Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Minifigures in Costumes

NyakuzaNyakuza -Member Posts: 3
I've gotten a fair few of the blind-bagged Minifigures over the years, and I'm especially fond of the ones that look like ordinary Lego people that are dressed in costumes. That's led me to wonder if there had been any others in the past, from older Lego sets rather than the Minifigure collections.

It's a fine line really, as you could argue that lots of the Lego minifigures could be people dressed up as vampires, rockstars, clowns etc, however there are some that are really specifically costumes - Hot Dog Guy being the most infamous!

It'd be an odd theme to work into a set, so I suspect this isn't something they did before. But I'm hoping to tap into your collective Lego knowledge to see if anyone can think of any others than the following:
  • Gorilla Suit Guy (Minifgures series 3)
  • Lizard Man (Minifgures series 5)
  • Bunny Suit Guy (Minifgures series 7)
  • Chicken Suit Guy (Minifgures series 9)
  • Bumblebee Girl (Minifgures series 10)
  • Piggy Guy (Minifgures series 12)
  • Hot Dog Guy (Minifgures series 13)
  • Unicorn Girl (Minifgures series 13)
  • Skeleton Guy (Minifgures series 14)
  • Tiger Woman (Minifgures series 14)

Comments

• ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,185
    It really depends on your own definitions to, there are numerous costumed/disguised characters in licence themes e.g all the Scooby Doo villains are people in costumes.
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    The Tiger Woman is a tough one because is she in fact a woman in a costume or truly a tiger woman. I, personally, tend to not care as I lump them all together as animal people of sorts, but I know some will make that distinction.
  • MrJ_NYMrJ_NY A flick missle away from Brickagara FallsMember Posts: 592
    edited October 2015
    Panda Suit Guy - Lego Movie CMF series
    madforLEGODrmnezFoxyA19
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,701
    The Tiger Woman is a tough one because is she in fact a woman in a costume or truly a tiger woman. I, personally, tend to not care as I lump them all together as animal people of sorts, but I know some will make that distinction.
    According to her bio, she is a real tiger woman and not in costume.

The plant monster could be a costume too, but is not according to the bio.
    YodaliciousSumoLego
  • TkattTkatt MNMember Posts: 327
    These are disguises rather than costumes but Star Wars has Luke and Han dressed as Stormtroopers, Princess Leia as Boushh, and Lando as a skiff guard. 
    TheBigLegoski
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    CCC said:

Just because someone at Lego says so, doesn't sway me against logic.  Like saying the plant guy is not a costume guy, or the tiger lady is some kind of human-feline genetic abomination, or Market Street is a modular.  Madness I say.

George Lucas once said there are midichlorians, and look where that ended up.
    Renegade007cjhSumoLegoRainstorm26VorpalRyuDedgeckopharmjodkiki180703bobabricksGoldchains
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,439
    Next thing we know, Lego is going to have a Furries Convention Special Set.

:shudders:
    Renegade007cjhVorpalRyuTheLoneTensorchuckpkiki180703bobabricksmatticus_bricksDeMontes
    I'm still waiting for cow suit man with comically large udders.
    Renegade007cjhVorpalRyupharmjodkiki180703matticus_bricks77ncaachampsTheBigLegoski
  • Renegade007cjhRenegade007cjh Essex, UKMember Posts: 683
    CCC said:
    "A lovely, lovely cow, with lovely, lovely udders!"

(Sorry, bit of a BlackAdder fan!)
    SumoLegoVorpalRyukiki180703LostInTranslationsnowhitiebadgersandwichobi_gtecjam
  • Prin12sPrin12s OklahomaMember Posts: 47
    CCC said:
    Any mother who has ever nursed a baby will hate this one! Lol

• oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,409
    CM4S said:
    We're getting a Left Shark minifig.
    Maybe. Possibly.
    This would be great.  I saw a Left Shark costume at Target the other day and laughed out loud, a little.  I have nothing more to add.
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    I've never heard of Left Shark. I had to google it. 
    oldtodd33kiki180703Jern92CM4S
  • matticus_bricksmatticus_bricks Member Posts: 648
    I want to frame this entire thread and put it on my wall. So many great comments!

