Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Creating Lego Bridges, Highways, Ramps.....

CoolsplashCoolsplash Member Posts: 935
edited January 2012 in Building and Techniques
One of my dream as a Lego City fan, was to be able to create Bridges, Highways, Ramps and other elevated road structures in our Lego Town. I am aware of the Monorail, and it looks good too but what I really wanted was to be able to create elevated bridges, possibly 2 lane highways. Suggestions???

Comments

• Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    try this
    http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=7900-1

Also there was a set with an elevated 2 lane road, cant remember the set number though. think it had 4 road sections, 2 ramps and 2 flat, and it was a construction type set from quite a while back.
  • CoolsplashCoolsplash Member Posts: 935
    @Si_Dorking_Surrey, thanks for the link. I have seen this set many times but it does not grab me much.

Do let me know if you can remember that other set you mentioned.
  • romdamromdam Member Posts: 136
    edited January 2012

ahh, got it
    http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=6600-2
    That set is perfect for a bridge. What I did is bought the pieces seperate. I bought 2 ramps and 2 straight pieces. Makes a nice bridge. But what I did was make it a bridge that raises and lowers. I hinged the 2 straight pieces to the ramps. Had a riser in the middle of the 2 straights. So, say a boat was coming down river, the 2 pices fold up, to let the boat go under. I have a watch on each side to look for boats. I highly suggest buyiing the pieces and skipping the set.

@romdam, could you let me know which pieces to buy?
  • romdamromdam Member Posts: 136
    I bought 2 of these:

30477px1 Baseplate, Road 32 x 16 Ramp, Inclined with White Center Stripe Pattern

and 2 of these:

30401px1 Dark Gray Baseplate, Road 32 x 16 Ramp, Straight with White Center Stripe Pattern

Basically the bridge without the curve. You'd do the same risers like in the main set but I modded mine so the 2 straights are hinged and they raise and lower. If you don't want a bridge that goes p and down and just want a long bridge, buy more of the straights.

The set itself is junk. It's from the juniorised period so stay away from the set itself.
    Cannot find these on BL :( Am I doing something wrong?
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    just search for the set number, then click 'inventory' and you'll see them in that list.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,155
    One of my dream as a Lego City fan, was to be able to create Bridges, Highways, Ramps and other elevated road structures in our Lego Town. I am aware of the Monorail, and it looks good too but what I really wanted was to be able to create elevated bridges, possibly 2 lane highways. Suggestions???
    I know the feeling.. the one thing I desperately hoped for was for LEGO to make the baseplates that they had in Idea book 200 with the highway roadways (They were three lanes wide) sadly this never happened.
    @bluemoose, thanks a lot for the links :)

@madforlegos, I know what you mean. So now its up to us to make do :P
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,278
    edited January 2012
    Coolsplash,

The front page of the 1968-69 LEGO catalogs show a very interesting way to make a trestle bridge using old 1966-79 blue straight/curved train track... or even 1980-90 gray straight/curved train track pieces...
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,278
    @madforlegos I too lament the lack of a bridge system... even what they did produce... the parts are very expensive on Bricklink!

I remember as a kid having a KENNER GIRDER & PANEL set for building bridges. This set was awesome for quick bridge construction!

http://girderandpanel.mygamesonline.org/images/GP/06/GP-6.jpg
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    ^ Dang! So that's what that stuff was called. Girder & Panel. That's exactly what it was - girders and panels. I had a blast with that when I was a kid. I never could remember what it was called. Gotta check eBay now. Darn you Gary!
    My goodness @Istokg, you just gave me such a wonderful idea, as I have around 200 or so of these blue train tracks. But only problem is to check if the new trains will run on these tracks, as I did experiment using the blue tracks with that white passenger train....it worked quite well....and even if the train does fall off it we could use the Lego train disaster better in the stop motion video I have in mind :P right before Spiderman comes in to save the toppling train....too much info :D
  • SherlockbonesSherlockbones Member Posts: 411
    edited January 2012
    @madforlegos I too lament the lack of a bridge system... even what they did produce... the parts are very expensive on Bricklink!

I remember as a kid having a KENNER GIRDER & PANEL set for building bridges. This set was awesome for quick bridge construction!

http://girderandpanel.mygamesonline.org/images/GP/06/GP-6.jpg
    I am pretty sure I have some track I can give you...
    PM me