Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Predictions on Discontinuing Sets and their Secondary Market Value

Comments

• Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 947
    I do believe the new Maersk is medium blue instead of the other shade of blue, but that was because the Maersk company actually changed their blue and it happened to be closer to LEGO medium blue. Very odd.

I don't own any of those sets. I don't even know what the Maersk company is, so none of those sets were appealing in that regard. Although the original blue was pretty I guess...
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 15,096
    M.A.S.K - Mobile Armored Strike Kommand

Wait a minute, that's something completely different.

Maersk is a company that ships stuff on big vessels all over the world.  I'm sure they'll one day merge with Wal-Mart and Google to create Buy 'n' Large.  And later, be responsible for an excellent Lego Ideas set.  And floating chairs.

Rainstorm26TheBigLegoskiPeteMkiki180703prevereVorpalRyuSethro3Vortexbobabricks
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,923
    So on Santa's Workshop...this was re-activated by LEGO only to become temporarily out of stock very quickly, correct?
  • TechnicNickTechnicNick Berkshire, UKMember Posts: 279
    Sethro3 said:
    I do believe the new Maersk is medium blue instead of the other shade of blue, but that was because the Maersk company actually changed their blue and it happened to be closer to LEGO medium blue. Very odd.

I don't own any of those sets. I don't even know what the Maersk company is, so none of those sets were appealing in that regard. Although the original blue was pretty I guess...
    Maersk the shipping company is the only other massive business in Denmark apart from Lego AFAIK, so the companies have close ties. Pretty sure it's Maersk that bulk ships Lego to distribution centres.
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,435
    edited September 2015
    ^^^
    Yes, especially floating chairs. We all need a floating chair; with a tiny drone hidden in the armrest that will fetch you a cold beverage whenever you get thirsty.
    VorpalRyu
    ^ I look forward to an all-Slurpee diet.
    VorpalRyukiki180703bobabricks
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,984
    Sethro3 said:
    Medium Azur, actually, but otherwise you're right on the money.

Maersk isn't a tremendously well-known company in the United States except perhaps in harbor towns that are used to seeing their huge ships (I saw one when I visited Savannah, Georgia a few years ago to look into the possibility of attending Savannah College of Art and Design). I've never seen a freight train with Maersk branding despite having spent a lot of time around trains in my lifetime. The most national attention I can remember Maersk getting over here was when that one ship got hijacked by Somali pirates. But it is a pretty huge company in Denmark, hence its close ties to LEGO.
  • goshe7goshe7 Columbus, Ohio, USAMember Posts: 515
    ^the actual maersk traintrain engine was a short lived promotional paint job to celebrate the opening of some line or port.  I frequently see maersk containers on trucks and trains.  

Agreed that I know maersk because of LEGO, and I'm probably not the only American with that perspective.
    Aanchir
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,825
    edited September 2015
    "Traintrain engine", as in choo choo engine? :)
    Lego_StarSumoLegokiki180703goshe7BumblepantsPitfall69
  • aldreddaldredd United KingdomMember Posts: 203
    Aanchir said: But it is a pretty huge company in Denmark, hence its close ties to LEGO.
    Yup - Mearsk are the largest sea freight operator in the world - but they're in fact a conglomerate, with interests in various other industries, including supermarkets (Netto, for example, will be familiar to most in Europe)

Loved the ship, but just looked a little repetitive as a build, so never quite got round to getting it.
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    I've seen Maersk shipping trucks in the USA, but only knew what they were because of sets Lego has released. I've always like the Lego Maersk sets though...especially the train.
    TheLoneTensorFollowsClosely
    Same concept as the Hess Truck in the US.  Although apparently, Speedway is "replacing" the Hess brand.
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    I have one final sealed Maersk Train copy that I've been holding on to for awhile.  Perhaps its time to list it.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,574
    edited September 2015
    I you have one left, I would keep it, as long as you are not short on space, money, or there is no rumor of it coming back, as I think it will go up. Just will take time (that and I think a lot of people were buying them when they were 100 USD per)
    Brickaholic
  • BrickaholicBrickaholic UKMember Posts: 342
    I you have one left, I would keep it, as long as you are not short on space, money, or there is no rumor of it coming back, as I think it will go up. Just will take time (that and I think a lot of people were buying them when they were 100 USD per)
    I agree, keep that set. It could be a classic!
  • KavsterKavster London, UKMember Posts: 75
    I was looking at buying this.
    What price range would be acceptable to pick it up right now?
    I'm willing to hold on to it for a while, but I don't want to pay too much now, to only break even in the future, or hardly any profit on it. As i'm sure is the case with everyone, ever.
    Wow, so Amazon US now has the #60052 cargo train for 139.99 USD.
    So is this set officially a dog now?
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFW/BGMember Posts: 7,358
    ^I think the biggest problem with that set is none of the freight cars are impressive. They are all essentially flat cars and do not provide either an interesting build or an interesting result. At that price though it wouldn't be bad to get just for the track, PF, and train parts to build decent looking freight cars with.
    madforLEGOTheLoneTensorYodalicious
  • thedingman5thedingman5 Great Lakes, USAMember Posts: 291
    ^ So, as someone not yet into trains, but with a couple of kids super interested in a train set...is this one, at this price, a decent first train set?  Or, would you advise that we start elsewhere in the train universe?  Thx!
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,937
    edited September 2015
    With Yoyo's current deal (15% off 2 certain themes) it's about this price, so perhaps more of a match?  If it's a dog of a set, it's certainly not because it's a crappy set.

