a gap on the laundromat side of the corner, but it's clear that had to be the case regardless.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,259
    I wish the bank came with a helicopter to transport all the money. Or a helicopter for the laundry mat. Every set could use a helicopter. 
    Ugh.
    DedgeckoJern92kiki180703Pitfall69
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,442
    Read a good number of the old posts. My head hurts.

Only thing I can contribute to this discussion in a "concussed" state:

Space Skulls > Jack Stone
    SumoLego
  • devilheaddevilhead Member Posts: 280
    Call me crazy, but I'm not going to worry about the pieces or building techniques until I actually have the set.
    mr.pigglesoldtodd33Jern92kiki180703AdeelZubair
    Crazy.
    gmonkey76LyichirVorpalRyubrickupdatekiki180703AdeelZubair
    Crazy.
  • burnsiderburnsider Member Posts: 75
    Crazy.
  • JenniJenni JapanMember Posts: 1,390

MattsWhat said:
    It isn't just modulars, Creation themed sets do not get new part molds made for them, only new colors. But we see them use new parts designed for other themes all the time so it isn't a big deal really. I think one of the designers mentioned it in a video awhile back.
    The Town Hall was the debut of the round 1x1 tile. We can't know if they requested it or just knew it was coming and used it.

I'd never heard that the rule applied to Creator Expert sets, just creator. But I don't watch many of the videos.
  • 19741974 Member Posts: 141
    It's a new part that you'll also see in a bunch of other 2016 sets. TLG loves SNOT'ing

Cheers,

Ole
    FollowsCloselyDedgeckokiki180703bobabricksSirBenAdeelZubairGoldchainsdafish
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 819
    ^Exactly. Just look at the one Mixels tribe. They are all about the SNOT...

TLG = SNOT :)
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 949
    I so look forward to every modular. My first impressions:
    9) The bley Gold bricks are connected to a 1x2x2 somehow. Is that a new snot piece?

I hope it is a new pieces as it would be so useful.
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 949
    1974 said:
    It's a new part that you'll also see in a bunch of other 2016 sets. TLG loves SNOT'ing

Cheers,

Ole

• AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,858

Jenni said:

MattsWhat said:
    The Town Hall was the debut of the round 1x1 tile. We can't know if they requested it or just knew it was coming and used it.

I'd never heard that the rule applied to Creator Expert sets, just creator. But I don't watch many of the videos.
    The mirror in the Detective's Office is also a brand-new design for that set, and has yet to appear in any other set. It is a close but not exact match for the regular 1x4x6 window frame. So I think that probably disproves any notion of a strict rule against new designs in modular buildings.

Kinda surprised that element hasn't appeared in any other sets yet, to be honest. I'm sure it's expensive, but it seems like the kind of thing that could have appeared in LEGO Friends by now if the LEGO Group were so inclined. But nope, they're still using stickers for mirrors in LEGO Friends sets like #41104. Maybe they just haven't needed a floor-length mirror in that theme yet.
    ^ the exception that proves the rule?

I remember hearing that for Emerald Night, the designers basically had to beg and beg and beg to get the steam engine wheel design made.
    FollowsClosely
    Or that they (TLG train designers) had to point out (to TLG management) that particular ship (eh, train!) had sailed long ago due to BB ;)

TH didn't debut the 1x1 tile, that was in a lot of other sets that year. Also, that part is old hat, ask Huw ;)
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    The bit about new parts was originally supposed to have come from Simon Kent, one of the TLG's design managers in one of the seminars a few years ago. The idea is that it keeps costs down so that a set can be bigger or cheaper.

New parts can be designed years ahead of when they're finally released. If a part is similar to an existing one, it may be that the existing mould is nearing the end of its life, so it's already been redesigned and the old mould reserved for its more traditional purpose.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,817
    1974 said:

TH didn't debut the 1x1 tile, that was in a lot of other sets that year. Also, that part is old hat, ask Huw ;)
    I still curse the 1x1 white tile as a result of the Farnsworth House Architecture set.  Lining those damn things up was maddening.
    edited October 2015
    Jenni said:
    I think the first set to use that was the 2011 Xmas vignette #3300002.
    FollowsCloselybobabrickskiki180703
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,839
    Jenni said:
    Yes, I remember seeing that piece in that set and thinking "what the hell is that grey thing?". Turned out to be a long awaited piece that descended down from the heavens. ha ha :P 
    I'm going to say it is a new part found here in this Nexo Knights set in black. The piece holding the blue banner is 1 and 2/3 of a brick tall and is obviously a SNOT to hold the 2x4 section of the banner.

This is my official giving up on trying to find a way to build this with existing pieces. :P The last picture @dougts posted made building those pillars impossible, especially with that horizontal LBG plate.

• JenniJenni JapanMember Posts: 1,390
    TheLoneTensor said:
    Jenni said:
    Probably, or one of 3 Ninjago sets or a City one from late 2011. Sorry, I just remembered Astrid pointing it out as a "brand new element" in the designer video.  If you can't trust a designer........

