Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Lego Back to the Future

TheUltimateTFOLTheUltimateTFOL Texas, USAMember Posts: 154
Lego is pretty much scheduled for the rest of 2015 with video games what with The Avengers and Dimensions, but they haven't announced much for 2016. I think that a real possibility is a BTTF video game. Think about it. Lego has already made a video games for most of their other licenses and they do have the BTTF license. The movies have a solid fan base and a ton of content, easily as much as Pirates of the Caribbean or the equivalent Harry Potter movies. And, they have already proved that they can make a good BTTF level with what we've seen of the Hill Valley level in the Dimensions trailers. Does anyone else agree?

Comments

• SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,574
    ^ By my count, three.  But the night is young...
    VorpalRyu
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 819
    You can't be the ultimate tfol without cracking a few eggs
    SumoLegokiki180703Bumblepants
  • DawnDawn GoldMember Posts: 247
    usually I crack my eggs in a t-fal, not a tfol :)
    3stackshsSumoLegokiki180703Bumblepantsricecakebandit778
  • RevBluesRevBlues Member Posts: 117
    dougts said:
    How many threads do you plan on starting today?

seriously, I appreciate your enthusiasm but you really should try to "fit in" more with a community you are trying to join rather then just blindly come charging in firing on all cylinders slamming out new topics left and right. Watch, read, observe, comment on existing threads.  Get a feel for how the community here works and work within it.  Good advice for life in general. 

Unnecessarily rude and obnoxious.  Maybe you should just ignore things which don't harm you personally.  If the proprietors have a problem with his activity, they'll mention it.
    Aleydita
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    ^ welcome to 11 days ago!

Personally, I think what is unnecessarily rude and obnoxious is coming into a community and completely disrupting it by not conforming to the standards and customs that the community is currently operating under peacefully and productively.  But hey, maybe that's just me.
    natro220thedingman5Coolguy5000nicoyagomezTheLoneTensorCCCkiki180703
  • AleyditaAleydita BelgiumMember Posts: 846
    Here we go again. "Your face doesn't fit. How dare you be passionate about trying to join in." The mods on this forum are conspicuous by their absence. How can it be okay for an existing member to slap a new member down for posting - wait for it - 3 posts in the same evening? That is probably the least welcoming welcome I've ever seen. The clique's so bad in here it's like trying to join a conversation with the mafia.
    Physical harm or mental harm?

Responding to a dead topic 11 days after the most recent post makes my brain hurt.
  • BrickDaddyBrickDaddy Member Posts: 13
    So wait. Starting topics to encourage discussion is frowned upon? Isn't this a discussion forum? What are the standards the topic starter is upsetting? He's not talking about buying stuff or reselling? I don't understand way the slap is necessary but maybe there's some drama here that I'm not aware of 
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    Aleydita said:

How can it be okay for an existing member to slap a new member down for posting - wait for it - 3 posts in the same evening?
    How else would it even verge on being acceptable for adults to pick on a teenager except through cyber-bullying?
    Aleydita said:
    Here we go again. "Your face doesn't fit. How dare you be passionate about trying to join in." The mods on this forum are conspicuous by their absence. How can it be okay for an existing member to slap a new member down for posting - wait for it - 3 posts in the same evening? That is probably the least welcoming welcome I've ever seen. The clique's so bad in here it's like trying to join a conversation with the mafia.
    wow, way to completely turn my original point into something it never was. 

if every new member started up 3 conversations in a row, this place would be non-functional.  Communities work best when people join, get a feel for how the community operates, then work within that structure.  When new people go rogue and begin disrupting the status quo, everyone loses.
    "When new people go rogue" - have you heard yourself? Even if what you say is true, which I don't believe, who exactly made you spokesman for the community? Oh right, you did.
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,807
    Aleydita said:

I find that the moderators and the man himself @Huw (now he is sure to see it) do read the forum but try to let us be adults and have freedom which is great. Unfortunately some members do try and moderate it themselves and this seems to receive a large number of likes from other members which is disappointing. I do agree that the site has cliques and that it is hard for new members to be involved I think that this is something the moderators need to look into.