^ So, as someone not yet into trains, but with a couple of kids super interested in a train set...is this one, at this price, a decent first train set?  Or, would you advise that we start elsewhere in the train universe?  Thx!
    Yes, $140 is a great price for this set to be your first train set.  Classic looking engine, lots to play with, switches, etc.  Grab it!
    thedingman5Pitfall69SirBen
    With Yoyo's current deal (15% off 2 certain themes) it's about this price, so perhaps more of a match?  If it's a dog of a set, it's certainly not because it's a crappy set.

Yes, $140 is a great price for this set to be your first train set.  Classic looking engine, lots to play with, switches, etc.  Grab it!
    While a dog primarily due to the price point, this set is a less than desirable train set IMO, at least compared to the last couple (to be fair I think the new #60098 Heavy Haul Train set is actually worse, specifically at the 200 USD price point). But for 140 USD it is a good price and too good to pass up if you are looking for a train set to start with. But at 200 USD this set is clearly a dog, so much so if Amazon is dropping this down to 140 USD.
    I just think that it missing the typical fare of train cars, or at least a couple, takes a lot away from this set hurts the value to me. No hopper, no tank car, no box car, and yes I still take issue with only one cow in the cattle.. gondola?
    Again for 140 USD though it still is OK, because of what you note. you get a lot of train a nice engine, and a little crane with office. and a ton of parts.
    thedingman5Pitfall69
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,110
    $140 is a decent price, because that's what it should cost to begin with.  $200 is robbery
    madforLEGOPitfall69
    edited September 2015
    I agree $200 is robbery, but saying it should be $140 msrp is a little exaggeration.

I kinda get the non-love for this set (really, 1 cow?), but at the end of the day, you won't find a full PF Lego freight train, with switches and extra buildings/vehicles for under $180 msrp again, ever.  And while you may find a price better than $140 for this set another time or place, it likely will be much harder to accomplish than this sale right here.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,453
    ^I like the engine and the freight station, albeit flimsy, but the cars are blah; I do like the forklift.
    SumoLego
  • SithLord196SithLord196 Member Posts: 1,161
    If I had the spare cash right now I'd probably be picking up #60052. Last I checked Toys R Us online had also reduced it to like $152.

The freight cars are kind of boring, as has been pointed out, but I like the engine with it, and you get a lot of track and the PF with it. 
  • brumeybrumey AustriaMember Posts: 1,002
    edited September 2015
    i also got a train set lately...

LEGO City Trains High-speed Passenger Train 60051 Building Toy         

for 90€

moc'ing it with skeletons and bones style engine! its gonna be my skeleton train of death. complete with skeleton horse riders beside it. bones skulls white black and silver... its gonna drive around my ninja fortress, which is gonna have a blacksmith, lava fountain, water surrounding, villains with katanas and lots of sorcerers and drunk girls!
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,984
    I actually really like #60052. I hadn't really thought about how the cars all being flatbed cars might be disappointing for people, but at the same time, I think the cargo itself is nice and different than what we typically expect (love the longhorn cattle and spools of cable), and the color scheme of the engine really stands out compared to other LEGO City trains. The crane also seems really nicely designed.

I wouldn't say $200 was overpriced. Motorized LEGO trains have always been expensive. #4563 cost $120 in 1991, which would equal over $200 in 2014 dollars. And that set had far fewer pieces, a lot less cargo, less track, and no station. Yet every single review here on Brickset rates it five stars.

With that said, trains in general are not as popular as they once were, especially in the United States. That's not just in terms of LEGO, but in general.
    FollowsClosely
  • dkprimusdkprimus RVAMember Posts: 31
    amazon has http://brickset.com/sets/60052-1 for 139 right now
    brickupdate
    That's a great price!
    wagnerml2 said:
    I have one final sealed Maersk Train copy that I've been holding on to for awhile.  Perhaps its time to list it.
    Kavster said:
    I'm willing to hold on to it for a while, but I don't want to pay too much now, to only break even in the future, or hardly any profit on it. As i'm sure is the case with everyone, ever.
    I took a gamble and picked one ( #10219 ) of these up. Paid under £200 for a BNIB sealed one.
    In it for the long term now, i'm hoping it is one of those sets that goes up in value. I was contemplating getting the #10241 or the #10155 ships to go with it.
    Does anyone think it's worth investing in one (or both) of those too?
  • TheUltimateTFOLTheUltimateTFOL Texas, USAMember Posts: 152
    edited September 2015
    I think you should wait and see on the train, maybe take a risk on the cheaper one. The Maersk sets are popular but I don't know if they will stay that way.

