Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Mixels Series 6

DedgeckoDedgecko Seattle, WAMember Posts: 800
edited October 2015 in Collecting
Have Mixels run their course?  I haven't seen a lot of talk about them, and there's no future MOC Max contests expected to be run--at least here on Brickset.  Even I can't bring myself to buy the full tribes any longer, just a select few (maybe some dupes instead for parts).

Either way, they don't seem to be widely available as previous series.  Anyone else seeing this?  Are they done after series 6?

Comments

• HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,923
    No, there is a series 7 at least and I suspect 2 more waves next year.

They are still cool, but the novelty has worn off now. We'll still review them: we did the green ones this week.
    SumoLego
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    Mixels 7 are due to be released at the beginning of February.
  • VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,574
    I do not know how the TV series is going? but I think TLG should stop at series 9.
    Although maybe they should have stopped at 6?
    Like Huw says "the novelty has worn off now."
    TLG can give us a change and a break from Mixels.

Then maybe after a couple of years, if the TV series is still running TLG can do a catch up and give us another 3 or 6 series of Mixels.

Why?
    Not because I am a great fan of Mixels the TV series, but simply because these are great little parts packs.   
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 14,283
    Maybe there will be a Gold Mixel for Series 10.
    pharmjodandheVorpalRyuThe_Mad_VulcanWatfordScottyM
    SumoLego said:
    Don't give them ideas!

Mind you, it would be harder to do. If you buy a CMF, technically you don't know what you're getting. With a Mixel, you're supposed to - and that has the potential to give laywers a field-day at TLG's expense.
    Nah.  They could always swap the pieces in a set with chrome or gold pieces.

Or insert chrome pieces, etc.
  • MynattMynatt OH/NYMember Posts: 607
    ^That brings me flashbacks to the days of me hoping and crossing my fingers to open a star wars set that contained a chrome Darth Vader.
    Exactly - although I'm sure Mixels sell pretty well and don't need the jolt that the CMFs did after lackluster sales on S7, S8 and S9 seemed to have suffered from.
    andheVorpalRyu
  • MynattMynatt OH/NYMember Posts: 607
    I would however not mind searching for an exclusive Mixel. I would prefer to spend $5 on a mixel with 60 useful pieces than a $4 minifigure. 
    SumoLegoVorpalRyu
    That begs a question. Or two.

The numbers of each CMF in a case is not the same but known.

A case of mixels has three complete sets of each tribe, and an extra complete set of one tribe. Is the extra tribe always the same? If not, can you identify the difference from the case itself?
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,441
    I'm loving the look of the series 8 Mixels, especially the pirate ones. Series 7 looks fine, I like the drum one a lot, the others are just parts packs, especially the castle looking ones.

The thing I've loved about the mixels from the start is that they are a low price point with a good mix of useful and interesting parts. I really want some ball joints recoloured, and I think it's a bit ridiculous that LEGO haven't done so yet, especially with characters like Groot using them and really needing different colours. I do think some of the excitement of the mixels have worn off quite a bit though. I certainly like having them on shelves around me, and would be disappointed if they disappeared, but I think the amount of them being put out is killing them a bit, I think one tribe per wave might be better at this point.
    VorpalRyu
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,826
    Different colours for the ball joints would definitely be good. I have some bird MOCs in the style of the hub set, and they could really do with getting rid of the grey.

I have only really ever seen Mixels as parts packs. Do other people display them as sets? By the time they have finished series 8, that will be 72 mixels plus the 24 different super-mixel builds using three at once (have I got that right?). That will probably take up more display space than all the CMFs produced so far.
    VorpalRyu
    Shib said:

I think the amount of them being put out is killing them a bit, I think one tribe per wave might be better at this point.

TLG's aims are obviously a bit different to yours - the sheer number of them means that there's constantly a new one to buy for a child. And being small, cheap, and in a bag they can be dangled enticingly in exactly the right place. From TLG's point of view, and that of retailers, they're absolute genius.
    VorpalRyu
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,441
    I get that that is the model but each new wave seems to linger on the shelves that little bit longer and several tribes have been repeated (new characters but on an existing theme)...there is such a thing as over-saturation. 
  • GalactusGalactus NLMember Posts: 259
    TigerMoth said:
    SumoLego said:
    Don't give them ideas!

Mind you, it would be harder to do. If you buy a CMF, technically you don't know what you're getting. With a Mixel, you're supposed to - and that has the potential to give laywers a field-day at TLG's expense.
    This reminds me of the WDR variation of the 6661 Mobile TV Studio. I don't think there are any complaints about the contents of the box not matching up with the picture up front.
  • workshybumworkshybum UKMember Posts: 64
    I've always walked past Mixels on the shelf before, without giving them a thought. I'm more of a s minifigure fan myself. That being said, seeing the new pictures has made me sit up and take notice. Looking back over the whole theme, there's some great looking builds and it looks like a bit of fun could be had using the parts to create your own characters. 

I've just been out and picked up 2 of series 6 to see what they're like out of the packet - I'd be disappointed to see them stop now. I guess at least I'd still have plenty of old series characters to collect, albeit all at inflated 2nd hand prices... I hate being so late to the party!
  • SithLord196SithLord196 Member Posts: 1,160
    I actually like the newer designs on the way compared to the older ones.