Lego is pretty much scheduled for the rest of 2015 with video games what with The Avengers and Dimensions, but they haven't announced much for 2016. I think that a real possibility is a BTTF video game. Think about it. Lego has already made a video games for most of their other licenses and they do have the BTTF license. The movies have a solid fan base and a ton of content, easily as much as Pirates of the Caribbean or the equivalent Harry Potter movies. And, they have already proved that they can make a good BTTF level with what we've seen of the Hill Valley level in the Dimensions trailers. Does anyone else agree?

I don't think Lego will make a BTTF game, there is a difference between Pirates of the Caribbean or Harry Potter and BTTF. One has a line with a number of sets and the other is a one off set. I think we are seeing that ideas and dimensions have a strong link with one off licenses being used in the game. I do agree that BTTF has scope to be more than a one off set and I would have picked it over ghostbusters for a D2C. But before Lego goes making a standalone game for the license I think you would have to see a lot more sets being made.

Thanks for your question and a big welcome (not that your that new).

dougts said:

if every new member started up 3 conversations in a row, this place would be non-functional.
    I take it that you have never taken part in a forum that has thousands of new posts every day? It just means that people are more selective about what they read and post - which, overall, is a positive step.
    dougts said:

When new people go rogue and begin disrupting the status quo, everyone loses.
    Disruption isn't always negative by a long chalk. It brings out new ideas and new ways of working - to the benefit, not the detriment, of the community. If something is inappropriate, then that soon becomes apparent and is likely to resolve itself.

If you want to have closed discussions with like-minded people then do it in private. If you do it in public you are going to find hecklers and dissenters "disrupting the status quo", especially if the venue is not one you own and can control.
    Aleydita said:
    "When new people go rogue" - have you heard yourself? Even if what you say is true, which I don't believe, who exactly made you spokesman for the community? Oh right, you did.
    nope, not a spokesman for anything.  I'm just stating my opinion.  Just like you are stating yours.
    TheLoneTensorkiki180703
    dougts said:
    Aleydita said:
    nope, not a spokesman for anything.  I'm just stating my opinion.  Just like you are stating yours.
    Nope. You told somebody to do something.
    edited September 2015
    really?  Please point me to where I "told somebody to do something."

I'll conveniently quote myself here:
    seriously, I appreciate your enthusiasm but you really should try to "fit in" more with a community you are trying to join rather then just blindly come charging in firing on all cylinders slamming out new topics left and right. Watch, read, observe, comment on existing threads.  Get a feel for how the community here works and work within it.  Good advice for life in general. 
    That quote is entirely (admittedly unsolicited) advice.  There are no orders or directives I'm telling someone they have to follow. I think it's good advice, but I realize others may have differing opinions on that.
    SumoLego
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited September 2015
    You all are telling @dougts to go do something, aaaaand in the process stifling his personal opinion, not allowing him to speak his piece, squashing his ability to express himself in an objective adult manner.

It's ok if you do it, but improper and rude if he does it...how does that work?

And around we go again figuring out how to be human.  It's almost like we went back in time...cue the thread title.
    Jern92SumoLegocheshirecat
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    Yet another reason why I'll always like the basic LEGO minifig facial expression. Just two eyes and a smile. Maybe that's the right way to by human...with a smile.
    dougts said:

really?  Please point me to where I "told somebody to do something."
    Certainly.
    dougts said:

I'll conveniently quote myself here:
    That quote is entirely (admittedly unsolicited) advice.  There are no orders or directives I'm telling someone they have to follow. I think it's good advice, but I realize others may have differing opinions on that.
    They bolded sections are called imperatives. The second, third and fourth examples are of particular note because they don't have a subject. There aren't many types of English sentence that don't have a subject somewhere and an imperative is one of them.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,314
    The facts that - The thread originaly died without a relevant answer It needed someone to complain about someone else's behaviour to resurrect it shows that the thread was not very important to "the community". The only relevant answer is a secondary point on a post arguing about forum politics, suggesting the politics is more important than the answer to the question.
    CCC said:

The thread originaly died without a relevant answer It needed someone to complain about someone else's behaviour to resurrect it shows that the thread was not very important to "the community".
    Threads very often die the moment some sort of a negative comment is made about a "technical" aspect of a post or a poster. As here.
    CCC said:

suggesting the politics is more important than the answer to the question.
    That's what seems to happen around here with dead threads - it's the status quo which, we're told, should not be disrupted!