As for me, I only consider the minifigures which have some kind of mask or helmet I can remove to reveal a normal, yellow minifig head underneath to be in this "costumed" series... Or at least that's what I thought until I remembered the Bumblebee girl. Now I'm not so sure. 

I would like to see a giraffe or an octopus suit. Also, a minifig wearing that horse mask meme would be great. 
    oldtodd33 said:
    Yes, that's my inspiration.

As for me, I only consider the minifigures which have some kind of mask or helmet I can remove to reveal a normal, yellow minifig head underneath to be in this "costumed" series... Or at least that's what I thought until I remembered the Bumblebee girl. Now I'm not so sure. 

What's the problem with the bee? She can be just a girl wearing a suit, wings and a bee "helmet".
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 799
    I consider all the animal figures with normal minifig heads to be costumed minifigures. 
    77ncaachamps
  • NyakuzaNyakuza -Member Posts: 3
    CCC said:

That's so odd, I assumed she was human because she has the usual yellow head and hands.

Also, why the belt? Unless wearing only accessories is all the rage with animal-human hybrids. I'll have to reread The Island of Doctor Moreau to find out.
    ^ In that case, let her be human! I think most people ignore the lego bios anyway, and make what they want of the minifigures.
    CCC said:

What's the problem with the bee? She can be just a girl wearing a suit, wings and a bee "helmet".
    Actually, nothing, now that you mention it. I was just thinking about headgear that covers the entire head, with a chinstrap, but that doesn't really matter actually. 
  • alldarkeralldarker NetherlandsMember Posts: 213
    edited October 2015
    The werewolf figure from set 1380 Werewolf Ambush: http://brickset.com/minifigs/hrf006/Werewolf might match the definition of the OP: the wolf mask does go over the figure's regular head. Although I do believe it's not actually supposed to represent a costume but the transformation into an 'actual, real-life' werewolf. 
    Seeing as it's in the studio line presumably the mini figure wearing the werewolf head is an actor so there is a good case for it being a costume.
  • alldarkeralldarker NetherlandsMember Posts: 213
    edited October 2015
    Shib said:
    Seeing as it's in the studio line presumably the mini figure wearing the werewolf head is an actor so there is a good case for it being a costume.
    Hadn't even thought about that! Looks like my suggestion was in fact better than I realized. I think it's due to owning the figure itself, but having Bricklink'ed it, I never owned the set.
    pharmjod
    I don't know why, but I have always been a little weirded out by minifig heads that are not actually minifig heads.  Like the bigfoot, or the werewolf, or the fly.  It's like without the head, they don't have a soul or something.

That reminds me, is the fly guy considered a costume guy?
    LostInTranslationmatticus_brickssnowhitieRenegade007cjhkiki180703
    I would think the lack of a normal min figure head/soul would make the general consensus no, otherwise there's nothing to say yeti or even the cyclops CMFs aren't costumed people either.
    What about Robo Emmet from Benny's Spaceship ,he's wearing a costume/disguise to look like one of President Business's robots.Where is the line drawn between a costume/disguise? There is also Western Emmet
    I guess most of the CMFs can actually be viewed as a normal minifig in costume. S3 elf ... normal man in elf costume. S2 Spartan ... normal man in Spartan costume. And so on. Although I don't think that is what he is after.
    edited October 2015
    What about Skeleton Guy S14 - He appears to be a man in a skeleton costume as his printing is on a standard minifigure torso whereas the majority of other Lego skeletons are constructed of actual bones,not printed bones
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 1,289
    Next thing we know, Lego is going to have a Furries Convention Special Set.