Also, any ideas on what the next one will be?
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 1,214
    That train (#10219) has already left the station, you would be better off going with a soon to retire set.

Bumblepantsjuggles7
    Well, I already have the train, 10219.
    so, should I hold on it, or sell it straight on?
    And, I was under the impression that all Maersk sets were retired at present?
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    They just retired the ship.  I could be wrong, but I think the next Lego Maersk item would be a train.  Sold a 10219 a couple weeks ago for $260.  I still have one or two left though.
    Kavster said:
    Build it?
    Bumblepantskiki180703SumoLego
  • jonboy2000jonboy2000 Member Posts: 259

Kavster said:
    I took a gamble and picked one ( #10219 ) of these up. Paid under £200 for a BNIB sealed one.
    In it for the long term now, i'm hoping it is one of those sets that goes up in value. I was contemplating getting the #10241 or the #10155 ships to go with it.
    Does anyone think it's worth investing in one (or both) of those too?
    Kavster said:

Asking people "What should I do?" and then making your mind up yourself is what you were going to do so it seems pointless asking people.  It's along the lines of the constant "what should I buy(to own yourself)" threads.
    You are not going to get very far in reselling if you can't make up your own strategy and constantly ask people to tell you what to do.
    Buying already long retired sets and trying to make a profit on them is a high risk strategy.  As has been pointed out you would be much better off buying a recently or about to retire set that has a lot more potential to rise in value.
    Sorry to sound a little harsh but if you read this thread then you should be able to get the idea of how it all works.

edited September 2015
    Normally I'd agree, but when it comes to selling, there are so many factors to consider, I think it's reasonable to ask some A vs B guidance, especially just starting out.

The truth is, you already made a mistake by buying the Maersk right now, hoping it'll go up even more.  It will, but not likely a ton.  You'd have gotten much more mileage from your money if you bought a modular or two.

I'd say just flip it right now as a wash and park your money elsewhere...or build it, because it's awesome.
    FollowsCloselykiki180703SumoLegomadforLEGO
  • VortexVortex Pakistan/USMember Posts: 342
    Derailing off here , but I had to say.. So I just noticed , Wall-e got the green in the US .great yaay! , but are $60 , was this not supposed to be for 50 ??

My first instinct was that the whole last minute delay be Lego , could it have a lot to do with Lego realising the popularity of the set and made some re pricing decision ? I' really do wonder.

it was a real sweet deal at that , regardless, I will still order it this moment, and Lego likely figured just that ....
    dougts
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,842
    TechnicNick said:

Maersk the shipping company is the only other massive business in Denmark apart from Lego AFAIK, so the companies have close ties. Pretty sure it's Maersk that bulk ships Lego to distribution centres.
    There is also Vestas and Velux for all of your windmill and skylight needs. ;P
    All comments noted.

To be fair, I went ahead and made a decision because I didn't have any replies.
    So, after asking about buying it, not hearing anything, I made my own choice in the end.
    And no, I didn't wait very long because I saw one for a decent price, and it didn't have time left to wait for replies. 

So then having bought it, I asked for advice around actually owning one.
    You know, as a new person to the community would do, ask advice from those more experienced and, perhaps, willing to give said advice.

I appreciate the feedback and advice given though.
    I'll put it away for a while, and then will see how I feel about building it in the near future. I still have so much else to build yet that I don't even have space for!
    I'm sure it can wait for a little while longer before I make a decision on it =]

• VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,318
    ^ GOLD!
    bobabricks
    Sounds like that Lego Leprechaun rumour of a 15,000 piece Millenium Falcon only available at TRU when the two suns of Tatooine allign...
    kiki180703VorpalRyuRailspharmjodPitfall69Goldchains
  • TheUltimateTFOLTheUltimateTFOL Texas, USAMember Posts: 152
    I keep waiting for Lego to trump the Taj Mahal but they still have yet to.
    kiki180703
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 1,001
    SumoLego said:
    What does this 'build it' phrase mean?  Is that the purpose of these products?

I am not understanding this concept.
    Have you ever looked at Targets web site...when it gives details about LEGO sets, is says "no assembly required" :)
    DougoutSumoLegokiki180703
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    edited September 2015
    <^Hahahaha, no way I'll hafta check that out next time

And careful with the MF rumors, no matter how outlandish they may sound you are bound to get a bunch of people's hopes up
    ^ Whew!

I was getting worried I'd have to put all of these damn things together!
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 1,001
    Yep, cant tell ya how much stress in my life that little statement has relieved! :)