And then somebody else comes along with a different off-topic angle.
    Ah, cue the pedantry.  How unsurprising 

look, I'm writing on an Internet forum here, not crafting a thesis. I think in this setting, everyone knows you don't go around parsing for exact higher order grammar.  It's a casual conversation crafted with casual common language, and it should be read as such. 

The common reading of my post makes it quite obvious that I am neither asserting or implying any direct authority, but rather giving my advice.  Just like we don't all preface all of our forum posts with "in my opinion", even though nearly all of our posts are indeed just that, I didn't preface my post above with those words because it's unnecessary. Unless I have an official title next to my name, the fact that I'm stating my opinion is assumed by the setting of the conversation. 

And to underline what is already so glaringly obvious, I concluded my post by stating directly that it was "good advice". Advice, by its very definition, is not a directive or an order, but rather a suggestion or recommendation
    In this case, I think this thread died because there wasn't terribly much to say about whether or not there will be or should be a Lego Bttf video game next year

which kind of underlines my original point
    dougts said:

The common reading of my post makes it quite obvious that I am neither asserting or implying any direct authority, but rather giving my advice.
    Several people obviously thought not. And the existence of their posts demonstrate that
    with a bit more weight that what you thought was obvious.
    dougts said:

look, I'm writing on an Internet forum here, not crafting a thesis. I think in this setting, everyone knows you don't go around parsing for exact higher order grammar.  It's a casual conversation crafted with casual common language, and it should be read as such.
    It's not "high order grammar". Colloquial language is one thing, but you still have to use enough of the "real stuff" to avoid confusion and ambiguity.

Somebody took appears to be genuine offence at something you said, and all you can do is argue about it.

Bear in mind that your second post here was not one that said "Oops! That's not what I meant." It took several people criticising you before you started to back-pedal.
    Wrong button...

"Somebody took what appears to be genuine  offence"
    TigerMoth said:
    Aleydita said:

How can it be okay for an existing member to slap a new member down for posting - wait for it - 3 posts in the same evening?
    How else would it even verge on being acceptable for adults to pick on a teenager except through cyber-bullying?
    While they might be a teenager, they are also an adult. If you have evidence against this, et Huw know so the account can be blocked.
    Didn't we just have the same discussion with regard to another member trying to 'better' or improve the forum?

@Huw - probably time to close this topic as well.
    dougtsTheLoneTensor
    SumoLego said:
    Didn't we just have the same discussion with regard to another member trying to 'better' or improve the forum?

Indeed. Perhaps if self-appointed mods stopped telling other people what they should and should not do on here, these discussions might stop happening.
    CCC
  • Kevin_HyattKevin_Hyatt UKMember Posts: 778
    I don't think a full game will come out now. I reckon we might see more content added to Dimensions, with accompanying Bricks and cash investment!
    edited September 2015
    Aleydita said:
    SumoLego said:

Indeed. Perhaps if self-appointed mods stopped telling other people what they should and should not do on here, these discussions might stop happening.
    Yet you seem to be in favour of self-appointed vigilantes against anti-self-appointed mods. It is fairly clear this user had signed up and started writing threads without thinking. He was given some friendly advice to slow down and read the forums a bit first. What is wrong with a bit of guidance when someone joins a forum? It helps ease someone in without annoying current members. Most clubs have rules, some written some unwritten. Unfortunately a lot of Brickset ones are not written down. Many people like the softer approach here than at euro bricks, but maybe more formal rules are necessary as the forum grows.
    dougtscheshirecatBumblepantsnicoyagomezkiki180703
    CCC said:

What is wrong with a bit of guidance when someone joins a forum?
    If done sensibly, probably nothing.