I still need to pick up a set of Klinkers though. I should do that soonish, as they're starting to become hard to find around here.
    Galactus said:
    TigerMoth said:
    SumoLego said:
    Don't give them ideas!

This reminds me of the WDR variation of the 6661 Mobile TV Studio. I don't think there are any complaints about the contents of the box not matching up with the picture up front.
    A quarter of a century ago, people didn't try to exploit every tiny opportunity they could find.
    VorpalRyu
    edited October 2015
    TigerMoth said:
    Galactus said:
    TigerMoth said:
    SumoLego said:
    Don't give them ideas!

A quarter of a century ago, people didn't try to exploit every tiny opportunity they could find.
    I think people have been pretty consistent through the years trying to exploit just about every opportunity possible.  1990 wasn't that long ago, and I recall Nike being plastered all over everything.  And having to buy horrible Nintendo cereal.

Spaceballs was released in 1987...

VorpalRyu
  • chuxtoyboxchuxtoybox Member Posts: 711
    I only own one Mixel and that's because my wife bought it for me. I can't even tell you it's name or if I even kept him together. I don't dislike them but I'm just not compelled to buy them. I guess it's because they're too abstract.

The pirate and castle ones look intriguing but that's because I like those themes.

I'm surprised they haven't made Star Wars Mixels.
    VorpalRyu
    SumoLego said:

I think people have been pretty consistent through the years trying to exploit just about every opportunity possible.
    We were talking about lawyers.

Americans have a "certain reputation" for their litigious nature because it was a relatively alien concept elsewhere and people noticed the difference - they didn't sue each other for seemingly trivial reasons. I'm sure the same was true over there not too long ago.
    VorpalRyu
    We sued our country into existence.  And we sue for al sorts of trivial reasons.

Although prevailing on the lawsuit - that's an entirely different matter.

(This coming from a fairly non-litigious American attorney.)
    kiki180703VorpalRyu
    Why doesn't every Mixel have a Nixel?

Not all Mixels with  Nixels are smaller than Nixeless Mixels so why do those Mixels have Nixels?

Some Mixels with Nixels are bigger than  Nixeless  Mixels so why do those Mixels have Nixels?

Am I paying more nickels for Nixeless  Mixels or am I paying too little for Mixels with Nixels?

Why doesn't every Mixel have a Nixel?!!
    SumoLegoBumblepantsVorpalRyukiki180703AanchirLyichirMynatt
    How many toys can @chuxtoybox chuck if a @chuxtoybox could chuck toys?

(Moreso, when would the box be empty?)
    BumblepantsVorpalRyukiki180703Mynatt
    edited October 2015
    Chuck's toy-box was toy-less which is why, chuckled Chuck, I chucked my  toy-less toy-box.
    VorpalRyu
    Oop.  I was busy making stupid infantile jokes in the Colson thread.

I am impressed.
    chuxtoyboxVorpalRyukiki180703
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 993
    edited October 2015
    (Moreso, when would the box be empty?)
    If chuxtoybox's Surname is Schroedinger - this could get VERY complicated!
    VorpalRyu
    O.K. So now I'm buying Mixels! The other day when I passed on buying series 14 minifigs I looked at the Mixels since they're somewhat inexpensive.

I never realized until I looked on the back of one of the packages that all 3 Mixels of the same clan could be combined to build a super Mixel! I don't recall seeing that in any of the reviews on Brickset either. So that sold me.

So now within 2 days I have Forx, Wuzzo and Kramm and Spugg, Turg and Tungster.

For me the Mixels are another case of "I didn't really care about them and thought they were kind of stupid but now that I've built some they're cooler than I thought and now I want all of them" which is how a lot of LEGO is sometimes.
  • Pumpkin_3CK5Pumpkin_3CK5 CaliforniaMember Posts: 796
    I think the designs are getting better and better. 
    edited November 2015
    So, in less than nine days I have gathered one complete set of series 6 plus duplicate sets of the yellow and purple Mixels to also separately build the max figures. I need two more green to build the green max.

I also have a set of yellow series 5 and 1 blue Mixel. I plan on getting doubles of everything in order to build all the max Mixels too.

I'd say of series 6 the Weldos are my favorite and I like the Weldo max a lot better than the Muncho max. The Weldo max utilizes most of the elements from the 3 Weldo Mixels whereas the Muncho max left a lot of elements including the large tub which I thought was a pretty major piece not  to use. Plus I don't like how the back hatch of the Muncho max doesn't close flush. 

Even if you're not into the Mixels characters, for the price they are great parts packs.
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,442
    If you can find them at TRU, Series 3 are on sale (save about a buck each).
    If you can find them at TRU, Series 3 are on sale (save about a buck each).
    THANX for the info!:) I don't have TRU where I live but managed to get 2 series 3 for $3.69  and 4 series four for $3.99 and free shipping on line. The only complete tribe I got is the Orbitrons. 

It's kind of ironic that TRU is lowering the price of Mixels as they get older but to buy them on the secondary market the older they are the more expensive they become.