:shudders:
    DON'T give them any ideas! :P
  • CupIsHalfEmptyCupIsHalfEmpty CanadaMember Posts: 547
    I love this thread and know it's going to spiral into a crazy conversation trying to define something that is quite subjective

Does the term "Costume" then only apply to Minifigures with a normal yellow head dressed as something that wouldn't normally be represented with a human body? So in that sense, a person is a Jester, so therefore a Jester Minifig isn't a costumed Minifig.  Whereas a plant is a plant, so the Plant figure is a Minifig dressed in a plant costume?

But really I suppose a costume can be anything, so maybe we need to redefine the word we are trying to define. 

Oh no, I've done it again, I'm Spiraling into a crazy conversation trying to define something that is quite subjective
    SumoLegokiki180703MrJ_NY
    As long as this is spiraling out of control, you could consider Gandalf to be an Ian McKellen minifigure in costume. Or Batman to be Christian Bale in costume. 
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    ^of course you couldn't, that would be ridiculous. 

Because I'm Batman. 
    Renegade007cjhkiki180703
    As long as this is spiraling out of control, you could consider Gandalf to be an Ian McKellen minifigure in costume.
    That was Patrick Stewart ... :-)

http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/comment/387646/#Comment_387646

MattsWhat said:
    ^of course you couldn't, that would be ridiculous. 

Because I'm Batman. 
    I'm Batman!

No, I'm Batman!

<Cue: patty-cake fisticuffs from the Dimenions trailer!>
    gmonkey76kiki180703Bumblepants
    As long as this is spiraling out of control, you could consider Gandalf to be an Ian McKellen minifigure in costume. Or Batman to be Christian Bale in costume. 

Or is Batman actually Christian Bale in a Bruce Wayne costume in a Batman costume?

/mindblown

SumoLego
    or....is Batman the reality, and Bruce Wayne is the costume?   Ooooo.
  • hoodaddyhoodaddy USMember Posts: 294
    I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!
    edited October 2015
    Whoever he is, we're agreed that a mini figure dressed as a bat would count, so batman's in. Killer croc is actually like that, he's out. Robin isn't dressed as a Robin, out. Dr octopus, dressed as an octopus, he's in. Green goblin is dressing up, in. Poison ivy, dressed as a plant, in. Scarecrow, actually a scarecrow (he scares me so probably scares crows too), out. Penguin, dressed up as a Penguin but his costume sucks, out. This could go on a while...  
    The_Mad_Vulcan
  • GallardoLUGallardoLU USAMember Posts: 644
    what about Ironman? he isn't really made of iron but he does wear an a suit comprised of metal materials (most of which are NOT actually Iron)
    ^But what is he dressed as? Do you reckon anyone regrets this question yet? 

^ Again, Robert Downey, Jr. dressed as Tony Stark, dressed as Iron Man.

And to answer your second question, no.

MattsWhat77ncaachamps
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,850

Or is Batman actually Christian Bale in a Bruce Wayne costume in a Batman costume?

/mindblown

The real question is:  How many degrees is that from Kevin Bacon?
    gmonkey76nychromastone
    ^ Christian Bale (Dark Night Trilogy) > Gary Oldman (Dark Night Trilogy/Murder in the First) > Kevin Bacon (Murder in the First)

...and...

Bale (Lawless) > Ryan Gosling (Lawless/Crazy Stupid Love) > Bacon (Crazy Stupid Love)

I know I have a problem. 

Kinda surprised we don't have a Kevin Bacon character minifigure yet. 
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,850
    ^ I doubt the 'Footloose' vignette is going to get the 10k votes.

Our best shot was a Sebastian Shaw, but the complete lack of Marvel/Fox licensing killed that off.

And who owns the licensing to Tremors?  (Probably MegaBloks.)
    ^ I would buy a Tremors theme in seconds. 
    Renegade007cjh
    ^ I would buy a Tremors theme in seconds. 
    No more mother humpers!!
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,439
    Jern92 said:
    I consider all the animal figures with normal minifig heads to be costumed minifigures. 
    Case in point: the fly CMF from the Monsters series is NOT a costumed minifig.
    SumoLego