On most fora I've seen, that usually means being almost obsequiously polite so as not to intimidate the newbie, starts with a welcome, and explains just what is wrong with their post and why. None of that is present here. Indeed, even now, nobody has explained what is wrong with somebody starting three whole new on-topic threads, so any "guidance" value is lost.
    It depends what you mean by on topic. One of their early threads was closed by a mod, another asking which one was closed by a mod, so they started another which one that was closed by a mod.

CCC said:
    It depends what you mean by on topic. One of their early threads was closed by a mod, another asking which one was closed by a mod, so they started another which one that was closed by a mod.
    Perhaps because they hadn't found any "guidance" they'd received so far to be helpful. So they then post on-topic and that thread gets shut down on the some nebulous nebulous reason.

I could well understand somebody who was thinking of joining, or an existing lurker thinking of posting, reading all this and deciding that any active involvement wasn't worth his or her while. That might suit some people here, but it's not in the best interests of the forum or Brickset in general.
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,347
    So why don't we build a double-decker couch so everyone can watch TV together and be buddies........ On Topic: I don't feel they would do a BTF game. I'm not sure there would be enough interesting characters to fill the roster for a game like this either. Looking forward to playing the Level on Lego DImensions. I started it last night but quit knowing I wouldn't have time to play through the whole level. It actually starts out the same way the movie does. Kind of neat. One thing I'm liking about Lego Dimensions is it allows them to make minigames of some of these properties we may never see a full game for.
    Kevin_Hyattkiki180703
    So this is going from self appointed mods to when mods do something and shut a thread down for a specific reason, that reason is nebulous? It is rare a thread gets closed (except when asked for in marketplace). If it does, then there is obviously a reason. Mods usually indicate why.
    dannyrww said:
    So why don't we build a double-decker couch so everyone can watch TV together and be buddies........
    That would be disrupting the status quo.
    dannyrwwkiki180703SumoLego
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,807
    edited September 2015
    CCC said:

Sorry for the off topic post but there are some important points being brought up in this topic and rather than starting a new topic I will post here if that is ok.

I looked into this and here are my thoughts on the topics that were closed:

The second topic that was closed was a topic that already existed, so a link to that topic was all that was needed. Interestingly no one provided a link to the pre-existing topic.

The first topic closed was a should I buy this or that topic, now I would say that although a lot of people don't link these kinds of topics they do have some value. People don't have unlimited money and need to make choices about what to buy. You could say buy the one you want more but they are asking if anyone has bought, built and even played with one or both of the sets and has some insight on which is the better set. Yes it is subjective but so are most things. So although I understand it being closed I think it was unfair to call it totally pointless (sorry @Huw).

The third is the most interesting, it was not a repost of the first. It was saying I want to talk about something and want a place to do so, can I have this place. The answer was no although the administrator did this in a kind way which I can respect.

There was an interesting should I buy this or that conversation recently that showed this sort of topic can sometimes work. 

http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/4851/uk-s-h-deals#latest

The great thing is if you don't like this or that topics you don't have to read them or comment on them, you can just read and comment on things that do interest you. That way instead of these topics being full of 'buy the one you want' comments (like, like, like..) they can maybe have people giving some insight on the sets, is this not why we do reviews on the front page?

Now this topic has been taken over because of the very first comment, with out this comment this topic would have probably been long gone (if as people suggest it was not needed). If I see a topic that has many views and no comments I might pass it by, the only reason I saw this topic was because of the number of comments and again this was because a member has decided to become a moderator.

Now a big question, does brickset forum have a problem with any of the following; bullying, snobbery (looking down on people or topics because we don't think that they have vaule), members moderating (http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/comment/382028/#Comment_382027) and likes being used in a negative way (there is a reason we can't dislike a post but we have found away around this).

Aleydita
    The Mods have made it very clear this or that topics are not wanted here, as they are totally subjective. You might find them interesting, but mods have said no. And yes, people should read reviews and come to their own decision.

As for posting links to existing threads, if you do that (or at least if I do that) then the anti-self-appointed-mod brigade come out and say the discussion should remain or it is slightly different and self-appointed-mods shouldn't post links and hinder new discussion and so on. I have pretty good recall of many discussions over the past few years and I used to highlight existing threads. I do it much less these days because of it.
    SumoLego