Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Star Wars Sets - Pre Disney Acquisition

tick1970tick1970 LondonMember Posts: 117
Haven't really taken part in forum much before so who knows maybe this has been dealt with, but what are peoples thoughts on Star Wars sets future value, more specifically, the sets created before the Disney acquisition and those after.

Will the old ones have any desirability beyond the obvious or does it even matter?

i suppose packaging will always have the Disney symbol compared to it not being present inthe past.

Just see what people think.

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,149
    For me, the Disney logo is meaningless. If they re-release older OT and PT sets in future it will impact future prices of existing sets. 
  • crazycarlcrazycarl USAMember Posts: 392
    Only thing the Disney logo does for new sets is drives up the MSRP about 20%.  Look at the new x wing.  I would not pay $80 for that set.  Wow.  Even  worse a 517 piece Tie fighter for $70!!!  Just wow!
  • Waterjedi17Waterjedi17 Member Posts: 46
    ^ to be fair, the last TIE Fighter 9492, cost around $56 adjusted for inflation for 413 pieces. So for 100 more pieces, it seems only slightly overpriced.

As for the OP, it doesn't really matter to me whether a set was released before or after the Disney acquisition. As long as the set is of good quality and reasonable price, I'll buy it regardless of whether it has a Disney logo on it. I don't think sets will be valued more or less for being pre or post Disney, rather, it'll be based on how desirable the set itself is.
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 626
    Agreed, the Disney influence will be on the set and character designs themselves (since Lego will try to copy the actual vehicles and characters from the movies).  The Lego design beneath the Disney stylings will continue to be top-notch as long as the current (or past?) quality control is still in use.

So if you don't like the new Stormtrooper helmets, blame Disney.  If the bricks don't clutch well, blame Lego.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,049
    Haven't Star Wars sets always been overpriced compared to other Lego themes? I am not sure why so many people act like this is a new thing now that Mickey own the license instead of Lucasfilm.
    SumoLego77ncaachampsMasterBeefy
  • aaronmcdaaronmcd Mountain View, CAMember Posts: 3
    I have not kept up on prices since I was a kid, but $70 for 517 pieces doesn't seem too bad to me, considering 15 to 20 years ago my "rule of thumb" was 10 cents a piece, plus extra for large, complex pieces.
  • ModulaRModulaR USMember Posts: 39
    ^^While I haven't crunched the numbers, it seems as though pricing really varies set-by-set, across most themes. Star Wars is probably more expensive in many cases, but not not every set.

The thing that stands out to me about the first wave of The Force Awakens sets is that only one of them is a low price "entry point." It probably has something to do with the secrecy around the film, but you look at those 6-7 sets, and nearly all but one are $40+. That's not normal.

While I do think that the TIE fighters is overpriced, that specific ship is always tricky because it has to be closer to scale than most others, just due to the geometry. In the films, they're tiny fighters, but in LEGO form, they're a bit bigger.
  • ytjediytjedi Member Posts: 18
    ^ If you look back the last few years it's actually very normal for the Star Wars line. January releases for Star Wars sets are lots of little and medium sized sets (battle packs, planets/microfighters, $20-30 ships/vehicles. Then the summer/fall releases are all medium to giant. Makes sense as bigger set purchases are more likely to occur around Christmas time.
  • ModulaRModulaR USMember Posts: 39
    ^Ah, I guess that it makes sense. I was just surprised for a film tie-in wave to be so short on inexpensive enticement-level sets or battle packs. But I suppose that with this film, there is little doubt that consumers will bite, especially for the holidays.
  • brumeybrumey AustriaMember Posts: 994
    dats why i am hoarding used bionicles!

where else do you get a 693 piece set (axalara t9) for 12€

tick1970
  • monkyby87monkyby87 Member Posts: 315
    I suspect there will be a lot more lower-priced sets, but they're holding off due to spoilers and keeping the film under wraps as much as they can.
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 768
    edited September 2015
    ModulaR said:
    ^^While I haven't crunched the numbers, it seems as though pricing really varies set-by-set, across most themes. Star Wars is probably more expensive in many cases, but not not every set.

The thing that stands out to me about the first wave of The Force Awakens sets is that only one of them is a low price "entry point." It probably has something to do with the secrecy around the film, but you look at those 6-7 sets, and nearly all but one are $40+. That's not normal.

While I do think that the TIE fighters is overpriced, that specific ship is always tricky because it has to be closer to scale than most others, just due to the geometry. In the films, they're tiny fighters, but in LEGO form, they're a bit bigger.
    It's not so much that TIE Fighters are that small—I don't think the recent Lego versions are that far off in terms of scale, to be honest. But MOST Lego vehicles, and even locations (not just Star Wars ones) tend to be smaller than they would be in actuality (just look at the cars, trains, and planes of Lego City). And yet many of the more recent Star Wars sets have been getting closer and closer to a realistic scale, which unfortunately results in previously affordable single-pilot starfighters becoming much more expensive.
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,440
    Haven't Star Wars sets always been overpriced compared to other Lego themes? I am not sure why so many people act like this is a new thing now that Mickey own the license instead of Lucasfilm.
    You're right.

But do you get a sense that the production runs are probably much larger now (to increase profits) because of the Mouse?
  • donutboydonutboy U.K.Member Posts: 731

But do you get a sense that the production runs are probably much larger now (to increase profits) because of the Mouse?
    Surely that means more sets to discount in a few months from now. That's OK by me.
    MasterBeefy
  • suprajamessuprajames UK SussexMember Posts: 366
    edited October 2015
    Star wars sets have always seemed more expensive than other themes but probably being the most popular theme they know people will buy them, I know people that are not really into Lego but love Star Wars that have gone out and bought sets. The theme will always carry a premium, prime example is the advent calendars, City £20, Friends £20, Star Wars £25 ! I have not checked but going to guess figure and part count is roughly the same for all 3 calendars but have to take SWAT (star wars added tax) into it and an extra £5 appears.
    tick1970kiki180703