My point really was that just because a new piece shows up in a set first doesn't mean the designers of that set requested it.  I doubt the tile was produced particularly for the Christmas set, or any of the others that use it. Maybe they've wanted a new SNOT brick for a while but this, or possibly the Nexo Knight set, is just the first on the market that uses it. 
    edited October 2015
    I was checking out the back of the box, looking at all the scenes https://www.flickr.com/photos/ebtown/21901720299/

So it looks like the guy is shoving money in the top right washer, and it drops down, appearing in the lower locked cabinet in the bank?  What's that all about?  At first I thought it was a secret way to swipe money out of the bank, but if that were the case, how would the money go up to the washer, and wouldn't those pictures be reversed?

Btw, it looks like the vault actually locks shut via turning the crank, neat.
    If you are laundering, you're trying to get the money in...
    bluedragonVorpalRyuDedgeckokiki180703matticus_bricks

Look at this man feeding illegal substances to a child!

Scogalikiki180703
  • DedgeckoDedgecko Seattle, WAMember Posts: 799
    It's always an inside job
    bobabricks
    It also seems someone is burning unopened mail - Credit card statements after buying too much lego?
    bobabricksAllBrick
  • hoodaddyhoodaddy USMember Posts: 317
    What piece makes up the legs/base of that desk?  
  • msandersmsanders Member Posts: 951
    hoodaddy said:
    What piece makes up the legs/base of that desk?  
    Its piece number 
  • matticus_bricksmatticus_bricks Member Posts: 648
    edited October 2015
    SumoLego said:
    If you are laundering, you're trying to get the money in...
    Yes, it seems TLG made this entire set just to make that pun. Based on the pictures, it looks like the lady is scoping out the place with her camera, then she steals money from the vault. The man "launders" the money into his own account to make it look official (imagine if someone actually tried to do it this way?), and then rewards the little girl with candy for her help. Not sure about burning unopened mail... Tax evasion maybe?

In other news, I really like that coffee maker. 
    VorpalRyuSumoLegokiki180703
    I like how they put stories into the last couple modulars. They both seem to be about serious crimes as well, ha ha. I feel these stories bring the buildings to life, not just a name and some cool architecture. This also makes the modulars a great stand alone model if you don't plan on buying multiples.
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 831
    I'm going to say it is a new part found here in this Nexo Knights set in black. The piece holding the blue banner is 1 and 2/3 of a brick tall and is obviously a SNOT to hold the 2x4 section of the banner.

This is my official giving up on trying to find a way to build this with existing pieces. :P The last picture @dougts posted made building those pillars impossible, especially with that horizontal LBG plate.

Nope. That's the existing 2x2x2/3 angle brick. You can tell it's not the piece from the Brick Bank because the shield tile IS recessed by half a plate. It may be some clever SNOT-work, but it's not a new piece.
  • LegoTTLegoTT Member Posts: 479
    @snowhitie

I think your MOC makes a more fitting pub/restaurant than the BB. You could turn the side area into a patio by making the full wall a half wall, or even a fence. Looks great either way!
  • LegoTTLegoTT Member Posts: 479
    Apologies for the double post- but I just noticed the Brick Bank is already up on Lego Shop @ Home with a Jan. 1 release date.

I wonder if you could pre-order over the phone and get double VIP points?
    kiki180703
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,935
    ^ ^ Yeah, I could do a pub and change the park at the back (not in this picture) int a beergarden..a
    hoyatables
  • SarkySarky Vancouver, CanadaMember Posts: 23
    CCC said:
    It also seems someone is burning unopened mail - Credit card statements after buying too much lego?
    Where did you find that? Seems interesting.
  • SarkySarky Vancouver, CanadaMember Posts: 23
    edited October 2015
    I like how they put stories into the last couple modulars. They both seem to be about serious crimes as well, ha ha. I feel these stories bring the buildings to life, not just a name and some cool architecture. This also makes the modulars a great stand alone model if you don't plan on buying multiples.
    Smuggling cookies and robbing banks, what's next? The city needs a police station/prison to contain all these criminals!
    Aanchir
  • matticus_bricksmatticus_bricks Member Posts: 648
    Sarky said:
    Smuggling cookies and robbing banks, what's next? The city needs a police station/prison to contain all these criminals!
    They've alluded to drug trafficking, robbery and money laundering. Next it'll be a secret "juice bar" and a Ponzi scheme. 
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,430
    I thought the cookie traffic was for the prohibition.
    BumblepantsSumoLegokiki180703AdeelZubairbobabricksDedgecko
    A cookie 'bar' would be ludicrous.  A soda pop speakeasy...
    bobabricksSethro3
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 819
    ^Good idea. What business front would they have for them to sneak into...the laundromat would have been a good fit there too.